Photo

Comments on "Rush Of Blood To The Head"

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:47 AM

*claps hands* Yes! A new episode of "Rush"! :wub: Thanks, Theo... now I can put away my pointy stick.. ;)

I especially like this one, and a nasty cliffhanger... But then, you're famous for that part of it.. :P

MG

#22 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:17 PM

*claps hands*  Yes!  A new episode of "Rush"!  :wub:    Thanks, Theo...  now I can put away my pointy stick.. ;)

*wince* Yes... yes, please put it away. :) I promise to post a couple of new episodes weekly, from now on. Just... not the pointy stick... again... :o :lol:

I especially like this one, and a nasty cliffhanger...  But then, you're famous for that part of it..  :P   

MG

I am? Am I, really? Are you sure you aren't confusing me with someone? ;) Someone, perchance called... VH? -_- He's the true master of the cliffhangers, after all! :lol:

#23 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:01 PM

:wub: Happy Birthday, Theo! :wub:

And I will render my comment later in the day... :D :D

*giant, giant hugs*

MG

#24 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:11 AM

:wub: Happy Birthday, Theo! :wub:

AWWW! Thanks! You remembered! :) :wub: :)

And I will render my comment later in the day...  :D  :D

Please do, but know that I've already received THE BEST comment possible! :D :D

*giant, giant hugs*

MG

#25 Puffkage

Puffkage
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:57 AM

Wow, and that's a lot of reading, too! Anyways, big thanks for the insightful comment and the commitment! 

Well, I'm a fast reader and your story is fairly light reading, not meant negatively.

Uh, insightful? Me? Thanks! I tried not to be too analytical, as I'm well aware that some writers would rather have a "You rock!!!" review, but I guess I didn't succeed entirely... Since I've spent the last week analysing texts, I now have trouble reading anything without scanning for themes and potential Freudian influence. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, that's a very controversial approach and I knew that I was risking to tick off my fellow Jaheira-fans. And yes, that happened on a few ocassions, too. I can understand the reaction well, myself.  Yes, that's a very controversial approach and I knew that I was risking to tick off my fellow Jaheira-fans. And yes, that happened on a few ocassions, too. I can understand the reaction well, myself. 

I can imagine! I was sceptical at first also? visit the LOTR section of fanfiction.net and look up some Aragorn/Mary Sue :angry: fics, and I promise you?ll understand why! But be warned, it can be a traumatic experience.

Exactly! That's what I always thought... the couples who tend to publically declare their love for each other every five minutes... it seems so false, as if they would try to assure themselves of their feelings. K&J didn't need that... they were so secure with each other, they needed not to fear insulting each other with that teasing. 

Too right! You know, I?ve been toying with the idea of writing a :wub: Jaheira/Khalid story :wub: , I just don?t know if I can even write creatively or if my mediocre English skills will prove sufficient. :unsure:

Urgh, yes. Sorry Aerie fans, but I just can't take that ridiculous character seriously. One day I might write her seriously, but first I would overhaul her personality quite a bit.

Oh yes. I don't really hate Aerie, I just find her annoying and with a very unrealistic view of the world. I can?t say I know from personal experience what it does to you to have been imprisoned and tortured for years, but I?m pretty sure it doesn?t turn you into a sickeningly sweet little PowerPuff Girl. <_<

Yep. You see, on The Attic boards where I started to post this story, at that time there were three on-going novels that featured the traditional PC-Jaheira romance. I like the romance track, but... I thought that I'll have more fun writing and maybe attract more readers, if I was to do things differently. I do not regret that decision, even though I felt like a jerk for being so mean to poor Khalid. 

Three? Ooh, seems I?ll get busy. Now that I think about it I think I?ve been to The Attic a long time ago. It wasn?t message boards though, but some sort of companion site with stories sorted by author. I never found my way to the message boards, since I then knew absolutely nothing about the Internet. I think I?ve read some of those three. I?ve read one named ?Tide of Destiny? posted on fanfiction.net, one named ?Dark Offerings?, and these snippet thingies with an antiheroic mage and his rabbit. From your link I found another one named A Cappella, which I haven?t seen before? I think I?ll read that after I?m done with yours.

