128 replies to this topic

#1 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 02:02 AM

Hi folks,

Since the novel is directly connected to the mod I may as well post the news of updates here (while it lasts - the mod is being coded with astonishing speed now).

Ashes got chapter 36. It can be found at

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch36.html

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#2 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:32 AM

Oooh, goody! *rushes off to read the next chapter*
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#3 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:35 AM

:P Thanks - I hope you liked it. Now back to my vicious cycle - writing/coding LR, coding ER and writing next chapter of BGA. B)

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#4 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:59 AM

Yep, I definately liked it. :D I never feel like I want to pressure you to write more because I can see that if you aren't writing BGA, you are working on LR. I'll just take a moment to remark that the quality of the characters, writing, and story in Bitter Grey Ashes is far above anything else that I have seen presented at the Attic. If Bitter Grey Ashes had come out in novel form, I would probably have bought a copy for my private collection (I borrow most of the books I read from the public library system).

Keep up the great work.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#5 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:26 PM

Bitter Grey Ashes is updated - the new Chapter 37 is called 'The Comely Corpse' and is dedicated to 'dear sister' Bodhi. I hope you will like it!

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch37.html

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#6 Sav

Sav

Over-powered but benevolent Protagonist

• 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:40 PM

Great chapter, seeing what Bodhi is up to, still her old evil self, and I like that she absolutely hates the Bhaalspawn now :) ... but now I have to wait another month or so to see what happens between Mirriam and Jon! Gah!

#7 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:19 PM

Two weeks at the most - tis a promise. I am curious myself. :) But Bodhi needed her part - she has been scratching me for about 2 months now...

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#8 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 03:57 PM

Great story. I like your style with interwoven explanations and everything that sets the reader into pespective, it puts the published novels to shame. :)
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#9 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 04:03 PM

Great chapter, thanks for posting the link here.

As he dragged his stumbling feet back to the temple, all he could think of was what will happen to Dustan if he, Chyil, succumbs to poison before

it should read "succumbed to the poison before"

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#10 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 12:27 PM

Great story. I like your style with interwoven explanations and everything that sets the reader into pespective, it puts the published novels to shame.

Thank you - I try my best to accomodate the FR lore, and verify every fact before I dare to put it in... Hopefully BGA has an inner logic of sorts... and does a decent job of 'blending' the Baldurs Gate reality with FR 'proper'. It is not always easy.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#11 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 12:28 PM

it should read "succumbed to the poison before"

Thank you Cae - I am currently working on spellchecking/revising both 36/37 and writing 38. Every bit of input is priceless.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#12 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

Ashes got Chapter 38 today. It can be found at:

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch38.html

and is called 'Blind Hope'

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#13 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:26 PM

Finally added another Chapter to the Ashes today. It is called STRATAGEM (A MANEUVER IN A GAME OF CONVERSATION) and can be found here:

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch39.html

It is a bit twisted as you will immediately see... All will be explained soon.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#14 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:56 AM

Its a chapter like this that makes me wish Jon was not unable to inflict harm with his spells without causing hurt to himself.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:04 AM

Hmm... is this some ploy by Jon to do with Eldoth I wonder? Using Mirriam as bait for a trap? I don't believe for one moment that Mirriam would fall for anything Eldoth has to say.

#16 Sav

Sav

Over-powered but benevolent Protagonist

• 46 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, I agree with Guest... Mirri doesn't like Eldoth, this is a plan to get that dragon scale or something, which Eldoth has, and Jon (knowing Eldoth fancies Mirri) has hatched a plan with Mirri to get it, seeing as she's a good thief.

Heh, my theory on what's going on anyway, I reckon Jon and Mirri musta had sex, since both wanted it as much as each other anyway, so she can't be crying about that - it's all an act!

Hehe, great stuff dorotea.. am I right in my theory? :P

#17 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:41 PM

Ah. I wish I could confirm the idea of a trick. If you wish to be spoiled - highlight the text below. ;)

Unfortunately it is not so. Jon has had another one of his 'I want you, I want you not' spells, this time made worse by his recent situation with the elves.

I promise not to linger with the next chapter. But guys! I cannot do it all - I need to finish writing LR dialogs as well... not to mention code it all.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#18 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:36 AM

Oooh! It's a toss up but I REALLY wanna see what happens in the next BGA.. don't keep us waiting! We'll all go crazy!

#19 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 05:41 PM

:D I started Chapter 40 today - but since I need to revise and code some LR/R dialogs it won't happen at once. Still thank you for the interest. If you guys encourage me by posting questions and generally reminding me to hurry with the Ashes it helps a lot. Since I don't post it anywhere but the Ashes site it gets a bit lonely without input and I can stall if I think nobody is reading it anyway... ;)

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#20 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:35 PM

Chapter 40 of 'Bitter Grey Ashes' is finished. It was one of the hardest pieces I wrote, and maybe the most controversial. I would not exactly rate it 'R' but it contains violence and rape, so if you feel uncomfortable with the topics you may want to skip it.

It is called 'A Sip of Claret' and can be found at:

http://www.onlinefic...Ashes_ch40.html

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes