29 replies to this topic

#21 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:45 AM

Did I hear somebody call for a paladin? :D

(e.g., Viconia, gets a symbol of Talos instead of Shar)

Yup, she sure does - which is a bit of a bugger when in my first run through ToB she got the symbol literally FIVE MINUTES before she "changed her moral perspective" so-to-speak, thereby rendering it totally unuseable. :rolleyes: ... hehe, life's a byatch! :)

But if you just want to see RTW, create a paladin in ToB and summon some NPC fiends you like

NPC "fiends" with a paladin huh?... I've heard of "keep your friends close but your enemies closer" but I think that is taking it a bit too far... LOL! :lol: (apologies, by the way - I usually think it is rude and petty to pick on typing errors, but that one was just too priceless!)

One other point in support of cleric/mages, by the way - yes, they get much fewer high level spells than single- or dual-classed characters, but don't forget their ability to put clerical spells in contingencies and spell triggers. Sensible use of those babies can be extremely useful!

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#22 chevalier des Trois-Tours

chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 08:11 AM

Finally I can post thanks to Neil :).

Raistlin: you get one from Tymora priest to give Umberlee priestesses for removing the geas from the guy who tried to kill you (you keep it he dies), the second one is under Candlekeep and the last one placed on some altar in ToSC.

Stats? Well, my last paladin was

STR 19 (forgotten when playing with Lum's machine)
DEX 12
CON 12
INT 14
WIS 21 (red 22 for the Hell)
CHA 19 (red 20 for the Hell)

I don't know why my brother thinks it's strange... Maybe because he wants super-tanks (and if you have even the same con stat, the greater sum total the less HP you get at the beginning) and I prefer PCs more like myself.

And yes, I do spend too much time on RPG, not only BG confusing this with or prefering this to reality sometimes. Even the 'chevalier des trois-Tours' is something real styled (French-like or sometimes in other languages, English, Spanish, German, Latin etc) in RPG fashion by my friends. Semper connectus! :D
In the year of Our Lord two thousand and second at the seventh day of December the saint Ganeo did from heaven descend and unto the noble lord Lucas such he spoke words, lowering the holy arm in which he held the chalice: 'Pious paladin and beloved son of mine. Take ye the very chalice and upon his flowing streams found ye this noble order'. This said, the saint extended the holy arm in which he held the chalice and bade him drink. When the noble lord Lucas received the last drop, the saint raised the holy arm in which he held the chalice and blessed the order.

[frater Dormitius 'De illustribus conditoribus ordinis equestris sancti Ganeonis']

#23 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 08:24 AM

Do me a favour, please: In avatar settings there's an URL to specify for the picture file. Has it be somewhere over the net or can I somehow upload my own picture?
In the year of Our Lord two thousand and second at the seventh day of December the saint Ganeo did from heaven descend and unto the noble lord Lucas such he spoke words, lowering the holy arm in which he held the chalice: 'Pious paladin and beloved son of mine. Take ye the very chalice and upon his flowing streams found ye this noble order'. This said, the saint extended the holy arm in which he held the chalice and bade him drink. When the noble lord Lucas received the last drop, the saint raised the holy arm in which he held the chalice and blessed the order.

[frater Dormitius 'De illustribus conditoribus ordinis equestris sancti Ganeonis']

#24 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 09:26 AM

You can upload it. I can't remember how, but I uploaded mine. Its not tough, just take a better look.

Now I'm just at the point where I can't decide which PC to use. It'll be a mage, fighter/cleric or fighter.

I like fighters, but the problem with them is they never seem powerful enough to be worthy of becoming a god. Any fighter would get slaughtered mercilessly by any mage that knows what they're doing. I'd prefer to just pick up NPC fighters, it always seems more suitable.

A Fighter/Cleric would probably be fun, but I'm not too big on Cleric ethos weapons. A Cleric dual-wielding war hammers might be fun, but I'm still not sure.

A Mage is always fun. The power a mage can possess if pure class by the end is immense. I went with a Fighter/Mage in my good party and she was fun, but I'd still prefer a pure caster. Its too bad Mages can't cast more spells though, 5 per level seems low compared to a Cleric.

I'm probably posting this in the wrong place, because everyone here seem to be Paladin-lovers. Which class do you think would best suit the incarnation of evil that the Bhaalspawn will undoubtedly be?

#25 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 11:46 AM

I'm probably posting this in the wrong place, because everyone here seem to be Paladin-lovers. Which class do you think would best suit the incarnation of evil that the Bhaalspawn will undoubtedly be?

There will almost certainly be as many answers to this as there are hanging chads on the floor of the Miami voting office!

In my humble opinion, if you want to go for awful-powerful-big-bad-with-nasty-pointy-teeth then you can't do much better than the Cheese-meister's favourite - the old evil human kensai dual-classed to mage at 9th level. That way you've got the hit points, strength and raw fighting power "hidden" behind the facade of the typical evil power-hungry wizard.

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#26 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 11:50 AM

I suppose something deadly, like kensai dualled to mage on 13 lev would suit fine. And a propos that 'pure caster' thing: you don't have to wait for all worthy bonuses (13 lev), you can choose 9 lev which is 225.000 for a fighter - one level down at most late in Tob or even dual just as you create the PC in SoA, 64000. And if you consider going through BG1 also - only 2 lev is required to dual. You thus don't lose anything (1250 exp) but have the opportunity to get as many proficiency slots as you desire for a priest and even the opportunity to use any weapon if a mage is considered. Something like Nalia who is a 4 lev thief (5000 exp only) and so is able to use katana, which is more deadly than a 2H sword. Think of it, but is indeed a (mostly) paladin forum... I suppose I should Detect Evil and then do something about the results. God guide my blade! :rolleyes:

#27 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 11:56 AM

Aha, Raistlin: thanks for the avatar stuff. I noticed now the upload button. Damn, I'm dead blind sometimes. Now I only have to find some knight and change the face... Uh, hate that bloody dot by dot clicking on enlarged screen, esp. removing glasses.

#28 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:00 PM

Sir Kalthorine: This was not a spelling mistake. I don't make spelling mistakes. Maybe in ancient Greek sometimes. I thought of a PC in general and more specifically of the one Raistlin was to create i.e. someone really evil and really powerful. Besides, I didn't mean 'friends', do believe me.
You're welcome anyway :D and thanks for your Cavallier support at the poll.

#29 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:44 PM

A kensai-mage may be powerful in BG2, but I can't really see how it would imply what I'm talking about.

Now that I think about it, I guess it just depends on how you look at the character. I was going to use Sarevok as an example of someone who would "best suit the incarnation of evil that the Bhaalspawn will undoubtedly be", but he's a fighter. Any character can suit the role (I know I'm contradicting myself, change of opinion).

The mage in my portrait or Sauron (from LotR) is kinda what I'm looking for.

#30 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 06:16 AM

Cuv: I thought over some questions we spoke of, like that of PC's being (to be) knighted or not and I've come to some conclusion. I'm ready to share the outcome...