Missing HLAs

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#21 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (T.G.Maestro @ Feb 7 2004, 03:30 PM)
Wouldn't it be more interesting if you tried some other spells.... not just the repetitive summon, protection, damage spells? 

Hey, please. Please don't tell me that you haven't discovered those "more interesting and different" spells/innates in the list...   

Err...  ?

I guess you noticed that the HLA list is refreshed every time I include a new HLA...
Check the first post in the HLA tables topic. ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#22 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:37 PM

Here are several different ideas for a rift type spell, based on the inner plane that the rift is opened to. The rift would act somewhat like a wall, or eye shaped area of effect inside which the environment of the specific plane exists. There would also be a chance for natives from that plane to come out of the rift. For all intents and purposes the conjurer would isolating a pocket of an inner plane and merging it with the Prime Material Plane for a short while.

Notes: Physical Environment conditions should only take effect within the area of the rift. Natural Hazards may extend beyond the rift if appropriate. The natives will likely be displeased with whoever they meet and be a danger to all exposed to them, though not always (it may be possible to convince certain natives to aid the party.) Both the natural hazards and natives are not definate occurances, there is a chance of each or both occuring though.

Air
Physical Environment: No dangers, anyone entering the region will fall through to an edge unless they can fly.
Natives: Aerial Servent, Air Elemental, Air Mephit, Djinni, Invisible Stalker. Also possible for Yan-C-Bin and or Chan to show up.
Natural Hazards: Maelstrom, all within 100 yards of a malestrom must save vs. paralyzation or be caught. Those caught will suffer 1d10 points of damage per round. Escape is only possible through a successful bend bars/lift gates roll (strength check, possibly use bashing % if doable). Spell casting is impossible while trapped in a maelstrom.

Earth
Physical Environment: Solid rock that makes up much of the plane is impassable without the appropriate spell (passwall, stoneshape, wand of corridors.) Alternatively, the conjurer may deliberately target a region which is not completely rock.
Natives: Dao Djinn, Earth Elementals, Earth Mephit, Lava Mephit. Also possible to encounter Sunnis and or Ogremoch in this area.
Natural Hazards: Earthquakes, lasting 1d10 rounds and inflicting 6d6 points of damage each round (no save).

Fire
Physical Environment: Non-immune to fire individuals must save vs. breath weapon or die immediately upon initial contact. Those who save will still suffer 5d10 fire damage each round. Has a chance of destroying potions in their containers.
Natives: Efreeti, Fire Elemental, Fire Mephit, Hell Hound, Phantom Stalker, Salamander, Burning Man. Also possible to encounter Zamaan Rul and or Imix.
Natural Hazards: Fountains of Flame (3d10 fire damage, save vs breath for half), Cinder Rain (2d6 fire damage per round exposed), Volcanic Eruptions (See volcano HLA for possible details on the effect).

Water
Physical Environment: If a being stays too long in the water area without a method of breathing in water (Airy Water, Water Breathing, Ring of Water Breathing) then choking damage should occur. Extinguishes fires. Slows movement unless individual has a Free-Action type effect on them.
Natives: Ice Mephit, Water Elemental, Water Mephit, Water Weird, Triton. Also possible to encounter Ben-Hadar and or Olhydra.
Natural Hazards: Unexpected Stream Currents (4d6 damage and pushes individual in a random direction), Tidal Bores (Whirlpool type effect)

I'll post the suggestions for the Parelemental Planes next.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#23 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:55 PM

As promised here are the Paraelemental Plane rifts and their possible effects. As before, the Note applies:

Notes: Physical Environment conditions should only take effect within the area of the rift. Natural Hazards may extend beyond the rift if appropriate. The natives will likely be displeased with whoever they meet and be a danger to all exposed to them, though not always (it may be possible to convince certain natives to aid the party.) Both the natural hazards and natives are not definate occurances, there is a chance of each or both occuring though.

I'm leaving out the paraelemental planes of Smoke, Magma, Ooze, since their effects are very similiar to previously mentioned planes.

Ice
Physical Environment: Requires protection from cold or take 1d6 points of cold damage per round. Those not suited for the cold take additional 1d6 points of cold damage.
Natives: Ice Mephit, Frost Salamanders, Winter Wolves, White Dragons, Frost Giants, White Puddings. Also possible to encounter Cryonax.
Natural Hazards: Raging Blizzards which severely slow movement for 1d10 turns. Ice storms (see similiar spell at level 4 or 5).

I'll post the quasielemental planes and the energy planes in a little bit.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#24 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 06:48 PM

Next up the Energy Plane Rifts. Upon further reflection, the quasi elemental planes have too much in common with the other elemental planes.

Positive Energy
Physical Environment: The plane is so full of life energy that it overflows, healing the individual 2d6 points per round. Once the individual is at full health, the hitpoints add to the individual's total. When the individual has twice his original max hitpoints he bursts into incandescent flames as the overabundance destroys him from within. If the traveller leaves the plane before combustion, then the excess hitpoints remain for 2d10 turns. Since there is no matter in the positive energy plane, all movement must be done through will alone. This means that all beings travel at normal base speed for an average human (simplifying to avoid problems with different creatures needing to be treated on a case by case basis). Since there is only energy in the positive energy plane, an air supply must be provided or the individual will choke. The overabundance of energy may be blocked by a positive energy plane protection. Additionally, all undead are destroyed instantly in the rift.
Natives: There are very few creatures that can survive the overabundance of life in the positive energy plane. However, the spillover from the plane will animate inanimate objects, creating new creatures out of the material at hand. Elementals, Golems, and other environmental constructions such as shambling mounds form around the rift.
Natural Hazards: Energy bursts can occur that will have a variety of affects. One affect is to heal the target 2d4 hitpoints. If this places the target over their maximum they suffer burnout and lose 1d4 hitpoints permanently. Another effect is for the target to receive the effects of the Strength spell, but lose a point from strength permanently when the spell wears off. (possible also include haste spell, then loose movement speed and an attack when wear off)

Negative Energy
Physical Conditions: Like the positive energy plane, there is no air here to breath, so it must be supplied or choking will ensue. The absence of life on this plane will cause level drain to occur, losing one level per round. When the level reaches zero, the individual withers and dies and their spirit is lost forever, making them unresserectable. What remains of their husk becomes an undead creature. Negative Plane Protection prevents this drain from occuring.
Natives: Shadows, spectres, wraiths, wights, and other forms of undead exist on this plane. There are even the occasional lich or demi-lich in rarer cases.
Natural Hazards: None beyond what has already been mentioned.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#25 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:07 PM

I have heard that you cannot cast Negative Energy Protection in the Negative Energy plane.
Posted Image

#26 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:08 PM

I guess the person would have to cast the spell prior to entering then. All the information in the last couple of posts is taken from planescape resources and a section on the inner planes in one of the monster manual supplements. I realize that if any of these conditions are made into a spell, they may need some mild to drastic balancing. One thing to remember is that all of these abilities are a two edged sword. If any natives come out, they'll be just as likely to attack the party as the enemy and the conditions and hazards are there for everyone. However, if the spell projectile is a linear area, then these spells can have some interesting uses as a wall to discourage enemies from approaching from certain directions.

Now that the ideas are out there, feel free to try and refine them further.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#27 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:09 AM

Similar to the power Conjurers gain at 14th level in Player's Option - Spells & Magic, I suggest an ability to unsummon monsters that have been conjured by others.

-Echon

#28 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:20 AM

Something like Death Spell?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#29 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:29 AM

Yes, something with that effect but restricted to summoned creatures.

-Echon

#30 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:30 AM

I like that idea. :) TGM?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#31 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:37 AM

A spell that perhaps banishes (not kills) all enemy summoned creatures (including Gated ones) with an area effect of true sight.
Posted Image

#32 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:53 PM

Similar to the power Conjurers gain at 14th level in Player's Option - Spells & Magic, I suggest an ability to unsummon monsters that have been conjured by others.

Yes, something with that effect but restricted to summoned creatures

A spell that perhaps banishes (not kills) all enemy summoned creatures (including Gated ones) with an area effect of true sight.

First: if we would use such spell, it would be more powerful than a 6th level spell, and definetly not weaker.
Second: while the idea is very nice, we have a problem. The common mage HLA Deathfield has all of its effects already. Take a look ;) . It wouldn't be a wise move to give something similar to a kit if it already gets it in a stronger version.
Posted Image

#33 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 12:41 AM

The common mage HLA Deathfield has all of its effects already. Take a look

Well this is NOT true.
The radius of Deathfield is small, certainly nothing like True Sight's radius.
Then the "remove creature" effect is applied to Gender:Summon, like in Deathspell.
Now, if you wanted to remove "gated" creatures, we'd have a problem, since, to my knowledge, the "gated" status means simply that their gender has been changed.
Removing all creatures of another gender is not a solution of course!
Maybe I could add Demons.
I'm not really competent in these issues anyway.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#34 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 12:52 AM

the "gated" status means simply that their gender has been changed.
Removing all creatures of another gender is not a solution of course!
Maybe I could add Demons.

Yep, and this would brilliantly remove several boss-type creatures who use 'demon' as gender. Not a good idea at all.
Posted Image

#35 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 12:57 AM

Well, and you claimed it was already in... :P

#36 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:04 AM

Well, and you claimed it was already in...

My mistake, of course. Such thing shouldn't be there, at least not in the hands of mortal creatures.
Posted Image

#37 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:38 AM

It seems we are in need of two additional HLAs, one for Bounty Hunters, and one for Transmuters. If anyone has any idea, please share it with us as soon as possible (if you can help with working files, its even better)! Please make it sure that your ideas fit into our new HLA system.
One more note: try to suggest/create a 'good' or 'neutral' type HLA for transmuters - we already have an 'evil' ability for them (Create Flesh Golem).

Many thanks in advance! ;)
Posted Image

#38 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 08:41 AM

we already have an 'evil' ability for them (Create Flesh Golem).

I still have doubts about that one.
Not only it is EVIL, I'm not even sure it works as you intend :P
No, I haven't tested it.
Ehi.

#39 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 08:58 AM

I'm not even sure it works as you intend

Yes, there might be problems with NPCs and creature scripts :( .
Posted Image

#40 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:52 AM

The problems with Create Flesh Golem are fixed, it works as it should ;) B) .
Posted Image