Ach, there?s so much to read? and I?ve only just discovered the wonder that is Kurt Vonnegut too? :wub:

Thanks! I rather enjoyed writing those, bittersweet as they were. You're right - I also like the more subtle romance (assuming that it deosn't drag for TOO long and eventually gets somewhere!) and certainly Theo and Jae's amorous exploits have made some of my readers shake head, but I think most of them understand that if they didn't share a huge passion for each other, Jaheira would have never cheated on Khalid (which to me too is almost unthinkable).

Oooh, will there be more? They were really excellent, especially the morning-after one. It was so refreshing that Theo didn?t immediately wallow in endless guilt, but actually was happy (or blissful rather) that his dream had just come through.

That is good, I've never been a fan of fight scenes. Unfortunately I can't quite avoid them for the ToB portion of the tale which I am writing now.

Oh, I?m sure I?ll survive? As long as there?s no graphical depictions of spilling entrails and the like. I don?t know why I?m so squeamish when it comes to writing; I?ve no problems with violence in films, but since I draw a lot I often visualise when reading, and I?ve experienced really ugly images just sticking in my mind.

Heh, no worries - you're not saying something I don't realise myself.  The Imoen-Viconia pairing was basically an experiment to see if I can write femme-femme relationship... and I didn't really impress myself. Viconia will undergo quite a few changes yet (though I am sorry to say that she won't return to the wicked evil wench) before I am through with her. 

I?m sure it?ll be great as long as she doesn?t get fluffified (is that a word?) completely, and it doesn?t seem to me that you?re doing that. ;) I?m looking forward to your plans with her.

A little piece of info for you - if you have the time and inclination, you can check out the very latest episodes of the story by going to the Attic main page (link below) and then in the Serials. It requires a little digging there... currently, latest episode posted there is part 7.68. (A teaser - those episodes also feature Theo's confession to Jaheira about killing Khalid - and what came out of it... )

Oooh, I?ll have to do that. Thank you for the link, it seems an excellent place.

It is never too late for that.  Once again, thank you! It was so nice to hear from you again! 

Oh believe me, the pleasure was all mine! :)

#26 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:24 AM

Well, I'm a fast reader and your story is fairly light reading, not meant negatively.

Uh, insightful? Me? Thanks! I tried not to be too analytical, as I'm well aware that some writers would rather have a "You rock!!!" review, but I guess I didn't succeed entirely... Since I've spent the last week analysing texts, I now have trouble reading anything without scanning for themes and potential Freudian influence. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Oh, I definitely intended the story to be light to read. It?s dialogue-heavy, but that?s where I feel best at.

Reviewing is an interesting topic in itself? I find the occasional ?Great job!? nice as well, of course. And I do not particularly desire for someone opening the story up with a scalpel and showing me all the little stylistic mistakes and typos? for me the most flattering thing is to know that my writings have made the readers think and feel for my characters. That?s why I said that your review was very pleasing to read. :)

Oh, and I think that Freud would have had a field day with my story? I can see plenty of potential Freudian influence there?

I can imagine! I was sceptical at first also? visit the LOTR section of fanfiction.net and look up some Aragorn/Mary Sue :angry: fics, and I promise you?ll understand why! But be warned, it can be a traumatic experience.

LOL! Well, the BG2 section of ff.net is traumatic enough, so I?ll take your word for it. Yeah, I was really scared (and still am!) that Theo might turn into a Mary Sue too? but my readers have been assuring me that he?s still far from perfect. :)

Too right! You know, I?ve been toying with the idea of writing a :wub: Jaheira/Khalid story :wub: , I just don?t know if I can even write creatively or if my mediocre English skills will prove sufficient. :unsure:

Oh, please, please do! Andspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.net I?ll tell you what ? my English was far worse than yours is now (and it is excellent!), when I started writing? trust me, you?re going to improve a lot if you start to write.

Oh yes. I don't really hate Aerie, I just find her annoying and with a very unrealistic view of the world. I can?t say I know from personal experience what it does to you to have been imprisoned and tortured for years, but I?m pretty sure it doesn?t turn you into a sickeningly sweet little PowerPuff Girl. <_<

That is *exactly* my main issue with her? her character just seems phoney. Besides, I couldn?t stand her romance (whiny damsel in distress is not my cup of tea) and how bitchy she was, badmouthing poor Khalid. I really hated her in that moment!

