Photo

Master? Source? What is this?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LuD

LuD
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:26 AM

I finally decided to try myself with BGT. It’s my first time at BG modding, so I have some doubts in regards of all the modding stuff and similar.

1) Mod format. Some mods I found on Github are in Master and Source format. What does it mean? Can I download them and use them like any other mod?

2) Directory structure. I read somewhere that the correct format of the mods is a folder with the mod name and an executable called “Setup-modname.exe”. Most of my mods respect this, but a few make me questionable. For example, in the Weimer’s Soulaufein mod, the folder is called "solarom", the executable "Setup-Solaufein.exe". The names don't match exactly. Is this a problem in the installation process?

3) BW Fixpack. This mod contains some fixes which are automatically applied to the game. I have noticed that some external mods do the same and are also larger in size.

For example: a _Lolfixer directory of 228kb is included in the BWFixpack, but i also have a Lollorian’s LolFixer mod of 963 kb. A _resfixer_v1 directory of 32kb is in the BWFixpack, but I also have a Resource Fixer v1 mod of 460 kb.

Can I install mod and fix together without any problems or have I to choose one of it? In this case, which of them should I prefer?

Thanks

Edited by LuD, 14 August 2022 - 02:26 AM.

#2 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 06:25 AM

1) Mod format. Some mods I found on Github are in Master and Source format. What does it mean? Can I download them and use them like any other mod?

That's just how GitHub structures everything. By downloading the "source code", you're getting the latest versions of the files present in a given branch. "Master" (or "main") is simply the default name of the primary branch which is expected to contain release-ready updates that should keep the mod playable; however, these aren't always finished mod versions, so it's recommended to download proper mod packages through the releases section.

It's common practice not to include the WeiDU executable in GH branches; the exe is added to the package in the release assets. So, if you've manually downloaded a mod this way, you'll also have to add the setup exe yourself. Project Infinity will make this much easier in the future.

2) Directory structure. I read somewhere that the correct format of the mods is a folder with the mod name and an executable called “Setup-modname.exe”. Most of my mods respect this, but a few make me questionable. For example, in the Weimer’s Soulaufein mod, the folder is called "solarom", the executable "Setup-Solaufein.exe". The names don't match exactly. Is this a problem in the installation process?

Not a problem in this case, as the mod TP2 file is outside of the mod folder and detected by WeiDU. These days most modders would rather keep the TP2 in the mod folder and stick to the modname folder naming convention.

3) BW Fixpack. This mod contains some fixes which are automatically applied to the game. I have noticed that some external mods do the same and are also larger in size.

For example: a _Lolfixer directory of 228kb is included in the BWFixpack, but i also have a Lollorian’s LolFixer mod of 963 kb. A _resfixer_v1 directory of 32kb is in the BWFixpack, but I also have a Resource Fixer v1 mod of 460 kb.

Can I install mod and fix together without any problems or have I to choose one of it? In this case, which of them should I prefer?

These fixes were intended to be installed along with the respective mods.

Edited by skellytz, 25 August 2022 - 05:43 PM.

#3 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:05 AM

For projects at GitHub, always download the latest release - it's one click from the main repository page. The master might have unstable changes in them. That is for projects that have releases, of course.

BW Fixpack is probably outdated for several mods.