Photo

Imoen's sexuality

• Please log in to reply
528 replies to this topic

#261 Luvian

Luvian
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 03:17 PM

as I think it at least prove she is open minded enough to comment on the physical appearance of members of the same sex. I know lots of people who would never even consider doing that.

It is a part of every-day conversations between ladies to comment on the physical appearance of other ladies in a complimentary way: "Oh, your hair look nice today, Cattie!  That's a great dress, it suits you so well! Yes, Sue is a pretty little lady, but her tongue is too sharp..." Dryads are magical creatures of great beauty. Is commenting on oaks as beautiful put you into phytosexual category?

True. Alone, this prove nothing.

-----------------

Edit: About the phytosexual comment, I think you misunderstood my first post. I never said that she should be attracted to women because she could comment on them. It's simply an element of her personality. Alone this mean nothing, but add all the elements I commented on in my first post, and I think my vision of Imoen make sense.

Read my first post again. Don't you agree that my vision of Imoen is possible?

#262 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:47 PM

Is anyone actually able to UNDERSTAND a post before replying?

@Mikka:
I, offensive and egoist?
What's offensive in saying (my repeated opinion):
"We all just have personal tastes and everyone has the right/freedom to live by them"?
While suggesting that bisexuality is the "right" sexuality (read old posts!), because only pure love is involved, implies that hetros are only capable of a degradated, material form of Love.
This position not only is Arrogant and Offensive to hetros, but it is even a big Lie.
I've proven it before, I won't do it again. You can ignore my Proof if you want, but the Proof is still there.

@Luvian:
Confusing parts of my post with each other and mixing, altering their meaning won't help you to write a coherent reply.
I only guessed your position (it really seems I was right), anyway as I did write: I was pointin' at old posts more than your recent ones.
Of course tastes are somewhat opinions, that was *my* point.
What *isn't* an opinion, is that people like sex and sexuality according to their tastes.
Please spare me bull$hit like "open minded-ness, curiousity" and all.
I am curious, I am intelligent, my mind is OPEN to understand many things, but STILL I am hetro. Such is my *taste*. People do sex the way they want because they like it, NOT because they're "open-minded".
And even if you try to use this argument (in despair?) to attack my post, I never said it's wrong to enjoy sex, in any form. I'm content with people enjoying their lives and their sexual preferences as they want.
Maybe you should really read a post twice before replying.

Anyway, now I remember why I stopped with this kind of debates.
I'm really sick with people who bend reality, and then pretend not to have understood what I wrote, in attempt to answer something inconcludent.
And it's too much time consuming to explain things twice, or more.
So I'll leave it once again.
I'll let people feed themselves with their illusions, if they need, and I'll watch in amusement.
EDIT:
If it wasn't clear, there's nothing personal.
I attack fashionable concepts like the one of "open minded-ness", nothing else.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#263 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:51 AM

They also give no proof that she was not raped.

Should we also try and prove that she wasn't assault by a vicious band of circus clowns? You should assume something has not happened unless you can prove otherwise.

We know that Imoen can find females beautiful from the dryad dialog. That doesn't mean that she's bisexual or homosexual, but it also doesn't mean she's straight

Correct me if my lore is off here, but aren't Dryad's SUPPOSED to appear beautiful to all living beings? I hardly think this is suggestive of anything.

This is a discussion of Imoen's sexuality. I don't want to see further arguments over sexuality in general. All posts of this nature will be reported.

#264 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 07:07 AM

While suggesting that bisexuality is the "right" sexuality (read old posts!), because only pure love is involved, implies that hetros are only capable of a degradated, material form of Love.

The idea is that Imoen could love a person regardless of sex, as if gender is meaningless to love. I don't agree since sexual attraction will always determine whom a person can love.

I am intelligent, my mind is OPEN to understand many things, but STILL I am hetro.

Yep, Imoen could be openminded and yet still be heterosexual. She doesn't seem very judgmental, to me at least, but when Mellisan mentions Bhaal mating with a female fire giant, she seems quite disgusted. I don't know if such disgust constitutes openmindedness.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#265 Riona

Riona
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 08:55 AM

Quote (Riona)

You are right, she is neutral good.

"But my female half-elven fighter/mage was Chaotic Good, and she was still heterosexual."
And your point is? Sexual attraction is not determined by aligment alone.

"Actually, I know the conversation with the Dryads isn't proof of anything, because I just played through that part yesterday..."

They also give no proof that she was not raped. As I said twice already, it's only a matter of personal opinion. I believe she was, you believe she was not. There is nothing else to add to this off topic subject.

--I brought up the alignment thing because it was suggested that since Imoen is "Chaotic Good" (she isn't) she is more open to new experiences, like homosexuality. My point was that alignment has nothing to do with that. I really don't understand at all why you are even confronting me about this.

--Yeah, there is no proof that Imoen "wasn't" raped, but if one claims that Imoen was raped, the burden of proof is one them to prove it, not the skeptic. You make the claim? You prove it.

I stand by what I said that the conversation with the dryads is not proof at all that Imoen was raped.
"Figured it out, yet?"

#266 Riona

Riona
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 08:57 AM

They also give no proof that she was not raped.

Should we also try and prove that she wasn't assault by a vicious band of circus clowns? You should assume something has not happened unless you can prove otherwise.

*gives a thumbs up* This is exactly my point. Thank you, Quitch.

And yes, as far as I know dryads (and nymphs) are supposed to be beautiful to all creatures...at least, we know any player race would find them beautiful.
"Figured it out, yet?"

#267 Riona

Riona
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 09:02 AM

The idea is that Imoen could love a person regardless of sex, as if gender is meaningless to love. I don't agree since sexual attraction will always determine whom a person can love.

Or, at least, love sexually. :)

For the most part (and in most cases) I don't see one's sexual orientation as something that can be turned on and off like a switch.
"Figured it out, yet?"

#268 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:03 AM

The whole point of this topic is to determine her sexual attraction. I believe my question was regarding her sexuality, not who she'd be attracted to.

#269 Riona

Riona
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:44 AM

The whole point of this topic is to determine her sexual attraction.

With all due respect, how can we do this if there is no proof of her orientation in the game?
"Figured it out, yet?"

#270 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:44 PM

1. I haven't seen everything in the game, I may have missed some obvious reference.

2. She has to be something, and therefore other people besides myself should be able to say what and why.

I never said you needed proof, just opinion.

#271 Riona

Riona
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 01:15 PM

1. I haven't seen everything in the game, I may have missed some obvious reference.

2. She has to be something, and therefore other people besides myself should be able to say what and why.

I never said you needed proof, just opinion.

Alright, I see what you mean now. :) I have never seen an obvious reference myself, though, and I have played through the game more than once.

I could just give my opinion...but ultimately, my opinion will be subjective and for the most part, baseless, and not worth more than anyone else's in that respect.

I said a while back that I tend to think of people as heterosexual useless there is evidence to the contrary. That is, of course, just the way my own mind works (and it is worth saying that I am a straight person myself).
"Figured it out, yet?"

#272 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 05 June 2003 - 01:41 PM

About the phytosexual comment, I think you misunderstood my first post. I never said that she should be attracted to women because she could comment on them. It's simply an element of her personality. Alone this mean nothing, but add all the elements I commented on in my first post, and I think my vision of Imoen make sense.

You said that commenting on dryad's beauty "proves" her open-mindness compare to other people. I objected that it is not so since:
1) MAJORITY of ladies will compliment another lady on her physical appearance w/o second thought or desire to initiate a sexual intercourse
2) Dryad=beautiful is not in any way unusual, since it is truth and have no more sexual context to it than "oaks are beautiful"

That's all I meant to say, not to discuss weather your opinion on Imoen makes sense. For me the whole discussion does not make a grain of sense eince I consider Imoen asexual. She is an annoying little girl who persistently joins your party wether you want it or not. She is a plot device in BG2 a stimulus for you to get to BG2.

#273 Rassadihn

Rassadihn

Eater of Avatars

• 80 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 02:10 AM

Wait... is this the Imoen Relationship forum, or did I stumble in General Discussion without knowing it?

How about sticking with the discussion instead of making some smartass comment? ;-)

Could you assign percentages?

