Any theories on who TNO was?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:36 AM

Just wondered, since I have completed the game, and I noticed a bit of dialogue from when you use the Bronze Sphere that says something along the lines of "You realise there is nothing you can't do" (if my memory serves correctly) - and I take that in the very literal sense, meaning TNO was an extremely powerful person, so have there been any theories on it?

#2 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:41 AM

One theory was that he was Yemeth, a powerful wizard. Though that's thought to have been a blunder on the part of the design team. Yemeth is mentioned on one of the tomb walls, and The pendent of Yemeth is an unused item.

Another theory (which I prefer, but don't know if it's true) is that TNO is Gith. His crime was the sundering of his race into the Githyanki and Githzerai, causing endless bloodshed. This also explains why you can make a Circle of Zerthimon good enough to fool Dak'Kon.

Or, he could just be some guy... :) We'll never know.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:15 AM

Let's see: the Transendent One said he possessed all the Nameless One's knowledge of military tactics and his experienced gained from the Black Decades War. The Nameless One also studied magic with Lum The Mad; again, according to the Transcendent One. We know the Nameless One was a brilliant general who won countless victories in the Blood War... so we have a wide range of possibilities.

I loved how his first incarnation changed from a murderous bastard to a regretful champion of goodness. What changed him? You don't suddenly regret a lifetime of atrocities for no reason: something must've pushed him away from that dark path.

#4 -Original Guest who started this-

-Original Guest who started this-

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:52 AM

He did all that? Are you sure? Are we talking about the same Transcendent One here? Could you point out to me where he said any of that? I can't remember it. Mind you, it has been ages since I played the game.

To Andyr: It's very interesting... I take it Yemeth was a really muscly and powerful wizard? Seriously, what's Yemeth's story? I've done a google search for "Yemeth" and "Yemeth wizard" but nothing's come up, except a few foreign sites.

#5 The Leveler

The Leveler
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

Gith was female. Yemeth was one of the tings TNO was called. Go to www.sorcerers.net, Games, PST, Tips, Tricks and hints. Go to the bottom and get Stories of Torment. Great peice. Has a dialog based PST story, Complete Circle of Zerth, and the same guy's HIstory of the Nameless one. He was not originally a leader. It says a betrayal, a contract. ect. That's in the game. Seems to me he signed off and betrayed something to the Baatezu. Or maybe the theories about the baatezu being just puppets of whatever living beyond the last level, Nessus.

#6 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:02 AM

Could you point out to me where he said any of that? I can't remember it.

I remember the Lum the Mad reference in his conversation with the Transcendant One (I think the others are there as well). TTO was refering to the fact that he was learning with TNO through all of TNO's adventures, although he hadn't forgotten any of it while TNO had.

My personal theory was that TNO was Alexander the Great. The description of The Gordion Knot just got me thinking how cool that would be. ;)

Edited by Thorium Dragon, 09 May 2004 - 11:03 AM.

#7 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

Did-a-chick? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

• 388 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:08 AM

"WHEN YOU FOUGHT IN THE BLACK DECADE WAR, ALL YOUR MILITARY KNOWLEDGE WAS CARVED IN MY MIND. WHEN YOU DANCED SORCERIES WITH LUM THE MAD, I LEARNED WITH YOU. ALL YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN, I HAVE *NOT.* THE POWER OVER LIFE AND DEATH IS BUT A MINOR DISPLAY OF MY POWER."

He says that when you goad him about ressurecting your companions.

#8 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

Gith was female. Yemeth was one of the tings TNO was called. Go to www.sorcerers.net, Games, PST, Tips, Tricks and hints. Go to the bottom and get Stories of Torment. Great peice. Has a dialog based PST story, Complete Circle of Zerth, and the same guy's HIstory of the Nameless one. He was not originally a leader. It says a betrayal, a contract. ect. That's in the game. Seems to me he signed off and betrayed something to the Baatezu. Or maybe the theories about the baatezu being just puppets of whatever living beyond the last level, Nessus.

