• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:12 AM

And how about looking at it from another PoW: 6 damage? ;) :D
Anyway, I can always modify the damage to say, 5D10 +3D10 (save vs breath at -2), or simply make that save vs. breath at a 0 modifier.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#22 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:30 AM

its good. maybe a bit too powerfull with 100damage.

IMO there are several things to look at here.

First, while 10d10 to multiple opponents is a *lot* TGM?s description leads me to believe that most boss types will usually take only 6d10 since they will make their saves most of the time and ignore the 4d10.

Second, it costs you to use Shockwave. You could potentially be trading 3 Timestops for this one attack. I?m willing to bet that I could pump out a lot more than 10d10 with 3 Timestops and some items or other spells.

Third, TGM is correct about the probabilities. You could do 6 damage or you could do 100. If it does less damage then in my mind it should drain less spells. Fair is fair.

;)

edit: Oh, and a Horrid Wilting does 20d6 ... that's a max of 120 HP and it doesn't have any chance of draining 3 spells. :)

Edited by Rathwellin the Bard, 03 May 2004 - 04:39 AM.

#23 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:39 AM

I know this is crazy talk, but I?ve finally really realized what I would *really* want to replace elemental HLAs with.

Dragon stuff.

It?s always intrigued me that the Sorcerers are thought to be descendents of Dragons or at least have Dragon blood running in their veins.

Some possibilities.

Dragon Breath. Not like the Mage Spell / old HLA, but the ability to pick one or two types of breath that the Sorcerer could breath a few times a day.

Dragon Skin. A passive that permanently increases base AC and elemental resistances.

Dragon Form. The ability to shapechange into a Dragon once a day.

Dragon Summoning. The ability to gate in a big Dragon or small Dragons.

A lot of work to flesh all this out and make it balanced, but I think that I would like stuff like this 1000x times better than the elemental based stuff you currently have. And in reality this might even offer a fusion of the ideas.

Edited by Rathwellin the Bard, 03 May 2004 - 05:53 AM.

#24 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:55 AM

I know this is crazy talk, but I?ve finally really realized what I would *really* want to replace elemental HLAs with.
Dragon stuff.

Sorry, but my short answer is *NO*.
Any relation between sorcerers and Dragons are specualtions, and truth to be told, I never really loved the idea. I could imagine a Dragon walking Faerun in a human sorcerer's form (since their ancient magic shows many similarities with the way sorcerers cast their spells), but thats all. I'm posititve that 99 from 100 sorcerers is non-draconic in every aspects. It is up to the player to roleplay his/her sorcerer as a Dragon-spawn, but its not my cup of tea ;) .

vI think that I would like stuff like this 1000x times better than the elemental based stuff you currently have

I won't. Actually, I'd NEVER add those abilities, even if they were the only option left - sorry, but Dragon's should not be messed with player controlled characters IMO. -_-
Posted Image

#25 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:59 AM

yeah, yeah. the old dragon breath did 20d10 damage with one spell. ;)

sounds like the dragon disciple. :) this is more suited for a kit and not for the normal sorc and at least in 3ed the dragon disciple has latent dragon blood in the body. not necessarily all sorcs. ;)
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#26 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:15 AM

Ah, but you can't do Sorcerer kits.

I'll also note that I said 'gate' in a Dragon. Nothing like summoning in a a ticked Dragon ... and no Protection from Evil 10' is going to save your tail. :)

I'll continue with the understanding that this is never likely to ever see the light of day, but just imagine.

1. A Dragon HLA track for the Dragon blooded. Fire Based maybe.
2. An Infernal HLA track for the Demon and Nether blooded (Tiefling Sorcerer anyone?). Acid Based.
3. A Holy HLA track for the Celestial blooded. Electical Based.
4. A ??? path. Ice based.

I'll agree that it's probably too much to be the ofspring of a dead god and a distant relative of a mystical creature. But sure would be fun.

:D

#27 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:38 AM

But sure would be fun

Maybe :P .
Posted Image

#28 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:25 AM

A note regarding people looking at extreme die rolls:

Sure, 10d10 might cause 100 damage. It also might cause 6 damage. However, there is only a .00000001 % chance each for those extremes. The real number you should look at is the average damage. It will deal, on average (provided the saving throw fails), 55 damage. That looks pretty powerful until you realize that Dragon's Breath deals what, 20d10 damage on a failed save?

#29 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:27 AM

The one thing about Dragon's Breath is that lots of creatures have decent fire resistance in ToB. That limits the damage somewhat.

TG what damage type does Shockwave do?

#30 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:51 PM

Ah, but you can't do Sorcerer kits.

I'll also note that I said 'gate' in a Dragon. Nothing like summoning in a a ticked Dragon ... and no Protection from Evil 10' is going to save your tail. :)

I'll continue with the understanding that this is never likely to ever see the light of day, but just imagine.

1. A Dragon HLA track for the Dragon blooded. Fire Based maybe.
2. An Infernal HLA track for the Demon and Nether blooded (Tiefling Sorcerer anyone?). Acid Based.
3. A Holy HLA track for the Celestial blooded. Electical Based.
4. A ??? path. Ice based.

I'll agree that it's probably too much to be the ofspring of a dead god and a distant relative of a mystical creature. But sure would be fun.

