Photo

Why are you waiting

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:13 PM

I kind of doubt that Littiz was making a statement of fact there Domi. I'd say from the context that it is obvious the the statement was an opinon. We really don't need lots of extra little qualifiers to cover every possible interpretation and reading of an innocent posting.

I simply disagree with an opinion that *any* mod can be a must for a player.

#22 amazinggameguru

amazinggameguru

Spellhold Inmate

• 188 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:36 PM

Yup, I was around for the beginning at IEEAIS then. Really too bad that group had to go south because of one person.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#23 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:45 PM

I kind of doubt that Littiz was making a statement of fact there Domi.  I'd say from the context that it is obvious the the statement was an opinon.  We really don't need lots of extra little qualifiers to cover every possible interpretation and reading of an innocent posting.

I simply disagree with an opinion that *any* mod can be a must for a player.

I would say you are taking the statement of Littiz in a context it was quite obviously not meant for. "Must have" is a common phrase which represents high quality, and has nothing to do with compatibility or any such nonsense. Hair splitting isn't going to change this.

Yup, I was around for the beginning at IEEAIS then. Really too bad that group had to go south because of one person.

The gates of a stronghold are not opened from the outside.

#24 -Cybersquirt-

-Cybersquirt-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:01 PM

"Must have" is a common phrase which represents high quality, and has nothing to do with compatibility or any such nonsense. Hair splitting isn't going to change this.

Indeed, but any remark can easily be taken out of context. The problem is only exacerbated when it becomes a band wagon as it berates, more than anything.

I've always attributed 'must have' to a matter of opinion only, interestingly enough. One must always consider the source. ;)

But enough of that; I'm just waiting to see if an excellent plan, excellent writing, and steadfast dedication can eventually be made into something. :D

#25 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 April 2004 - 01:33 AM

I think I'm still half fan - half team member, after all I didn't partecipate to the creative phase and there are still areas of the mod I don't know at all :)
Just wanted to give an opinion to the waiting masses as per this hybrid role ^_^

What I wanted to say is that the mod has always had this "Best_Mod_Evev Aura", a well deserved aura imho, but the aura alone doesn't address all the little issues, and collaboration with other skilled modders is not to be looked at with suspicion. :)

Anyway, I should be back to actual work in some days.
Oh, and Domi's right, as my ancestors used to say, "De gustibus non disputandum (est)."
Let's just say I will be surprised if someone won't play this mod :rolleyes:

#26 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 01:35 AM

Me again <_<
I log in my forum and for some reasons the cookies don't work here :angry:

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#27 -Cybersquirt-

-Cybersquirt-

Posted 17 April 2004 - 02:23 AM

(after you log-in, and check the always stay logged in option, reset/resave your browser links)

#28 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:20 AM

I think I'm still half fan - half team member, after all I didn't partecipate to the creative phase and there are still areas of the mod I don't know at all :)
Just wanted to give an opinion to the waiting masses as per this hybrid role ^_^

What I wanted to say is that the mod has always had this "Best_Mod_Evev Aura", a well deserved aura imho, but the aura alone doesn't address all the little issues, and collaboration with other skilled modders is not to be looked at with suspicion. :)

Anyway, I should be back to actual work in some days.
Oh, and Domi's right, as my ancestors used to say, "De gustibus non disputandum (est)."
Let's just say I will be surprised if someone won't play this mod :rolleyes:

The mailing list awaits your thoughts.

#29 BesterP12

BesterP12
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:52 AM

I'm really looking forward to it because as others have said, you're a good writer and I love to be able to actualy roleplay in a game. The new areas to explore and such a huge amount of changes should be worth it in the end. I can tell that a lot of work went into this over the years and that it should be very professional. The release of this mod will give me a reason to play the game again, something that probably wouldn't happen for another year otherwise. KotOR is really helping make the wait eem shorter though.

At some point before then, the BGI NPC project might help with that as well by giving me a reason to replay BGI/Tales. The only other big fan project I'm looking forward to about as much would be AGDI's Trial by Fire remake, but that's because I've been waiting for someone to do that for years.

#30 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:17 AM

(after you log-in, and check the always stay logged in option, reset/resave your browser links)

Thanx but problems are:
-I've to deal with multiple identities in this PC
-I have a junk-removing program that removes junk, including cookies, unless I sit down and deselect the junk I want to keep (which doesn't happen...) :D

The mailing list awaits your thoughts.

You'll hear from me in 2 or 3 days :)

#31 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:11 AM

I think that the board updates may also have a bit to do with that. I had the same cookie problem & it turned out that I was using shortcuts to old board links. Re-did the shortcuts & all was well.

As for why anyone should wait for RtW ... well it has something for everyone. The role-players will get fantastic new content. The battle mongers will get to try their wits against new AI. The folks looking for new high quality content will get their wishes in spades.

#32 -Sir Buliwyf-

-Sir Buliwyf-

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:49 AM

I am waiting because:

1. The Paladin content. I'm really hoping this will make up for the poor Paladin side quest in BG2.
2. From what I have seen, i like the story concept.
3. Because I know a little of the writers and am impressed.
4. I've had a sneak peek and am impressed.
5. Know just how much work has and is going into it and that reassures that it will be quality.
6. I need something to do with my time.... wha?? at least I'm honest :P

#33 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:07 PM

I sincerely hope that our little jewel will live up to all the hype:) Hehe... I should point out that the mod was actually started in November 2001!!! At least, that is when I had written the concept story. LOL, after 3+ years... I am also looking forward to its completion.

Cuv

#34 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:25 PM

Allow me to redirect the question at the team:

What is it that motivates you to spend 3+ years on a mod? What do you look forward to most upon completion?

#35 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:20 AM

While Cuv's maths is somewhat dubious, I'll reply to the question as it should be.

What motivates me is simple, I enjoy creating the characters and writing the story. Sure, Cuv had an idea in mind, the backstory was in place, but I'm the one who fleshes it out. I had thought to write AI for BG2, but I find the creative process more satisfying in that I control events, include the outcomes that I find so obvious, that should have been in there before. With AI I would be battling the scripting system, but with dialogue it's how much time I am willing to dedicate that is my only limitation.

I look forward simply to see what people make of the more verbose PST style. Will they think the writing long-winded and boring, or will they enjoy the extra depth, options and replayability? Will they find each time through comes to a different outcome, or will they find that no matter what they choose, everything turns out the same? I'll be interested to see.

It should be good to see if my writing lives up to its reputation, one it seemed to gain despite very little for people to base this conclusion upon. In fact, people were excited even when all I'd written was Bodhi for Ascension, complete with the unique "prehaps" spelling. I can only suppose that my posts outlining my intent were what interested people. At least there is some content out there now, both on this forum and the Imoen Relationship forum, to give people an actual basis for writing evaluation. Of course, I haven't heard anything negative yet (on the forums), and considering you can't please all of the people all of the time, that suggests I have only heard a very limited point of view so far.

#36 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:35 PM

My middle name is "Dubious" :rolleyes: And I got a D- in math.... or as Quitch would say, "maths". :D

Quitch is right though, I had a basic background story but he was the one who fleshed it out with the dialog.

Ascension was a good opportunity for us to get our 'feet wet' with modding, who better to collaborate with than David Gaider himself. The only piece of writing I did for that was the Balthazar epilogues and having Bhodi joinable was my inspiration (of which Quitch wrote the wonderful dialog).

I had missed the old days of PnP, and had an old module that I had written back in the late '70s that I wanted to bring to the computer. Sure, it could've been a TC, but that was way beyond my skill level at the time... so an adaptation was a more appropriate solution, merging it into the SoA storyline. As the mod took shape, it departed drastically from the original story written... but in a much more satisfying and epic direction. I love seeing a backstory created for each character in the mod (while much of that will never be seen), and it brings the characters to life with proper depth. I also wanted to see a new quest in BG2. As the mod began, it became apparent quickly that I had better learn how to create new tilesets and areas. This was essential to the story (re-used areas look so bad in a mod... it distracts from the experience seeing places you have already been), so I had to become an area expert. They look like something right out of BG2, but are all new. I suppose that I am most proud of the story and the new area graphics and want to see if others enjoy it too. Quitting is not an option... to much time has already been spent on this project. It will be finished!

Cuv

#37 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:45 AM

Personally, I so desired to see this thing completed that I decided to enroll ^_^

But I say, let's just focus on the "closer" goals, and then proceed.
Currently I have this 31_full_pages_long dialog to code... :o -_- :unsure:
When I'm done with it, I'll have a party.
Everyone's invited. Gifts are welcomed.

#38 Mr.WeaseL

Mr.WeaseL
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:10 AM

I'm waiting for it because it's a high-level mod, of which there aren't enough, IMO. I don't have nay experience with you all so I can't that I'm waiting on the great story but the excerpts seem pretty good.

#39 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:02 AM

Personally, I so desired to see this thing completed that I decided to enroll ^_^

But I say, let's just focus on the "closer" goals, and then proceed.
Currently I have this 31_full_pages_long dialog to code... :o -_- :unsure:
When I'm done with it, I'll have a party.
Everyone's invited. Gifts are welcomed.

There's a 34 page dialogue waiting in the wings for you, once you're done with the current file.

#40 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 01:01 AM

Argh!
You'd need a horde of littizs there :unsure: -_-

Well, luckily Summer 200X is still comfortably far :D :P