Games comparable to Torment

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

Did-a-chick? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

• 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:14 AM

My views go with the "there will never be a comparison" after I played it and finished it I hated Black Isles for what they put the Namless One through and it isn't a happy ending no matter what you try :( I mean the simplest solution would have been "right I'm here to find out things now I've found out who I was in previous lives I want to go home with my friends" but when you try that option your motality says yes you will leave after I kill you :angry:

I've also got to say that I believe that the reason that it didn't sell well is becasue the general public is stupid and unthinking I mean Diablo II is fun to play, but only if you don't want to be force to think, Torment forces you to think in different paths to those that you normally do No offense to Half-life either I like I've played it and I want half-life 2 but the reason that it sold is because how much thought does it require to shoot something or use a switch or lever or something, the puzzles are much simpler and obvious, and there's less reading in fp games

I think it was the only ending possible. TNO deserved to be punished, he accepted that himself.

Belive it or not PS:T sold more than fallout.

#42 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:21 AM

it is a happy ending in a way hes finaly at peace with himself and ready to face who he truely is just bloody annoying non of us can face it and find out hehe

#43 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:43 AM

The one thing I really don't get is that he would be so (insert curse of choice) powerful that he'd be able to just rip his way through anything, so why is he stuck in hell for so long? wouldn't he be able to find a portal and just go through it? it's not as if he's actually dead, the Planes just finally are able to punish him for his crimes and drag him down

Edited by Dalis'ilhea, 21 May 2004 - 03:45 AM.

I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#44 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:50 AM

Because of what the first Incarnation did, TNO is damned for eternity.

#45 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:53 AM

So are Tanar'ri and bateuz but they can still use portals. Portals as far as I understand function for anyone as long as they have the required key. Gods Can't use portals to get into Sigil because of the Lady of Pain

(the reason I argue is because I like to think that the Namless one does get out)

Edited by Dalis'ilhea, 21 May 2004 - 03:54 AM.

I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

#46 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:02 AM

The power of the Blood War eclipses that of TNO. If he were somehow to escape the fiends would track him down. It's possible that TNO loses all his power when he dies and is just a normal petioner.

#47 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:05 AM

He doesn't acutally die is the thing, and any person who is powerful enough, actually keeps his form and all his knowlege and you arn't going to tell me that the Nameless one isn't more powerful than a pit fiend or a lord a level of Baator

#48 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:14 AM

Depends on the fiend I suppose. Regardless he is damned to the lower plains when he dies, hence the reason why he is sucked into Hell.

"Because if we die, *truly* die..." The incarnation looks up at you, and his eyes are like steel. "Death's kingdom will *not* be paradise, not for us. If you spoke to these others that were here, know that a fraction of the evil of their lives is but a drop of water compared to the evil of mine. That life, that one life, even *without* the thousands of others, has given a seat in the Lower Planes for eternity."

I suppose it could be possible that he could trick his way out, like how FFG escapes from the Abyss.

#49 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:21 AM

I think that if he was to die there would be reprecusions throughout he planes, Afterall Hid mortality says the he can forge planes with his power, Not even the gods can do that.

and to explain A lord of baator is near becoming a demi-god compared to ordinary mortals (a demi-god is still a god so would easily squash any lord of baator or the abyss (demogorgan for example)

#50 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:26 AM

Even if he could do that, I don't think he would want to. IMO He has accepted his fate, hence the reason he just picks up an axe at the end and wanders into the pack of fiends. He knows that planes have suffered enough because of him and would'nt want to do any more damage. But that's just my opinion, the ending is up for interpritation.

#51 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:37 AM

I've got the feeling that the planes couldn't exist without him for some reason, I don't know why I feel that but I do

#52 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:41 AM

On the contary, the planes would be better off without him. They are dying because of him.

#53 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:43 AM

Life cannot exist without death and it would seem that The Nameless One is the embodyment of Death as the golum in the siege engine says if the planes seal themselves against entrophy they die a different death

#54 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:46 AM

But everytime TNO dies, someone must die in his place. Assuming that TNO has died thousands of times that's a lot of innocents sent to their deaths because of TNO - not life.

#55 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:50 AM

I said he's death not life, people I believe manage to create life themselves, besides the power that sustains him goes for the closest, not the innocent, so in theory if he was murdered by a thief then that thief dies and the Nameless one comes back to life

#56 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

• 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:00 AM

I don't think that the closest person to the TNO dies, the only time that would happen if there was nobody else for death to take. But the ritual was flawed, the casting of shadows was not supposed to happen.

EDIT~ The casting of the shadows was not a flaw, it was a problem - the memory loss was the flaw

Edited by The Amazing Maurice, 21 May 2004 - 06:04 AM.

#57 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:03 AM

The shadows of stolen lifes hmmm that sounds good

#58 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:49 AM

Sanitarium. Again, just an adventure game but oh so much more. Play it in the dark with the sound up.

#59 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:41 PM

That's why modders seem to make a better job creating/modifying a game than the actual companies. While companies go for mostly the money, modders go for the entertainment and passion.

-Galactygon

:o You mean we don't get paid for this!? (cancels mod)
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#60 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:24 AM

Have King of Dragon Pass/Glorantha, never got around to playing it.
Played BG2 more than any other IE game, have all of them but BG1 disc 4 not working and I don't install games half-way...
IWD2 was evil. Evil in that your character almost didn't mean diddly squat in the end.
I didn't get into Planescape because: 1. too dark on my monitor (is there a gamma switch for this game alone? (noob question)
2. can't see the doors since too dark sometimes (is there something like a small mod for Torment that makes the Tab key work like in BG2?)
3. is there any difference between the Baldur's Gate: The Original saga and Planescape Torment RE-RELEASES versus their first-version (5cds/4cds)?
4. Thanks for keeping the IE flying!
5. Maybe try Omikron: The Nomad Soul for another atmospheric game!