Comments on "Back To His Senses"

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:24 AM

The waters were quiet but their sedated movements still caused the ships that were tied to the docks to lazily follow their rhythm. The occasional ring of the ships? bells sounded through the open window and reminded Valygar of his childhood. Since there were only a few ships docked in the Bridge district, their ringing was not as pervasive as it used to be down at the main docks. The smell of decaying seaweed and rotting goods that spilled while crates were loaded and unloaded was not as omnipresent either. It was quiet compared to the ever-busy Docks with their accumulation of ships and sailors from all four corners of the world.

Love the port's description - always creates such a nice adventuring atmosphere!

not sure "sedated movements" is a good choice of wording, since it sort of implies that someone (wizard or a sailor) calmed them by a spell or layer of fat...

He thought about going downstairs to again join Jaheira and Nalia but they would realize his nervous condition. Valygar found himself at the door ready to open it. He dropped his hands again and after banging his head slightly against the doorframe he returned to his observing position at the window. At least he could see the water from here.

would notice instead of would realize perhaps?

?...then you add peeled potatoes and let it simmer for at least an hour. You don?t have to peel the potatoes, if they are new but thoroughly brush them instead. It tastes even better with new ones, at least that?s my opinion.? Jaheira ended her instructions that Nalia wrote down eagerly.

O, that is a great counter-argument to all of us who belive that Jaheira cannot boil a egg :)

Nalia sighed and shook her head in regret. ?No. It?s her firm belief that everyone who doesn?t have enough to eat is simply too lazy to work.? Nalia?s forehead wrinkled in distress. On their return to Athkatla they had run into Lady Delcia. The Lady De?Arnise had more or less ignored the others and flooded Nalia with a tirade of all the troubles she had to endure, now that Nalia had chosen to abandon her. She lived with a friend, but Lady Delcia had made her implications that she expected Nalia to take care of her quite clear. Nalia had not been less clear that she intended to stay with Rhuan. That Nalia had been brainwashed was one of the weaker accusations Rhuan had do face before Lady Delcia stalked off to her doomed existence promising Nalia that her ungrateful niece had just contributed to her, the Lady De?Arnise?s early grave. Jaheira had praised Silvanus that Rhuan was not easily offended. On the contrary, Lady Delcia?s entrance and exit had amused Rhuan. Only Nalia?s worried expression had prevented a laughing fit.

Nalia had not been less clear... might be a bit easier to have it as "Nalia was just as clear that" Uhm... nobody in the group was nasty enough to propose to Lady Delcia to marry some rich merchant who'd crave her title?

Jaheira watched the change of expressions in the young mage?s face. She understood how hard it must still weigh on Nalia to have lost everything in only a short time. Her father, her home, and her freedom. Nalia had greatly profited from the time on the road, but Lady Delcia knew Nalia and how to rake guilt within her. She had planted its poisonous seed that now stirred in the young woman?s heart and mind.

It is one of the underexploited motives in the game, imo, that Nalia loses her home... I wish there were more about it.

In fact, that one prayer to Helm Sir Anomen Delryn had wanted to do at the Temple had not taken that long. It was a task for the church that had kept him and Rhuan occupied for the last hours and that led them all over town. The first dizzying enthusiastic rspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netush he had experienced after he was dubbed a knight had slowly changed into deep contentment and happiness while they walked from one corner of the city to the other.

You migh want to leave "Sir Anomen Delryn had wanted to do" out, since it had been well-defined previously what prayer we are talking about and it might sound nicer.

Rhuan had sensed his hesitation and looked at him questioningly. In that moment he had realized that his father?s approval and appreciation still had importance, but that Rhuan?s beaming joy after the ceremony or his companions congratulations meant by far more to him. With time, he was certain he would overcome his senseless and pointless wish to gain his father?s approval or appreciation.

Rhuan had not even asked just smiled and taken his arm and gently dragged him past the Delryn Estate to the impressive mansion of the Jysstev?s.

That would have been interesting to see :) Anomen would have profited from yet another demonstration of another fit of his father's spite and it would have been an emotional scene.

All the way to Waukeen?s Promenade they had barely spoken. Anomen had been too consumed to see the world with new eyes.

I think - and I am not sure - that the later phrase actually denies that he see the world with the new eyes, while from the context I think that he was consumed by experiencing the world as a paladin.

He had revelled in the memory of his prayer to Helm. He could not remember to ever have felt the Watcher closer or more intense. Not even when he was first initiated as Helm?s Cleric. While he had spoken to his god he had also prayed for his mother and sister and for an instance he had felt the certainty that they knew. That they were well and approved. Rhuan had listened with sparkling eyes. She had grabbed his hand and squeezed it. She knew how he felt. She hardly cried for Gorion anymore but she still missed him. And every now and then she felt his presence as if he wanted to let her know that he would always watch over her. They had finished their meal in silence, both lost in thoughts about people they loved and lost.

Good description of a religious communion. :)

Anomen held the door to the Copper Coronet open for Rhuan and turned back to take one more look around to the crowded room before he followed her outside. It was still an establishment of questionable reputation but it had begun to change since Hendak had taken over. Drunkards and troublemakers were usually complimented outside and ruffians had learned that brawls were no longer tolerated. The change had begun and was noticeable long before Anomen had passed his test but today he saw it clearly.

I am not sure what you meant with "complimented outside"?

Anomen?s appearance hardly ever left anything to criticize but today it was spotless. The days before his test Anomen had kept himself occupied to bring his armour, weapons and himself to the shine. The hammer of Thunderbolts looked like newly forged, his hair and beard were neatly trimmed, and his boots were shining. The Delryn family shield that he had strapped to his back had never looked better. But most impressive was the new plate mail forged from Firkraag?s scales. Together with the Dragon Helm he had tucked under his arm, he looked cunning and handsome.

I can imagine that :)

She never found any resemblances to the great heroines Gorion had told her about. Those were always stunningly beautiful beings, elflike, with silken hair and porcelain skins, whereas she was just a pale young human female with unusual dark eyes and greyish hair.

Oh, so Gorion filled her head with that sort of tails? Lol, I would have thought him *more* sensible!

Rhuan laughed. ?To be honest, I?m not sure if I would try to secure the real ore without you. But aside the fact that I wouldn?t want to test the patience of Helm, I don?t think it would be the proper thing to do on your first day as knight, would it??

Nope, cheating is not the right thing to do :)

Rhuan?s blood rushed as she felt his fingertips caressing her ear, his beard slightly scraping her skin and her lips coming to a new life. She felt the sun on her head and the wind brushing over their faces like a veil of thin silken fabric. Emotions she had only had an idea about overwhelmed her and rendered her unstable and weak-kneed. She grabbed hold at the unbelievably hard and smoothly polished scales that covered Anomen?s chest.

Who would have thought :)

?Oh, I do! Now.? Nalia nodded. ?He seemed to be a nice man a few years ago.? The redness in her cheeks intensified. ?There used to be a time when the prospect of becoming Lady Roenall wasn?t that dreadful.? She tried to sound casual. ?I was young and naïve back then.?

Yak!

Enough, Valygar decided. Even Jaheira could not remain calm considering that they still had not returned. Firmly he stood up and left his room. In passing the staircase window he cast a bored look outside. He almost stumbled as his feet wanted go to on but his eyes had locked on a most disturbing sight.

Valygar grabbed hold onto the window?s frame and glared down as if incessant staring alone would make them stop.

Jee, Anomen sure found the best spot to kiss the girl. Next time he should try Walkeen's Promenade, so that people who could not afford going to circus would enjoy the show and the town cryers be on hand as well. :)

Anomen?s mouth gaped open just a little as her words seeped into his mind. True, her response had been shy and uncertain. But, it was not as if he had kissed that often, just once -- or one woman to be precise. And, he had never thought that Rhuan had never kissed before. He gently squeezed her hands. Her first kiss! A broad smile illuminated his face. He had kissed her for the time. His life was perfect.

I think you meant "He had kissed her for the first time."

Valygar twitched involuntarily. He had not heard her coming. His first instinct was to flee back into his room. He was in no mood for a discussion about whatever with whomever.

Well, Valygar is not that dainty :)

Mazzy?s eyes wandered between Valygar?s stoic stare at Rhuan and Anomen as the couple still stood opposite each other in straight view. There was no opportunity to hear what they spoke as the window was closed and they were too far away anyway.

Not to mention that it would have been totally ignoble :) :)

?... see to the Sphere for ourselves.? Valygar?s attention was captured by that watchword. He tore his eyes from the scene outside and looked at Mazzy. Seeing his questioning expression she sighed and started her proposal anew.

