Photo

The aTweaks download is infected with viruses

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dalinoth

Dalinoth
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:06 AM

I am a new player to BG2 EE and I just tried to download the aTweaks file to my BG2 EE steamapps/common/BG2EE folder.  During the download, my McAfee virus protection blocked the file transfer because it contained viruses.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Can someone from the aTweaks team please check on this? Thanks. 

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:30 AM

Well, the only thing I can say is that apparently McAfee is a bad virus protection program, see it checks for virus like code, not virus code and checks it's own database of programs that are allowed to have the same code, and if the program you have doesn't match any, the file is not allowed to be downloaded. See the cash flow problem there in ? Since the weidu.exe(in this case renamed to setup-modname.exe to take orders from similarly named setup-modname.tp2 -file) is a free program made by our own community, we don't have the mula(aka money) to get big cash rackets to allow our small little programs to exist. That is unless you don't trust those entities. Yeah, there are several false virus claims for years now. A little desclamer there, I didn't learn this from Jarno Mikkola, since technically I am him.

Edited by The Imp, 16 April 2020 - 08:40 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Dalinoth

Dalinoth
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Jarno for letting me know.  Just curious, what virus protection software do you consider not "bad" then?

#4 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:14 AM

I confirm that the DL is safe. Obviously, it is a false positive. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#5 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:33 AM

I had also false positive with either aTweaks or Rogue Rebalancing (don't remember which one now) and also with EEex. I'm using Bitdefender, which I definitely not consider as "bad" virus protection.

#6 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:11 AM

It seems to be due to WeiDU exe. White list it and it should be fine.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#7 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:16 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Gwendolyne" data-cid="609011" data-time="1587060675"><p>
It seems to be due to WeiDU exe. White list it and it should be fine.</p></blockquote>

Yeah, it's exactly what I did. I'm curious, though, why only some mods get false-positive. Is it possible that some specific WeiDu version is generating these false positives?

#8 Dalinoth

Dalinoth
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Cahir and Gwendolyne. I adjusted McAfee and downloaded the aTweaks file.  On a complete tangent, do either of you know of a mod (other than an archer kit) that fixes the nerfs made to bows and archery ammunition in BG2?

#9 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:29 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Gwendolyne" data-cid="609011" data-time="1587060675"><p>
It seems to be due to WeiDU exe. White list it and it should be fine.</p></blockquote>

Yeah, it's exactly what I did. I'm curious, though, why only some mods get false-positive. Is it possible that some specific WeiDu version is generating these false positives?

It depends on weidu version and antivirus type. I believe main reason for this is the fact that weidu uses UPX executable packer.

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#10 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:37 AM

It seems to be due to WeiDU exe. White list it and it should be fine.

Yeah, definitely a bad anti-virus program if a slave can petition to white list a program.

Truly there isn't any good anti-virus programs, just like there isn't any anti-virus hand sanitizers. Because the virus are not living organisms, you can't kill them, you need SOAP. Imagine then finding s news report of a German study of finding dead viruses and RNA in their near enviroments, while saying that they can't find a live one. -right.

My advice, don't use any critical data on your computer you play games with that you aren't willing to abandon on the fly. Credit cards, Social identification, IP address etc. 

Edited by The Imp, 16 April 2020 - 11:03 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#11 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:37 PM

I have checked it out, and can confirm that this is a false positive virus detection.  VirusTotal reports only 4 antivirus products (out of a long list) have an issue with this file, and of those, the only one I even recognize is McAfee.  I have submitted it for review as a false positive to SecureAge APEX, McAfee, and Trapmine.  I don't have contact info for whatever Cylance is.  For reference, fairly extensive instructions for how to submit false positives to most of the anti-virus companies can be found here.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage