Photo

Tashia's romance talk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry

Jerry
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 09:28 PM

She told me she had forgotten all spells and need some weapon such as silver sword and Crom Faeyr. But my progress was still in chapter 3. How can she know these weapon? I had nothing part of them.

#2 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 05:27 AM

Because it's a joke.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#3 Jerry

Jerry
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 06:26 AM

Because it's a joke.

But...but she must know the existance of these things when she want to joke about them.

#4 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 10:19 AM

There are a few other conversations that take place elsewhere that come across as a meta-gaming instance like this. Take, for instance, that little cut scene in ToB when you revive those inexperienced adventures from being statues...

"I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave it up." "You gave up drinking?" "No, I gave up reading..."

#5 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:40 PM

True, but is that a disaster? Everybody who plays mods has finished the game at least once, so knows about the weapons; a bit of a joke (it actually made me smile) doesn't hurt that much. And the ToB scene with the inexperienced adenturers was by itself a meta-gaming instance, but a good joke nonetheless (it made me, in fact, laugh out loud).

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#6 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

Nope, I never saw it as a problem, I was only explaining that such things did show up in regular BG II.

"I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave it up." "You gave up drinking?" "No, I gave up reading..."

#7 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:56 PM

Because it's a joke.

But...but she must know the existance of these things when she want to joke about them.

I think that some items of great lore value like Carsomyr or Crom would be part of legends that many know of. Tashia as widely travelled as she is could have heard of them. Then again it is not as disruptive (for gameplay) as it sounds at first IMHO.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#8 Harbinger

Harbinger
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:12 AM

Indeed, these weapons have names for a reason. They are legendary, and were created for specific purposes.

#9 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 07:19 AM

Maybe the Crom reference should be changed to something else though, considering the fact you need a seperate scroll to find out its true name! Just change it to referencing something else... like the Celestial Fury.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#10 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 09:06 AM

I think that'd be a bit overreacting, no? Shouldn't the Silver Sword go too then? I mean, it just doen't sound that famous to me.

#11 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 09:31 AM

Silver Swords are the special weapon of the Githyanki. There are multiple silver swords, so Taisha having heard of them isn't beyond belief.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#12 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:39 AM

Grim's argument against Crom makes sense to me though.

Since the group is usually lugging more named swords amd other items around than the whole swordcoast, Celestial Fury or another weopon mentioned would be nice. It should be one difficult to get otherwise the scene makes no sense.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#13 Arian

Arian

One of Tashia's personal pets

• Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 10:43 PM

Because it's a joke.

I think that some items of great lore value like Carsomyr or Crom would be part of legends that many know of. Tashia as widely travelled as she is could have heard of them. Then again it is not as disruptive (for gameplay) as it sounds at first IMHO.

Yup. The idea of that was to be humorous in nature, and it doesn't break character as Tashia is quite an experienced adventuress already. :rolleyes:

"The very identity of every reasoning being is defined by the language, the communication between that being and others around it." -- Drizzt Do'Urden (R.A. Salvatore, "Exile")