Romance for Minsc?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 -zethre-

-zethre-

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:39 PM

How about a romance for minsc? a weedy mage needing his protection who could also be his witch (a little like Aerie, but with less whining) or a nympho who goes for his muscles, and maybe has a female hamster of her own...?????? :huh:

#2 Melisah

Melisah

Ranger Chick

• 79 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 01:32 PM

I actually thought about this and I heard it talked about on different forums here and there.  

I was thinking his love interest could carry an Owl as a familar and she could make comments about how "Anastasha" would just love to goobble Boo up. ;)

#3 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 02:21 PM

Twisted! I like it! Although would it be yet another one of those annoying "my true love died, my true love died, my true love died, lets knock boots together!" romances?

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 28 April 2004 - 04:55 PM

Perhaps you can add this thread to the sticky list for "Frequently occouring(sp?) Mod Ideas" thread, <insert name here>.

Yeah, Minsc romance mod is one of those frequent ideas, though when it comes to coding it, no one ever attempted to do it.

-Galactygon

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:20 PM

He's an eight year old.

Seriously:

He's an eight year old.

Check out the banter when he talks to Aerie through Boo, asking to be healed in a... sensetive area.

Creepy.

#6 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:47 PM

Perhaps you can add this thread to the sticky list for "Frequently occouring(sp?) Mod Ideas" thread, <insert name here>.

Yeah, Minsc romance mod is one of those frequent ideas, though when it comes to coding it, no one ever attempted to do it.

-Galactygon

Your request is granted :D

Indeed, Minsc's romance was seeded a few times, but never took root and grew. :) Not sure it can really be made into a romance though. He is pretty much the only ranger I won't flutter my eyelashes at.

And please, please, please, do not try to make Dynaheir into his former lover, have mercy. Not only she tries to keep the distance between them in those lonely BG1 dialogues, but they are also on dajemma, which according to the long forgotten piece of lore by Lady Alustriel prohibits a romantic relationship between the Hathran and her bodyguard.

#7 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:02 PM

And please, please, please, do not try to make Dynaheir into his former lover, have mercy. Not only she tries to keep the distance between them in those lonely BG1 dialogues, but they are also on dajemma, which according to the long forgotten piece of lore by Lady Alustriel prohibits a romantic relationship between the Hathran and her bodyguard.

Hmm. "Unapproachable East" sourcebook doesn't say anything about that. If what, it hints that the hathrans usually take lovers amongst the most skilled berserkers, so I don't understand why it should be so hard to imagine Minsc and Dynaheir being lovers at least before her dajemma and before Minsc received his head wound.

Anyways, it would probably be up to the person who writes the romance to assume how he sees Minsc and Dynaheir's past relationship... especially since the facts in the game don't give us conclusive answer.

#8 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:35 PM

Now who has a dirty mind here?

I said love, not lover. I've always gotten the impression that Misnc was absolutly smitten with her. One of those crossed romances that would never be consumated but still would be the emotional polestar by which he lived and died. It always has bugged me that they never did anything with that after Casa Irenicus. They set up an emotional conflict that should have been as important as the PC's and Jaheira's, and they NEVER DID ANYTHING WITH IT. I guess I would like to see Misnc developed further, but on second thought, I think that actually romancing him would be a bit difficult. Jaheira's rebound from Kahlid was almost believable, but they always had this weird and somewhat disturbing (to me) dynamic going on anyway. There were many times that I wondered why Kahlid just didn't grab his pack in the night and leave.

Something I wrote into one of the dialogue drafts I have around:

"So, were you and Dynaheir lovers."

"Oh no! Dynaheir was the moon, the stars and the sun to Minsc. But to Dynaheir, Minsc was always just Minsc."

And how many times does in need to be said. THE SOURCEBOOKS ARE ONLY SUGGESTIONS.

#9 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:07 AM

Hmm. "Unapproachable East" sourcebook doesn't say anything about that. If what, it hints that the hathrans usually take lovers amongst the most skilled berserkers, so I don't understand why it should be so hard to imagine Minsc and Dynaheir being lovers at least before her dajemma and before Minsc received his head wound.

