Photo

Downloading RR 4.92 warning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ithildur

Ithildur
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 10:22 AM

The file download link is marked in the downloads section as not working; however currently when attempting to download it, it gets blocked by windows security (detected a fairly serious trojan) -  I do not think this is a false positive as an actual trojan file was identified (and quaranteened/removed, thankfully).

I suggest using for now the below link to github instead, and whoever maintains these forums address the above issue:

https://github.com/FredrikLindgren/rr

Edited by Ithildur, 06 November 2021 - 10:26 AM.

#2 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:32 PM

The file download link is marked in the downloads section as not working; however currently when attempting to download it, it gets blocked by windows security (detected a fairly serious trojan) -  I do not think this is a false positive as an actual trojan file was identified (and quaranteened/removed, thankfully).

I suggest using for now the below link to github instead, and whoever maintains these forums address the above issue:

It is a false positive. Windows Defender has been marking perfectly safe .rars and self-extracting rar executables (such as Rogue Rebalancing) as being malicious "Occamy" for some time now. A Google search result suggests it may be related to the specific compression algorithm used.

#3 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 03:52 PM

It is a false positive. Windows Defender has been marking perfectly safe .rars and self-extracting rar executables (such as Rogue Rebalancing) as being malicious "Occamy" for some time now. A Google search result suggests it may be related to the specific compression algorithm used.

++

That's the reason why we did not remove the "broken link" reports: to avoid new threads in the forums. All packages in DL Center are safe and trustful.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#4 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 04:48 PM

++

That's the reason why we did not remove the "broken link" reports: to avoid new threads in the forums. All packages in DL Center are safe and trustful.

While true, it is still a problem with Windows Defender, which almost every Windows user has enabled to actively scan new downloads. It's really not fun to deal with false positives with Windows Defender, and it may scare away casual downloaders who aren't going to go see this thread to figure out it's a false positive. It may be worth it to update the download links in such cases just to avoid further headache.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 14 November 2021 - 04:48 PM.