Three? Ooh, seems I?ll get busy. Now that I think about it I think I?ve been to The Attic a long time ago. It wasn?t message boards though, but some sort of companion site with stories sorted by author. I never found my way to the message boards, since I then knew absolutely nothing about the Internet. I think I?ve read some of those three. I?ve read one named ?Tide of Destiny? posted on fanfiction.net, one named ?Dark Offerings?, and these snippet thingies with an antiheroic mage and his rabbit. From your link I found another one named A Cappella, which I haven?t seen before? I think I?ll read that after I?m done with yours.

Those are the three I meant. ;) And Tide and A Cappella are still going strongly. The antiheroic mage was I think Justen? I loved his tales, but the ending he gave to Jaheira was just a little depressing. :( And yes, Attic has changed greatly over the years? I think it?s much more user-friendly now.

Ach, there?s so much to read? and I?ve only just discovered the wonder that is Kurt Vonnegut too? :wub:

:blink:

Well? my personal signature on the Attic is an excerpt from Vonnegut?s ?Mother Night?. He?s one of my favourite writers! :D

Oooh, will there be more? They were really excellent, especially the morning-after one. It was so refreshing that Theo didn?t immediately wallow in endless guilt, but actually was happy (or blissful rather) that his dream had just come through. 

Heh, yes? I?ve been prodded to try and do more BG1 snippets? I?d love to, myself ? but somehow the inspiration just hasn?t been right. I?ll see what I can do. :)

Oh, I?m sure I?ll survive? As long as there?s no graphical depictions of spilling entrails and the like. I don?t know why I?m so squeamish when it comes to writing; I?ve no problems with violence in films, but since I draw a lot I often visualise when reading, and I?ve experienced really ugly images just sticking in my mind.

Well, I have low tolerance for graphical violence, so I wouldn?t add anything particularly bad. Certainly not worse than how in the episode where Imoen had to stake Bodhi to regain her soul? which certainly provoked a feeling of ?Ewwww!? in some of my readers? ;)

I?m sure it?ll be great as long as she doesn?t get fluffified (is that a word?) completely, and it doesn?t seem to me that you?re doing that. ;) I?m looking forward to your plans with her.

That won?t happen, just as Edwin and Sarevok won?t become Smite-Happy paladunces, riding around the countryside on white horses and cleansing the world from Evil. ;)

Cheers!

#27 Puffkage

Puffkage
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:07 AM

Eh, sorry for the wait; exams needed to be passed, but I all done now. I?ll follow up with a review on the additional chapters I?ve read soon.

Oh, I definitely intended the story to be light to read. It?s dialogue-heavy, but that?s where I feel best at.

Reviewing is an interesting topic in itself? I find the occasional ?Great job!? nice as well, of course. And I do not particularly desire for someone opening the story up with a scalpel and showing me all the little stylistic mistakes and typos? for me the most flattering thing is to know that my writings have made the readers think and feel for my characters. That?s why I said that your review was very pleasing to read. :)

Oh, don?t worry, I promise to keep my scalpel sheathed! No seriously, the only times I feel the need to nitpick is when the meaning is somehow unclear or a word doesn?t make sense in the given context. I agree with your assessment of a flattering review by the way, it?s what makes me happiest when my essays are returned in school, and I imagine it must be more so when receiving feedback on creative writing.

Oh, and I think that Freud would have had a field day with my story? I can see plenty of potential Freudian influence there?

Heh, yeah? Freudian influence is in everything or at least that is the impression my teacher gives. ;)

LOL! Well, the BG2 section of ff.net is traumatic enough, so I?ll take your word for it. Yeah, I was really scared (and still am!) that Theo might turn into a Mary Sue too? but my readers have been assuring me that he?s still far from perfect. :)

Nah, while I?m sure that there is some modicum of self-insertion going on with him, as it is probably a necesity for a first person-narrative. But I don't believe that it is a bad thing in this case... the character is believable and *far* from perfect, so I'm happy. ^_^ It is the *idealised* self-insertions I find annoying. The main reason that Theo isn?t a May Sue is, I think, mainly the fact that so much goes wrong for him and that he has a reason for being guilty, which you do not try to justify. I have found that the main indicator to a male May Sue is that they cannot do anything moderately bad without heaps and heaps of excuses and justifications and afterward guilt tripping. You can probably hear that I?ve read a lot of bad fanfiction? Unfortunately, the more popular a fandom (is it called that?) is, the more bad writers it seems to attract. I've learned to stay far, far away from the Harry Potter and LOTR sections of fspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netf.net, allthough I'm sure there's good writing to find.

Oh, please, please do! And I?ll tell you what ? my English was far worse than yours is now (and it is excellent!), when I started writing? trust me, you?re going to improve a lot if you start to write.

Now I?m encouraged! I may actually get the guts to post something! :blink:

That is *exactly* my main issue with her? her character just seems phoney. Besides, I couldn?t stand her romance (whiny damsel in distress is not my cup of tea) and how bitchy she was, badmouthing poor Khalid. I really hated her in that moment!

I haven?t actually played her romance further than that point, so I can?t tell if she improves, but you?re right that was such a nasty thing to say that for the rest of that game (and the next!) all the sweet babble she spouted seemed hypocritical.

Those are the three I meant. ;) And Tide and A Cappella are still going strongly. The antiheroic mage was I think Justen? I loved his tales, but the ending he gave to Jaheira was just a little depressing. :( And yes, Attic has changed greatly over the years? I think it?s much more user-friendly now.

There was a sad ending to Justen?s saga? Are you referring to that dream thing in ?Still in Love?? I had the impression that was only a potential ending, and the author seemed so sentimental (which I loved!) that he couldn?t possibly write a real unhappy ending.

By the way, are you familiar with an author called Flarn? I stumbled across her site when I was 13 and was quite? fascinated. ;) That is her stories have content that is erotic, to say the least, but they are really good and heavy on Khalid/Jaheira content. I really think you would like the way she writes your beloved druidess. :)

:blink:

Well? my personal signature on the Attic is an excerpt from Vonnegut?s ?Mother Night?. He?s one of my favourite writers! :D

Oh, I haven?t gotten very far at all, I?m afraid I?m still unfamiliar with that book. I?m currently reading ?Slaughterhouse Five?. Funny coincidence.

Heh, yes? I?ve been prodded to try and do more BG1 snippets? I?d love to, myself ? but somehow the inspiration just hasn?t been right. I?ll see what I can do. :) 

Please do!

Well, I have low tolerance for graphical violence, so I wouldn?t add anything particularly bad. Certainly not worse than how in the episode where Imoen had to stake Bodhi to regain her soul? which certainly provoked a feeling of ?Ewwww!? in some of my readers? ;)

That wasn?t too bad that (though I certainly thought it was icky)? I?m touchier when violence happens to characters I feel for.

That won?t happen, just as Edwin and Sarevok won?t become Smite-Happy paladunces, riding around the countryside on white horses and cleansing the world from Evil. ;)

Now, that would be a sight? :D

Cheers! :)

Edited by Puffkage, 09 June 2004 - 07:53 AM.

#28 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:21 PM

Eh, sorry for the wait; exams needed to be passed, but I all done now. I?ll follow up with a review on the additional chapters I?ve read soon.

Oh, please don?t apologise. Exams have the annoying trait of being a little more important than reading fan fiction. :)

Oh, don?t worry, I promise to keep my scalpel sheathed! No seriously, the only times I feel the need to nitpick is when the meaning is somehow unclear or a word doesn?t make sense in the given context. I agree with your assessment of a flattering review by the way, it?s what makes me happiest when my essays are returned in school, and I imagine it must be more so when receiving feedback on creative writing.

Yes, it?s exactly like that. The most wonderful compliment for a writer is to receive a confirmation from the reader that the scene or the emotion is being perceived the way that the writer intended it. Doesn?t always work out like that ? of course!

Nah, while I?m sure that there is some modicum of self-insertion going on with him, as it is probably a necesity for a first person-narrative. But I don't believe that it is a bad thing in this case... the character is believable and *far* from perfect, so I'm happy. ^_^  It is the *idealised* self-insertions I find annoying. The main reason that Theo isn?t a May Sue is, I think, mainly the fact that so much goes wrong for him and that he has a reason for being guilty, which you do not try to justify. I have found that the main indicator to a male May Sue is that they cannot do anything moderately bad without heaps and heaps of excuses and justifications and afterward guilt tripping. You can probably hear that I?ve read a lot of bad fanfiction? Unfortunately, the more popular a fandom (is it called that?) is, the more bad writers it seems to attract. I've learned to stay far, far away from the Harry Potter and LOTR sections of ff.net, allthough I'm sure there's good writing to find.

That?s a very profound analysis. Yes, Theo will never look for excuses and justifications for what he?s done? you?ll see more of this in the later chapters, that he?ll be still feeling guilty and also blaming himself for other things that are not really his fault. My problem now is the fact that I want to make him gradually grow into a better person, but still not to become mary-sueishly-good ? this is particularly difficult because the Bhaalspawn almost are Mary Sues by definition (special, chosen, very powerful, etc.). It?s a bit of a challenge. :)

I haven?t actually played her spellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netromance further than that point, so I can?t tell if she improves, but you?re right that was such a nasty thing to say that for the rest of that game (and the next!) all the sweet babble she spouted seemed hypocritical. 

If I don?t play the romance, she?s somewhat tolerable. It?s her romantical plot that I really cannot stand. ;)

There was a sad ending to Justen?s saga? Are you referring to that dream thing in ?Still in Love?? I had the impression that was only a potential ending, and the author seemed so sentimental (which I loved!) that he couldn?t possibly write a real unhappy ending.

It?s been some time since I read it? yes, I think the last story was called ?Still in Love?? it was a little confusing with all sorts of interfering dreams. I think it ended with both Justen and Imoen embracing the Bhaal taint? and if I recall correctly, Jaheira had to kill him in the end. She was left with a daughter already in her twenties. Then again ? maybe that whole thing was just a dream, detailing the possible future that never happened? I can?t remember now? though I remember that I loved his stories overall.

By the way, are you familiar with an author called Flarn? I stumbled across her site when I was 13 and was quite? fascinated. ;) That is her stories have content that is erotic, to say the least, but they are really good and heavy on Khalid/Jaheira content. I really think you would like the way she writes your beloved druidess. :)

Flarn? OUCH? :( Bad memories about her BG2 story and horrible things that happen to Jaheira there? :(

And yes, I?m familiar with her stories and also those on her website (it?s down now, but I still have the stories saved on my hard drive :D)? in a way, she contributed to my perception of Jaheira as very? err, passionate woman. ;) Absolutely adored her K&J stuff ? it?s just a crying shame that she?s been absent from the boards for a year now.

Oh, I haven?t gotten very far at all, I?m afraid I?m still unfamiliar with that book. I?m currently reading ?Slaughterhouse Five?. Funny coincidence.

It?s said to be his best piece. I like it too, but I liked ?Mother Night? and ?The Cat?s Cradle? better. :)

That wasn?t too bad that (though I certainly thought it was icky)? I?m touchier when violence happens to characters I feel for. 

Not going to happen, never. Not in my stories. I?ve been really disturbed once by something like that, and I really try to avoid stuff where the NPC?s are mutilated in any way. Just don?t have the stomach for that kind of thing.

Nice to hear from you again! Cheers! :P

#29 JPS

JPS

Knight of the Living Dead

• 205 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

I've only been reading bits and pieces of the story so far, but Imoen dying her hair sort of got me thinking. If Imoen's and Viconia's relationship continues, I would like you to keep this picture in mind:

Posted Image

Please? :P

(picture courtesy of CamDawg )

Edited by JPS, 09 June 2004 - 02:40 PM.

"They have no thought of safety, subtlety, or strategy, leaving others with no hope of stopping their mass assault."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

#30 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:39 PM

Oh, that is just so delicious! *chuckle* :)

I'm not sure even Imoen could talk Viconia into this, so I guess it's a result of some odd magical experiment gone awry... :lol: Good material for a story!

#31 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:11 PM

Oh, mercy! LOL LOL LOL

Well, Theo, what are you waiting for? I'm sure your wicked mind is already cooking something!

