Photo

B file erros

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:28 PM

This is my difficulty. I have been trying out my new NPC, but I cannot get him to compile. The B file keeps sending up errors. It lists two errors for the same line, the first one a syntax error, the second a parsing error. The trouble is that there is nothing wrong with the line! :unsure: :blink: Here it is:

~And then you joined with <CHARNAME> and left nature to rack and ruin?~

It is in the middle of a dialogue which is compiling without other trouble. The error shows up for the word "then." I tried rewording, thinking maybe "then" was a bad thing to use in dialogue. It did not help. Whichever word I put there came up with the same two errors. I deleted the word, and then "you" gave the errors. I tried deleting the line and typing it in again, but no change. I then tried hitting return before the line, but then instead of line 189 causing trouble, it was line 190. The word was still showing the error. The only thing that helped was entirely deleting the dialogue. But I got the same kind of double error later in some OTHER dialogue. Some totally ordinary word in the middle of the dialogue gave the program fits. :unsure: Is there something I can do about this? What can cause this problem? If anyone is willing to look at the file, please let me know. I can send you the whole file. I am becoming rather desperate, so please, help!!!!! :o What can I do to fix this error? The dialogue is coded in the same format as the several other dialogue ahead of it, which compiled without any difficulty. :unsure:

Silllara, the totally puzzled
Check out my RPG forum!

#2 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:56 PM

You've probably missed a tilde on the end of the line before. Because of this, the compiler thinks that the tilde at the start of the line you posted is the end of the previous line. Because of this it is choking on incorrect use of the word THEN. Check for a missing tilde.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#3 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:17 PM

Thank you, Grim. I will look! If I have trouble fixing it, I will be back, I assure you. :rolleyes:

SofT

Edit: That was it! Yay! Thank you!
Check out my RPG forum!

#4 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:13 AM

Any time.

#5 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:35 AM

All right. I am back again. :( I am having more troubles with my B file. This is what I have coded in:

IF ~InParty("Player1")
See("Player1")
!StateCheck("Player1",STATE_SLEEPING)
Class("Player1","FIGHTER_ALL")~ THEN BEGIN TSJ_TsujathaFighter
SAY ~You are a great warrior, <CHARNAME>.~
= ~Oh, I realize that you have yet much to learn; I have known my world's greatest warrior, the greatest warrior of her age--or of any age excepting only Ellon Tamar's.~
= ~But you are far from the pinnacle of your prowess. You have much potential.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~For a wizard, you certainly seem to know a lot about fighting.~ GOTO TSJ_TsujathaFighter1a
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Thank you. I think.~ GOTO TSJ_TsujathaFighter2a
END

I keep getting an error message about the first line IF ~InParty("Player1"). I realize that it is likely not this line that is the actual problem, but I do not know what IS. I have checked for missing tildes, but I cannot find any. I have tried it without quotes around "FIGHTER_ALL", and I have tried it just with FIGHTER. They all gave me the same error, a syntax and parsing error. Is there something I just don't know? Or will this never work?

Thank you in advance.
SofT
Check out my RPG forum!

#6 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:39 AM

You probably want:

IF ~See(Player1)
!StateCheck(Player1,STATE_SLEEPING)
Class(Player1,FIGHTER_ALL)~ THEN BEGIN TSJ_TsujathaFighter
SAY ~You are a great warrior, <CHARNAME>.~
= ~Oh, I realize that you have yet much to learn; I have known my world's greatest warrior, the greatest warrior of her age--or of any age excepting only Ellon Tamar's.~
= ~But you are far from the pinnacle of your prowess. You have much potential.~
++ ~For a wizard, you certainly seem to know a lot about fighting.~ GOTO TSJ_TsujathaFighter1a
++ ~Thank you. I think.~ GOTO TSJ_TsujathaFighter2a
END

You don't need to check that Player1 is in the party because (s)he always is. You don't want Player1 in quotes as his/her name isn't Player1.

#7 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:39 PM

Thank you, Grim! I will try this at once.

SofT

P.S. Sorry about the delay. I live in Japan, you know, and I just got up. :rolleyes:
Check out my RPG forum!

#8 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:05 PM

I tried it, but I got the same error. :( I do not know quite what to do. :unsure: Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

SofT
Check out my RPG forum!

#9 -icelus-

-icelus-

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

I'm not sure you need InParty(Player1). I don't think it's possible for Player1 to *not* be in the party. (I'm not very experienced with NPC coding, so this is only a guess).

#10 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

The only thing I can think of is that you've missed an END off of the previous block or you've got a CHAIN as the previous block (CHAINs have to go at the end of a dialogue file). If neither of these are true then post the previous block here (or e-mail me it) and I'll try to see what's wrong.

#11 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:14 PM

A chain as the previous block? :unsure: Yes. Oh dear. At least that is easily fixed. :rolleyes: I will just move all the (20+) chains to the end of the file. Thank you again, Grim! You are shooting all my troubles! :D

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#12 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:16 PM

Not a problem. Feel free to give me a shout if you have any more.

#13 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:24 PM

Hurrah! That part is fixed. But now it cannot read the class BARBARIAN. It says
Class argument [BARBARIAN] not found in [Class:IDS].

I realize that that is a problem, and I have heard that the game has trouble with class specifics. Am I just going to have write off the idea of a barbarian dialogue, or is there something that can be done?

Thank you again!

Sillara, the bewildered by her B file
Check out my RPG forum!

#14 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:28 PM

It actually thinks of BARBARIAN as a kit rather than a class but I recall there being problems with it recognising the difference between a BARBARIAN and a WILDMAGE due to the hex values in Kit.ids. For now I'd recommend giving it the same dialogue as a fighter.

#15 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:32 PM

So if I put FIGHTER_ALL then the barbarians will get the dialogue, too, right? I can do that. Thank you again, Grim! I am working on my B and J files right now, so I expect that I will be back again several times this morning. :rolleyes:

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#16 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

The beginning modder returns! I keep getting a parse warning about the program not recognizing the Class WIZARD_ALL. What does that mean? It continues trying to compile. I have reached--and repaired, thanks to Grim's advice--a few errors that occur AFTER that, but I am concerned about the parse warning. Does that mean that the dialogue will never fire? Or something even worse? I have never gotten a parse warning before! Help!

SofT

Edit: I have also hit a problem with Kit argument [TALOS]. It does not recognize such a kit. The game has to have SOME way to recognize that. I mean, when I played a cleric of Lathandar, I did not get offered a room in the temple of Talos! Please help again!
Check out my RPG forum!

#17 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

Check the appropriate .ids file for the values you can use for class and kits.

#18 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 06:34 PM

Why is my program not finding the BIMOEN file? Is there no such file? Is there any way to have Imoen initiate dialogue? I remember reading that there was no such file because Imoen was intended to die in Spellhold. Is that true? If so, what do I do to get Immy to initiate dialogue?

Thank you, by the way for the earlier help. My B file is now working--except for the Imoen bits!

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#19 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:59 PM

INTERDIA.2DA contains this line:

IMOEN2 NONE BIMOEN25

... as you see, IMOEN2's banter file is set to "NONE." Imoen cannot start SOA banter using the in-game timer or the Interact() command. However, you can use scripting with the Dialogue() series of commands and her IMOEN2J dialogue file to get her to initiate a banter using IMOEN2J. Alternately, just rewrite the banters slightly so that the other banter participant starts it, which was the trick I used in Kelsey-SOA.

#20 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:31 PM

I think I will just rewrite them so that my NPC starts them. That sounds MUCH easier! :D

Thank you!

Sillara

Edit: Does that mean that instead of chaining to the BIMOEN file, I need to chain to the IMOEN2J? :unsure: I think it does, but I am not sure. Thanks again!
Check out my RPG forum!