Games comparable to Torment

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

Did-a-chick? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

• 388 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:58 AM

As the title says will there ever be a game to measure up to PST? Of course things like Morrowind beat it hands down when it comes to graphics. (Though even PST's aged graphics have a certain charm) But for storytelling, depth, evolution of character arcs, characters you actually care about and even a fantastic soundtrack nothing can touch it.
IMO The only game of recent time to measure up to it's standard of storytelling and well thought out characters is KotOR, though even that is a million miles away from the quality of writing that the team behind PST managed to produce. Will there ever be another game with such high standards or is it just a blip in a market that is becoming increasingly shallow?

#2 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:07 AM

Grim Fandango - personally, I think Grim Fandango is better than Planescape Torment, though they are different genres. Grim Fandango is an Adventure game, and a bloody good one at that. The characters, the story, the puzzles, the action, it's all so greatly woven in together.. if you haven't played Grim Fandango then you are REALLY missing out on one of the best games ever made.

#3 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:40 AM

It's one of those forgotten greats....

like Holloween Harry for starting the FPS genre (not that it was all that good, but it was the one true fps starter)

but you know, to compare greats (being forgotten or reveared) is just not right...

let me make an example

We'll try to compare Earthbound (Mother 2 for the England of the East) and PST...

PST obviously has it beat on almost all accounts except music (well... if you like acid funk). But it counts for something being the only thing from nintendo that ever made my mother remember her teen years (she came of age in the mid 70s) not to mention, it had a certain other charm to it... something I can't figure out exactly but it always makes me happy...

PST is technically better on all accounts.. including style. Now this great game I enjoy more than earthbound. I love the story and I can feel the pain of all the characters, and their happyness. My heart really did speed up when you innitiate the "biting" dialog with Annah. After a while I forgot they wheren't real. Even now that I just started playing again when I look at Annah, she looks real, when I look at morte, I see a real skull there. Not the prerendered mid poly skull.

but better isn't always better... which do I choose?
I enjoyed PST more
earthbound made me happier

it's worthless to compare...

but is there ever gonna be a game as well made in the future... yes there will... and noone will buy it...
like ICO
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#4 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:31 PM

The reason these games don't sell as much is becuase PS:T's storyline is incomprehensible to an average buyer; meaning that the story is too advanced/too well written for a common gamer. These days, stuff like Diablo gets sold better because the rules are pretty simple compared to AD&D rules and you don't have to know a lot to play those games.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#5 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:38 PM

The reason these games don't sell as much is becuase PS:T's storyline is incomprehensible to an average buyer; meaning that the story is too advanced/too well written for a common gamer. These days, stuff like Diablo gets sold better because the rules are pretty simple compared to AD&D rules and you don't have to know a lot to play those games.

-Galactygon

And the fact that Interplay's marketing skills leave a lot to be desired, I mean just look at the box that it came in. I wonder if it was re-released now after all the word of mouth it has had, it would sell well?

#6 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:33 AM

-Galactygon

Yeah... it's almost like a Fellini film. Or anything made by David Lynch...
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#7 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:49 AM

Half-Life is, obviously, a great game. I like how you know only as much as Gordon knows, and the ending is great - you either work for Gman or die, but atleast you get a choice, eh? It makes you wonder if you have done the right thing by killing Ninilanth. It gets better when the military come in to contain the aliens leading up to the eventual nuking of Black Mesa.
Also, I like how Opposing Force adds Race X that are, to my memory, warring with the Xen aliens. I played it alot, so I figured out a few things on my own, really, and kinda feel bad for the Xen aliens now that they are practically extinct.

#8 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:57 AM

Nnihilanth was pretty morbid and scary, I would have killed him anyway. :P

System Shock 2 is recommended, although, once again, it can`t really be compared to PS:T; regardless the atmosphere is stunning and playing at night with the lights out is recommended, unless you`re having heart problems.

Fallout 2 was interesting and very enjoyable, while being very unpolished as well. It`s obvious that the team would have needed another good half a year to complete the game.

Neverwinter Nights` mod 'The Witch`s Wake' seems promising, but I haven`t played it yet and, unfortunately, I doubt the release of the second part.

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:59 AM

Nihilanth gives pretty much the most of the HL story away if you listen to what he says, and it's quite interesting, it makes me want to play Half-Life 2 to see what happens.

