Photo

Playing the Sword Angel

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Caveman

Caveman
  • 835 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:39 PM

I'll add stuff as I notice it, I will check this problem, but don't know if I'll be able to do something right now. Anyway this would cause additional installation ordering issues.

No need to bother, the kit has been performing beyond expectations so far. Most of the 'minor' battles I've been able to walk right through(The battle in the circus tent was almost over as soon as it started). I just post anything I notice...ignore me if I go off on a tangent. Haven't found any bugs with the kit so far. All things they are prohibited from using are correct. Being able to use Bracers of Defense has really increased survivability at the lower levels. A very nice addition! :D

Since the Serpent Staff is a poisonous weapon, it shouldn't be useable by the Sword Angel.

That's right! That was from Watcher's Keep or ToB, right? Going to be a while before I get there. When I get a chance I will CLUA all the questionable weapons & equipment and check them out.
@JTrebeil-- S.A. & Strength: Good points you make and valid logic you use, not just dismissing your ideas out of hand or anything. Just the S.A. isn't a stereotypical Fighter. As far as the game goes, not having a super-human STR doesn't detract from the kit at all. ;) Rping...I see your point about finding a balance. Sword Angel's THAC0 increases as their level does, naturally...and they will reach the equivalent to hit bonus of 25 STR, +7, IIRC before game's end(ToB). They're no ordinary fighter. The best perspective I can put their philosophy in...is it's the opposite of the 'victory-at-all-costs' one. Some people won't cross certain lines in battle. Striking downed opponents, attacking from behind, attacking surrendered/retreating enemies, inflicting a wound that is meant to cause greater pain/suffering than necessary. A large damage modifier kind of bears on the last one somewhat. Brutality and finesse are interconnected(I forget what the mathematical term for this is, inversely proportional?) you cannot increase one, realistically(mock fighting not counted), without decreasing the other, and vice versa.
About Ilyich & Comrades--

on a second thought, it can live that way

It's not an issue as I see it, one of those unavoidable confrontations (Not like you are going to be able to convince him that you are there to stir the peace loving workers of Amn into revolution!! :lol:). I don't recall any other fights that start that way...

Having such a great challange at the start makes the Dungeon very interesting and tactical - I LOVE Ilych & Co

I was cursing at the time! :lol: but looking back it was a nice way to start the game. Some decent xp. Full plate, Hvy. Xbow +2, Club +3, and +3 Bolts.

but I truly hate those cheating Shadow Thief imitating Fighter-Mages.

The ones in Mae'var's place, right? That was a DIRTY fight!

That was my quote of the day.
Back to the game! :D

#22 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:48 PM

but I truly hate those cheating Shadow Thief imitating Fighter-Mages.

The ones in Mae'var's place, right? That was a DIRTY fight!

No, I meant the Shadow Thief-looking, wand/spell using, cheating Fighter-Mages in Irenicus' dungeon. <_<
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#23 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:39 AM

The Serpent Staff is indeed unusable.

the kit has been performing beyond expectations so far.

Thanx again for the work and the feedback, Caveman :)
But, erm, aren't you stating that it is TOO powerful, are you? :blink:
What about the graphical side? All good?

Brutality and finesse are interconnected (I forget what the mathematical term for this is, inversely proportional?)

Well said, but it's also a matter of plain intentions here :)

Haven't found any bugs with the kit so far.

@TGM:
*READ* that! :lol: :lol: :P

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#24 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:50 AM

Haven't found any bugs with the kit so far. 

@TGM:
*READ* that!

Heh, only until my deadly algorythm is being activated... <_< :lol:
Posted Image

#25 Caveman

Caveman
  • 835 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:13 AM

But, erm, aren't you stating that it is TOO powerful, are you?

No, I wouldn't say too powerful, by any definition. I expected it to be underpowered at the lower levels and to get killed quite often, with Tactics and Ascention both installed. It still happens, don't get me wrong, with undead especially. I'll be relying on Prot. from Undead and Restoration Scrolls heavily this time around(something I'm not used to! :lol: ) In the past I kind of conserved certain spells and limited charge items. Now, thinking that the PC could get killed at any turn, I don't pull any punches, so to speak and the encounters so far have been going smoothly. If that made any sense.

What about the graphical side? All good?

Flawless so far.

Heh, only until my deadly algorythm is being activated...

:mellow: :huh: :blink:
Back to the game again! I'm a little behind schedule.

Off-topic:

No, I meant the Shadow Thief-looking, wand/spell using, cheating Fighter-Mages in Irenicus' dungeon.

I think I remember them(2nd level headed toward the exit?). IIRC, I dealt with them pretty dirty...either with a Fireball straight from a scroll, turned an Air Elemental on them(from scroll again), or picked them off w/ a combination of range weapons, spells, etc.

#26 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:42 AM

I think I remember them(2nd level headed toward the exit?). IIRC, I dealt with them pretty dirty..

No-no-no. Please don't tell me that you get me wrong ^_^ ! I'm talking about the irritating Shadow Thieves who wander through the ENTIRE dungeaon, both 1st and second level. The ones that attack you under an Invisibility effect instead of stealth, and use different wands - some of them have war dogs.
Posted Image

#27 Caveman

Caveman
  • 835 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:51 AM

No-no-no. Please don't tell me that you get me wrong  ! I'm talking about the irritating Shadow Thieves who wander through the ENTIRE dungeaon, both 1st and second level

:huh: :huh: Now I'm starting worry. I had heard some mention of them, but I thought they had been replaced by the Duergar Party Member(mage) and Proletariat(fighter or berserker?), which was the only type of random encounter(I had well over 10 of them) I had in the almost 4 days there. :unsure: I'll have to check into this...
EDIT: I'll get to the bottom of this outrage!

#28 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:08 PM

You're right Caveman, they were replaced - it was my mistake, I was using v15 of Tactics. ;)
Posted Image

#29 Caveman

Caveman
  • 835 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:52 AM

I was using v15 of Tactics.

:lol: I see it now! Cool, cool...I was starting to worry. It sounds to me like the change was a good thing. That's some heavy stuff to be putting in the first level!

#30 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:51 AM

Quick addition:
A "minor" event in the Drow City may cause S.A. to fall, now (depending on player's behaviour).
Could be expanded for future versions...

#31 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:16 AM

What happens, if a SA falls? Back to plain fighter or what? Can he regain this status? Sorry for not finding this answer in my search so far. :(
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#32 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:33 AM

Um, where did you search? :D
Try the most obvious: The Sword Angel.

PS.: third post ;) .
Posted Image

#33 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:08 AM

Um, where did you search? :D
Try the most obvious: The Sword Angel.

PS.: third post ;) .

Dang TGM you got me lazy bastard on this one. *walks out only two inches tall*
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#34 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:19 AM

Sometimes things right in front of your eyes are the hardest to notice ;) :P ...
Posted Image

#35 Caveman

Caveman
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:48 PM

A "minor" event in the Drow City may cause S.A. to fall

Thanks for the heads up! I think I know which one you're referring to. Though there was all sorts of less than honorable things going on, IIRC! :lol:
A little behind where I want to be in the game. But nothing a 2-day marathon and a caffine binge won't fix! :D Been leveling up, improving health and gaining knowledge and all to increase the life expectancy ... making some cash, too. No bugs or other flaws of any kind to report.

*walks out only two inches tall*

@Jester: :lol: I guess you found the answer by now. It's a real hard fall... ;)

#36 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 02:41 AM

Though there was all sorts of less than honorable things going on, IIRC! :lol:

ehehe, I know.
I add things that happen to come to my mind, and happen to seem quick-inserts for version 1! ^_^

#37 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:28 AM

After testing it, I'd suggest to increase the regeneration rate of the Regeneration SA HLA. It is identical to the Monk Regeneration ability, but this can only be picked once, while the monkish version can be chosen 3 times. And while a monk can reach a 1HP/sec rate with that version, a SA will always be limited to 2HP/round.
I'd suggest increasing the reheneration bonus of this SA ability to 3HP/round. This way it gains a 50% bonus, but won't become too powerful for this kit.
Posted Image

#38 -gasxero-

-gasxero-

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:52 PM

how can you really roleplay this type of character?

during your adventures you rarely have the opportunity to defeat your oponents w/ out killing them...and if you knock them out they are just going to get back up and kill you. the sword angel is a hypocrite who toys with his prey before killing it.

#39 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:27 PM

If you think about it, red circle=/= must be killed. There are many enemies who attack you that could be incapacitated (knocked unconscious), giving the PC and friends a chance to leave the area.

If you look at things closely, the only enemies you need to kill in SoA are Irenicus, Bodhi and a few others. You can probably count the total number of enemies who must be killed on two hands.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#40 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:37 PM

If you think about it, red circle=/= must be killed. There are many enemies who attack you that could be incapacitated (knocked unconscious), giving the PC and friends a chance to leave the area.

If you look at things closely, the only enemies you need to kill in SoA are Irenicus, Bodhi and a few others. You can probably count the total number of enemies who must be killed on two hands.

Too bad you can't take prisoners ! :lol: