Oddities with game play with many mods

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 28 September 2022 - 02:42 PM

I am hoping that someone might be able to shed some light as to why and how I can resolve some weird things going on in my current game.  I have a trilogy and I am currently in SOA.  I have for companions Nalia, Khalid, Gavin, and Gahesh. I am hopeful that the issues are caused by a conflict of mods.  I am not very far into the game but here are the things that I have noticed.

Movement issues, when the group is selected and I move them to a spot on the map 1 usually stops before the marker, usually a good bit back from the rest of the party.

Fighting, randomly anyone of the party will stop fighting during the fight.  I can get them to start fighting again, but they stop again.

Saving, every time I try to save it tells me that you cannot save in dialogue mode.  but I am not in dialogue mode.  Usually after I  hit the quick save button 3 - 5 times it will save the game.

Unkillable, so far I have run into 2 people that are not killable.  Sion, in the temple district, and Rejiek.  I have hit control-Y many times to verify this and they indeed appear immortal.

I thank you inn advance for reading/ helping me, I really appreciate.  Most of the things I can work around, but the immortal ones cause issues with other quests and I am not sure what other immortals there might be.   I am including the WeiDu log as well.

#2 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 05:25 PM

Moved the topic from IE Help (questions about modding the Infinity Engine games) to Mega Mod Help (support for mega-mod installations).

I am including the WeiDu log as well.

Looks like your log didn't get attached. Could you try attaching it again?

#3 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:09 PM

You can detect a looping script which could cause this behavior with the Stutter Debug Tool. Install it like a mod, load your save and see whether there is script blocks repeating that would fit to the stutter you are experiencing.

This doesn't explain unkillable foes, though.

#4 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2022 - 03:54 AM

Absolutely, sorry about that

Attached Files

#5 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:55 AM

I can#t see anything obvious in the log. Would you try the Stutter Debug Tool?

#6 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:33 AM

I tried to install it, and received the following error....

Installing [Stutter Debug Tool -> Patching all scripts except NoAction() blocks - chose this when installing the first time (Installation could take a while!)] [4.0]

EET detected.
Copying and patching 9256 files ...

FATAL ERROR: Sys_error(".\\lang\\en_us\\dialog.tlk: Permission denied")

Press ENTER to exit.

#7 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:46 AM

After the failed installation of the stutter debug tool I launched the game and now there are a lot of invalid text entries...

Attached Images

• invalid erros dialogue.PNG

#8 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:44 AM

The invalid text strings are the scripts that are running, but since the Stutter Debug Tool couldn't write to the dialog.tlk where all the texts are stored, the scripts just give "Invalid".

Make sure you do not have the game open when installing the tool. It's handled like a mod, the game should not be running or other editor should not be locking the game files when installing.

#9 Endarire

Endarire
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 10:05 AM

Do you have antivirus or other security software active in this area?

#10 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:16 AM

The game was not running, I quit the game before installing.  I do not have antivirus or security software on this machine.  I did/ do have EE Keeper open, would that cause the locking of files?

#11 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:26 AM

I think yes. That's what I meant with an editor for the game files.

#12 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:30 AM

Sure enough, EE Keeper was the culprit.  I quit that program and the stutter program successfully installed.  Thank you for that, never thought of EE Keeper being the culprit.

Now onto trying the game with the stutter debug tool.

What, if anything, should I notice with the stutter debug tool installed?

#13 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:54 AM

OK, I see what that program does, on the screen at least.  Here is a screen shot of some output.  I am in the De'Arnise Keep at this point

Attached Images

• running block.PNG

#14 Isewein

Isewein
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:22 PM

I remember experiencing that bug that had party members suddenly interrupting their actions in a fight as well in my last run. Never figured it might be due to stuttering dialogue scripts - I thought it was a problem with the combat AI. Curious to see what mod caused this in your install, thanks for going after it.

#15 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 10:58 PM

MacSatan: Now we need to know what these script blocks are in your game. Open baldur.bcs with Near Infininty and copy the script blocks that have the string "Running block x of y" from above in them into here.

#16 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:26 AM

I hope I am doing this correctly, I am not sure exactly what I am looking at.  Please let me know if I am not....

IF
RealGlobalTimerExpired("I#BanterTimer","GLOBAL")
Global("I#BanterDone","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
DisplayStringHead(Myself,472184) // Running block 8 of BALDUR.BCS
SetGlobal("I#BanterDone","GLOBAL",0)
RealSetGlobalTimer("I#BanterTimer","GLOBAL",0)
END

IF
Global("I#BanterDone","GLOBAL",0)
CombatCounter(0)
InParty(Player1)
InParty(Player2)
InParty(Player3)
InParty(Player4)
InParty(Player5)
!InParty(Player6)
THEN
RESPONSE #25
DisplayStringHead(Myself,472191) // Running block 15 of BALDUR.BCS
SetGlobal("I#BanterDone","GLOBAL",1)
ActionOverride(Player2,Interact(Player2))
RESPONSE #25
DisplayStringHead(Myself,472192) // Running block 16 of BALDUR.BCS
ActionOverride(Player3,Interact(Player3))
RESPONSE #25
DisplayStringHead(Myself,472193) // Running block 17 of BALDUR.BCS
ActionOverride(Player4,Interact(Player4))
RESPONSE #25
DisplayStringHead(Myself,472194) // Running block 18 of BALDUR.BCS
ActionOverride(Player5,Interact(Player5))
END

Edited by MacSatan, 30 September 2022 - 05:27 AM.

#17 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 06:49 AM

Yes, these are the right ones!

I understand why this loops. What I don't understand is why the timer is "0" in your case. In the mod files, the first script block is:

IF
    Global("I#BanterDone","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("I#BanterDone","GLOBAL",0)
        RealSetGlobalTimer("I#BanterTimer","GLOBAL",I#BANTER_TIMER)
END

The I#BANTER_TIMER gets patched to gtimes.ids upon installation to a number of seconds.

There is some possibilities:

-installation went wrong. Please post your iepbanters.DEBUG into a spoiler here.

-Some mod installed after IEP Banters wiped the gtimes.ids and removed the entry for I#BANTER_TIMER. Please post the content of your gtimes.ids here. If the entry for I#BANTER_TIMER is indeed missing, the next thing to do would be to make a changelog on your gtimes.ids. (Link to Tool, Link to how it's done.)

#18 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:04 AM

And: don't forget to deinstall the Stutter Debug Tool when debugging is done. It's not only annoying but can break cutscenes.

#19 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:22 AM

Here is the iepbanters debug file.  I am not sure how to add it in or as a spoiler.

Attached Files

#20 MacSatan

MacSatan
  • 34 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:25 AM

Also which gtimes.ids file?  I did a search in the BGII folder and the search returned 14 files with that name in different folders.