Anyways, it would probably be up to the person who writes the romance to assume how he sees Minsc and Dynaheir's past relationship... especially since the facts in the game don't give us conclusive answer.

As I said - I do not know where Lady Alustriel's information was coming from.

But to me such a prohibition or at least a recommendation not to engage into romantic relationship with the companion feels very logical because dajemma is the right of passage journey and conducted when the participants are very young. A romance, successfull or not, can screw things up a big time, and divert the couple.

However it is, Dynaheir speaks in game a few time about Minsc, and she does not sound at all like a woman speaking of her lover or even past lover:

Now Minsc, that thick head is best left where it is, regardless of how little it is used. Thou shalt continue to accompany me as previously assigned. No doubt our new friends would welcome a warrior of thy...perseverance.

Pay him little mind. Minsc must make his "dejemma" by seeking adventure, while I must prove my worth to my...sisters in much the same manner. 'Tis an interesting time for the Realms, with great things foretold for the Sword Coast. Hopefully we shall all find what we seek.

heer, she specifies that she is not interested in him being protective of her..

Stand easy Minsc, thy needs not be so motherly.

and finally her remark when Minsc dies does not sound like a wail of a woman who just lost her beloved:

Minsc! His mighty berserker wrath will not go unremembered.

At any rate, that's how I read it, and that's how I am going to write Dynaheir's romance - w/o Minsc as a former lover :)

Something I wrote into one of the dialogue drafts I have around:

"So, were you and Dynaheir lovers?"

"Oh no! Dynaheir was the moon, the stars and the sun to Minsc. But to Dynaheir, Minsc was always just Minsc."

To me Minsc feels a bit too primitive in his perceptions to be able to experience and express such an emotion.

I do not know, I have a feeling that Minsc's romance while start out as touching will quickly become pitiful, embarrassing or manipulative.

#10 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:30 AM

We had a pretty well-developed Minsc romance mod in construction at my old forums.

If you want to take up this project, I can go ahead and give you the old threads that we had.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#11 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:42 AM

I added this info in the FOIs. :)

#12 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:12 AM

But to me such a prohibition or at least a recommendation not to engage into romantic relationship with the companion feels very logical because dajemma is the right of passage journey and conducted when the participants are very young. A romance, successfull or not, can screw things up a big time, and divert the couple.

It's a bit amusing though, if you take in account what is said in the aforementioned book about dajemmas... quoting: "In days of old, young Rashemi nobles made the dajemma to visit strange lands, slaying terrible monsters and wicked warlords, but now it is mostly an exercise in drinking and sightseeing."

Though, of course, Dynaheir's goal was much more serious than just getting drunk. :)

At any rate, that's how I read it, and that's how I am going to write Dynaheir's romance - w/o Minsc as a former lover  :)

Well, that's perfectly valid too, of course. I'm not sure where I stand on this issue, myself... probably leaning to think that they were not involved romantically. A good writer could convince me of the contrary, though.

#13 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:32 AM

To me Minsc feels a bit too primitive in his perceptions to be able to experience and express such an emotion.

Misnc is an odd character. He's dim but in terms of stats he's not that dim. He's "below average" not "developmentally disabled." Misnc comes up with an amazing turn of metaphor at times. And I don't think it requires much in the way of wisdom to understand "I love her but she does not love me back," and also "I love her but she's untouchable."

The thing is, I can't read Minsc without coming to the conclusion that his life revolves around her. To me, Minsc's love for her is more explicit than Kahlid and Jaheira's relationship.

Now that I think about it, Minsc would be a tough one to write well.

#14 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:34 AM

It's a bit amusing though, if you take in account what is said in the aforementioned book about dajemmas... quoting: "In days of old, young Rashemi nobles made the dajemma to visit strange lands, slaying terrible monsters and wicked warlords, but now it is mostly an exercise in drinking and sightseeing."

Though, of course, Dynaheir's goal was much more serious than just getting drunk. :)

Dynaheir feels like a kind of person who would rather follow the old tradition, than make light of it. I have a difficult time imagining a type of woman who'd romance (I emphasise - romance, not aquire a one time curiosity bead on her necklace) Minsc, but I am inclined to see her as robust and simple....

#15 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:43 AM

The thing is, I can't read Minsc without coming to the conclusion that his life revolves around her. To me, Minsc's love for her is more explicit than Kahlid and Jaheira's relationship.

Now that I think about it, Minsc would be a tough one to write well.

I thought that his life revolves around Boo. :lol:

While I very much in favour of using stats and alignment as a guidance, Minsc is one case, when they are just out of whack, imo. I do not see his intellegence as 8, it's more like 4 or 3 imo. His "wise" comments are an attempt to match his wisdom score, I guess, just like his taste for goodness.

But after all is said and done, the man believes that his hamster talks - that is a 5yo's child imagination level. To fall in love one has to be mentally older.

I rather hear "I failed my all-important and all-consiming task of protecting my witch" in his speaches, than "the woman I loved to distraction is dead"

#16 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:35 AM

I'm open to the possibility that Boo is more than just hamster myself.

There are some moments where Minsc displays some more complexity in his conversations with other people. Boo aside, Minsc is not a 5-year-old in an adult body. He's slow, not developmentally retarded. I don't see a hint of early childhood egocentrism. He is capable of empathy, such as when he empathizes with the boy from Umar Hills. (A conversation that displays a pretty adult sensibility about emotion.) Boo's relayed dialogue is possibly delusional, but certainly not an example of childhood animism.

Perhaps I just spend a bit too much time reading developmental psychology and also reading children's writing. But I just can't see Minsc as an 8-year-old much less a 5-year-old. Minsc may be delusional about Boo, he may be a bit slow, but he certainly is not profoundly retarded or a developmental throwback. My impression of Minsc is that he has a learning disability. He might take longer to understand what is going on, and he might get frequently confused, but given enough time he'll get it eventually.

#17 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:49 AM

Perhaps I just spend a bit too much time reading developmental psychology and also reading children's writing. But I just can't see Minsc as an 8-year-old much less a 5-year-old. Minsc may be delusional about Boo, he may be a bit slow, but he certainly is not profoundly retarded or a developmental throwback. My impression of Minsc is that he has a learning disability. He might take longer to understand what is going on, and he might get frequently confused, but given enough time he'll get it eventually.

I'll trust your judgment on Minsc's mental development. :) But I will still disagree about him having romantic feelings for Dynaheir.

#18 -zethre-

-zethre-

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:33 PM

I dont think any minsc romance should involve dynaheir, except maybe as fuel to his new love interests jealousy. after all, dynaheir's dead, if she could come back, so could khalid, and really, would anybody want to risk him coming back? ....

..........."Better part of valour, better part of valour!..."

:lol:

besides, i agree, she really didnt fancy him at all, and i dont think she was really weedy enough (in personality i mean) to be suitable for him - aerie might be a better match. he's bright enough to be able to compliment and reassure her on her beauty, which seems to be all she wants from a relationship, and she's nice and pathetic for him to protect.

#19 -sickone-

-sickone-

Posted 02 May 2004 - 06:28 AM

Minsc: Ooooh CHARNAME! Let us do some nice arse-licking! Here...you can hold Boo this time!

Minsc: But CHARNAME...my small warrior is not too thick...

Minsc: Sorry CHARNAME...Dynaheir liked to swallow my milk...

yeah I need help... :blink:

#20 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:07 PM

a tad off topic but I have a theory about Boo

when minsc got his headwound, all his marbles weren't "lost" but, innacessable. Now when he got Boo, by being convinced that this intellegent being has a mental link to him. He know has a proper Coax to his more intellegent side that was lost to him.
I meen when Minsc includes boo into his lines... Boo seems to often give FAR better advice than an idiots pet should...
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....