Ah, System Shock 2 beats anything in sheer scariness. Yes, play with the lights out to get all the fear factor. You'll wet yourself probably. :P It got so scarey at one point that I just went "Screw this, I'm going to bed."

#10 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:12 AM

Neverwinter Nights was ok but I've yet to play another game like Planescape: Torment. I must admit, however, Fallout 2 and the Baldur's Gate games consumed more of my time.

If only Interplay never stopped developing and publishing games of their quality. Ah well, that's life I suppose. There's a special place in hell waiting for the likes of Titus and EA.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#11 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:31 AM

What about replay value? PST is the game I've replayed more than any other.

#12 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:42 AM

It seems that every time I play through Torment I discover something new. In my last game I learnt that the Nameless One was the person responsible for turning the Lower Ward of Sigil into what it is (why can't the Nameless One live a single life without having an impact on the fate of the people around him?). I still haven't played through the game as a thief though.

I think I've played through Baldur's Gate 2 more times than all my other games put together. However, I'd love to play another game like Torment, or another RPG set in the same universe.

#13 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:05 AM

It seems that every time I play through Torment I discover something new. In my last game I learnt that the Nameless One was the person responsible for turning the Lower Ward of Sigil into what it is (why can't the Nameless One live a single life without having an impact on the fate of the people around him?). I still haven't played through the game as a thief though.

I think I've played through Baldur's Gate 2 more times than all my other games put together. However, I'd love to play another game like Torment, or another RPG set in the same universe.

There won't be another game in the Planescape setting unless somebody picks up the liscence. But Obsidian who are developing KotOR2 have a lot of the technical team from Torment on the books, including Chris Avellone - also they have Feargus Urqheart (sp?) from BG2.

#14 GreyViper

GreyViper
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

Deus Ex, System Shok 2, Fallout 1-2, Dusk of Gods, Veil of Darkness, Daggerfall, Bioforge, Death Gate the Game, Companions Of Xanth, Frederick Pohl'S Gateway (made by Legend in 1992).
Yeah its pitty that Thorn was canceled. :(
Say has anybody played game called King of Dragon Pass?
Democracy is three Dragons and a Cow voting on what's for dinner!

"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
Wooed women at every base,
But once ladies glanced at
His special enhancement
They vanished with nary a trace."

Barracks Graffiti
Sparta Command

#15 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

How about plot wise? Deus-Ex, KotOR, Vampire:Redemption spring to mind. I was very dissapointed with Morrowind though, I was hoping for a belivable living world but what I got was a hollow and, in the end pointless experience.
PST carried the "living, breathing world" off to a much better effect.

#16 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:46 PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Thief series. They're immersive, tense, and otherwise great games. The mission briefings/cutscenes (whichever word you prefer) have a delicious flavor I've never found elsewhere.

#17 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:55 AM

Whenever I think of System Shock 2 I always think of Thief 1-2 as well (especially the second one). They both have a special place in me heart.

I loved Morrowind, but I didn`t play it as much as I played BG2 because it doesn`t run that well on my computer. It`s power is in the mods available, trust me, when you play Morrowind with mods like Giants, Wilderness, Atmospheric Sound Effects, Marksmanship, Complete Morrowind, FPS Optimizer (which isn`t really a mod) and the likes -- it really proves to be an amazing experience.

#18 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:19 AM

Whenever I think of System Shock 2 I always think of Thief 1-2 as well (especially the second one). They both have a special place in me heart.

I loved Morrowind, but I didn`t play it as much as I played BG2 because it doesn`t run that well on my computer. It`s power is in the mods available, trust me, when you play Morrowind with mods like Giants, Wilderness, Atmospheric Sound Effects, Marksmanship, Complete Morrowind, FPS Optimizer (which isn`t really a mod) and the likes -- it really proves to be an amazing experience.

Ah, I have it for XBOX. The Thief series was groundbreaking, it created a whole new genre. Amazingly atmospheric as well. What about the upcoming Fable? Sounds fantastic, but maybe a bit too ambitious to pull it off?

#19 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:08 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Thief series.

Nothing can beat the Thief games when it comes to stealth gameplay IMO. I wonder how Thief III: Deadly Shadows will fare against the latest Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid games.

I also wonder what the mysterious Keepers are hiding from Garrett...

Edited by Longinus, 14 May 2004 - 04:24 AM.

#20 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:55 AM

I've never played Thief, how would you compare it against Splinter Cell (which I played and found amazing)?