Tools needed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -Irish-

-Irish-

Posted 11 November 2002 - 04:56 PM

I would like to know if the current version of "WeiDu" is complete unto itself without the need of other programs such as "near infinity" etc. to tackle all 3rd party endevours concerning BG2/TOB?

#2 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:13 PM

You'll want to stock up with some other tools. WeiDU does a lot, but for things like item creation, script writing, and debugging, you need some help.

Near Infinity is a must. I like to use Infinity Explorer to help debug dialogues as well (infexp.sourceforge.net), and with those, you can do just about anything.

www.teambg.com has some other tools, of primary interest would be IETME which you'll want if you edit areas, and IEEP if you want a different approach to item and spell creation than Near Infinity provides.

#3 -Irish-

-Irish-

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the response.

So if I understand your comments, the "IEEP & IETME" programs are not compatiable with "WeiDU & Near Infinity" ? Just alternatives to doing the same thing.?

#4 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 11 November 2002 - 08:04 PM

Mmmm, no, that's not right.

An item made in IEEP (provided it's made correctly, of course) is compatible with the game and therefore compatible with Near Infinity, it's just another way to reach the same destination. You could make the same item in NI or IEEP, it's just a different front-end for doing so.

IETME is fairly unique, although there was an earlier attempt to do something similar called ICM.

Near Infinity makes it easy to edit a variety of filetypes, including scripts, area descriptions, saved game files, etc... it's very much a Swiss Army knife.

WeiDU's strengths are in dialogue editing and in module packaging and installation, since it can non-destructively alter most file types.

#5 japheth

japheth

Codewalker

• 317 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 08:08 PM

IEEP (Infinity Engine Editor Pro), just provides a more friendly way of creating/editing items, spells and stores. You *can* do this with Near Infinity, but I find it easier myself to use IEEP.

IETME (Infinity Engine Tileset Map Editor) is the premier area editing tool if you want to make some serious changes to areas. Near Infinity can make minor ones, but you can't create a whole new area from scratch with Near Infinity.

None of these tools are "compatible" with one another, although WeiDU compliments NI quite nicely and vice versa. Some, like Near Infinity and WeiDU, cover a broad scope of IE editing, while others, like IETME are primarily focused on one or two things. (In IETME's case, it's area editing.)
Check out BG1Tutu.

#6 -Irish-

-Irish-

Posted 11 November 2002 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the clarification.