• 954 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:07 AM

Northern tales of the sword coast [bg1]

Fighting encounters -> I won’t install anymore this component

Jastey provided a list of the encounters here:

https://www.gibberli...#comment-274608

Anyway...

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 31 December 2019 - 03:28 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#122 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:34 AM

Romantic encounters [bg1] – I advise everyone to try these components and to see if they enjoy them.

Some notes:

1) The components I’ll be reviewing are mentioned here:

https://www.gibberli...sts-encounters/

2) After playing these components I realized that even when they are decently written, I still find it hard to add them, especially when there is some sort of intimacy involved – sometimes with circumstances that do not happen anywhere again in the game, making the content itself feel like an “exception”, rather than a seamingless addition.

3) In fact there are some components that I could be considering adding if charname didn’t ask so blatantly sometimes to have sex or do something.

4) In the end, I think I will probably add one or two components, but I advise everyone to try them, because it’s all a matter of taste. 

I will probably reinstall:
- 17. Late Night with Jaheira
. This is a little banter with Jaheira – it doesn’t seem to be too much out of place.

- 32. Girdle of Gender Reactions

////////////////////////////

I will not install anymore:

2. Scar's Spare Time (prerequisition for bonus component "Scar - The Return")

Spoiler

6. Duke Eltan's Spare Minute (prerequisition for bonus component "Scar - The Return")

Spoiler

9. Bartus' Seduction

Spoiler

14. No Regrets.

Spoiler

18. Sil's Blessing

Spoiler

19. Melicamp: The Poultry Boy. After saving Melicamp, he shares with you a bottle of wine and...  Then he proposes to kiss you and do some other stuff.

22. The Mourning of Centeol, the Spider Lady

Spoiler

25. The Great Zudini.

Spoiler

- 26. The Messenger.

Spoiler

27. Ender Sai
You have sex with Ender Sai.
Bandit camp: AR1900
Friendly Arm inn: AR2300

28. The Novelists.
They write a book about your adventures. Last time you meet them they make you read their draft. You don’t get any reward.

29. The Honest Lies of Two Riversides

Spoiler

30. Necromancer's Trouble

Spoiler

31. Dinner with Thalantyr. 

Spoiler

34. All That Left Was.

Spoiler

35. A Childhood Friend.

Spoiler

43. Minor Disclosures

Spoiler

44. Cloakwood Lovers.

Spoiler

Bonus Quest: Scar - The Return

Spoiler

I do not have any interest for the following mods:

- 41. The Messenger 2: Rain or Snow or Gloom of Night

- 42. Camryn and Tamah

Edited by Sergio, 13 January 2020 - 01:45 PM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#123 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the review! I noted the issues.

And yes, I usually forget to add XP rewards to the little quests.

#124 EvilMax

EvilMax
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

The most interesting topics for all who is manually customizing BWP.

Sergio, huge thanx! Please, continue, if you have an ability. This experience is very useful to select most interesting, lore friendly and clean mods.

#125 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Jastey. I feel invigorated that you read my reports and think on them :P
Thanks EvilMax. I appreciate your support. <3

Now one more mod:

Anniversary mod [BG2] --> try it. I won’t reinstall it anymore

Story of the mod:

Spoiler

Personally, I enjoyed it and I advise to play it. Even if the mod starts with you having to fetch some items for a bard (and I hate very much fetch quests), in this mod they were made bearable by the creativity shown by the dialogues and the encounters you met. So I definitely commend the work put on the dialogues and the creativity shown by some of the encounters.

But... I’m hesitant about installing it again. Why?

Spoiler

Thanks for this mod.

Edited by Sergio, 13 January 2020 - 01:46 PM.

#126 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:40 AM

Sergio,

Have you ever tried Mysteries of the Sword Coast?: http://athkatla.cob-...opic.php?t=7667

It's a BGEE mod made by Zed Nocear. It was written in Polish, but it was translated to English by Polish modders and translators. I did not play it yet (waiting for EET version), but it's advertised as really well blend in into original game, which might be something you'll be interested in. It's not particularly well known outside Polish community, but it's well written, so I heard.

