• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

#321 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 06:53 AM

ALIEN,
Using MikeX code has better outcome since it can be easy detected by other mods and mod managers.

OK, i will fix installer to use MOD_IS_INSTALLED() marker

Another way, could be to create a file for each sub-component like:

COPY_EXISTING sw1h01.itm "override/tr#test.mrk"                               // Installation marker

and check if exists in game:

REQUIRE_PREDICATE FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME tr#test.mrk @xx

It could be easier than MOD_IS_INSTALLED when the install has many options for the same main component.

#322 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 01:57 PM

@TotoR Yes you can code everything but not everything should be coded. You can read more about 'marker' vs 'DESIGNATED' vs 'LABEL' here: https://www.gibberli...#comment-293094

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#323 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 02:16 AM

Ouch, You strike an innocent :shifty:

I never ever said he should not use LABEL or DESIGNATED, I was just thinking that in addition to those, markers could sometimes be easier to use than MOD_IS_INSTALLED X or Y or etc... it's here only for internal use and not for cross mod compatibility.

Anyway, I don't have a global view of midding like you have, thank you for this clarification. I'll be more carefull next time.

Cheers

#324 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 03:44 AM

I'm sorry if it felt like an attack, it was never my intention. It was an attempt to show more global perspective with hope that it will save some extra triple work in the future as Insomniator may or may not be aware about it.

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#325 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 06:31 AM

I'm sorry if it felt like an attack, it was never my intention. It was an attempt to show more global perspective with hope that it will save some extra triple work in the future as Insomniator may or may not be aware about it.

Not at all, I was only joking on my ignorance. No harm done here for sure.

cheers

#326 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 05:55 AM

Hi Insomiator,

I have use your new features and they are really great.

Here are some thought about three of them :

- with "Color foot markers" component I am unable to distinct charmed or under fear characters as they keep their colors (they are not becoming red, blue or yellow). This is making a bit hard to actively track status effect

- the "Additional Icons on Portrait" component adds icons to all spells with blur effect. However, for some spells, like offensive spin, blur effect is only cosmetics and this component adds the new icons to them even if not needed (there is already an icon for the spell). It could be good to limit the new icon to spells with blur effect only if there is no other icon.

- the "Hide static portrait icons" component, witch is a master piece by the way, hide icons with timing = 1 (Instant/Permanent until death). There are some effects and spells that use this timing (Sequencers, deases, poison and some other nasty status effect). It could be nice to not hide them as in fact they are not so permanent in a game that allow you to revive dead characters...

Cheers

#327 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 07:18 PM

Hi TotoR

- with "Color foot markers" component I am unable to distinct charmed or under fear characters as they keep their colors (they are not becoming red, blue or yellow). This is making a bit hard to actively track status effect

OK

- the "Additional Icons on Portrait" component adds icons to all spells with blur effect. However, for some spells, like offensive spin, blur effect is only cosmetics and this component adds the new icons to them even if not needed (there is already an icon for the spell). It could be good to limit the new icon to spells with blur effect only if there is no other icon.

This is taste choice, but OK, i will exclude blur icon for offensive and defensive spells with dedicated icons

- the "Hide static portrait icons" component, witch is a master piece by the way, hide icons with timing = 1 (Instant/Permanent until death). There are some effects and spells that use this timing (Sequencers, deases, poison and some other nasty status effect). It could be nice to not hide them as in fact they are not so permanent in a game that allow you to revive dead characters...

Seems like bug, mod already ignores timing for most negative effects and must show, i will recheck this

if ((ticks <= 0 && effect.nDuration != 0) ||    // effect is out
             (effect.nDuration == 0 &&                  // persistent effect

// show negative effects even with infinite duration
             OpCode != 4   &&   //  Berserk
             OpCode != 24  &&   //  Panic
             OpCode != 25  &&   //  Poison
             OpCode != 38  &&   //  Silence
             OpCode != 39  &&   //  Sleep
             OpCode != 40  &&   //  Slow
             OpCode != 45  &&   //  Stun
             OpCode != 74  &&   //  Blindness
             OpCode != 76  &&   //  Feeblemindedness
             OpCode != 78  &&   //  Disease
             OpCode != 80  &&   //  Deafness
             OpCode != 109 &&   //  Paralyze
             OpCode != 135 &&   //  Polymorph
             OpCode != 142 &&   //  Display Icon
             OpCode != 154 &&   //  Entangle overlay
             OpCode != 158 &&   //  Grease overlay
             OpCode != 175 &&   //  Hold creature
             OpCode != 211 &&   //  Imprisonment
             OpCode != 213 &&   //  Maze
             OpCode != 216      //  Level drain
             )          
           )
            continue;

#328 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:58 PM

Seems like bug, mod already ignores timing for most negative effects and must show, i will recheck this

I am having hard time to reproduce this bug... It was appearing during mod tests and maybe it is a mistake from me, I will check further and come back if I am able to reproduce it.

#329 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:22 PM

I am having hard time to reproduce this bug... It was appearing during mod tests and maybe it is a mistake from me, I will check further and come back if I am able to reproduce it.

Ok, Now I have found what was bothering me and it is not related to long duration spell, that was a mistake.

This component shows icons that should not be as they are not include in the effect of the spell (no opcode 142).

You can try with the one attached (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing) : with the component activated it shows "Invulnerable", "Magic Resistance" and "Protection from Magic Weapon" icons. Without it shows only "Invulnerable" icon (as it should).

Edited by TotoR, 19 September 2022 - 08:24 PM.

#330 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:45 AM

Hi TotoR

Ok, Now I have found what was bothering me and it is not related to long duration spell, that was a mistake.

This component shows icons that should not be as they are not include in the effect of the spell (no opcode 142).

You can try with the one attached (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing) : with the component activated it shows "Invulnerable", "Magic Resistance" and "Protection from Magic Weapon" icons. Without it shows only "Invulnerable" icon (as it should).

Spell (level 1-9) in NI contains:

• Show "Invulnerable"(23) icon, limited
  • Immunity to non-magic weapon effect, limited
  • 25% magic resistance, limited

This component ignores spell icon opcode(142) and shows icon per each effect, because some vanilla effects enable icon at engine level without icon opcode(142) and i also added few new icons, so there is many icons on portrait. Invulnerable icon is not used in vanilla BG2 (only SPWM126.spl has it, but what is it ?), so i didnt care about it because there is no info what other buff icons must be excluded if we already have this "master" icon.

"Invulnerable" icon is context-sensive to player, Invulnerable to weapon ? Invulnerable to some spells? Both ? ...

Component already handles some complex sphere, for example Otiluke's Resilient Sphere has many effects, but only "Otiluke's Sphere","Hold","Improved Invisibility" icons showed

Edited by Insomniator, 25 September 2022 - 07:46 AM.

#331 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:12 PM

Hi Insomniator,

Hi TotoR

This component ignores spell icon opcode(142) and shows icon per each effect, because some vanilla effects enable icon at engine level without icon opcode(142) and i also added few new icons, so there is many icons on portrait.

That explains everything and if I understand correctly, this component Hide the static portrait icons and need to Reveal "hidden" status effect portrait icons.

Hi TotoR

Spell (level 1-9) in NI contains:

• Show "Invulnerable"(23) icon, limited
  • Immunity to non-magic weapon effect, limited
  • 25% magic resistance, limited

Invulnerable icon is not used in vanilla BG2 (only SPWM126.spl has it, but what is it ?), so i didnt care about it because there is no info what other buff icons must be excluded if we already have this "master" icon.

"Invulnerable" icon is context-sensive to player, Invulnerable to weapon ? Invulnerable to some spells? Both ? ...

For what it worth, this icon "Invulnerable (23)" is only used by items in vanilla game (not by spells). this icon is related to the potion of invulnerability (potn11.itm) and "Globe of Invulnerability" from STAF12.itm and MISC73.itm.
You are right this denomination (Invulnerable) is clearly context-sensitive and is used this way in Vanilla game.

Component already handles some complex sphere, for example Otiluke's Resilient Sphere has many effects, but only "Otiluke's Sphere","Hold","Improved Invisibility" icons showed

In vanilla game, when Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is cast on PC, the icon shown (portraits and character sheet) is "Held (13)" (vanilla) plus "Otiluke's Resilient Sphere (125)" with bg2-fixpack installed; The "Held (13)" icon is activated at engine level without opcode 142. With "Hide static portrait icons" component installed, icons shown (portraits and character sheet) are the same plus "Improved Invisibility", if the dedicated component is installed. So there is no visible modification here between vanilla and modded game.

However often, mod added spells have various effects and only one opcode 142. With "Hide the static portrait icons" component installed, instead of showing 1 portrait icon, multiple portraits icons will be shown (like with the test spell above), revealing internal effects of the spells. However, only 1 icon will be shown in character sheet. This is a bit messy, making status effect tracking harder.

Do you think it could be possible to create a version of this component that "only" Hide static portrait icons without revealing hidden status effect?

Anyway, Thank you for all those explanations. By the way, for Otiluke's Resilient Sphere spells, it seems that with vanilla game (no bg2-fixpack) and with Hide static portrait icons installed the portrait's icon shown is "Magic resistance bonus (166)" instead of "Held (13)".

Cheers

#332 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:11 AM

Hi TotoR

However often, mod added spells have various effects and only one opcode 142. With "Hide the static portrait icons" component installed, instead of showing 1 portrait icon, multiple portraits icons will be shown (like with the test spell above), revealing internal effects of the spells. However, only 1 icon will be shown in character sheet. This is a bit messy, making status effect tracking harder.

OK, i will add new option to show timed icons from character sheet, some icons will never showed like morale break because engine miss it

You can check pre-5.4 version with fixes of most bug reported in topic

• 1) Fixed: Changed installer markers to "MOD_IS_INSTALLED"
  • 2) Fixed: Removed Ready(wing) sound for Infinity Animation's 0x0100/0x0A00 non-Wyvern IDs
  • 3) Fixed: Removed static blur icon for off/def Spin modes
  • 4) Fixed: Color party foot circle if Panic or Charm state
  • 5) Added: BG1 casting voice for low-level spells

Edited by Insomniator, 26 September 2022 - 04:16 AM.

#333 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:03 AM

Hi Insomniator,

Hi TotoR

OK, i will add new option to show timed icons from character sheet, some icons will never showed like morale break because engine miss it

It is much appreciated!

In addition, I have done tests for the pre-version point 3) and 4) :

- 3): the blur icon is not displayed on portrait but still displayed in character sheet

- 4): seems to work as intended

Cheers

#334 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 04:12 AM

Updated to 5.4:

1. Fixed: Changed installer markers to "MOD_IS_INSTALLED"
  2. Fixed: Removed Wing(Ready) sound for Infinity Animation's 0x0100/0x0A00 non-Wyvern IDs
  3. Fixed: Removed unnecessary Blur icon for off/def Spin modes
  4. Fixed: Color party foot circle in Panic/Charm state
  5. Added: Optional "Hide Static Icons on Portrait" mode
  6. Added: BG1 casting sounds for BG1 part or any low-level spells

Edited by Insomniator, 27 September 2022 - 04:14 AM.

#335 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 04:20 AM

Hi TotoR

It is much appreciated!

- 3): the blur icon is not displayed on portrait but still displayed in character sheet

Blur Icon on character sheet - fixed

Optional hide icon mode added, instead installer option -> switchable by key "Numpad /"

Edited by Insomniator, 27 September 2022 - 04:36 AM.

#336 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 01:31 PM

Hi TotoR
It is much appreciated!

Blur Icon on character sheet - fixed

Optional hide icon mode added, instead installer option -> switchable by key "Numpad /"

Thanks a lot! The switchable key is working like a charm.

I think I have found another issue with "hide icon": when activated, this component also hides icons in dialog, shops or temples (mouth, intoxicated, diseased, poisoned,etc...) making harder, mostly for temples, to know what to cure... using Custom hotkeys solve this but it is not possible to use it in those UI

In addition, I have some thought, that I want to share with you about the Innate/Ability/Spell Description Screen on Right Click component, witch is by the way really great:

- To avoid conflict with other mods, this component has to be installed really early in a modding list (just after bg2fixpack and BGT). I think that should be indicated in the readme to avoid wrong descriptions of spells and abilities.

The component adds news fixes that are not documented. They are mostly harmless changes but it could be sensible to make them optional. For example:

- the sumdjinn.cre fix is a bit strange and seems useless in Vanilla game

- Range update is a matter of taste as this could be seen as a design choice

Lastly, this component adds items abilities descriptions. Those new descriptions are accurate for players of vanilla bg2 but not for players with modded game as they are not currently updated. Could this part be made optional as it might display wrong descriptions for modded items?