I'm sorry, I'll shut up now.

How about joining the discussion instead of making some smartass comment?

One does not exclude the other. I was merely encouraging you to further detail your most excellently specified opinion.

But since that's *another* smartass comment, I'll humor you: I'll join the discussion if it looks like anything worthwile might come of it. Then, I will peek out the window to see if pigs have acquired means of aerial propulsion yet. And now I'll *really* shut up. No matter what. Promised.

#274 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:58 AM

I don't want to see any more personal attacks on this forum. Heated debate is fine, but debate this is not.

#275 Nithalor

Nithalor
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:09 PM

First, I don't know if any of you even are sill here since it was a time since you stopped writing here.

Second, It's taken quite awhile to read through almost half a thousand posts, but It's on the other hand been really interesting.

Dunno if I can add especially much to this discussion, so I'm just state my oppinion here.

First, about Imoens Sexuality. I've played the game some times, and I've always seen Imoen as Straight. Nothing's gonna change that, not even if you guys did have some evidence. When I play a game, then I only trust my instinct and not what other tells me. That's it, Imoen is, has been, and will always be Straight in my eyes, either if thats how she was though to be or not. I believe that if she would have been bi/homo then they'd let the player know that.

However, I do, as some other here, believe that she'd be willingly to try a girl, once or twice. Don't think that she'd think like other that that was "not normal" or "not right", or something.

Then, about Irenicus raping Imoen at his dungeon: I've never though of this, so Its' kind of new for me. However, I see Jonoleth as this: If he had gained something by raping imoen, gained something that would help him get to his goals faster, or was needed to do to get to his goals, he wouldn't have doubted. In fact, I agree with someone who wrote earlier, that he would even rape a man if it was needed to get to his goals. But, If he could gain nothing by raping her He wouldn't had. Not a chance. That just be a waste of time for him.

So, the conclusion is that It all comes down to if there was something to gain by raping her. I don't have much insight on how to steal a soul, so I don't know what is needed.

#276 Nithalor

Nithalor
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:09 PM

(this is a replica of the post above since I was told that my post wasn't posted, so I tried once again. I see no Delete button though, so please ignore/delete this post, whoever can.)

#277 -Tancred-

-Tancred-

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:30 PM

What? Since when does Imoen tell the Dryads that they're beautiful?

"So beautiful! I used to dream of Dryads and their beautiful trees."

To me, that says she finds the TREES beautiful.

On Irenicus and rape - there's only one - ONE - piece of dialogue that can possibly even suggest that happened, and it is this:

Imoen: "I used to dream... but he doesn't. Your charms don't work on him any more, do they?

Dryad: "How do you know this? He... he has touched you as we, hasn't he? Irenicus searches for something he cannot find, and he looks within those who have no more idea than he."

... but that's so ambiguous! It could mean anything; from sexual contact to spiritual degradation to malevolent surgery. All of those could apply. Irenicus' goal in having a bunch of Dryads living with him is to try and 'spark anew' his ability to love... possibly Irenicus is impotent, who knows? Imoen is not part of that purpose. From what Imoen says, he mostly confined himself to unpleasant surgery and malevolent spells while you and Imoen were trapped in his Dungeon.

#278 -Tancred-

-Tancred-

Posted 05 July 2003 - 05:04 PM

To further add... um, where does it say Irenicus had sex with the Dryads, anyway? They call themselves his 'concubines', but the word 'concubine' simply means 'a woman who lives with a man yet has lower social status than his wife', not 'sex-slave'.

#279 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 05:10 AM

hes right, there is nothing to suggest irenicus has anything to do with his dryads sexually. Maybe he keeps them there to experiment on, although it is hinted somewhere where they say something about them teaching him lov, or something like that.

BTW, Imoen is a lezzy if u ask me
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#280 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:32 PM

Irenicus probably bound the Dryads in the hopes they could instill some emotion in him. Perhaps rekindle his desire.

What leads anyone believe Irenicus raped Imoen? When he confronts you and Elliseme atop the tree of life he says he looks upon her, his old love, and feels nothing. Therein lies the proof indicative of the aforementioned apathy.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga