Baldur's Gate Trilogy v1.21

info release

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#61 -Arthas-

-Arthas-

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:33 PM

There are people that do not use widescreen, so please don't forget them :P

Edited by Arthas, 15 January 2020 - 02:34 PM.

#62 Kilivitz

Kilivitz
  • Modder
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

A centered dialogue box with a dynamic width would be awesome, but would either require changing Widescreen code or, like you said, overwriting the MOS and CHU files on top of it (restricting the player's resolution options like iconomov's mod). Moreover, Widescreen tends to push most other elements towards the left anyways; these would also have to be adjusted to complete the new look. A lot of busy work which will most likely get in the way of Widescreen allowing for custom resolutions. Worth it?

I'm guessing no, not worth it.

To be completely honest, I don't believe there's any ideal solution regarding widescreen for the original games. Sure, with some effort, one can get the main gameplay window to look perfect. But then, every time you open a different menu, the sidebars clump back up and you're left with the black borders that widescreen res is supposed to avoid in the first place. Considering how much time one spends in these other menus while playing, well, it kinda defeats the purpose when you think about it. There's also the fact that the fog of war was implemented with a 640x480 resolution in mind.

I know I may be in the minority here, but I think the ideal way to play these games is to just stick to one of the original, supported resolutions, widescreen be damned. To anyone who thinks black bars are a dealbreaker, well, I suppose there are the EEs for that. Also - these people are the reason The Simpsons got mangled by Disney+. But I digress.

To sum it up - I think your proposed solution of narrowing the text without making further changes to be good enough.

Edited by Kilivitz, 15 January 2020 - 03:21 PM.

#63 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

I actually agree with you 100% about resolution, Kilivitz.

I do play my older games 4:3.

Edited by Salk, 15 January 2020 - 10:45 PM.

#64 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:06 AM

I do play my older games 4:3.
Even with a 65" monitor ? Ouh yeah, you don't have one. Dismissed. PS, that's not a TV... but a high refresh monitor, and it can be felt in the price.
As in, the thing is, you can play the game with the 1024x768 resolution or you could use the widescreen mod, get your screen into full use and utilize say resolution such as 1366x768, if it's too small to display the entirety thing to your liking.

Edited by The Imp, 16 January 2020 - 01:18 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#65 -Arthas-

-Arthas-

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

Do you all favor BGT over Tutu? Wondering why no one seems to be a fan of TUTU here :P

#66 chuft

chuft
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:26 AM

When I tried to play BG1 using Tutu, I could not complete it due to bugs and crashes. I lost patience with it and havent gone back.

#67 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

Well, TUTU was a thing in the past and people got over it, like a brindge it provided a foundation. Heh. Just kidding, sort of. Yes, there were multiple people that liked Tutu far more than BGT(-weidu), but the Tutu stopped from having adding support features a long time in the past and then the EE games came about. Now, it can be said that without Tutu, there wouldn't be BGT-weidu, the EE games nor many of the other mods.. it's inpack was a large as the moons was in the night sky, but it's all in the past. Just like the CA is, IWD-in-BG2, Shadowhand, BGT, IA... etc.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#68 -Arthas-

-Arthas-

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:03 AM

When I tried to play BG1 using Tutu, I could not complete it due to bugs and crashes. I lost patience with it and havent gone back.

Chuft, I'm still happy you are out there. Hopefully, you'll do another playthrough and actually report other bugs! 

@The imp: got it, thank you.

#69 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

bg1ub Elminster encounter: will be disabled for BGT in next bg1ub version.

EDIT: I made a mistake, the Coran & the Wyvern component works for BGT as intended. Disregard this request.

-----

One thing I noticed for Coran's greetings dialogue:

His first greetings dialogues (three depending on Reaction) check for NumberOfTimesTalkedTo(0).

Spoiler

There is also state in case the PC rejected the first time: number 7 (~Perhaps you've changed your minds about my offer from before.  Come now, it would be quite the adventure.~).

But: if Coran's first approach is rejected right away, NumTimesTalkedTo is resetted to 0 (state 3:

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from: 0.1 1.1
  SAY #77403 /* ~No problem, though you are missing quite the little adventure.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetNumTimesTalkedTo(0)
~ EXIT
END

Meaning, Coran will always say his first intro line and never reach the "second greetings" line of state 7:

IF WEIGHT #4 /* Triggers after states #: 12 even though they appear after this state */
~  GlobalLT("ENDOFBG1","GLOBAL",2)
~ THEN BEGIN 7 // from: 
  SAY #77409 /* ~Perhaps you've changed your minds about my offer from before.  Come now, it would be quite the adventure.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #77410 /* ~Still not interested.~ */ EXIT
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #77411 /* ~Okay, what do you have to say?~ */ GOTO 4
END

- from which he also tells the details (state 4) if the PC is now ready to listen.

I would recommend removing the DO ~SetNumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ from state 3 to make the dialogue flow naturally.

EDIT: This opens the problem (?) that now he could be recruited for low Reaction values by talked to twice. If you want to prevent that, the DO ~SetNumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ would need to be added to state 2 where he refuses to talk to the PC at all:

IF WEIGHT #3 /* Triggers after states #: 12 even though they appear after this state */
~  NumberOfTimesTalkedTo(0)
GlobalLT("ENDOFBG1","GLOBAL",2)
ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy(Myself),NEUTRAL_LOWER)
~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from:
  SAY #77402 /* ~Sorry to be so abrupt, but I haven't time for monotonous chit chat.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetNumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ //makes sure Coran will say this until Reaction Value of PC is high enough for friendlier lines

EXIT
END

Either way, the Coran & Wyverns component from bg1ub will be deactivated for BGT: the Wyvern is already unique in BGT, and currently the "Coran dialogue fix" destroys Coran's greetings dialogue for BGT. Or maybe I shouldn't judge this just by looking at the code. Will investigate this again.

Edited by jastey, 19 January 2020 - 06:45 AM.

#70 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:46 AM

I made a mistake, the Coran & the Wyvern component works for BGT as intended. Disregard my above request.

...Although I still think it would make much sense to change this in original BGT.

#71 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

Although I still think it would make much sense to change this in original BGT.

OK, I'll add it then. Thanks :)

#72 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

Cool! It might be a good idea to check whether my suggestion makes sense, as I did not tst ingame.

Do you have a rough estimate when there will be the update? If it's longer, then I'd re-open the Coran and the Wyvern component from bg1ub until then.

#73 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:09 AM

Do you have a rough estimate when there will be the update?

Around summer.

#74 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:26 PM

Thanks!

#75 -Arthas-

-Arthas-

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:15 AM

I saw the first post and you list the following components:

* Angelo notices Shar-teel at the Flaming Fist HQ
* Restore the original Albert and Rufie reward
* Additional Elminster Encounter

Aren't these already inside BGT? I mean, without having to install UB.

Restore the original Albert and Rufie reward

Spoiler

Angelo Notices Shar-teel

BGT doesn't include the fix, i.e., the short exchange between Angelo and Shar-teel present in the dialogue files remains unused. The component name is a bit misleading: he does notice Shar-teel in BGT, but his parting speech triggers immediately when you talk to him (as in the original BG1).

Coran and the Wyverns

BGT includes only the unique wyvern fix. Coran still introduces himself again even if the player refused him and part of his dialogue file remains unused without BG1UB.

Albert and Rufie reward: is it a good choice to leave the reward like it is right now? I mean, why did Baldurash change it? Wouldn't it just be better for "consistency" reasons to opt for BG1UB's choice (EE did that too).

Angelo notices Sharteel: Do you know if BGT handling is the same as EE? I'm also curious about the same for EE.

Coran and the Wyverns: Does this differ from what EE does? And with UB?

#76 effed

effed
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:38 PM

How do I download 1.21? The 'Downloads' link at the top of this page gets a SQL error. 

#77 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:48 AM

How do I download 1.21? The 'Downloads' link at the top of this page gets a SQL error. 

Try the "bgt-v1.21.zip" at the bottom of this page.

#78 effed

effed
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:31 AM

Try the "bgt-v1.21.zip" at the bottom of this page.

Thank you! I don't know how i missed that. Thank you so much!

#79 Vlan

Vlan
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:23 AM

Is there a changelog page somewhere for BGT?

Wanna see what fixes have been implemented from v1.18 onwards.

#80 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

Is there a changelog page somewhere for BGT?

https://spellholdstu...dme.htm#version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: info, release