Photo

[Fixed] Thief HLA component seems to prevent Mage NPCs from using scro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Veszerin

Veszerin
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

Edit: I thought the title would truncate with a tooltip or something, title was intended to be "[Fixed] Thief HLA component seems to prevent Mage NPCs from using scrolls as quickslot items and seeing learnable status"

-----------

I found the cause and fixed for myself but as I hadn't been able to find any mention of this issue anywhere, thought I'd post to flag it and also help anyone else trying to figure it out. 

In my recent EET playthrough, I've been having an issue I couldn't figure out, where only my player character (once I dualled from Kensai) could use arcane scrolls from a quickslot. Edwin couldn't use them (but he could copy them to his spellbook), and Imoen was the same as Edwin once she was dualled over.

I only really use priest scrolls from quickslot but there's a very nice convenience feature since (EE 1.2?) to highlight scrolls a character can copy to their spellbook in green.

With Refinements Thief HLA component all scrolls appeared as red for all NPCs. The feature only worked for my protagonist once I dualled to mage.

I'm not a modder, just have a little familiarity with Near Infinity so bear with me a little.

Couldn't find anything browsing through the 2da files for some 'classes that can use scrolls' array, and the scrolls don't have mages excluded in the 'unusable by' list.  It turns out that the thief component adds a '319' Item Usability opcode to all of these scrolls (I'm guessing just the arcane ones?) to exclude all allies. 

That appears to be happening at lines 489-512 of https://github.com/U...b/hla_thief.tpa

Uninstalling the Thief HLA component w/ the weidu installer fixed the issue. I've played the game a couple times so if there were any string changes in there I'll live with any string mismatches.

I've attached my weidu log and a save in case that helps with any fix.

Playing version 2.5.16.6 of BG2EE with Refinements beta 4.27

I really do appreciate all the modding work that's been done over the years, I don't know any RPG that has such an extensive modding community. Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by Veszerin, 27 January 2021 - 03:21 PM.

#2 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:54 PM

Sounds like you installed the mod after having already started your game. Every arcane spellcasting class gets an ability applied that allows them to use scrolls and wands. Every time an NPC joins your party, their class/kit's abilities get applied. So this sounds like Imoen and Edwin were already in your party when you installed it, so they did not have that ability applied. If that is the case, then you could solve the issue by simply removing them from the party and then having them re-join.

Unless something else is going on, which is always possible. Maybe some other mod messes with the 'SPECIFIC' value of your party members?  I am not aware of any mod or game that does such a thing (that's why I coded it this way), but I suppose some mod may have popped up which does introduce such a conflict.

EDIT - maybe, possibly, there is a conflict with IR's "Thieves Can Use Wands?" The "Use Magical Device" HLA in Refinements' Thief HLAs allows thieves to use scrolls and wands from a quickslot, so its function overlaps with the IR component.  I would choose one or the other.  (Though I don't know if it is actually in conflict, and it may not be the culprit here.)