ASSERTION FAILED ObjAnimation.cpp 25414

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Azaghal

Azaghal
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 11:13 AM

Well, here's another one:

When entering the plundered tomb under the graveyard in Athkathla (AR0802, the corner for Korgan's companion quest) there is a skeleton archer greeting me with something like "you never should have made it this far" (obviously from a mod, since in vanilla there's mummies IIRC) and then the game crashes with the above error. I guess the guy is from the BuTcHeRy mod and his CRE file is D9ELARGG. He's equipped with axe, halberd, shield and arrows (no bow). Tried to take away his halberd and shield to avoid impossible usage together, but he's still crashing. Searching for his bow?

How can I fix it?

Greetings

Azaghal

EDIT: Attached WeiDu.log of my BGT install, just in case...

Attached Files

Edited by Azaghal, 11 October 2022 - 11:16 AM.

#2 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 10:14 AM

As far as I unstand editing the external CRE-file does not help if the CRE has already spawned.
You have to edit the CRE-file in the ARE-file of your saved game.
Did You do that?

#3 Azaghal

Azaghal
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:14 AM

Oh. I thought saving the altered CRE-file to the override folder was enough. Will try to change it in the ARE-file now and report if it works.

Thanks

Azaghal

#4 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:49 AM

Will try to change it in the ARE-file now

Just to make sure: in your save game GAM file.

#5 Azaghal

Azaghal
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 08:35 AM

T'is quite embarrassing. I don't really know how I got there, but I found the CRE file in the ARE0802 stored in the save BALDUR.GAM. But how do I rob him of his halberd with NI? I can only view/edit the weapon but not erase it.

Sorry for this noob question, but more help is needed.

Ashamed greetings

Azaghal

#6 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 11:29 AM

In order to not sabotage your entire journey let's make a separate save game (e.g. ,,test")
and edit that.
With NI in ,,Save" choose ,,test" and then Baldur.SAV.
Then ,,decompress" , choose the ARE file and press View/Edit.
The upper left quarter contains the actors which you now can edit freely.
Don't forget to save your changes and to compress afterwards.

Edited by Shuv-Oohl, 13 October 2022 - 11:30 AM.

#7 Azaghal

Azaghal
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 11:59 AM

I followed your instructions, eliminated the shield, so the CRE won't be able to try and use it together with a 2h-weapon. Went down to the tomb, faced the skeleton. No crash! Then other skeletons spawned in and obviously they suffer from the same problem. Next CTD due to assertion failure. Will look into their CRE files tomorrow.

Good night and thanks so far!

Azaghal

#8 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 11:09 PM

You could also make a changelog on the creatures in question. Something obviously changed them to something invalid. Or they are invalid inside the mod from the start, but then that should be even easier to fix on the mod's side.

#9 Azaghal

Azaghal
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 05:55 AM

According to the Area script, after the greeting by the problematic (but now locally fixed) skeleton archer D9ELARGG a couple of other skeleton types (archers, warriors, priests,mages) will spawn, all added by the BuTcHeRy mod. They all bear the prefix D9 but only two more have the problematic combination of 2h weapons and shield. Eliminating the shield helped (used a save where they weren't spawned yet, so changing the external CRE file sufficed). Fight is over now. No crash.

Only two more questions for the record:

- is the engine generally not able to handle this combination? Store away the shield in the inventory to free both hands? Or is it sloppy scripting on the modder's side?

- how do you do a changelog on a CRE file? Started WEiDu, entered the argument weidu -- change-log D9ELARGG.Cre and the darn thing just left the DOS-window. Nada! Niente!!

Anyhow - one more warm thank you for your assistance

Azaghal

#10 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:52 AM

You're welcome.

Do I see a tiny space between -- and change-log in your command line?

#11 Azaghal

Azaghal
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 08:01 AM

No, that's just me being unprecise in that post. I enter "weidu --change-log D9ELARGG.CRE" to be exact. But to no avail....

Azaghal

#12 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 06:53 AM

Maybe try this? I didn't use it myself yet so I can't give more instructions.

https://github.com/I...U-FileChangelog