Small Review

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shadowchaser

shadowchaser
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:47 AM

Hey, there!
Somehow, I didn't realise there was a subforum, I feel hella dumb. Anyway, just a short review.

I created an account just to praise Val's writing. I tend to find a lot of modded characters... Overblown? Hammy? Don't know how to describe it, it's not that I necessarily dislike the writing, even, but it feels like - folks needing to have their character stand out immediately, rather than earn a reason you remember them.

Val being a bit in-drawn, having multiple moments where she's flat out wrong, owns up to them - gives more credit to certain characters than the official writers did, and I'm glancing pointedly at Skie, here, aha.

That, and as a lifer bureaucrat, it's nice to see the cowled wizards not portrayed as - automagically evil, because they want to regulate something dangerous and powerful.

Lotta folks figure they'd be the wielders and arbiters of arcane might in the Realms; few imagine they'd be the fishmongers or town criers, let alone adventurers.

... Or that their adventures'd be cut short because they just couldn't cut it.

Anyway, I've a lot more I could say, but I figured since it was sitting at a middle-of-road rating, I'd send something more valuable (I hope!) than a star system click, some kind words and some decent-but-not-great wine for Val, bahaha!..

Thanks for making me remember why I love this series.
Hope you and yours are well out there!

Cheers!

#2 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for these kind words. Hoping Valerie's retired author will read them.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#3 Isewein

Isewein
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 12:49 PM

Completely agree with this review! I also really appreciate that she has her own good reasons for being where she is instead of just magically tagging along to Charname's charisma. She has her mission in Nashkell and works pefrectly well as a temporary NPC there instead of absolutely demanding a permanent party slot (the rarest resource in the game these days...)