#127 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

Sergio,

9. Appropriate Albert and Rufie Reward -> if you use BGT or EE I think it is now redundant.

(bg1ub) what the component from bg1ub does is replace the BGT reward "Bandit Scalb" with a Horn Coral Gem. So, yes youget a reward in BGT but bg1ub component changes what you get.

#128 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:29 AM

@Cahir: thanks for informing me, but the mod seems to be mostly in polish.

@Jastey: Thank you. I added a corrected review.

NTSC --> Try this mod. I doubt I will be reinstalling it.

From weidu: ~NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC) for BGT-Weidu, BG:EE, and EET: 3.2.0

Version played: 3.2.0. Downloaded from Githhub (https://github.com/S...ases/tag/v3.2.0)

Before playing the mod, I advise everyone to take a look at the changelog and realize how much work went into this mod since version 2.0. Thank you Jastey, Angel/Made in Heaven and K4thos for refining this mod!

I enjoyed NTSC and I suggest trying it. One playthrough left me satisfied enough to not reinstall it.

Some notes:

Spoiler

Now let’s go to the quests:

Spoiler

I also publish a simple walkthrough for the people having difficulties with the mod. The walkthrough I’m publishing cares little for linearity and is mostly done to finish NTSC.

Spoiler

Thanks for this mod, I enjoyed it.

Edited by Sergio, 03 March 2020 - 11:14 AM.

#129 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:32 AM

Ascalon questpack -> Try it. I’m not going to reinstall it.

From weidu
~AC_QUEST/AC_QUEST.TP2~ #1 #0 // Ascalon's Questpack: 2.05

- A Job Well-Paid

Spoiler

- A Feast for the Gnolls

Spoiler

- The great Carlini

Spoiler

- Fangirls 

Spoiler

- A Home for the Gibberlings

Spoiler

- The lost son

Spoiler

- Of Wolves and Men

Spoiler

- Flopsy

Spoiler

- The Serpents of Abbathor

Spoiler

[BG2]Missing son
You are asked to find the missing son of a halfling. For saving them, you get

Spoiler

Thanks for the mod, I enjoyed it.

Edited by Sergio, 03 March 2020 - 11:14 AM.

#130 khelban12

khelban12
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

Sergio, thank you for your reviews. They are a great read.

If it is not much trouble, from now on can you please mention the version of the mod (as it is written in weidu.log for example "v2.3 BWP Fix") alongside its name ? I think it will be helpful for readers to know, especially in the case where you mention bugs that you had with the mod.

#131 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:14 AM

Sergio, thank you for your reviews. They are a great read.

If it is not much trouble, from now on can you please mention the version of the mod (as it is written in weidu.log for example "v2.3 BWP Fix") alongside its name ? I think it will be helpful for readers to know, especially in the case where you mention bugs that you had with the mod.

A bit late, but I provided what you are looking for in the last two reviews.

Edited by Sergio, 03 March 2020 - 11:15 AM.

#132 Endarire

Endarire
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 10:17 PM

@Sergio
Greetings!  How true is it that you generally have preferred roleplaying/romance-focused quest mods?  That's the feeling I got from skimming your review verdicts to minimize spoilers.

#133 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:23 AM

Tangled Oak -> Try it. I’m not going to reinstall it.

~TANGLEDISLE/TANGLEDISLE.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Tangled Oak Isle: the new area of Athkatla -> Yes, but don't patch existing save games: 0.93

The focus of this review is not going to be the little quests that can be found on the area, but only the main quest.

I think every player will be lured to the center of the area, where a great oak can be witnessed in his beauty. Near the oak you got your quest giver (Finn) that will make the main quest start.  

Main quest story

Spoiler

My considerations.

Spoiler

Thanks for the mod.

Edited by Sergio, 22 July 2020 - 10:26 AM.

#134 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:42 PM

If you ever take requests, Sergio, or if you actually have former experience about them, I would like to hear your opinion about:

Rouge Rebalancing's

- Chosen of Cyric Encounter
  - Shadow Thief Improvements

Endless BG1's

- More Flavor to Hero of Baldur's Gate
  - Sarevok's Sword
  - Imoen and Duke Jannath (Imoen Gets Residence Inside Palace)
  - Duke Eltan Is in the Palace
  - Flaming Fist After Final Fight
  - Elminster Makes an Appearance (Restored BG1)
  - Denkod in Thieves' Guild Comments on Sarevok's Death

and Almateria's Restoration Project (all components).

Cheers!  :cheers:

Edited by Salk, 29 November 2022 - 05:43 PM.

#135 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 11:52 PM

Salk: Why don't you list all of EndlessBG1's components?

#136 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:50 AM

Hello, jastey!

Some components are EE-only and I could not possibly install them on BGT;)

But of course Sergio is more than welcome to reviewing every single component.

#137 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:13 AM

Some components are EE-only and I could not possibly install them on BGT.

Aah, that makes sense.

#138 Noxou

Noxou
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for this useful topic. It helped me make a decision regarding a few mods i hesitated to add/remove. I like that you are unforgiving in your reviews, despite them being read by mod authors. You have high standards, to which i can definitely relate, and this is the reason why we can appraise these works fairly.

Edited by Noxou, 30 April 2023 - 04:50 PM.

#139 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:56 AM

So, I've posted a few reviews on Gibberlings 3 forum while SHS was down. Just for posterity reasons, I will copy them here

Note that the Author have answered my reviews here: https://www.gibberli...ergios-reviews/ (I will probably copy their answer just to give a full round up)

Dark Tidings. Version played: 1.0.  - Play this mod. I didn’t regret playing it; see if you enjoy it.

[Story – obviously, spoilers] 
Spoiler

So, the good:
- The sceneries and landscapes are pretty good. Acifer is really talented. Whenever I see stuff from him or Gorion I have to take a look.
- The dialogues are not bad; there is choices when you answer to people. The English used is understandable and I didn’t notice any incomprehensible statement.
- The story is crystal clear; you know what to do from beginning to the end.

My gripes with the mod:
Spoiler

1) The story offers, sadly, no real RP option. It’s true, in the dialogues you can choose to not act as a smartass/jerk, but once you’ve exhausted the options, it always ends in a bloodbath. I guess that the creatures being used do not exactly offer many alternatives; sea trolls are not exactly rational and sirenes are usually really territorial.

2) There is a moment in the story where you suggest the player that he has to make a choice: either he could save the world by risking to destroy the gem to cleanse the evil in the island, or just flee from the island by using the gem to make the light needed for ships to dock and leave the evil in the island.
I will be genuinely sincere with you: I knew from moment one that there were no real stake and the gem wouldn’t be destroyed; as a player, you pretty much know that the “threat” of this happening is simply not real. After all, there wouldn’t be a game to play if that happened. This doesn’t mean that there couldn’t be consequences of any kind – the gem could be really destroyed; the npcs with you would ponder the stake of what you’ve done, even by getting, let’s say “aggressive” (but not hostile).

Really, what I would do is just make it so that the gem gets destroyed and the undead knight would notice that; to the point where he would even say that by dieing in the island, you did such an act that you earned your good afterlife. Obviously <charname> would tell him that a good afterlife is not what he had in mind. The ghost would take note of it; then he would disappear.
After a couple of weeks someone would come get you, with a scroll saying that *the undead knight* had appreciated your help and he had asked some higher powers to actually save you. And that he met some resistance due to your special heritage, wishing for you to always behave like that, choosing good over your own sake. And with a bag of 1k, or why not, a crystal to light the lighthouse so you can get the 1k from the quest-giver.

