Photo

Starting anew

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

So I have "decided" to reinstall and start everything from scratch.

Long story short: DLTCEP is the only tool able to fix lost character names in a multiplayer game with created NPCs. But it will break the baldur.gam and make every save and every new game have the map- and container-state of your old party. The game becomes unplayable. If imprisonment deletes character names in a multiplayer game, reload. Don't. Ever. Fix.

My last installation was old and based on BWS. I have not been following the forum for a long time since I just played, almost everything worked as intended.

I have tried to catch up and understand that BWS is abandoned, respectively turned into an exclusive EE tool by someone ... uncooperative.

Please don't tell me I have to download every mod manually (classic game and BWP)?

Please tell me there is a link list at least, featuring the ~ 3 big modding sites since most mods used to be hosted there?

Is there an overview or documentation presenting most of the mods in a nutshell?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

Well, there's the Project Infinity that's from ALIENQuake and others, old BWS makers have started.

I personally have not used it. as I haven't made a BG2 installs to actually play them for a long time.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:49 PM

I had tried that before posting, it is an installation manager and cannot download or hint sources.

#4 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

Is chosenofmystra down or has it moved? What happened to their mods?

#5 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:13 AM

You can find them here. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#6 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:31 AM

I had tried that before posting, it is an installation manager and cannot download or hint sources.

Ofc it can, just use 'Download Mods' button. It doesn't have all mods but all rest you can download from SHS, G3 or Beamdog. If you expect some-kind of list which will require 24/7 maintenance then you are out of luck. 

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#7 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:32 AM

Ofc it can, just use 'Download Mods' button. It doesn't have all mods but all rest you can download from SHS, G3 or Beamdog. If you expect some-kind of list which will require 24/7 maintenance then you are out of luck.

But you could actually lead people to the correct address, rather than lead them to the hub page file, not the actual release. Which is only additional "/release/" added to the hubs direct github address. Other services have different things of course, but that's besided the point.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#8 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:59 AM

But you could actually lead people to the correct address, rather than lead them to the hub page file, not the actual release. Which is only additional "/release/" added to the hubs direct github address. Other services have different things of course, but that's besided the point.

What? The "Download=" link? It's not need to be used when mod is hosted at GitHub, PI has auto-update feature. And what about mods which don't have releases? Did you actually ever use PI at all?

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

#9 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:08 AM

My Mistake, I had no download folder chosen. So, I manually have downloaded all mods I found in between. If I point PI to this folder now, will it delete or overwrite the content of the folder or will it sort and classify what can already be found there?

#10 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:15 AM

My Mistake, I had no download folder chosen. So, I manually have downloaded all mods I found in between. If I point PI to this folder now, will it delete or overwrite the content of the folder or will it sort and classify what can already be found there?

If you extract all mods the PI is able to detect them, it wont delete anything or overwrite already existing directories.

#11 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:49 AM

You can find them here. ;)

Thanks!

#12 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:52 AM

If you extract all mods the PI is able to detect them, it wont delete anything or overwrite already existing directories.

I have download two mods I had forgotten with PI. They were downloaded as folders and not packed, and no Setup.exe file included. Is that intended? Being used to BWP, packed mods are normal... And I'm unsure if I should use BWP 18.2.5 or PI now… which one will give a better (if applicable) installation order result?

#13 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:37 AM

I have download two mods I had forgotten with PI. They were downloaded as folders and not packed, and no Setup.exe file included. Is that intended? Being used to BWP, packed mods are normal... And I'm unsure if I should use BWP 18.2.5 or PI now… which one will give a better (if applicable) installation order result?

Yes, that's intended. BWP is only for classic game versions, not EE. PI doesn't have build-in install order (and never will because it require 24/7 maintenance), you need to create one by yourself or use existing ones created by others.

Edited by ALIEN, 04 May 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#14 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:49 AM

I have a working installation now... well, almost. I have a very specific problem of playing BGT with an english SoA/ToB and a german BG1/TotSC. The result is I have no text in BG1 dialogues except mods.

I chose english as my BWP Installation language and EN GE as preferred languages for mods. If I install with german as BWP language, I have no text in SoA/ToB core.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: checking with NI, BG1 creatures have english dialogues, I just do not see them.

Attached Files

Edited by Bloodtitan, 07 May 2020 - 10:05 AM.

#15 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:38 PM

It's not hard to pin down, it must be something done by BGT or BWP. Also, the combining of these two base games in different languages has worked flawlessly till at least 2015.

#16 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:10 PM

I found the culprits... I have ~5.5k empty .dlg files in my override folder. The problem is when I delete them and start the game, creatures that initiate dialogue have no dialogue at all. I can see them trying to start a dialog but nothing happens.

Also, it seem to be .dlg files from or changed by various mods. The unchanged core dialogues of bg1 work, allthough in english now. That's perfectly fine.

That would mean to me that BWP is the cause of this, not BGT.

#17 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:21 AM

I found the culprits... I have ~5.5k empty .dlg files in my override folder.

Hah, well, one mod then used DECOMPILE_DLG_TO_D rather than DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH ... or things. And it's not BWP, but one of the mods. You could --change-log one of the files, but I have my doubts that that might also fail.

#18 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:31 AM

Going a different way right now, deleted everything and reinstalled the core game, ran BWP unpacker and fixpack and manually installing every mod according to the sequence in BWP as well as my former weidu.log.

I still think that BWP did what you say because I started a game and immediately three of three mods in candlekeep had no dialog... too bad quota to have this caused by every mod itself.

#19 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:28 AM

I found something during the installation: 1pp GUI enhancement has an option that does not go to weidu.log which is changing fonts. This option has a warning regarding foreign languages. It could be that.

#20 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:53 AM

I have an installation without the dialog bugs now. At least NI shows that. However, ToBEx does not start the game. I see bg2 in the taskbar for a moment, and closing without error message immediately.

Anyone having an idea about that?

Attached Files