• 1719 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:22 AM

That`s exactly why I didn`t recolor Aerie`s lips, Viconia has lipstick too. :P

#22 Ziggy

Ziggy

Messiah for the animals.

• 313 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:19 AM

Can some one tell me where i can find the original npc portraits, i want to try changing them, so far i can only get the eyes right. <_<
Power corupts, Absolute power corupts absolutly.

#23 -icelus-

-icelus-

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:26 AM

The easiest way is to download Infinity Explorer (don't have a link handy... try Google) and browse through the .bmp files. The program will give you the option to save or export each file.

#24 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:48 AM

I'm sure the Drow have come up with "hot" make-up which shows up when using infravision ;).

That would involve applying something hotter or colder than human body temperature on their lips and *keeping* the temperature contrast constant against heat convection, which will cause lips to chip and dry out. I know that human women do wear heals, remove hair and used to wear corsets, but in Drow society if there is anything positive at all is that women do not have to suffer in order to attract males. So it is more likely that drow have naturally not gray lips (then all males should have pink lips). Or Viconia started wearing make-up at the surface to protect her lips against drying, and any such thing done in the Underdark will look odd and compromise that very "blending" in motive you are trying to achieve by substituting the protraits.

#25 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:11 AM

IMO, Domi, makeup is fashion. I see nothing wrong with the women putting lip covering on if the guys are doing things like painting purple circles or green lines on their heads. It just seems to me like ?makeup? of various sorts is used by both genders above and below ground.

As far as creating ?warmer? colors it seems to me that it would not be too hard to do so using fungi or chemicals found underground. I?m reminded of today?s Icy-Hot and other skin warmers. There could also be a little magic involved.

It gets even easier if you are talking UV vision. As I recall in PnP Drow have both UV and IR vision. Also in the setting there are several UV emitting fungi and creatures.

I actually used a passive medical IR camera many years ago. It was fascinating. Among other things I took a picture of my mother while she was pregnant with my sister. Even through her clothing you could, in a general way, see how my sister was laying inside of her. The detail was nothing like the ultrasound stuff used today, but it was neat. Honestly, given how the pictures came out I would think that many drow would use some sort of IR or UV ?makeup? to enhance their appearance, no matter what their gender.

#26 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:27 AM

As far as creating ?warmer? colors it seems to me that it would not be too hard to do so using fungi or chemicals found underground. I?m reminded of today?s Icy-Hot and other skin warmers. There could also be a little magic involved.

Try putting it on your lips and imagine that the temperature contrast stays the same for a few hours. Plus, judging from Underdark roles, it would rather be males who would wear make-up to attarct a female than vice versa.

in general drow try to be as unremarkable as possible to avoid calling a sudden death on themselves, according to RAS; that would be expacially true for the group of refugies. Looking *prettier*/more remarkable than a female from a UN house may very well prove lethal.

And, if Drow's natural lip colour is grey, while their most hated enemies - faeries is pink/red, why on earth would they imitate it? Would not they rather apply something that matches *their* colouring (bluish, yellowish, whitish?) Moreover, most fluorescent and phosphorecent materials do not glow pink.

#27 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:06 AM

Domi, makeup need not be just about sex or attracting partners. ?Dress for success? has been a truism for centuries. Fashion could easily be driven by other things than just sex in a drow society.

However with that said sex could be a reason too. Just because the don?t *have* to attract a mate doesn?t mean that they wouldn?t want to torture the poor males who can?t help but to be visually turned on by them. It would be using sex and beauty as power. They don?t have to but they could easily enjoy it.

Secondly red is the color of blood. Seems very appropriate to me for a drow to have bloody looking lips.

Third a certain amount of arrogance is expected from a proper drow. It?s good up to a point. In fact *not* having it is a bigger clue that something isn?t right than having it would be.

Finally I doubt that they would be imitating their surface cousins. I rarely picture surface elves with makeup on. They would be the ones far more likely to have pale lips IMO.

Edited by Rathwellin the Bard, 12 May 2004 - 08:08 AM.

#28 cmyster

cmyster
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:24 AM

khayman, try using Power Goo or something like that to stretch the facial features. I made an Elven Mona Lisa once...
[FONT=Times][SIZE=1]
Thus it was that Rincewind,hurrying through the crowded, flare-lit evening bazaars of Morpork with the Luggage trundling behind him, jostled a tall dark figure, turned to deliver a few suitable curses, and beheld Death.
It had to be Death. No-one else went around with empty eye sockets and, of course, the scythe over one shoulder was another clue.

#29 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:29 AM

If it is dress-for-success it will be much more realistic if both male and female wore it - that's my original point - do it consistently on all characters, not just on females - or some males, some females. I mean Haer'Dalis is far more likely to go for make-up than Aerie, imho.

If it is sex, I cannot imagine a drow female caring what and if a particular male thinks. We all know what happenes to girls that do (Phaere)

I really doubt that blood is coloured pink.

Some surface elves iirc heavily tatoo and apply skin dyes.

EDIT: I am having a lot of fun discussing it, but I really-really must run now. Sorry.

Edited by domi, 12 May 2004 - 08:40 AM.

#30 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:45 AM

Why would male and female fasions match perfectly?

It's not about really caring what males think. It's about power and control. Making males desire you gives you power over them regardless if you care to use it or not. Dressing to make them desire you in a culture that doesn't make you chase after them actually indicates that you *don't* care what they think. Not really.

I'm about at the end of my posting too. See ya!

#31 Ziggy

Ziggy

Messiah for the animals.

• 313 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:54 AM

can someone put a link to a sight that works, all the ones i find wont come up. :(

#32 JPS

JPS

Knight of the Living Dead

• 205 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

If you mean the link to the Gibberlings Three, the site is moving at the moment, but will be availiable again soon at www.gibberlings3.net

(actually, the site is already availiable, but the forums are moving, which is why the link doesn't work)

EDIT: And if you mean Infinity Explorer, try infexp.sourceforge.net/

Edited by JPS, 12 May 2004 - 12:20 PM.

"They have no thought of safety, subtlety, or strategy, leaving others with no hope of stopping their mass assault."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

#33 Ziggy

Ziggy

Messiah for the animals.

• 313 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:46 PM

Thanks, it was infinity i wanted. :D

#34 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:11 AM

It'd be cool if you could Drow-ize the Elven Haer'Dalis near the bottom of the first page of this thread ;).

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 13 May 2004 - 06:12 AM.

#35 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:41 AM

This one?

Posted Image
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#36 Ziggy

Ziggy

Messiah for the animals.

• 313 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

This is begging to get irritating, i managed to download the infinity explorer but it wont open SoA or ToB, it works fine with IWD and BG1, can anyone offer an explanation.

Ignore this, its just decided to work :blink:

Edited by Ziggy, 13 May 2004 - 12:05 PM.

#37 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:59 PM

While the humans and elves look great, wouldn't making dwarves, halflings and gnomes (alright, korgan, mazzy and jan) mean completely changing their physical apperance anyway? maybe they should just be druguer or something if portraits are made.
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#38 -Gust-

-Gust-

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:31 PM

It's not about really caring what males think. It's about power and control. Making males desire you gives you power over them regardless if you care to use it or not. Dressing to make them desire you in a culture that doesn't make you chase after them actually indicates that you *don't* care what they think. Not really.

They have tentacle rods. Look. I know human men (as in... in real actual history) have often worn makeup and fancy clothing and such. But that's not because of poweror control. That's because of vanity. Men did not need to look sexy (well... I dunno... I suppose they considered themselves sexy) to control women, because they already did. Same thing goes for drow society (though in reverse), Drow women may wear such things out of vanity, but not because they need to control males. That's a human thing. Because women lacked so much power (again, talking about actual human societies and cultures here) in most human cultures, it became common for them to use their looks and bodies to get what they wanted. Drow females don't need to do that, however, since they can just as well have the insignificant males tortured and thrown to the spiders.

I'm not a buff on drow culture or anything, but it sort of makes sense that the dominant gender of a species would not need to resort to things such as altering their appearance to control a gender they've already whipped into submission. But then again, I'm arguing about a genre where a female warrior's preferred attire is a chain-mail thong, or at least a suit of armor that reveals so much cleavage that it's long since lost any ability to protect it's wearer from anything more dangerous than a wooden butterknife. So I don't know. I'm going to guess that drow women do wear make up and scant clothing to reveal their large, firm breasts, simply because most people who write this fiction and draws these pictures and makes these games are all men who aren't getting nearly enough.

*flees like a motherfucking ninja*

Drive by postin', yo.

#39 Barren Fischa

Barren Fischa

Coming...

• 365 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:31 PM

By the way Lady Mystique did some drow edits as well.
Wondering where's the old Interplay community? Well, they're all at Ashford City!

#40 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:23 AM

I am collaborating with her now and our combined work will be included in the G3 tweak pack. :)