Valygar felt a tiny amount of guilt because of Mazzy. She still irritated him with her persistence, but she was a fine person and did not deserve his bad mood. He granted her his full concentration. She knew other reliable adventurers. Valygar and she could meet with them and take care of Valygar?s ancestor.

Valygar?s stare returned to Rhuan and Anomen. ?I am tempted to accept your offer, Mazzy,? he finally mumbled. ?I will talk to Rhuan.?

Ah, Mazzy is wiser than z man, but that's no surprise. :)

Anomen had irritated and angered everyone, including herself, several times since he had joined her little group of adventurers. Rhuan understood that everyone?s patience had been severely tested but she failed to see why Valygar would loose his patience on this special day of all days.

I'd go with "loose his cool" since you have already used patience in a previous sentence.

Rhuan felt physically slapped by Valygar?s amusement. She knew that Anomen liked her, but until he kissed her she had not even thought that there might be more to his attention than gratitude and friendship. Valygar?s laugh had cut like a knife into her confused heart and caused a pain she had never felt before and she had no name for yet. Unknowingly and inadvertently Valygar had shoved her female pride from childhood to adulthood.

Well, Valygar does behave irrationally :)

?And what exactly do you find...? Rhuan paused for effect, ?hilarious?? She stepped closer to the table and stared at Valygar with squinted eyes and tightly pursed lips. ?Is it hilarious that a man might take an interest in a plain country girl like myself -- or that Anomen has taken interest in me??

That's definetly not it :)

Finally she dropped her hands. ?We will celebrate Anomen tonight. You may come or stay here and mope! I couldn?t care less!? She turned and stomped to the door. ?Oh,? she hardly looked back over her shoulder, ?I?m sure it will be a long night. Don?t bother to join me tomorrow morning. I will certainly sleep in.?

Valygar twitched when the door slam shut.

With a stifled groan he pushed the massive table away from him. It skidded at the wall leaving a visible edge at the paintwork as a sign of his frustration.

He rubbed his forehead with his fingers. ?Getting better with every year, Corthala.? He certified himself. It was over before it had even begun. The relief. Where was the relief?

Ah, but th erelief is not found as easy as that. Have to go much farther, Valygar :)

She concentrated and fought back tears and anger, but pain and desperation anchored in her heart. It had been such a wonderful day. She breathed deeply and slowly regained composure again. Valygar had ruined her day, but she would not allow that he would destroy Anomen?s day as well. Slowly she walked down the stairs mustering a smile. She would try to make up for Valygar?s absence and be especially nice to Anomen. He deserved it. It was the day of his life.

probably just "allow him to destroy Valygar's day as well" Uhm... will Anomen truly care that much that Valygar does not give a damn about his knighthood?

Nice chapter and great use of the modder's absolutely favorite conflict :)

#22 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:11 PM

Hmm... the quoting doesn't seem to work like I want. :unsure:
So I'll colour my answers blue.

EDIT: And I had to disable the emoticons. And the browser almost swallowed my answer. What a Sunday morning! LOL

The waters were quiet but their sedated movements still caused the ships that were tied to the docks to lazily follow their rhythm.

Love the port's description - always creates such a nice adventuring atmosphere!

not sure "sedated movements" is a good choice of wording, since it sort of implies that someone (wizard or a sailor) calmed them by a spell or layer of fat...

I had these lazy sunny afternoons at the Mediterranean in mind. When you sit around, too lazy to blink and just wait that the time passes. You hardly notice the tides and the waters are quiet. But it?s more than just ?quiet waters?... It does appear as if everything and everyone was indeed under a spell.

He thought about going downstairs to again join Jaheira and Nalia but they would realize his nervous condition. Valygar found himself at the door ready to open it. He dropped his hands again and after banging his head slightly against the doorframe he returned to his observing position at the window. At least he could see the water from here.

would notice instead of would realize perhaps?

Notice wouldn?t threaten him. The thought that they could actually see more, even the reason behind his nervousness, holds him back. That they could ?realize? makes him shudder (metaphorically speaking) :D

?...then you add peeled potatoes and let it simmer for at least an hour. You don?t have to peel the potatoes, if they are new but thoroughly brush them instead. It tastes even better with new ones, at least that?s my opinion.? Jaheira ended her instructions that Nalia wrote down eagerly.

O, that is a great counter-argument to all of us who belive that Jaheira cannot boil a egg :)

LOL Where did that come from?

I guess a druid would at least know how to cook some very delicious root stews ;) With all the herbs she knows? they have to be tasty.

She lived with a friend, but Lady Delcia had made her implications that she expected Nalia to take care of her quite clear. Nalia had not been less clear that she intended to stay with Rhuan. That Nalia had been brainwashed was one of the weaker accusations Rhuan had do face before Lady Delcia stalked off to her doomed existence promising Nalia that her ungrateful niece had just contributed to her, the Lady De?Arnise?s early grave.

Nalia had not been less clear... might be a bit easier to have it as "Nalia was just as clear that" Uhm... nobody in the group was nasty enough to propose to Lady Delcia to marry some rich merchant who'd crave her title?

?Positive phrasing? isn?t it? I used the negative for effect. ?Just as clear? would make Nalia and her aunt ?equals? and Nalia wouldn?t be the victim in the old guild game.

And yes... That would have made a funny scene. I suppose nobody would be good enough in Delcia?s eyes anyway. Hm? maybe I could match her with Isaea? :lol:

Jaheira watched the change of expressions in the young mage?s face. She understood how hard it must still weigh on Nalia to have lost everything in only a short time. Her father, her home, and her freedom. Nalia had greatly profited from the time on the road, but Lady Delcia knew Nalia and how to rake guilt within her. She had planted its poisonous seed that now stirred in the young woman?s heart and mind.

It is one of the underexploited motives in the game, imo, that Nalia loses her home... I wish there were more about it.

Yes, it?s not very satisfying when you don?t play a fighter. True, the epilogue tells that Nalia recaptures her keep in the end, but some hints at it during the game would have been nice.

In fact, that one prayer to Helm Sir Anomen Delryn had wanted to do at the Temple had not taken that long.

You migh want to leave "Sir Anomen Delryn had wanted to do" out, since it had been well-defined previously what prayer we are talking about and it might sound nicer.

True, but I wanted to put his full name and title into the episode at least once, and this is the perfect poin.

Rhuan had sensed his hesitation and looked at him questioningly. In that moment he had realized that his father?s approval and appreciation still had importance, but that Rhuan?s beaming joy after the ceremony or his companions congratulations meant by far more to him. With time, he was certain he would overcome his senseless and pointless wish to gain his father?s approval or appreciation.

That would have been interesting to see :) Anomen would have profited from yet another demonstration of another fit of his father's spite and it would have been an emotional scene.

Oh, no doubt! I had it sketched out in my mind. I finally decided not to do it because one of the messages I wanted to carry was Anomen?s changed perspective due to his higher wisdom. And to show him beginning to realize that in the end his father isn?t worth the pain and anguish to face him was too good to be missed.

All the way to Waukeen?s Promenade they had barely spoken. Anomen had been too consumed to see the world with new eyes.

I think - and I am not sure - that the later phrase actually denies that he see the world with the new eyes, while from the context I think that he was consumed by experiencing the world as a paladin.

My intention is to show Anomen who is experiencing his new perspective. Hm? will change that bit in a bit?

He had revelled in the memory of his prayer to Helm. He could not remember to ever have felt the Watcher closer or more intense. Not even when he was first initiated as Helm?s Cleric. While he had spoken to his god he had also prayed for his mother and sister and for an instance he had felt the certainty that they knew. That they were well and approved. Rhuan had listened with sparkling eyes. She had grabbed his hand and squeezed it. She knew how he felt. She hardly cried for Gorion anymore but she still missed him. And every now and then she felt his presence as if he wanted to let her know that he would always watch over her. They had finished their meal in silence, both lost in thoughts about people they loved and lost.

Good description of a religious communion. :)

It was still an establishment of questionable reputation but it had begun to change since Hendak had taken over. Drunkards and troublemakers were usually complimented outside and ruffians had learned that brawls were no longer tolerated. The change had begun and was noticeable long before Anomen had passed his test but today he saw it clearly.

I am not sure what you meant with "complimented outside"?

Since Hendak tries to change the Coronet into somewhat more acceptable a simple bouncer, who would grab the quarrel and toss them outside, is replaced by a more, well, polite one, who friendly asks the persons in question to leave. Should they not comply? well, Hendak knows it will be a loooong way ;)

Anomen?s appearance hardly ever left anything to criticize but today it was spotless. The days before his test Anomen had kept himself occupied to bring his armour, weapons and himself to the shine. The hammer of Thunderbolts looked like newly forged, his hair and beard were neatly trimmed, and his boots were shining. The Delryn family shield that he had strapped to his back had never looked better. But most impressive was the new plate mail forged from Firkraag?s scales. Together with the Dragon Helm he had tucked under his arm, he looked cunning and handsome.