3) I don’t understand why a gem that can be used as a beacon to bring Gods that are imprisoned in far-away realms is being used as a light in the lighthouse. I think such an artifact would be way too strong to be there. 
4) There is no evil path available for an Evil player. It’s not like there is bound to be another choice, because the God being summoned is not the right kind of God to make deals. If only it was another… if only it was a rational evil god..
Do you wonder, as an evil player, what I would have liked to see if the god that was being summoned was rational? When I play mods I always hope that you can get some boons you wouldn’t be getting by doing the right choice. Other mod authors would have simply made it so that you could ally with him and he would simply give you his cloak; but I find that only a pretentious way to say “hey, I’ve got an evil path covered”, only to see that it’s a path where you get half the goods and half the boons you would be getting by being good.
Not only that; the God should also:
- ask you to kill the Undead knight that was trying to sabotage his summoning and helping you, the reward being what he drops if you face the God itself.
- ask you to use the gem to bring “new” followers to the island; how? You simply put the gem in the spot it should be; whoever comes saving you should actually ask you what happened, and you should suggest them to go into the portal by tempting them with riches and wonders beyond every imagination, only for them to be charmed by the God;
- the new charmed followers should bring you back home, but the God could actually ask you to take the gem with you, so more boats would appear at the island for him to get new charmed npcs and why not, followers;
- finally, the God would give you a choice: he would tell you that he could give you another boon if you bring the gem to one of his followers, that is waiting somewhere in athkatla; so you could choose between (hopefully):
> more than 1k gold by selling the gem to someone that may be interested in it (I think someone in the thieves guild would: especially considering that the gem is such a strong artifact), or
> giving it to one of the dark follower to the god to help the second part of the avatar appear (and getting another boon in exchange).

Edited by Sergio, 02 December 2023 - 03:57 AM.

#140 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:00 AM

Black hearts (finished 26/06/2023) --> according to me, this is currently the best quest mod available for BG1. Install and play it. I even think that it could be a stable additions in my install all the times I will be playing BG.

You can find informations about the mod here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/82484/released-black-hearts-bg1/p1

Given that the post above highlights what the mod adds, I will simply write my thoughts.

- If you told me this mod was a mini-dlc, I would have fallen for it. In my eyes, the mod matches a mini-dlc in quality and it is masterfully executed.

- Illasera is a captivating character and you enjoy talking with her; so much that I kinda loathed when the mod ended. I wanted more.

- The dialogues added by the mod are meaningful, provide enough choices for any character, and when the party members chime in to banter, their banters are on point. Well done on Imoen, especially.

- The quests given by Illasera are funny and provide RP choices. The RP choices do not punish you for going evil. That’s a fresh breath of air for me, considering that I play only evil <charnames>.

- The new sceneries are well done. Did you make them @AWizardDidIt?

- I liked the surprise you left with the

Spoiler

. The dialogue there was good too.

- You won’t believe it, but I liked that you respected the player’s agency. I will give you an example. Other mods (such as Assassination) do not respect player agency by forcing the player to read everything the modders themselves have written. In this one, in the end fight, you can simply click the first dialogue option, and the “bad” guy won’t speak or tell your motives. You go straight to business. That’s a bold choice. I enjoyed it a lot.

Some things to report (I played this mod in BG:EE)

1) I had some difficulties in the quest concerning the mirror. I didn’t expect that the “solution” was supposed to be provided with dialogue. I used Tiax and he has nothing to say for what is happening. I know it’s probably hard to write for him. Anyway, either get Branwen or Ajantis to proceed.
Also, a cleric <charname> should be able to do the exorcism himself.

2) It’s not easy to find the “northern gorge”; you’ve decided to make the way out only in the middle of Farmlands, and by doing so, I had some difficulties finding it. I was able to by using CTRL+4 after clicking “explore” in the map.

3) I met a bug inside the new sewer area. When you meet the girl mage and his second in command, she flees because she tells you that another area is currently under attack.
The issue is that when you enter the area (see 00:02 in the video I will be publishing a bit below), there is only 1 Cherise and Malachi, but they get duplicated instantly. And after finishing the first talk with Cherise, you get a second talk, that you are supposed to see only when you’ve finished the quest mod (in the Sanctum area).

Video here: https://streamable.com/68l8w6
Savegame here (the archive also contains the video): https://easyupload.io/bp35vb 

4) Second thing to report is inside the Sanctum area: the sanctum portal has an issue with a graphical line (the archive above has everything)

5) Read the following images.

Spoiler

Some questions, as a player:

Spoiler

Said this, thanks really a lot for this mod. I loved it. 

Edited by Sergio, 02 December 2023 - 04:01 AM.