:D

This is a bit OT, but actually if they could be upped to the levels from DL age period (Acicnet Wyrm (as opposeed to just ancient) and Legendary Wyrm) this would solve the summoning for beutral clerics (as good get solars and evil get balor lords last i heard)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:54 PM

TG what damage type does Shockwave do?

Mostly crushing (blunt) and some magic damage.
Posted Image

#32 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:34 AM

That sounds good! Is Shockwave affected by MR?

#33 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:58 AM

Is Shockwave affected by MR?

No, maybe the magic damage, but I may as well drop it or change it to blunt.
Posted Image

#34 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:03 AM

I'm really liking the way Shockwave sounds.

I will not be surprised at all if it doesn't make it into v1.2 ... but would be happy if it did.

#35 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:16 AM

Don't count on it. ;)
While I already created create the required files, I still don't have an overly fitting central visual. In addition to this, I really wouldn't want to stress Littiz with new stuff as per our "agreement": no new stuff until v2 :) .

Sorry guys, you'll have to wait for v2 to get all these goodies! :P
Posted Image

#36 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:18 PM

Is Shockwave affected by MR?

No, maybe the magic damage, but I may as well drop it or change it to blunt.

PLEASE!!!

the spell all sorcerors envy in the clerical pool is implosion...

ignores magic resistance, blunt damage...

i don't suppose shockwave could ignore magic resistance???

abi dahzim is blocked by magic resistance, dragon breath ignores it...

its not unreasonable for a attack spell that is half the power of dragon breath, but doesn't use fire damage (which a lot of monsters are immune to) and dragon breath also ignores magic resistance...

and i don't think you're planning to add the possible stun affect that an implosion can inflict... :P
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#37 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:13 PM

better to sort out bugs than to add features and add more bugs to the initial bugs, buggy... buddy. :blink:

"PLEASE!!!

"

:D definately.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#38 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:22 PM

better to sort out bugs than to add features and add more bugs to the initial bugs, buggy... buddy. :blink:

"PLEASE!!!

"

:D definately.

pssst...

go to override directory, then look for sppr728.spl...

copy it out to mydocuments, then edit the name of the file to implo.spl...

open up near infinity, and change to wizard spell..

use shadowkeeper to add to your sorceror's spell table...

copy back sppr728.spl back into override directory...or else your clerics will never get that spell when they are at high level...

enjoy... :P
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#39 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:19 AM

pssst...
go to override directory, then look for sppr728.spl...
copy it out to mydocuments, then edit the name of the file to implo.spl...
open up near infinity, and change to wizard spell..
use shadowkeeper to add to your sorceror's spell table...
copy back sppr728.spl back into override directory...or else your clerics will never get that spell when they are at high level...

Umm, sorry UU, but I never really like these "solutions". While I agree to the point that nearly everything can be "nerfed, cheated, tricked" in the game, things are there for a reason. If I want players to mess with all the spells in the mod, I simply put a bunch of them in a directory, and let them choose/alter/copy materials where and when they like. No, I think our 2DA tables are there for a reason. We put MUCH effort into making these files and system, and excuse me while I say, I don't love the idea that players simply change it entirely. While I have nothing against exploring the cheese-factor of stuff, I don't prefer changing the system. I hope you know what I mean. ;) -_-

better to sort out bugs than to add features and add more bugs

Absolutely. This won't permit me to work on future stuff though... :rolleyes: :)

i don't suppose shockwave could ignore magic resistance???

It does, and so it should. It is not a magical blast that deal magic damage to nearby creatures - it is a magical blast that creates a small shockwave. This shockwave is entirely non-magical, and deals normal blunt damage (the same like Air Elemental Whirlwind).

Edited by T.G.Maestro, 05 May 2004 - 02:22 AM.

Posted Image

#40 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:43 AM

BTW, I'm nearly ready with Shockwave. A few things changed, and I created a nice bam, a new projectile and a fitting VVC to it. There might be a better visual somewhere, but at least this looks like a magical burst ;) . Here is the final(?) description of this HLA:

Shockwave
Powerful sorcerers can go beyond the classic limits of arcane magic. Channeling pure magical energies in their bodies, they are able to unleash part of it in a massive blast. This ability is different from any other magical formulas - it doesn't require difficult gestures, or heavy concentration. The sorcerer simply focuses his power into a spot somewhere in his line of sight, and creates a concentrated outburst of magical energy in one moment. This shockwave deals 5D10 damage to every creature in the target area (no save), and knocks everyone uncounscious for 1 round. If the victims fail their save vs. breath, they suffer additional 3D10 points of damage, they fall uncounscious for 2 rounds, and will be knocked back to a great distance by the power of the blast.
Since this is not an extra spell for this class, but an alternative use of arcane energies, sorcerers must sacrifice 1D2 spells from their selection (starting from the most powerful ones) every time they use this ability.

Requirements: Inner Focus, Casting by Intent
Can be chosen 5 times

Further notes:
- Shockwave has a 15' radius area effect.
- it affects friend & foe alike.
- it completely ignores MR.
- it has a casting time of 1.
- it is considered an 8th level innate ability.

Edited by T.G.Maestro, 06 May 2004 - 12:33 AM.

Posted Image