Am I the only one?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 -aqw-

-aqw-

Posted 22 October 2002 - 04:03 PM

Who never thougth of Imoen as a Sister?

When I hear about romances I thought Imoen would be one of them, and when I started playing, I held off on other romances to rescue her, only to discover that she was not romancable (is that even a word?).

I wend looking for mods and everyone is talking about 'she is charname's sister'.

Am I really the only one who doesn't see them that way?

#2 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 04:45 PM

I didn't see her that way, before

I do now though, but I still see her as romanceable, too
Is kitty :)

#3 LSWSjr

LSWSjr

Creator of DHSTU

• 48 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:50 PM

Most of the people over here at LSWSjr Publications Australia, thought that Imoen was a non-relation up untill when they rescued her. A few also thought that she would at somepoint be romanceable, although Rowan and I always considered her as the Protagonist's sister, firstly by adoption and then (in Throne of Bhaal) by Divine Right.

Note that I still believe that Imoen should be romanceable by the Protagonist, although every now and then I think the sister thing even by Divine Right disturbs me on some level. Yet love is with whoever you can find it with and I have in too numerous a set of occasions written, scripted, implemented and playtested Imoen romances for others and their games.

LSWSjr of LSWSjr Publications, Australia signing off.
[QUOTE]*
In the end, when the chips are down, when you feel like its all over, you have to ask yourself "Was this the right way to be defeated by the inevitable?" and there is only one answer... "It is in this liftime, so I'll see ya in the next, Rowan T. of LSWSjr Publications signing off!"

*Rowan Tritton of LSWSjr Publications/Productions/Studios Australia.

#4 Jurang

Jurang
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 01:44 AM

Nope, you're not the only one. I pretty much saw her the same way. Otherwise, I second everything LSWSjr said.

#5 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 06:36 AM

I did also, so see you're not alone.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 08:05 AM

I am curious: would everyone still have found Imoen so endearing if she had kept her [ugly] BG1 portrait?

I saw Imoen as a frightened girl on the verge of insanity... at first. Quite dramatic to say the least. Her dissolving spirit gave me more reason to hunt down Irenicus -- the same thing Yoshimo's death spurred on.

Considering she's supposed to be a best-friend-since-birth type character, I never gave all this a second thought.

If she was meant to be something more, then something would've happened before BG2. During the onset of puberty perhaps. The creators wrote her as a sister/half sister from the start, like it or not.

Imoen would've been all the more interesting if she failed to survive Spellhold.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#7 Jinnai

Jinnai

• 377 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 09:45 PM

I am curious: would everyone still have found Imoen so endearing if she had kept her [ugly] BG1 portrait?

probably...

The creators wrote her as a sister/half sister from the start, like it or not.

That's your opinion. I'm sure you can make referances too, so don't try saying but she says XXX and YYY to prove your point. A lot of it is in the way you interpret it. And i don't belive that when they made BG1 they desgined her as such. I doubt if they had much idea until near the end of it that she would have been another Bhaalspawn.

Imoen would've been all the more interesting if she failed to survive Spellhold.

Perhaps, but she did largley imo because they figured players would retry and retry to save her thinking, if i were just a bt faster....
And the fact is, she did
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 jurts

jurts
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 10:32 PM

Well, she and protagonist were raised as siblings, period. That makes her more his sister than any of this blood mumbo-jumbo. Fini.

#9 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 12:37 AM

I remember reading somewhere that she was planned as a Bhaalspawn from the start.

Bah! It doesn't matter; just have some fun.

#10 -Tel-Prydain-

-Tel-Prydain-

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:21 AM

Ironicly, when me and my girlfriend both played BG1 through she took Immy and we assumed that having lived in Candlekeep, in defferent families and with not many others our age around, Charname and Immy would have the start of a romance. So we played BG1 through with two childhood friends whom grow closer over the travels about the Sword Coast.

I got BGII before Renee did. I found out Immy was my 'sister'. I fell of my chair laughing and desided not to let Renee know. :lol:

Upon reaching that same part, Renee (roleplaying Jahera until we found Immy again) desided to continue the relationship on the basis of: We didn't know, we were raised in different families.

So, having said that, Romance should be in. :rolleyes:

#11 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:38 PM

How sweet :)
Is kitty :)

#12 The Outlaw Torn

The Outlaw Torn
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 06:25 PM

Whoa... someone on this forum who has a girlfriend. That's surely gotta be a first. :P
'...and if you see me strut, remind me of what left this outlaw torn...'

~'The Outlaw Torn', Metallica

#13 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 12:04 AM

Whoa... someone on this forum who has a girlfriend.  That's surely gotta be a first.  :P

*breaking temporarily a self imposed vow (after all I'm only NEUTRAL-good :lol: )*
Please, not only teenagers wander these places.
:o :rolleyes:

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#14 -Tel Prydain-

-Tel Prydain-

Posted 12 May 2003 - 03:14 AM

How sweet :)

We have gone out for 5 years now. When it started she was 15, and I was 18. Go us!

#15 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 03:23 AM

If she was meant to be something more, then something would've happened before BG2. During the onset of puberty perhaps. The creators wrote her as a sister/half sister from the start, like it or not.

She was added to Baldur's Gate very late on... not to mention the fact that NPC development in that game is almost non-existent. As for BG2, she was designed to be killed off, so such matters were never to be an issue for Bioware, nor would they have been regardless I suspect. Far too fringe.

#16 Riona

Riona
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 09:21 AM

I remember reading somewhere that she was planned as a Bhaalspawn from the start.

Bah! It doesn't matter; just have some fun.

*smiles* Interestingly enough, I've read (and I believe a designer said this) that Imoen *wasn't* meant to be a Bhaalspawn from the start. But since that was a long while ago and I have no clue where that post is, I can't prove it.

However, I always saw the PC and Imoen as growing up together and at the very least, thinking of themselves as siblings even if they weren't technically *raised as* siblings. After all, it is made clear that there really weren't many (if any) other children at Candlekeep, so the PC and Imoen had each other.

I'll always see the bond between Imoen and the PC as purely platonic in nature.
"Figured it out, yet?"

#17 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:07 AM

I always wondered why Gorian didn't take Imoen as well as the PC when leaving Candlekeep if she was [meant to be] a Bhaalspawn too. When speaking to Viconia in BG2, a male PC can tell her that he feels Imoen was the little sister he never had. As far as I'm concerned the nature of the relationship is clear.

Nice avatar CB. Who is it? Seems Manga-esque to me but I haven't kept up to date with the whole Japanese anime scene. Actually, I think I know who it is.

#18 Riona

Riona
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:25 AM

I always wondered why Gorian didn't take Imoen as well as the PC when leaving Candlekeep if she was [meant to be] a Bhaalspawn too. When speaking to Viconia in BG2, a male PC can tell her that he feels Imoen was the little sister he never had. As far as I'm concerned the nature of the relationship is clear.

Nice avatar CB. Who is it? Seems Manga-esque to me but I haven't kept up to date with the whole Japanese anime scene. Actually, I think I know who it is.

*grins* My avatar is a pic of Washuu, a genius, mad-scientist, and Kagato's old teacher (before he betrayed her). :D It is indeed anime/manga (Tenchi Muyo!).

And you're right--if the PC was in so much danger (being a Bhaalspawn) that he/she actually had to flee Candlekeep with Gorion into the night, than why wasn't Imoen also taken, for good measure?

Another thing worth wondering about is this: if Sarevok "saw the signs" of the PC's heritage while at Candlekeep, why didn't he see those signs in Imoen??? I got the impression that Sarevok had almost a "supernatural" sense of who the PC was, and there was no way of hiding it from him, either.
"Figured it out, yet?"

#19 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:16 AM

I thought I recognised the avatar, but I haven't watched anything Tenchi Muyo related in ages. I sometimes love the style of art seen in Japanese animated films and Japanese RPGs, especially.

Sarevok could've sensed the essence of Bhaal within a person when in large quantities. We are led to believe that the most powerful Bhaalspawn possess most of Bhaal's essence after all. It would also explain why the PC has such extraordinary abilities. Imoen could've hosted less of the fuel for Bhaal's return. Other than that, perhaps Sarevok just didn't meet Imoen, given her sneaky nature of course.

#20 Jinnai

Jinnai

• 377 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:40 AM

[quote name='Riona' date='Jun 4 2003, 08:25 PM'] Nice avatar CB. Who is it? Seems Manga-esque to me but I haven't kept up to date with the whole Japanese anime scene. Actually, I think I know who it is. [/QUOTE]
*grins* My avatar is a pic of Washuu, a genius, mad-scientist, and Kagato's old teacher (before he betrayed her). :D It is indeed anime/manga (Tenchi Muyo!). [/quote]
Yea, Tenchi Muyo! one of my fav animes ever

Heh,in fact my friend says my role model must be Mihoshi. :D
Posted ImagePosted Image