#337 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 09:47 AM

Hi TotoR

I think I have found another issue with "hide icon": when activated, this component also hides icons in dialog, shops or temples (mouth, intoxicated, diseased, poisoned,etc...) making harder, mostly for temples, to know what to cure... using Custom hotkeys solve this but it is not possible to use it in those UI

Thanks for report, i will check

In addition, I have some thought, that I want to share with you about the Innate/Ability/Spell Description Screen on Right Click component, witch is by the way really great:

- To avoid conflict with other mods, this component has to be installed really early in a modding list (just after bg2fixpack and BGT). I think that should be indicated in the readme to avoid wrong descriptions of spells and abilities.

The component adds news fixes that are not documented. They are mostly harmless changes but it could be sensible to make them optional. For example:
- the sumdjinn.cre fix is a bit strange and seems useless in Vanilla game
- Range update is a matter of taste as this could be seen as a design choice

Lastly, this component adds items abilities descriptions. Those new descriptions are accurate for players of vanilla bg2 but not for players with modded game as they are not currently updated. Could this part be made optional as it might display wrong descriptions for modded items?

1) Agree, updated text descriptions is for vanilla spells/abils only and must be installed before other mods
2) Item/Cre/Spell/Icon/Tooltip fixes and updated/new Text descriptions are big work of Prozh and mutually dependent with Innate/Ability/Spell Description Screen on Right Click component. I cannot split it or do some similar, sorry.

I can :

1) update mod install order description

2) add detailed information what fixes are applied.

3) update component description to point BG2 vanilla compatibility only

Edited by Insomniator, 25 October 2022 - 10:01 AM.

#338 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 09:42 AM

Hi Insomniator,

Hi TotoR

Tell me if you need some testing.

1) Agree, updated text descriptions is for vanilla spells/abils only and must be installed before other mods

2) Item/Cre/Spell/Icon/Tooltip fixes and updated/new Text descriptions are big work of Prozh and mutually dependent with Innate/Ability/Spell Description Screen on Right Click component. I cannot split it or do some similar, sorry.

I can :

And this is clearly a huge work made by Prozh and, for sure, It would be a shame to cut it into peaces.

However and for items ability only (spells and innates descriptions use the regular description field), you use a new abildesc.2da table that is of course not updated by mods. Currently, with modded game, items abilities could have no description (not really an issue) or in worst case wrong description.

If modders update the abildesc.2da, this could evolve but it will takes time (a lot :shifty: ). In the time being, it could be sensible to offer the choice to players to have vanilla description or no description at all for items abilities only (Maybe by emptied abildesc.2da or even better by a field in TobExTweak.ini).

Anyway, this whole feature is a great improvement, thanks for it !!

Cheers

#339 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 02:38 AM

Hi TotoR

Tell me if you need some testing.

I added icons on most screens, including Store, but i don't undersand about dialogue mode, portrait is very shaded and icons difficult to view, can you show screenshot about issue ?

beta - https://drive.google...sZPd27HggOsIq7g

I can :

And this is clearly a huge work made by Prozh and, for sure, It would be a shame to cut it into peaces.

However and for items ability only (spells and innates descriptions use the regular description field), you use a new abildesc.2da table that is of course not updated by mods. Currently, with modded game, items abilities could have no description (not really an issue) or in worst case wrong description.

If modders update the abildesc.2da, this could evolve but it will takes time (a lot :shifty: ). In the time being, it could be sensible to offer the choice to players to have vanilla description or no description at all for items abilities only (Maybe by emptied abildesc.2da or even better by a field in TobExTweak.ini).

OK, i will add new installer's option in next update to not install item abilities text updates if player plans to install Item Revision or similar mod

#340 TotoR

TotoR
  • Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 01:08 PM

Hi Insomniator,

I added icons on most screens, including Store, but i don't undersand about dialogue mode, portrait is very shaded and icons difficult to view, can you show screenshot about issue ?

Concerning dialogues (mouth and shop icons), as I was thinking that it was linked to this mod, I haven't check further... But after double checking, the missing mouth and store icons are linked to another mod that changes states.bam : IWDification.

beta - https://drive.google...sZPd27HggOsIq7g

Test done and all seem to work fine.

Cheers