Photo

is it a question of taste

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 Zulrik

Zulrik
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:37 PM

definatly liking it so far. i'd go with half elven, elves in my opinion are too vain and uptight
This is my depressed stance. When you're depressed, it makes a lot of difference how you stand. The worst thing you can do is straighten up and hold your head high because then you'll start to feel better. If you're going to get any joy out of being depressed, you've got to stand like this.
~Charlie Brown

RPGDungeon

#22 Sharess

Sharess
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:53 PM

(chuckles) She will be vain, and at least mildly flippant, herself. Any other reason?
...I long to hear her moan
For I can be wicked...
Longing (self-angst) '94

#23 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:56 PM

When it comes to rodent romances as Grim suggested. STAY CLEAR of those, I beg you. I had so many many hamsters before and I just didn't know how to love him.

Do as you like and do not listen to the Krauts (yeah those guys as well and the crowds). :D Great stuff so far. :)
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#24 Zulrik

Zulrik
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:57 PM

i hate elves :angry:

(chuckles) She will be vain, herself. Any other reason?

any reason to the whole being vain thing? i like women who know there great or whatever, but she take it a little too far?
This is my depressed stance. When you're depressed, it makes a lot of difference how you stand. The worst thing you can do is straighten up and hold your head high because then you'll start to feel better. If you're going to get any joy out of being depressed, you've got to stand like this.
~Charlie Brown

RPGDungeon

#25 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:47 PM

I agree with the half-elf idea. Elves tend to be too serious to flirt randomly with many people. Elves choose their mates carefully, and, if I remember correctly, rather slowly. Half-elves have more freedom in choosing their path of life, and it would give even more opportunity for conflict between her parents (two different species and all).

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#26 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:26 PM

Well, one thing that speaks iin favour of not pure blood elf is the name, as the elf is more likely to have a Quenya-like name.

The family problems described are more consistent with both parents being half-elven, since it is more common for a half-elven child to be raised with her mother's peoples, ie she would most probably not have known her father at all, if parents were of different races.

#27 -BobTokyo-

-BobTokyo-

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:26 PM

First off, I strongly encourage anything that adds interesting in-character interaction to the game. A mod with adult content might work well. On the other hand, I'd second Domi's warning about keeping the character from becoming one-dimensional. "I like to boink" may have a certain novelty value as a battle cry, but is likely to give the wrong impression to gangs of burly Orcs.

The class and stats look good, but the background doesn't sound right for FR Elven culture.

Good luck with the project.

#28 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:37 PM

I suppose a cutscene orgy in the Copper Coronet - PG, of course! - is absolutely out of the question?
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#29 Ismail

Ismail

Squirrel Pride Worldwide!

• 423 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:36 AM

I wasn't suggesting she'd be a drow. after all, these critters don't go around running on the surface a lot...

as an elf, she could only be an outcast (because of her personality as seen thus far and second... well, if she'd be one of Elhan's goons, she'd just end up dead very soon). But why not make her just human?

And as for the class... well, she DEFINITELY doesn't fit to be a mage with these stats. But by personality, she'd fit to be a thief of some sorts, most likely. (let's face it, she doesn't sound awfully lot like a monk :-p)
Lahinguväljal joome, raisk!

#30 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:16 AM

(let's face it, she doesn't sound awfully lot like a monk :-p)

New monk kit: Tantric Sailor Scout

"Monkey steals the peach!"

"Hungry tiger leap!"

"Wiggle hips stance!"

#31 Sharess

Sharess
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:45 AM

jester, you silly boy, I do not play with hamsters. I do have a soft spot for warm and cuddly things, however; rabbits are quite cute as well. Are you to be the foole of the thread then?

I do thank you all for your input.

Being chaotic good tends to lead to rather frivolous behavior, so your point is noted Sillara. Domi, your knowledge elven lore is apparent, as is my lack of it, now. Strictly out of curiousity, what name would be similar?

Ah Ismail, I was just thinking the same thing. I am human after all -- What else could I know better? She is certainly no monk, yet would not be daunted by one either. People are puzzles, and the right ones are challenges.

Hendryk, there is no such thing as a parentally-approved orgy, unless it involves food. (levels you a look) Do you really mean to say that you'd favor seeing little manequin people flailing on the floor? That is what it would look like, you know. The imagery is amusing enough, but hardly worth the effort. Besides, did I not point out the Angela chooses one mate? She might have a bit of fun with you in the choosing, however, hmm?