I always thought, as you say he signed a contract with the Baatezu, changed his mind and went to see Ravel to make him immortal. As he couldn't die he wouldn't go to the Blood War. Hence the reason why he walks into the the pack of fiends at the end.

#9 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

Gith was female.

Oops. I do of course mean Zerthimon, not Gith. Gith is still alive (undead), after all. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:21 PM

Well, if the person who was the Nameless One studied magic with Lum The Mad, he's probably thousands of years old, judging from the fact that Lum The Mad's machine is in Watcher's Keep, which has stored Demogorgon for how long?

I think it's mentioned somewhere in the game that there have been a LOT of incarnations.

I have little knowledge of The Realms, infact, a bare minimun, if even that, so I'm judging by what's in the PST and TOB here. I'm sure they probably aren't connecting in any way, which is just my luck.

Obviously, someone with some knowledge can draw up some conclusions. The Pillar of Skulls does call you "Yemeth" and I have no idea about anyone called Yemeth. Does it mean anything in D&D, in any Elven language or something?

Damn it, why does this game have to be so fascinating? Sometimes I wish they would just give it to us straight and say "The Nameless One is <insert name here>!!!"

It's like trying to figure out whether Guybrush Threepwood is a child in a theme park or is really a pirate, when they can just easily say, Yay or Nay. *frustrated sigh*

#11 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:43 PM

Yemeth is just another name for TNO, who knows what it means? It is unlikely that we'll find out. Maybe it was just a name thought up by a developer. Though I think it is better that you never find out what TNO's name was, it adds to the greatness of the story.

#12 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:41 PM

Well, if the person who was the Nameless One studied magic with Lum The Mad, he's probably thousands of years old, judging from the fact that Lum The Mad's machine is in Watcher's Keep, which has stored Demogorgon for how long?

Lum's machine was not in Watcher's Keep from the beginning. Lum's machine found its way into the keep much more recently. Presumably within a few years of the PC's arrival given that a survivor is still alive and ageing normally ouside the machine.

Also, if the machine is moving across time as well as the planes, there is no way to tell how old the machine (and therefore Lum and TNO) is.

#13 Caswallon

Caswallon

Telvanni Archmagister

• 284 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

Hmm... PS:T is way older than ToB.
It was discussed here just a few days ago that Lum the Mad appears in official publications.
I don't think that it makes sense to construct relative times between the various IE games. Things like Aphril's vision of TNO in BG2 are references in games, not something that establishes a timeline.
So PS:T as well as ToB throw in Lum's name... I don't think that leads us anywhere.

The quote of the Transcendent One above doesn't refer to the life of the First Incarnation, imho, but to the many incarnations that followed.
As for Yemeth, I'm with Maurice - just names. Adahn, Yemeth... whatever.
Somewhere I even read the theory that TNO never had a name, because when he learns about it, he says, wondering, "*That* was my name all along?", or something like that.

I don't remember much, but I also thought that the Nameless One did something horrible (betraying someone, for instance - Morte?), became afraid of dying and paying the price, and went to Ravel to become immortal. I vaguely seem to recall that in the vision of his meeting with Ravel (the first one?), he was leading a group of Blood War soldiers across the Gray Wastes... though I'm not sure anymore whether that really referred to his first incarnation seeking immortality, or one of the following.

#14 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:26 PM

I was looking through the dialouges with the 3rd Incarnation and found something that I hadn't noticed before - TNO went to find Ravel out wanting to repent his sins, not just being afraid of death...

3rd Inc - "Because if we die, *truly* die..." The incarnation looks up at you, and his eyes are like steel. "Death's kingdom will *not* be paradise, not for us. If you spoke to these others that were here, know that a fraction of the evil of their lives is but a drop of water compared to the evil of mine. That life, that one life, even *without* the thousands of others, has given a seat in the Lower Planes for eternity."

TNO - "But you seem so much... calmer. More well-intentioned."

3rd Inc - "I became that way, yes. Because for me..." His voice takes on a strange echo. "It is *regret* that may change the nature of a man." He sighs. "But it was too late. I was already damned."

3rd Inc - "I found that changing my nature was not enough. I needed more time, and I needed more life. So I came to the greatest of the Gray Sisters and asked her for a boon - to try and help me live long enough to rectify all the damage I had done. To make me immortal."

#15 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 02:21 AM

If you defeat the robot prostitute (I believe her name was Dolora) at chess your mind races back to a memory of the Blood War in which your first incarnation claims yet another victory on the field of battle. My impression of the Nameless One was of a general and mage who was so brilliant that he managed to survive the unspeakable horrors of the Blood War for the entire duration of his contract with ease. The two devils in the Smoldering Corpse Bar *know you*, but they refuse to reveal anything about your true identity.

If you construct the dream catcher (I can't remember it's exact name), you visit Ravel's realm where there are dozens of corpses lying in front of you. Ravel's voice then says something along the lines of "I've lost count of the number of people you've killed".

The first incarnation was powerful enough to seek out Ravel in the first place, so I doubt he wielded the powers of anything less than an arch-mage.

Edited by Longinus, 11 May 2004 - 12:58 AM.

"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#16 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:06 AM

If you defeat the robot prostitute (I believe her name was Dolora) at chess your mind races back to a memory of the Blood War in which your first incarnation claims yet another victory on the field of battle. My impression of the Nameless One was of a brilliant general and mage who was so brilliant that he survived the horrors of the Blood War for the duration of his contract. The two devils in the Smoldering Corpse Bar *know you*, but they refuse to reveal anything about your true identity.

If you construct the dream machine (I can't remember it's exact name), you visit Ravel's realm where there are dozens of corpses lying in front of you and Ravel's voice says something along the lines of "I've lost count of the number of people you've killed".

The first incarnation was powerful enough to seek out Ravel in the first place, so I doubt he wielded the powers of anything less than an Arch Mage.

That memory dosn't say that the battle is taking place in the blood war though. I agree that the orignal NO was probably a arch-mage as he studied with Lum before he had even met Ravel...

#17 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:19 AM

I thought the 'contract' that he signed was the main reason for the fact that he had a permanent place in the Blood War. The contract that he signed caused a war, to my memory. It had to be something HUGE then, if that's the case.

Ofcourse, taking this literally, if there is NOTHING he can't do then he was a powerful guy.

His effect on the women he travels with is interesting too, there have probably been a lot who loved him, everyone who has travelled with him has been insanely loyal, I'm guessing that's a quality from his 'life.' He must have been a leader of something, signed a contract that started some MASSIVE war and gotten a permanent seat in the lower hells for eternity.

Trias does says you are 'lower' than him, however, so I doubt TNO was anything divine, though there's always a chance he might be. Ah, I suppose we'll never know.

#18 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:51 AM

That memory dosn't say that the battle is taking place in the blood war though.

The symbol of Torment tattooed onto the Nameless One is the symbol of a flag seen in the Blood War battle that rages during the ending cinematic. The way I see it, the Nameless One returns to where his problems all began. He doesn't even fight his fate; he just pries a mace out of a wagon and walks onto the field of battle.

Edited by Longinus, 10 May 2004 - 03:52 AM.

#19 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:16 AM

That memory dosn't say that the battle is taking place in the blood war though.

The symbol of Torment tattooed onto the Nameless One is the symbol of a flag seen in the Blood War battle that rages during the ending cinematic. The way I see it, the Nameless One returns to where his problems all began. He doesn't even fight his fate; he just pries a mace out of a wagon and walks onto the field of battle.

True... Maybe the blood war theory is possible - though Fhjull does not recognise TNO, he says that he would've remembered the scarring. If he was in the blood war, I wonder what happened to make him repent? Also Morte had a hand in killing TNO, though I do not know if that was a Incarnation or the original. Shame we'll never find out.

#20 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:40 AM

I, too, am curious about what drove the Nameless One's original incarnation to seek redemption. How can someone cursed with the blackest of hearts suddenly have a change of heart? Even Ravel couldn't figure out the answer to that question. He must've seen the consequences of his actions with his own two eyes.

Still, I'd rather ask questions than know all the answers, wouldn't you?

Edited by Longinus, 10 May 2004 - 10:43 AM.