I can imagine that :)

He is impressive ;)

She never found any resemblances to the great heroines Gorion had told her about. Those were always stunningly beautiful beings, elflike, with silken hair and porcelain skins, whereas she was just a pale young human female with unusual dark eyes and greyish hair.

Oh, so Gorion filled her head with that sort of tails? Lol, I would have thought him *more* sensible!

Honestly, I think he was. I guess it?s what Rhuan recalls, now, that the question of being attractive suddenly becomes acute. :lol:

Rhuan laughed. ?To be honest, I?m not sure if I would try to secure the real ore without you. But aside the fact that I wouldn?t want to test the patience of Helm, I don?t think it would be the proper thing to do on your first day as knight, would it??

Nope, cheating is not the right thing to do :)

Now I come to think of it. I never cheated at that point of the game. Each of my PCs acquired the real ore. So don?t really know what happens. I suppose the artist would know it?s a fake.

Rhuan?s blood rushed as she felt his fingertips caressing her ear, his beard slightly scraping her skin and her lips coming to a new life. She felt the sun on her head and the wind brushing over their faces like a veil of thin silken fabric. Emotions she had only had an idea about overwhelmed her and rendered her unstable and weak-kneed. She grabbed hold at the unbelievably hard and smoothly polished scales that covered Anomen?s chest.

Who would have thought :)

Ta-daa! A complete surprise! I bet no one expected that! ;)

?Oh, I do! Now.? Nalia nodded. ?He seemed to be a nice man a few years ago.? The redness in her cheeks intensified. ?There used to be a time when the prospect of becoming Lady Roenall wasn?t that dreadful.? She tried to sound casual. ?I was young and naïve back then.?

Yak!

LOL LOL LOL I second and third that!

I pictured a very young Nalia, maybe sweet 16, the heir of the Roenall fortune, arrogant but dashing; the marriage is arranged and Nalia grows up with that knowledge. A summer party, delicate food, music and dance, a mellow night? you get the picture :D

Valygar grabbed hold onto the window?s frame and glared down as if incessant staring alone would make them stop.

Jee, Anomen sure found the best spot to kiss the girl. Next time he should try Walkeen's Promenade, so that people who could not afford going to circus would enjoy the show and the town cryers be on hand as well. :)

LOL Anomen knew he couldn?t do it once they were back in the Inn. So he grasped the last opportunity. It?s really not his fault that Valygar decided to leave his room AND look out of a staircase window. ;)

Anomen?s mouth gaped open just a little as her words seeped into his mind. True, her response had been shy and uncertain. But, it was not as if he had kissed that often, just once -- or one woman to be precise. And, he had never thought that Rhuan had never kissed before. He gently squeezed her hands. Her first kiss! A broad smile illuminated his face. He had kissed her for the time. His life was perfect.

I think you meant "He had kissed her for the first time."

oops. yes. Thank you.

Valygar twitched involuntarily. He had not heard her coming. His first instinct was to flee back into his room. He was in no mood for a discussion about whatever with whomever.

Well, Valygar is not that dainty :)

LOL? Usually not, no. But you know how it is with those first instinct reactions. No human is free of them. Especially not in a situation that just rattled his guards.

Mazzy?s eyes wandered between Valygar?s stoic stare at Rhuan and Anomen as the couple still stood opposite each other in straight view. There was no opportunity to hear what they spoke as the window was closed and they were too far away anyway.

Not to mention that it would have been totally ignoble :) :)

Mazzy surely would not do that, but Valygar likes to point out that he doesn?t care much for nobility, so... who knows? ;)

?Valygar?s stare returned to Rhuan and Anomen. ?I am tempted to accept your offer, Mazzy,? he finally mumbled. ?I will talk to Rhuan.?

Ah, Mazzy is wiser than z man, but that's no surprise. :)

The halfling lass has WIS score 13.

Anomen had irritated and angered everyone, including herself, several times since he had joined her little group of adventurers. Rhuan understood that everyone?s patience had been severely tested but she failed to see why Valygar would loose his patience on this special day of all days.

I'd go with "loose his cool" since you have already used patience in a previous sentence.

Rhuan?s perception of Valygar?s patience is one of the things that makes his charm for her, so patience with Valygar. I tried the sentence with tolerance for the others... it's not the same. I will stay with patience for both (group and Valygar) even if it may sound repetitive.

Rhuan felt physically slapped by Valygar?s amusement. She knew that Anomen liked her, but until he kissed her she had not even thought that there might be more to his attention than gratitude and friendship. Valygar?s laugh had cut like a knife into her confused heart and caused a pain she had never felt before and she had no name for yet. Unknowingly and inadvertently Valygar had shoved her female pride from childhood to adulthood.

Well, Valygar does behave irrationally :)

Ah? if jealousy was rational?the crime rate would instantly drop and libraries would never have to complain about storing problems again. LOL

?And what exactly do you find...? Rhuan paused for effect, ?hilarious?? She stepped closer to the table and stared at Valygar with squinted eyes and tightly pursed lips. ?Is it hilarious that a man might take an interest in a plain country girl like myself -- or that Anomen has taken interest in me??

That's definetly not it :)

No, definitely not.

He rubbed his forehead with his fingers. ?Getting better with every year, Corthala.? He certified himself. It was over before it had even begun. The relief. Where was the relief?

Ah, but th erelief is not found as easy as that. Have to go much farther, Valygar :)

Who would have thought that a ?plain country girl? could have such an impact? ;)

She concentrated and fought back tears and anger, but pain and desperation anchored in her heart. It had been such a wonderful day. She breathed deeply and slowly regained composure again. Valygar had ruined her day, but she would not allow that he would destroy Anomen?s day as well. Slowly she walked down the stairs mustering a smile. She would try to make up for Valygar?s absence and be especially nice to Anomen. He deserved it. It was the day of his life.

probably just "allow him to destroy Valygar's day as well" Uhm... will Anomen truly care that much that Valygar does not give a damn about his knighthood?

No, Anomen wouldn?t care that much, but Rhuan does. In her pov Valygar?s impact extends to the others as well.

Nice chapter and great use of the modder's absolutely favorite conflict :)

Conflict is fun. Well? from a writer?s point of view. ;)

Thank you Domi, for reading and reviewing. :D

Edited by Beyshaliban, 12 June 2004 - 11:13 PM.

#23 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:57 AM

Yes, the poem is in Finnish though it's a translation from Swedish original.

Finnish looks so interesting! I wish I had time to learn it.

I often dump Nalia for Imoen too, though nowadays I usually drop her off in Ahlkatla before leaving for Spellhold. I felt too guilty of abandoning her in the maze. :( Perhaps I should give the lass a chance someday and keep her along all the way to the end.

Yes! Me too. I usually take Yoshimo as the sixth NPC before sailing off. He can rot in spellhold. Well, actually at least return his heart in the end. ;)

#24 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

Notice wouldn?t threaten him. The thought that they could actually see more, even the reason behind his nervousness, holds him back. That they could ?realize? makes him shudder (metaphorically speaking) :D

" realize his nervious condition" sounds very odd to me - it is one of these cases when a native anglophone's opinion is called for. I think that "realize the truth about his nervouse condition" or "realize what caused his..." is the turn of a phrase that you might be looking for - but I am not sure.

Since Hendak tries to change the Coronet into somewhat more acceptable a simple bouncer, who would grab the quarrel and toss them outside, is replaced by a more, well, polite one, who friendly asks the persons in question to leave. Should they not comply? well, Hendak knows it will be a loooong way ;)

Drunkards and troublemakers were usually complimented outside and ruffians had learned that brawls were no longer tolerated.

So you mean that Hendack put someone outside to say nice things to known drunkards/troublemakers to make them feel better before they enter the tavern? If so, you may want to expand on this, because it is an unusual method and it is very interesting to see how it affects Slums. If you mean that they are lead outside quetly, "compliment" is probably not the verb of choice, because it means to pay a compliment.

#25 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:03 AM

Notice wouldn?t threaten him.  The thought that they could actually see more, even the reason behind his nervousness, holds him back.  That they could ?realize? makes him shudder (metaphorically speaking) :D

" realize his nervious condition" sounds very odd to me - it is one of these cases when a native anglophone's opinion is called for. I think that "realize the truth about his nervouse condition" or "realize what caused his..." is the turn of a phrase that you might be looking for - but I am not sure.

Hm... see you point... *already thinking* :)

Drunkards and troublemakers were usually complimented outside and ruffians had learned that brawls were no longer tolerated.

So you mean that Hendack put someone outside to say nice things to known drunkards/troublemakers to make them feel better before they enter the tavern? If so, you may want to expand on this, because it is an unusual method and it is very interesting to see how it affects Slums. If you mean that they are lead outside quetly, "compliment" is probably not the verb of choice, because it means to pay a compliment.

Argh! Germanism strikes when least expected!! FIE! FIE! :lol:

Thank you Domi. :)

#26 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:21 PM

Argh! Germanism strikes when least expected!! FIE! FIE! :lol:

wish it was striking me... studying German currently :)

#27 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:54 PM

Argh!  Germanism strikes when least expected!!  FIE! FIE!  :lol:

wish it was striking me... studying German currently :)

Oh, it will! ;)

But I'm certain you will manage just nicely. :D

#28 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:31 AM

Gentle readers,

we remember, Valygar was not at his best when we left the group the evening before. Let?s go and have a look what the new day brought them, shall we?

Enjoy :)

Bey

#29 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:56 AM

Very nice take on the NPCs while largely sticking to the plot. I don't see some of the characters in the same way (I've always though of Valygar as determined to get into the Sphere and face his past, and as more fully aware of Mazzy's obvious feelings), but I liked your take, particularly on Mazzy. Anomen still comes accross as a bit shallow, but then he's written as shallow in-game.

Looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

#30 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:31 PM

Very nice take on the NPCs while largely sticking to the plot. I don't see some of the characters in the same way (I've always though of Valygar as determined to get into the Sphere and face his past, and as more fully aware of Mazzy's obvious feelings), but I liked your take, particularly on Mazzy. Anomen still comes accross as a bit shallow, but then he's written as shallow in-game.

Looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

I first started this story when I had not yet installed any mods. So I try to stick with my initial impressions. I won't state that I suceeded in every detail, but I honestly tried and try to.

I would agree with Valygar being more eager to enter the Sphere. But since he never complains, I was wondering why. Well, in truth they just forgot to put "ValygarComplainSphere" into the scripts, I guess. But that doesn't read too well in a story. ;)

Funny you should say Valygar is more aware of Mazzy's feelings. I remember some people being very surprised when I implied there were feelings. :D

Anomen... ah well... I must admit I hoped I had provided him with more depth. He will have some bigger entrances as the story continues. If he remains shallow I will try harder.

Thank you for reading and commenting, BobTokyo :)

#31 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:59 PM

as ussual with my comments short and sweet ;)

I like the extensions you have made and it does serve to improve the pice :D
more dosnt mean better always ;) but you pulled it off

#32 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

Funny you should say Valygar is more aware of Mazzy's feelings.  I remember some people being very surprised when I implied there were feelings.

Heh. :) I always though that was a great implied NPC romance. Brave, noble Mazzy, the mysterious and taciturn Ranger who'd helped to rescue her, bossing him around to see if he liked her and then he played along . . . :wub:

Height means nothing to the romantic soul.
;)

Anomen... ah well... I must admit I hoped I had provided him with more depth.  He will have some bigger entrances as the story continues.  If he remains shallow I will try harder.

Please understand that I did like what you did with him. I liked the early bit with him trying to show interest in the moondog figurine; that was good clueless but well intentioned boyfriend material. I think I was put off by the instant jumping to conclusions with Ajantis (though that is a classic bit). I think the moments with Jaheira were the best characterization work done with Ano in the piece, but there we are shown only a little of Ano trying to behave in a supportive way for a friend. Rather than hearing Jaheira muse on Ano's genuine desire to become more human, I would have liked to have spent more time showing him reaching out to her. Also, turning the conversation to Rhuan cheapens the moment for me; this is the shared comfort of two people who have known loss, and Ano turns it into something about himself. I would have prefered to see other events breaking this into two or more conversations. Ano should be more than just his relationship with Rhuan.

I would not comment at such length if I did not like and respect the work you've done. :)

Edited by BobTokyo, 30 June 2004 - 02:17 PM.

#33 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:43 PM

A little aftermath of the 'kiss', heh... A few jealous feelings mixed with the sway of a mystical/magical calling can sure make for an unusual day, can't it? Poor VMan.... I have definite sympathy for our Ranger here. But I trust you will pull him out of this, one way or the other...

