Photo

Summoning cap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:58 AM

Hello all, I was doing some self learning using NI. I found that I can modify summoning cap in EE games kinda easily, simple edit of certain 2DA file. But We all know, classic Icewind dale has this limit too. Question is, how the classic IWD handles this since there is no 2DA file for this? Thank you for asnwers :) Have a great day.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:45 PM

Don't know.

The original BG1 didn't have a limit like this, it was only introduced by BG2, with more summons and all that... so you need to test if there's even one in IWD1. Suspision is: No. In IWDEE, there's one, but it's because the same BG2EE engine is used.

Edited by The Imp, 27 January 2021 - 12:46 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:00 PM

Don't know.

The original BG1 didn't have a limit like this, it was only introduced by BG2, with more summons and all that... so you need to test if there's even one in IWD1. Suspision is: No. In IWDEE, there's one, but it's because the same BG2EE engine is used.

yes it is summoning cap for classic IWD

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

Then it's probably programmed in the .exe to bound to the creatures gender, just like it's in BG2.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:48 PM

Then it's probably programmed in the .exe to bound to the creatures gender, just like it's in BG2.

Ok, monsters summoned by spell are named like MS(1-7), all have gender 6-Summoned, well, this reminds me that changing it to 4 - Niether might work? Will this change apply to current save when game restarts?

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:18 PM

Ok, monsters summoned by spell are named like MS(1-7), all have gender 6-Summoned, well, this reminds me that changing it to 4 - Niether might work? Will this change apply to current save when game restarts?

There's a mod for this... that sets it to 20, a not previously existing value, and it then edits the death spell that instantly kills the summoned creatures to also apply it to gender 20.

Save game compatibility... don't know, but you can find out by making the change, and then casting the spell, forcejoin them into the party via the console cheat Ctrl+Q, and then checking the creatures file info in the save. EDIT: Or just cast the spell multiple times and find out.

#7 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:34 PM

There's a mod for this... that sets it to 20, a not previously existing value, and it then edits the death spell that instantly kills the summoned creatures to also apply it to gender 20.

Save game compatibility... don't know, but you can find out by making the change, and then casting the spell, forcejoin them into the party via the console cheat Ctrl+Q, and then checking the creatures file info in the save. EDIT: Or just cast the spell multiple times and find out.

Well, there is max number for gender = 6. No gender 20 is available. Tested to change it to 4 - Niether, didnt worked. Where is the mod you mentioned, will it work for classic IWD?

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

Well, there is max number for gender = 6.

Bullshit. Check out gender.ids file, the max is 5 in the original game. It's value as large as you set it to be... well if it won't reach the .ids entry limit, or the .cre's data size entry. Which is 1 byte, aka it can be a value from 0 - 255 in the .crefile at least.

No, Near Infinite is not the type of tool you want to fix this thing, it's a tool to identify files and occationally edit them, but not if it's related to .ids files AND then .cre entries in those fields.

... ok, that was a tangent, your creatures probably come from a mod themselves. As summons originally have a mix of 1's and 4's in the .cre entries from the looks of things.

EDIT: but this is not your problem, as the source of the problem could be the opcode 240 that is used to summon the creatures. If we are still talking about the original IWD, and not IWDEE, or other games.

And the mod that does this in BG2 with the gender, is unlikely to fix this in IWD, as they likely use a different system.

#9 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:52 PM

Yeah, we are still talking about classic icewind dale :) and I havent installed mod which changes summons there. Yeah, it does, but still I hope that we might find something cool inside.