#32 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:23 PM

My mind is really splitting up between various projects and story ideas that are floating in my head. Plus, I have had a terrible allergy for most of this week, so at this moment my creative talents are expressed via loud, uncontrollable sneezing. :)

The only thing I can currently do is to play the good old BG2... doesn't require too much creativity. ;) Though "playing" is a bit of a stretch, as I just spent multiple hours in creating a new char and planning the party... :rolleyes:

#33 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:08 PM

Hi, Theo! :D

An addition to Rush... Ahhhh..... Thank you, my friend.

I especially like your portrayal of the final Bodhi confrontation with the PC. I even felt a little 'queasy' after reading it.. right along with Immy! :D

But Bodhi would seem like child's play compared to a very irate Jaheira and having to deal with THAT ire! ;)

Nice job as always and am anxiously and patiently awaiting further installments... :D (I, er, want to be careful not to put in the MORE PLZ thingy, as I guess it is, er, undignified and, *blush* *blush* *blush* Heck, I guess I have to drop the hugs, too, huh... damn... :( )

MG

#34 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:21 AM

Hi, Theo!  :D

An addition to Rush...  Ahhhh..... Thank you, my friend. 

I especially like your portrayal of the final Bodhi confrontation with the PC.  I even felt a little 'queasy' after reading it..  right along with Immy!  :D

But Bodhi would seem like child's play compared to a very irate Jaheira and having to deal with THAT ire!  ;) 

Yes, it was a bit gross, wasn't it? ;) Ah, but it's not so bad when it happens to the villain we all love to hate, huh? :P

And yes, an irate Jaheira is... is just so dangerous!! Theo will really have to turn that charm in high gear, but that all may not help in the end! :(

Nice job as always and am anxiously and patiently awaiting further installments...  :D  (I, er, want to be careful not to put in the MORE PLZ thingy, as I guess it is, er, undignified and,  *blush* *blush* *blush*  Heck, I guess I have to drop the hugs, too, huh... damn... :( )

MG

:( No hugs... awww... oh well, guess I'll manage... ;)

More will be added... sometime soon. We're falling behind here, compared to the, err, other site, heh. Got to update sooner, I guess. :)

#35 Puffkage

Puffkage
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 04:26 AM

Eh, between going canoeing, going at get-shitfaced-drunk-party, exploring the newfound Attic, my brother getting tired of his x-box and demanding his time at the computer, rediscovering ?Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past? (Best game EVER!!! Except for Baldur?s Gate that is), my parents figuring out that now I?m free of school and they?re still working, I can take over the cooking, shopping and gardening duties, finding a summer-job, discussing FR afterlife and generally being busier than I ever was during term? *takes deep breath* I finally caught up with your story? even the stuff posted on the Attic.

And I must say: GREAT JOB!!! ;);)

I?m really sorry that I can?t comment in-depth on the loooong and wonderful chapter 7, it?s very tempting, but I won?t spoil anything, no sir.

I?ll just say that I really enjoyed the detour and am looking forward to your plans for Thone of Bhaal. It was nice not to know what was going to happen (even though you did an excellent job with the twists in the game story too), and I liked the details about the new places they went.

?The talk? was excellently handled! You provided atmosphere, tension and despair, and yet slight hope. The aftermath of it was also great, I really like how you show evolution in small steps.

I liked chapter 7.33 too;) Very fitting and un-clichéd.

As to 7.34 ? woah, I didn?t expect that, but I liked it! I almost rooted for them to continue this way, though it wasn?t set up to be that way. I like how none of your characters are saints?

The few ?peaceful? chapters were very cute! I totally understand Jaheira?s ire at being forced away from that. I?m sure the fact that you?ve actually *shown* and not only told what they are fighting for will make me feel for your characters much more during the travails of ToB.

As you can see, it is brief and there were parts I didn?t comment on, because I didn?t feel it could be done without spoiling, but there was nothing that upset in a negative way (or I would have told you, believe me? hehe). I also think that you have really improved aspect of your writing, especially descriptions.

On a different note: where did you get that geographical and cultural information about different parts of Faerūn? It was an interesting addition to the story.

Ooh, this is a really disjointed post, because I spent most of my time figuring out how to comment without giving away anything, I?m sorry about that. If you feel that I *did* give away something, just tell me and I?ll edit immediately. Cheers for now looking forward to see what you?ll be cooking up.

#36 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:10 AM

Hi, Theo! :D

I want to thank you for not making us all wait.. ^_^ There are many here reading your saga and they, er, get 'restless' when it is too long between 'fixes'. ;)

Ah, yes. I must tell you I enjoy the precision with which you paint Keldorn. Our wonderful saged Knight is still true to form in his retirement and you have captured him very, very well. It is only fitting that his conscience would not allow him to sit quietly by without voicing his concerns to Theo. Well done.. well done..

As for the barkeep/innkeeper upping the bill.. LOL LOL I am surprised he would even try considering what he witnessed Jaheira capable of only the day before. Gave me a good laugh!

And Vicy upset at the close of the episode? My, oh, my.. Hmmm... whatever could have caused our tempermental drow to lose her cool?? ;)

A great read, Theo, as always. You never disappoint us!

*giant hugs* (yes, they're back, you 'ol' grouch'.. You know I can't resist... ;) )

MG

#37 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:13 AM

Eh, between going canoeing, going at get-shitfaced-drunk-party, exploring the newfound Attic, my brother getting tired of his x-box and demanding his time at the computer, rediscovering ?Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past? (Best game EVER!!! Except for Baldur?s Gate that is), my parents figuring out that now I?m free of school and they?re still working, I can take over the cooking, shopping and gardening duties, finding a summer-job, discussing FR afterlife and generally being busier than I ever was during term? *takes deep breath* I finally caught up with your story? even the stuff posted on the Attic.

Wow? someone?s life certainly is busy! :)

And I must say: GREAT JOB!!! ;);)

Aww, thank you!! :D

I?m really sorry that I can?t comment in-depth on the loooong and wonderful chapter 7, it?s very tempting, but I won?t spoil anything, no sir.

I?ll just say that I really enjoyed the detour and am looking forward to your plans for Thone of Bhaal. It was nice not to know what was going to happen (even though you did an excellent job with the twists in the game story too), and I liked the details about the new places they went.

Thanks, again! I like doing research about the Forgotten Realms setting ? there are so many interesting things that one can use in his stories to make them more original. That, and the twists on game story will continue in ToB ? that I promise. :)

?The talk? was excellently handled! You provided atmosphere, tension and despair, and yet slight hope. The aftermath of it was also great, I really like how you show evolution in small steps.

Thanks! Yes ? so much of the story really depended on that one chapter. It was very gratifying to receive a flattering feedback on that one, I knew I had to do well with it? and I guess I did. :)

I liked chapter 7.33 too;) Very fitting and un-clichéd.

Ah, that one. Yes, I was almost threatened to show more of her finding the new faith? heh, perhaps I should have ? well, we will get to see more of her soon, anyways. :D

As to 7.34 ? woah, I didn?t expect that, but I liked it! I almost rooted for them to continue this way, though it wasn?t set up to be that way. I like how none of your characters are saints?

LOL! Yes, it was not meant to continue, as I have other plans for them? and no, the fact that I was almost mobbed by angry Imoen fans for this (:lol:) did not contribute to my decision.

The few ?peaceful? chapters were very cute! I totally understand Jaheira?s ire at being forced away from that. I?m sure the fact that you?ve actually *shown* and not only told what they are fighting for will make me feel for your characters much more during the travails of ToB.

Good to know! That was my aim, yes ? but it will also give them even more motivation to fight and preserve what little they have gained.

As you can see, it is brief and there were parts I didn?t comment on, because I didn?t feel it could be done without spoiling, but there was nothing that upset in a negative way (or I would have told you, believe me? hehe). I also think that you have really improved aspect of your writing, especially descriptions.

Really? Oh, that?s great to know! Yes, I try to focus a lot on what I know are my weak points, descriptions being one of those. I?m glad to know that it seems to be working!

On a different note: where did you get that geographical and cultural information about different parts of Faerūn? It was an interesting addition to the story.

There are various Forgotten Realms sourcebooks, intended as supplements for the PnP game ? some of them can be download in PDF format from the Wizards of The Coast homepage.

http://www.wizards.c...x=dnd/downloads

I recommend the Lands Of Intrigue for everyone whose stories take place in Amn or Tethyr ? both these countries are detailed excellently and I got many good ideas for Rush, from this sourcebook.

Of course, if you have any file exchange program like KaZaA for example, you can get some of these FR sourcebooks in a, err, less legal way? after all, WoTC do not offer ALL of them as a free download.

Unfortunately, I have not come across a very good sourcebook about the Sword Coast. The one about Calimshan is called The Empires of the Shining Sea ? unfortunately, the copy I have is barely readable? I?m trying to hunt for a new one.

Of course, if you have money to spend, you can also buy what D&D books you want ? probably from amazon.com. They will come handy if you plan on eventually playing some PnP. That is, if you don't play already. :)

Ooh, this is a really disjointed post, because I spent most of my time figuring out how to comment without giving away anything, I?m sorry about that. If you feel that I *did* give away something, just tell me and I?ll edit immediately. Cheers for now looking forward to see what you?ll be cooking up.

Hey, no worries! :) Was glad to hear from you again and I hope your holidays are going well!

#38 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 12:02 PM

Hi, Theo!  :D

I want to thank you for not making us all wait..  ^_^  There are many here reading your saga and they, er, get 'restless' when it is too long between 'fixes'.  ;)

Hi, MG! :)

I will try to be quick with my updates from now on... promise! :)

Ah, yes.  I must tell you I enjoy the precision with which you paint Keldorn.  Our wonderful saged Knight is still true to form in his retirement and you have captured him very, very well.  It is only fitting that his conscience would not allow him to sit quietly by without voicing his concerns to Theo.  Well done..  well done..

:D Thanks! Hoo boy, the group will surely miss his wisdom during ToB... -_-

As for the barkeep/innkeeper upping the bill..  LOL LOL  I am surprised he would even try considering what he witnessed Jaheira capable of only the day before.  Gave me a good laugh!

Well, you know the Amnish... they love money more than they value their lives... :rolleyes:

And Vicy upset at the close of the episode?  My, oh, my..  Hmmm... whatever could have caused our tempermental drow to lose her cool??  ;)

Guess you'll find out soon!

Theo: Whatever it was, damn that drow for walking in when things were about to get really interesting! Bah!

A great read, Theo, as always.  You never disappoint us!

*giant hugs*  (yes, they're back, you 'ol' grouch'..  You know I can't resist...  ;) )

MG

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanky you kindly, MG! :)

#39 Puffkage

Puffkage
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:17 AM

Wowsa, that was a very good link! Thank you! Now if I only had the time to read it all...

Aw that was a cute couple of chapters; I always liked Suldanessellar in the game.

And I liked how you wrote Jaheira; she is of course different from the game-Jaheira, but I get this feeling of subconscious quiet unhappiness that is completely in tone with game-Jah. I adore how that feeling diminishes over time in the later chapters.

As to the newer chapters ? I loved, loved, loved Eddie?s exploration of Faerūn!

I have to leave for work, so short comment? Cheers!

#40 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:36 AM

Wowsa, that was a very good link! Thank you! Now if I only had the time to read it all...

I don't think I will ever have the time to read it all. Fortunately, you don't have to read everything to get a good grasp on the world of Faerun. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or the Players Handbook are usually two best sources to get the basics.

Aw that was a cute couple of chapters; I always liked Suldanessellar in the game.

And I liked how you wrote Jaheira; she is of course different from the game-Jaheira, but I get this feeling of subconscious quiet unhappiness that is completely in tone with game-Jah. I adore how that feeling diminishes over time in the later chapters.

Yeah, the elven city was a nice part... then again, the only SoA part I didn't like much was the Underdark. Good point about Jaheira too... there's always these thoughts of undeserved happiness in her mind, but they will slowly fade away. I really enjoyed making her happy, after all I did to her during this story! :)

As to the newer chapters ? I loved, loved, loved Eddie?s exploration of Faerūn!

I have to leave for work, so short comment? Cheers!

:D Hehe... Edwin has a good imagination, doesn't he... ;)

Thanks for the comment! :)