Very enjoyable read, Bey, as always. Really, really like this rendition of Valygar. A man suffering the dilemma of what he believes his fate to be versus what he knows in his heart he wants to change it to. ;) It's an interesting study to watch his self-realization here. :turnip2: :turnip2:

MG

#34 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:54 AM

as ussual with my comments short and sweet ;)

I like the extensions you have made and it does serve to improve the pice :D
more dosnt mean better always ;) but you pulled it off

Thank you, notmrt :D

It's good to hear that especially since I have been accused of being long-winded (only one reader so far, but still... ;)).

Bey

#35 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:43 AM

I still am yet to see what is wrong with long winded ;) i like it lol
i think the person probebly considers added depth to be long winded ;)

#36 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:18 AM

I  still am yet to see what is wrong with long winded ;) i like it lol

I really like this comment and wholeheartedly agree with this. ;)

But then again, you already know that I'm a fan of your writing, Bey. :D

#37 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:31 PM

Funny you should say Valygar is more aware of Mazzy's feelings.  I remember some people being very surprised when I implied there were feelings.

Heh. :) I always though that was a great implied NPC romance. Brave, noble Mazzy, the mysterious and taciturn Ranger who'd helped to rescue her, bossing him around to see if he liked her and then he played along . . . :wub:

Height means nothing to the romantic soul.
;)

:D One should think so :D

Same goes for 'beauty in the eye of the beholder'.... ;)

At one point I had to decide; do I want him for Rhuan or do I want him for Mazzy. Rhuan won. Not necessarily because she's taller, but because I needed the 'human' factor.

Anomen... ah well... I must admit I hoped I had provided him with more depth.  He will have some bigger entrances as the story continues.  If he remains shallow I will try harder.

Please understand that I did like what you did with him. I liked the early bit with him trying to show interest in the moondog figurine; that was good clueless but well intentioned boyfriend material. I think I was put off by the instant jumping to conclusions with Ajantis (though that is a classic bit). I think the moments with Jaheira were the best characterization work done with Ano in the piece, but there we are shown only a little of Ano trying to behave in a supportive way for a friend. Rather than hearing Jaheira muse on Ano's genuine desire to become more human, I would have liked to have spent more time showing him reaching out to her. Also, turning the conversation to Rhuan cheapens the moment for me; this is the shared comfort of two people who have known loss, and Ano turns it into something about himself. I would have prefered to see other events breaking this into two or more conversations. Ano should be more than just his relationship with Rhuan.

I would not comment at such length if I did not like and respect the work you've dspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netone. :)

This is my first longer story and I?m learning as I?m going. *sigh*

Anomen is, or will be, more than his relationship with Rhuan, and I see your point. Allowing him more room in the story could help to make that clear much earlier.

Initially the story was a chain of brief impressions what goes on between the quests, in the evenings, before a quest starts, or when it ends.

I see now, that I have to unglue from the image that every scene has to go in one episode. Did I mention that this was my first longer story? ;)

Thank you for your encouragement :D

#38 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:38 PM

A little aftermath of the 'kiss', heh...  A few jealous feelings mixed with the sway of a mystical/magical calling can sure make for an unusual day, can't it?  Poor VMan....  I have definite sympathy for our Ranger here.  But I trust you will pull him out of this, one way or the other...

Very enjoyable read, Bey, as always.  Really, really like this rendition of Valygar.  A man suffering the dilemma of what he believes his fate to be versus what he knows in his heart he wants to change it to.  ;)  It's an interesting study to watch his self-realization here.  :turnip2:  :turnip2:

MG

It's certainly not easy for him. When you are convinced you are not going to attach for decades and then find yourself with the wish that you actually want to... oh boy... I don't want to be in his shoes. ;)

A good friend told me, a good character has to crawl, creep, grovel, sneak his/her way out of every hole I throw him/her in... otherwise they are not worth keeping. ;)
I guess I have provided a deep enough hole for our VMan this time around. :rolleyes:

Thank you for reading and commenting, help and editorial input. :D

Bey

#39 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:41 PM

:lol: I admit I like it a lot better now as well. ;)

#40 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:46 PM

I really like this comment and wholeheartedly agree with this. ;)

But then again, you already know that I'm a fan of your writing, Bey. :D

Hehehe

*snicker* ^_^

Thank you, Theo! :D