Photo

Gods!

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#81 GreyViper

GreyViper
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:25 AM

I assume you mean just the greater powers of the Forgotten Realms? Currently (1373 in the Realms), there's Angharradh, Corellon Larethian, Moradin, Yondalla, Garl Glittergold, Akadi, Bane, Chauntea, Cyric, Grumbar, Istishia, Kelemvor, Kossuth, Lathander, Mystra, Oghma, Shar, Silvanus, Sune, Talos, Tempus, and Tyr.

No mention of CHARNAME, bhaal spawn wanabe. Hes not mentioned anywhere so I asume he gave his portfoile away? Btw I havent read the Bhaal saga books so mybe it was cleared there. ;)
Democracy is three Dragons and a Cow voting on what's for dinner!

"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
Wooed women at every base,
But once ladies glanced at
His special enhancement
They vanished with nary a trace."

Barracks Graffiti
Sparta Command

#82 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:48 AM

An ascended CHARNAME would almost certainly be a demipower, not a greater power :).

#83 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:16 AM

I don't know how current this is, but it always helped me out:

http://www.daggerfor...ford/frgods.htm
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#84 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:24 AM

I believe that list's pretty much accurate, though it still lists Waukeen as missing and doesn't even mention Velsharoon. And it spells 'dwarven' as 'drawyen' :P.

#85 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:46 AM

An ascended CHARNAME would almost certainly be a demipower, not a greater power :).

Why ?

And, in general, when a human becomes a deity (for instance, Cyric), what his rank depends of ? I mean, what criterias decide if that human becomes a demipower, lesser power or something even more powerful ?

#86 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:58 AM

Your divine status depends entirely on the number of worshippers you have. Cyric rose in rank so quickly because he took most of Bhaal, Bane and Myrkul's old followers, but since the PC isn't replacing any gods, he wouldn't have any such luck.

There are a still a handful of Bhaal worshippers who didn't switch to a different god when he died, and they may well convert to an evil CHARNAME once he ascended, but they're very few in number.

So if the PC wanted to start of as anything less than a demipower, he'd have to go around gathering worshippers before he ascended. Otherwise he'd have to work his way up the ranks.

#87 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

So if the PC wanted to start of as anything less than a demipower, he'd have to go around gathering worshippers before he ascended.  Otherwise he'd have to work his way up the ranks.

Start with a little light turning water into wine, maybe a small thunderstorm or two, smiting the slightly annoying (can't just start off with the wicked, that takes serious mojo), maybe onto some plagues of mice (cheaper than rats, and easier to transport) . . .

Then, on to the mid-level industrial godding. Helping forgetful people find their keys, school-children who need to pass tests or get picked for a team, the healing of hang-overs, weight loss counselling . . .

Then, if CHARNAME is lucky, HE/SHE gets HIS/HER chance! It's Trademeet United playing agains Nashkel and the game is close! Adams is looking quite good today, but both Beckham and Schmeichel will be playing for Trademeet, and the crowd smells blood! Only a miracle will let Nashkel win right now, the cry goes up to the heavens, and CHARNAME is there! NASHKEL WINS! NASHKEL WINS! The fans start to riot, arms and legs everywhere, its madness! Oh CHARNAME, praise CHARNAME!

And that's how CHARNAME becomes a Greater Power.

Edited by BobTokyo, 02 July 2004 - 03:45 AM.

#88 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

So how does the story of Baldur's gate go by FR, is the character evil or good in the books and does he give p the power?

I think he gave it up to be with Jaheira but I'm not sure tbh.
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#89 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:58 AM

Ao worshipers exist, but no, no divine spellcasters--Ao doesn't grant spells.

Bhaal was never a Greater Power (he was Intermediate), so even if Ao made the PC immediately as powerful as Bhaal was, the PC would still not be a Greater Power.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#90 MERLANCE

MERLANCE
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:56 PM

So how does the story of Baldur's gate go by FR, is the character evil or good in the books and does he give p the power?

I think he gave it up to be with Jaheira but I'm not sure tbh.

Abdel Adrian is a chaotic good fighter. I think.

He gives up the power, I cant remember why.

Imoen is murdered by Sendai, and Jaheira is dragon chow, so he didnt give up the power to be with either of them.

Abdel basically walks off into the sunset at the end of the book, to form his own legacy, and not being known as the bhaalspawn.

Edited by MERLANCE, 02 July 2004 - 12:57 PM.

#91 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:44 PM

Ao worshipers exist, but no, no divine spellcasters--Ao doesn't grant spells.

I read somewhere that Ao recently removed knowledge of his own existence from the minds of non - deities, so they do not even know of him any more.

But definitely, yeh, there have been cults of Ao. Even though, as Kish says, he doesn't grant spells.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#92 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

So how many divine ranks would the Lady of Pain have in Sigil?
I know she has no worshipers there so would she be anywhere near the power AO has?
Magus: "If history is to change, let it change! If their world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!"

Vash: "Normally when you buy an old, used bike, you're supposed to repair it before riding it!"
Wolfwood: "Are you dissing my beautiful shiny Angelina II?!?"
Vash: "I'm dissing YOU, not your stupid broken bike!"

It's all happening here

#93 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:40 PM

ehhh the lady is a plot device to keep the twinks at bay.... you can maze anyone who is trying despite all your efforts to be a munchkin and say the lady did it.....
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#94 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:55 PM

in Neverwinter nights: shadows of unrentide there is a small cult of ao worshippers in the araunoch desert. They simply follow out of faith rather than possible rewards.

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#95 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:23 AM

The Lady of Pain has no divine ranks.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#96 raptor

raptor
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 05:08 PM

The Baldurs Gate series doesnt seem to hold any influence over teh happenings in FR; in other words it doesnt seem like they included it much in the story. I recal i saw Bhaal "made hes move" on the timeline, but that was about it.

The mentioning of those books brought back bad memories, i only ever read the BG1 book, but its the only book ever i have been happy someone actually stole from me.

#97 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:09 AM

Actually, there are a few events in the BG novels that are cannon. For example, IIRC Entar Silvershield being assassinated is considered part of the official timeline.

#98 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:51 AM

Before Time of Troubles, what criterias decided the power of a god ?

#99 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:27 AM

I guess it was what power Ao actually gave them, their mortal power would depend on how many mortals they could win over to their side.

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#100 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:11 PM

The breadth of the god's portfolio. Greater Powers covered massive concepts and didn't care how many worshipers they had.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan