Photo

Most 'Redeemable' BG - SoA - ToB villain

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

Poll: Of all the series' many villains who do you think has most potential to be redeemed? Obviously I have my preference, but I think we can have a fun discussion on the topic. (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Of all the series' many villains who do you think has most potential to be redeemed? Obviously I have my preference, but I think we can have a fun discussion on the topic.

1. Sarevok - why he was picked by Bio, he must be the one! (14 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

2. Tazok (I love demihuman villains better) (3 votes [3.66%])

Percentage of vote: 3.66%

3. Angelo (er - no thanks but tastes differ) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I think redeeming villains is lame (21 votes [25.61%])

Percentage of vote: 25.61%

5. Albert (the demon child looking for his doggie Rufie) (3 votes [3.66%])

6. Irenicus (16 votes [19.51%])

Percentage of vote: 19.51%

7. Bodhi (I simply love undead chicks!) (3 votes [3.66%])

8. Phaere (the sexy drow gal) (7 votes [8.54%])

Percentage of vote: 8.54%

9. Melissan the Blackheart (1 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

10. One of the Five Siblings of the PC (14 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#381 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:01 PM

But when I spoke of Imoen, I didn't mean the 'soul extraction' itself, I meant the things he did before that, such as dissecting Khalid in front of her. He mentions having to show her some very dark things in order to get what he wanted, and that was what I think was mental torment, first and foremost.

One more comment on this:

What he did to Imoen, he did when holding a position of absolute power over her. She lived, suffered, died and came back at his whim. In the redemption mod setting, he is one of six characters, all of them with near divine power, four or five of them having united against him repeatedly and successfully in the past. He should not have the power to intimidate his "companions", unless a concious decision has been made to cast him as dominant.

Edited by BobTokyo, 30 May 2004 - 06:47 PM.

#382 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:21 PM

But when I spoke of Imoen, I didn't mean the 'soul extraction' itself, I meant the things he did before that, such as dissecting Khalid in front of her. He mentions having to show her some very dark things in order to get what he wanted, and that was what I think was mental torment, first and foremost.

One more comment on this:

What he did to Imoen, he did when holding a position of absolute power over her. She lived, suffered, died and came back at his whim. In the redemption mod setting, he is one of six characters, all of them with near divine power, four or five of them having united against him repeatedly and successfully in the past. He should not have the power to intimidate his "companions", unless a concious decision has been made to cast him as dominant.

Well, Dorotea is the one who makes these decisions, so I will not speak for her. Let's just say that it's another of those matters that comes down to how you interpret different characters, eh? ;)

#383 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:31 AM

Well, Dorotea is the one who makes these decisions, so I will not speak for her. Let's just say that it's another of those matters that comes down to how you interpret different characters, eh? ;)

It's the difference between "cosmic terror" and "three time loser". ;)

#384 -Tancred-

-Tancred-

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:06 AM

Heh, any cynic will tell you that in war and conflict, "It's not those who are right who are often the winners, but those who are left". And Jon's still walking around!

#385 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:07 AM

Heh, any cynic will tell you that in war and conflict, "It's not those who are right who are often the winners, but those who are left". And Jon's still walking around!

IRENICUS:
None shall pass.
CHARNAME:
I have no quarrel with you, good Irenicus, but I must cross this bridge.
IRENICUS:
Then you shall die.
CHARNAME:
I command you, as the protagonist, to stand aside!
IRENICUS:
I move for no man (or woman, as the case may be).
CHARNAME:
So be it!
CHARNAME and IRENICUS:
Aaah!, hiyaah!, etc.
[CHARNAME chops the IRENICUS's left arm off]

CHARNAME:
Now stand aside, worthy adversary.
IRENICUS:
'Tis but a scratch.
CHARNAME:
A scratch? Your arm's off!
IRENICUS:
No, it isn't.
CHARNAME:
Well, what's that, then?
IRENICUS:
I've had worse.
CHARNAME:
You liar!
IRENICUS:
Come on, you pansy!
[clang]
Huyah!
[clang]
Hiyaah!
[clang]
Aaaaaaaah!
[CHARNAME chops the IRENICUS's right arm off]

CHARNAME:
Victory is mine!
[kneeling]
We thank Thee Lord, that in Thy mer--
IRENICUS:
Hah!
[kick]
Come on, then.
CHARNAME:
What?
IRENICUS:
Have at you!
[kick]
CHARNAME:
Eh. You are indeed brave, Irenicus, but the fight is mine.
IRENICUS:
Oh, had enough, eh?
CHARNAME:
Look, you stupid bastard. You've got no arms left.
IRENICUS:
Yes, I have.
CHARNAME:
Look!
IRENICUS:
Just a flesh wound.
[kick]
CHARNAME:
Look, stop that.
IRENICUS:
Chicken!
[kick]
Chickennn!
CHARNAME:
Look, I'll have your leg.
[kick]
Right!
[whop]
[CHARNAME chops the IRENICUS's right leg off]

IRENICUS:
Right. I'll do you for that!
CHARNAME:
You'll what?
IRENICUS:
Come here!
CHARNAME:
What are you going to do, bleed on me?
IRENICUS:
I'm invincible!
CHARNAME:
You're a looney.
IRENICUS:
Irenicus always triumphs! Have at you! Come on, then.
[whop]
[CHARNAME chops the IRENICUS's last leg off]

IRENICUS:
Oh? All right, we'll call it a draw.
CHARNAME:
Come, Aerie.
IRENICUS:
Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!

Edited by BobTokyo, 31 May 2004 - 07:19 AM.

#386 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:10 AM

It's the difference between "cosmic terror" and "three time loser". ;)

Come now - we all know that without the handy 'Spell of Reload', *all* of our respective CHARNAMEs would have been toast. ;)

#387 Tancred

Tancred

Hapless Paladin

• 209 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:12 AM

*snip Black Knight sketch*

That's what happens when your adversary has a magical construct for a body, I guess!

#388 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:19 AM

Come now - we all know that without the handy 'Spell of Reload', *all* of our respective CHARNAMEs would have been toast. ;)

Not mine baybee. ;)

At least not after the first dozen or so times I finished the game, so I guess I conceed the point. ;)

#389 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:53 AM

You mean you never die during a game??? I award you the title 'Ironman of BG'.

I thought this thread is just some easy chat. I did not expect the Spanish Inquisition during the last 13 pages. :P
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#390 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:59 AM

I thought this thread is just some easy chat. I did not expect the Spanish Inquisition during the last 13 pages. 

Laughs. Oh, they did not burn me at the stake, just yet, for bringing Irenicus back; although sometimes I feel as if some of the posters in this thread would not mind doing this, given half a chance. :P

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#391 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:19 AM

I thought this thread is just some easy chat. I did not expect the Spanish Inquisition during the last 13 pages. 

Laughs. Oh, they did not burn me at the stake, just yet, for bringing Irenicus back; although sometimes I feel as if some of the posters in this thread would not mind doing this, given half a chance. :P

Stake? That's nothing. What you *really* should fear is...THE COMFY CHAIR! ;)

#392 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:49 PM

he's old, older than all NPC:s except perhaps Viconia

Well, let's see. He was a young elf, then he was cursed to "a life no longer than a human's." I'd agree he's older than any other party-joinable except Viconia, since the only other elf is Aerie, but I'd also say he's much less than half Viconia's age. It's also worth noting that by his own word, he's becoming senile and needs to put his thoughts in writing to organize them.

I could of sworn elhan said that Irenicus restored his 'immortality' with death and bhodi through vampirism. Others probably interpit this differently, but i always saw it as 'life-drain style' gaining power from killing others, and the fact that bhodi would willingly become undead imply's its been more than long enough for her to die normally.
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#393 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:45 PM

I could of sworn elhan said that Irenicus restored his 'immortality' with death and bhodi through vampirism.

Quite the contrary--Demin says that Bodhi tried to restore her immortality with vampirism and it didn't work. No one says anything like that line about Irenicus.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#394 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:50 PM

I thought this thread is just some easy chat. I did not expect the Spanish Inquisition during the last 13 pages. :P

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. ;)

You mean you never die during a game??? I award you the title 'Ironman of BG'.

