Photo

CHAIN problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:46 PM

I have my B file fully compiled, and I have attempted to get my NPC/NPC interactions to work. I am failing. My NPC (Tsujatha, DV=TSUJATH) will initiate his banters with the other NPCs, and they respond. The difficulty is that THEY will not initiate their banters with him.

My Bfile contains this scripting:

CHAIN
IF WEIGHT #15 ~InParty("TSUJATH")
See("TSUJATH")
!StateCheck("TSUJATH",STATE_SLEEPING)
Global("AnomenTsujathaTalk","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BANOMEN TSJ_AnomenPast
~Tsujatha, tell me more of what it was that gave you strength to leave behind the pain of your past.~
DO ~SetGlobal("AnomenTsujathaTalk","LOCALS",2)~
== BTSUJAT
~I have told you that it is not something I can speak of, even now after many years.~

I tried this without putting the mysterious WEIGHT #15 in it. It failed. It fails as it is. The Global is 1. It was set by the previous, Tsujatha-initiated talk, which fired without trouble. None of the Tsujatha-initiated ones have problems, and none of the other NPC initiated ones will fire. As I mentioned, the file will compile properly, but I have no idea what is wrong. I have looked at the scripts of other NPCs, and they looked just like this. (I even added the WEIGHT #15 because I saw it in some other script. Mine originally did not have it, and it did not work then, either.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sillara
P.S. If you've seen this at CoM, sorry for the double post.
Check out my RPG forum!

#2 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:46 AM

Well, you shouldn't need the WEIGHTing. But I can't see anything wrong with it. Are you sure it doesn't run? You tried using the console to manually trigger banters?
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#3 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:20 AM

Who started the other talk? Tsujatha? If that's the case then the variable is set to 1 for him only. If try making the variable GLOBAL rather than LOCALS for both banters if you're switching off who starts.

#4 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:15 AM

:D Thank you!!! I was using ctrl+I to fire the talks off, and I was getting everything in the right order--except the ones fired by other NPCs. I will change it from a LOCALS to a GLOBAL. Yay! And I will drop the needless WEIGHT. Thanks!!!

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#5 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 02:44 AM

I have been using the B file (and others) to trigger my journal entries, something like this:

DO ~SetGlobal("FindJavin","GLOBAL",1)~UNSOLVED_JOURNAL~Blah.
Blah, blah.~
END

Or EXIT as appropriate. So far, though, I have done it only in dialogues. Is it possible to do in a CHAIN? Weidu keeps refusing to compile when I put that at the end of a CHAIN, even when I switch it to IF ~~ THEN DO instead of DO. Is it just not possible to put in a chain?

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#6 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:24 AM

For clarification, this is what I have:

CHAIN BFLAN BetraySorkyst1b
~(Flan Brel blah.)~
== BTSUJAT
~Blah.~
= ~(Blah.)~
DO ~SetGlobal("SorkystSmallTeeth","GLOBAL",1) ~UNSOLVED_JOURNAL~Recover the Riosé Sar for Tsujatha.

Blah.~
EXIT

It won't get past the UNSOLVED_JOURNAL. What have I done wrong?

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#7 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:52 AM

Try using a .tra file for the journal entries. You can use actual strings when adding journal entries in scripts but I'm pretty sure you cannot in dialog files.

#8 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:15 AM

I got it to work in my B file before (and in a couple of other B files). It was just in CHAIN that I could not get it to work. :unsure: I still cannot, but I will keep trying.

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!