This is going to be an adult getting-to-know-you mod, if I can pull it off. Extended flirt packs, if you will. You all do know the difference between flirting and fu****g, right? I've already lightly flirted with several of you; it doesn't have to be anything overt, aye? The flirting will, obviously, get more and more serious.

I'm still mulling over that boring history. I find it interesting what is assumed already. I only said that growing up was a necessity but when coupled with her getting ~misty, you assume the parents fought? Have you never had a sibling who was so different from you and they knew it? -- something like my brother, so much so that he had people dropping him off at the house next door -- The father is merely over-bearing, he expects a lot from people. Something I certainly wanted to get away from growing up.

(grins) It's all in the words. Words (used properly) are the most powerful tool we have.
...I long to hear her moan
For I can be wicked...
Longing (self-angst) '94

#32 -BobTokyo-

-BobTokyo-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:08 AM

there is no such thing as a parentally-approved orgy

Depends on the culture, and the parents.

Alternative answer:

"Obviously you've never been down south"
;)

#33 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:12 AM

Domi, your knowledge elven lore is apparent, as is my lack of it, now. Strictly out of curiousity, what name would be similar?

Here is a quick cook-a-FR-elven-name guide:

http://www.angelfire...adow/names.html

but I would use this dictionary (loosely based on Quenya) for the roots, as the ones in the proposed tables do not match well, and Tolkien's Elven is much better known, documented and developped.

http://grey-company....guage/intro.htm

Hope, that helps

#34 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:33 AM

I am the fool of any thread, mylady. :D

As long as it is not a parentally supervised orgy ('remember: If you need anything we are upstairs my dear') I am all for it. :)

Edited by jester, 14 April 2004 - 04:34 AM.

"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#35 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:52 AM

I am the fool of any thread, mylady. :D

As long as it is not a parentally supervised orgy ('remember: If you need anything we are upstairs my dear') I am all for it. :)

I guess I just get annoyed at the thin gloss over standard Western Judeo-Christian culture that's so much a part of the Euro-American Fantasy genre. Heck, elves and dwarves live many hundreds of years and don't seem to be subject to STDs (Cure Disease); "Contraception" couldn't be more than a cantrip level spell. Why assume that they're following modern European familly structures?

;)

#36 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:14 AM

Ok then. Agreed. Frolicking dwarves it is. I luv orgies. :P

Free your mind

#37 -BobTokyo-

-BobTokyo-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:32 AM

If you take the Pratchett concept that Dwarves have sex but not gender (i.e. males and females dress and behave entirely the same, with minor physical differences concealed by clothing) and don't age cosmetically after maturity, the implications for relationships become fairly interesting. ;)

(OK, not FR Dwarves and slightly off topic).

On topic for this sort of more-explicit flirt pack of a mod, it's established that the realms (pre-WOTC) had widely varied gender roles and familly structures, so there's no reason that such a mod can't work. The main problem is keeping the flirts from getting overly anachroistic.

#38 Melisah

Melisah

Ranger Chick

• 79 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:30 AM

A thought: I certainly don't mean to make you uncomfortable, Melisah. I just thought you may have had some input there. I was mistaken and leave you to hiding behind that chair. Mayhap someone else would care to engage me.

You didn't make me feel uncomfortable, I really thought you were joking because of some of my previuos threads about not being satisfied with certain romance mods out there.

Input, I think it depends on the person (or elf or halfling ect...) and no one gender is more fickle than the other. I do admit I'm fickle, but I also know plently of men out there that are also so simply put, gender has nothing to do with it.

Good luck with this mod and go with your vision on how you think it should be. I think it'll be quite unique if you do.

#39 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:45 AM

"Contraception" couldn't be more than a cantrip level spell. Why assume that they're following modern European familly structures?

Well, actually contraception is herbal-based, there is male contraceptive brew (Narraroot, I think) and a female one (do not remeber of hand).

The societal and family structure is described in great details in the Complete Books of Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes etc, which are prescriptive for Toril (the world were Faerun is located and is a very loose analogue of Medieval Europe)

#40 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:25 AM

If you take the Pratchett concept that Dwarves have sex but not gender (i.e. males and females dress and behave entirely the same, with minor physical differences concealed by clothing) and don't age cosmetically after maturity, the implications for relationships become fairly interesting. ;)

(OK, not FR Dwarves and slightly off topic)

Actually, I think FR/D&D Dwarves and Disworld Dwarves are very similar (though perhaps Pratchett's Dwarves are somewhat more obssessed with gold ;)). Female Dwarves in the FR certainly grow beards.