• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Roberciiik

Roberciiik
  • Modder
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:40 PM

Hi,

I would like to ask for permission to disable language-specific sounds. In my opinion if mod is fully translated, English sounds (Will O'Hara soundset as of now) are confiusing and even annoying for non-english mod selection. As far as I understand, I need to comment/delete the following section in tp2 file:

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~ntotsc/language/english/ogg~ ~^.+\.ogg$~ BEGIN
	ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS ~ntotsc/language/%LANGUAGE%/ogg/%BASH_FOR_FILE%~ BEGIN
		COPY ~%BASH_FOR_FILESPEC%~ ~ntotsc/language/%LANGUAGE%/ogg~
	END
END

Should I change something more in the code?

Game engine will replace missing sounds with text messages in console so correct translation for sound will be displayed.

What do you think about this?

#2 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:46 PM

I see your point, but some players might want to have a soundset nontheless. Another possibility would be to alter the Will O'Hara component into two install choices: with sounds, or without sounds. Or, add another optional component that removes the sounds if the player installs it. I'll ponder this a bit more.

#3 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:06 PM

And if the obviousness of the answer is to be questioned, I'll just give it here; Any mod you install onto your computer is yours to do with how ever you wish, as long as you are then willing to take responsibility of those choises.

And yes, you can just quote out the code: Aka you add these, (with Notepad)

/*

<code>

*/

to the above...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:28 AM

I see your point, but some players might want to have a soundset nontheless. Another possibility would be to alter the Will O'Hara component into two install choices: with sounds, or without sounds. Or, add another optional component that removes the sounds if the player installs it. I'll ponder this a bit more.

Or you could externalize it in metada file, using variable c#english_soundset = 1. By default, the mod would install English soundset. If the player does not want them, he/she has to set the variable to 0. All you have to do is add those lines above and below your code:

ACTION_IF c#english_soundset BEGIN

your code

END

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#5 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like the easiest solution, coding wise.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:59 AM

The code doesn't work ...

ACTION_IF c#english_soundset = !"#¤%&/"!"#¤ BEGIN

your code

END

Needs to be set to something... for the code to innitialize. Either you set it at at a meta data file or elsewhere... doesn't matter, it NEEDs to be READ. And so only the above doesn't work, so when you come up a solution idea, it would be nice to have it fully in the response.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#7 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 06:40 AM

Add those lines in your ini metadata file

[Mod_content]
# 1 = install English soundsets (by default).
# 0 = don't install English soundsets.
your_variable=1

Then copy lib folder into your mod folder and add the append_tp2.tp2 file into your tp2 and modify yourmod and your_variable names according to your needs.

Attached Files

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#8 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:55 AM

Thanks! I downloaded it and will have a look at it.

#9 Roberciiik

Roberciiik
  • Modder
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:35 AM

Using single place (ini file) to change this would be great! I think that subcomponent for Will O'Hara component would do job as well or even better because you don't need to modify mod content. And yes, in my local installation I removed ogg directory to disable english soundset but it is uncomfortable to do this for each update/installation.

#10 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:21 AM

@Gwendolyne While I appreciate you will to help, it is not good solution. When it comes to 'install something or not' it's allays best to use subcomponets because debugging information is lost. Also weidu.log won't have this info and it might lead to false bug report regarding 'missing soundset'.

Lastly, PI metadata file is not intended to be used for anything other than mod metadata. Mod configuration (if any) should atleaset have 'config' in their name.

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#11 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for your head up ALIEN. The missing info for debug is indeed bad.

But, if there is an old mod which would would need to be recoded, externalizing is a fast way of making the mod compatible with PI without much effort.

Or in this case: Will O'Hara is a "silent" NPC with no banter or dialogues. I will not recode the mod so this not-much-used NPC gives a choice between English soundset yes/no. I prefer spending the time with updating another, more popular  mod.

#12 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:54 AM

Lack of time should not be a reason to implement things badly. It's not a case when you quickly need to fix game-breaking bug, this feature request can wait when you will have more time or someone else could contribute. Besides, putting "Will O'Hara copy sound code" into separate component very easy solution with few lines of code. 

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#13 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:09 AM

What about making a quick and dirty possibility now and implementing something better later?

Even if it would take only 5 minutes (which it doesn't because I'd have to test it on three platforms and for at least two lanugage versions each) - I have a list with roughly 2000 "only 5 minutes" things on my modding to do list.

But sure - without trying to sound snippy - I have no problem saving my time and waiting for a contribution regarding this. It's really not worth the time (no offence, Roberciiik).

#14 Roberciiik

Roberciiik
  • Modder
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:33 AM

I know that it is not a very important change. That's why I opened discussion instead of asking for patch. I think I can try to implement subcomponent (with testing on Windows) and give you results to review. Subcomponent is much better idea than my initial solution. Thanks!

#15 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:09 AM

Great! I am willing to spend time for this, just not more than I think is appropriate.

#16 Roberciiik

Roberciiik
  • Modder
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:28 AM

Ok, I prepared subcomponent in the pull request https://github.com/S.../NTotSC/pull/14

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NTotSC