It's completely off topic, but Ironman is my prefered play style.

My current best was a full run through BP/BGT/NEJ at core without reloading. To each his (or her) own, eh? Which is why, while I comment on what I like and don't like about interesting mods, I'd never intentionally discourage folks from working on them.

Edited by BobTokyo, 31 May 2004 - 03:57 PM.

#395 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:56 PM

Laughs. Oh, they did not burn me at the stake, just yet, for bringing Irenicus back; although sometimes I feel as if some of the posters in this thread would not mind doing this, given half a chance.  :P

Never, Dorotea. :)

I might disagree about what I see as the way you've chosen to do this (Irenicus as cosmic terror, level 30+ CHARNAME and company quaking before his dominant might as he continues his abuse), but if I didn't think the project was interesting I wouldn't be looking in at all. Peace, eh?

Edited by BobTokyo, 31 May 2004 - 03:58 PM.

#396 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:01 AM

I might disagree about what I see as the way you've chosen to do this (Irenicus as cosmic terror, level 30+ CHARNAME and company quaking before his dominant might as he continues his abuse), but if I didn't think the project was interesting I wouldn't be looking in at all. Peace, eh?

Hey, no offense was taken. I am a bit overwhelmed with writing at the moment - as the end drows closer I feel like finishing it all in a week... yet I canot honestly force the ending without my usual approach - let the texts simmer and settle and absorb all the input I can get. And there is Ashes... so, I only participate in the discussion when I have time, no disrespect to the other posters... but you guys surely want the mod out eventually, yes? ;)

As for 'cosmic terror' label (I believe that was Domi's chuckle - and although I respect her greatly I find her judgements a little er emotional), yeah I guess he is somewhat overpowered - but I am only following the logic of the original plot and the idea that Jon was still a formidable rival worth defeating, therefore PC and the npcs should be wary of him.

The whole concept of him joining and the plot behind it though, ensures that Jon is 'totally and completely' under PC's control, basically his unlife is tied to that of PC and the contrast between his status as almost a slave in the group and his still formidable powers puts in a twist that makes the dialogs sharper and more bitter if you like... But I don't think Irenicus is in a position to 'torment' anybody in LR, just the opposite.

If you are so imaptient - why don't you ask me nicely for a password to the Workroom and read the dialogs? My only condition will be - no public discussions UNTIL THE MOD IS RELEASED.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#397 -dragonlord-

-dragonlord-

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:24 PM

[COLOR=blue]i would have redeemed Jonny mainly bcause if u remember in the game it says that his sister was always telling him to do the stuff. Phaere would have been good too but xtrmely difficult as she had basicly the good beaten out of there and all thats left is hatred. Balthazar i wish i didn't have to fight because the only reason he was trying to kill u was because he thought that u were (whether or not u wanted to be) evil. I never finished BG1 but I don't like Tazok from his encounter in Fircrag's(did i spell that right) lair. and angelo I'm not sure. the demon boy i dont know but it sounds to me like he just wants his dog. Bodhi and Mellisan no way. Bodhi was one of the main reasons that Joneleth fell. and Mellisan betrayed a truely evil god to bcome more powerful and she was one of Bhaal's top (in other word's most evil) Deathstalkers. And than what would happen to her with the essence she had melded herself with it. Sarevok I'm not sure u can kinda redeem him and his epilouge(that right) says that after he was done adventuring with CHARNAME he went to bury his love. And as for others of the Five i dought it they attacked u for doing nothing (except Abizigal he attacked u after u killed his son) and they were all evil and have tried to kill all the bhaalspawn for their own advancement as servents of Bhaal. btw anybody know when redemptionLR will be ready.

#398 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:05 PM

We are trying our best to releasethe mod by September... but it is always a gamble. I can only say that over ths week we coded and debugged (mostly) the entire Enclave sequence.

All is left to finish is the scenes inside the ToB.

D.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes