Keldorn

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:14 AM

Maria running away with William and Keldorn then turning for the PC is a no-no IMO because:

1. As Domi pointed out Maria and William are good people. *I* don't believe that Maria ever was unfaithful to Keldorn as one might understand unfaithfulness in it's most common form (ie. having sex). I think that William and she shared companionship and maybe there was even hand holding. *gasp* In her mind that was of course unfaithful enough, especially if she daydreamed of something more sinister. *horror*

2. Even if we scratch 1. we are still stuck with Keldonr being a good man and the fact that altered Maria might wrong him direly (run away with someone else) does not give him right to do the same. Assuming that he follows a very strict code of honor. In an over simplified example you might say, that if guy from next door robs a bank, it does not mean that you can do the same. (Even if it's *your* bank he robs.) ;)

And if we scratch 2. and Keldorn's honor - who wants to romance him then anyway? :P

Edited by Meira, 21 June 2004 - 10:15 AM.

Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#22 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:55 AM

I'd LOVE to see Jan's romance for a gnome female, but Jan does love Lyssa, and the amount of text for his romance would be out of this world. WHich combined with the fact that there are not many good Jan writers out there makes it near impossible.

yeah.... maybe that's where I should get my wings.... doing banter packs for Jan
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#23 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 12:00 PM

I'd LOVE to see Jan's romance for a gnome female, but Jan does love Lyssa, and the amount of text for his romance would be out of this world. WHich combined with the fact that there are not many good Jan writers out there makes it near impossible.

yeah.... maybe that's where I should get my wings.... doing banter packs for Jan

Viconia's romance wasnt ever fully realised.... maybe something like hers could work.

Say for instance have it so after Maria ran out he does fall in love but fails to go for it out of the fact that he would find it wrong. In other words you can make him have feelings for you... and change his ending... but he would say, leave the group because things were getting "too heavy" for him.

it's an idea...
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#24 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:30 PM

There would, I agree, be no point in romancing Keldorn without his honor. That would defeat the purpose. However, his older child is approximately 20 or so. She is still living at home, but she is an adult. (Keldorn mentions to Immy--who is our fellow-Bhaalspawn and the same age as we are. "I'm as old as Charname!"--that he has a daughter about that age. This is the pick-pocket exchange in ToB.) Why would she not take her younger sister?

Anyway, I also agree with Domi that argument is not what is discouraging to a mod-maker. It is lack of response.

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#25 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 21 June 2004 - 04:58 PM

"I'm as old as Charname!"--that he has a daughter about that age. This is the pick-pocket exchange in ToB.) Why would she not take her younger sister?

Because they have a living father and because it would be terribly unfair to demand that from a girl in her late teens, when Keldorn should be actively seeking a proper marriage for her and taking her to showcase to balls etc. That has a potential of effectively turning PC into an evil step-mother and the girl into Cinderella. And I simply cannot see the girl offering such a sacrifice on her own to indulge her father's affair after his unattentiveness killed her mother.

#26 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

Well, to all fans of Keldorn out there - the Keldorn Romance I was talking about is still being written :) It is being done in Russian though but if the author would wishes, it I'd gladly do translation after it is finished :)

#27 Xander77

Xander77

Freak Boy

• 436 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:23 PM

domi - I'm of the opinion that not every mod NEEDS to be done. All the Korgan redemptions and Khalid romances...

It is being done in Russian though but if the author would wishes, it I'd gladly do translation after it is finished :)

Linky? I might help with the translation...

Edited by Xander77, 22 June 2004 - 03:25 PM.

Мы должны как раз дать эту хромающую страну к русским. Они awesome! Идет Nader! Кустик и Kerry имеют придурковатые weasels в их кальсонах!

#28 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:57 PM

I would be interested! ;)

Though, after our online discussion, I do think the only way to properly romance Keldorn would be to re-write his family quest so that he does not have a family of his own! (Sister-in-law and nieces, say?)

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#29 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:22 PM

It is being done in Russian though but if the author would wishes, it I'd gladly do translation after it is finished :)

Linky? I might help with the translation...

I think it's time for me to tactfully step back and say: "Author on the stage!" since I ado not know how muchthe person wants spoiled/publicized.

domi - I'm of the opinion that not every mod NEEDS to be done. All the Korgan redemptions and Khalid romances...

It is very individual what a person consider feasible and what - not. So if someone is willing to work on a sewer golem romance - all the power to them. Feedbacking and downloading is the user's way of voicing his/her opinion. F.ex. Khalid romance imo is just as valid as Jaheira's from the way I saw their relationship in BG1. The fact that BioWARE disagrees with me does not change my opinion.

#30 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:56 PM

I would be interested! ;)

Though, after our online discussion, I do think the only way to properly romance Keldorn

Just out of curiosity how you (or anyone else) determine a 'proper romance'? I'm not trying nit pick here, I just curious what sort of general story arch people except when speaking of an NPC romance. :)
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#31 Sillara

Sillara

• 537 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:08 AM

I am a romantic, and I meant a fall-in-love-get-married-live-happily-ever-after type of romance. So perhaps Lady Maria and kids could get altered into, say, Keldorn's sister-in-law and nieces? That way he would be available for the lovely PC to attract. ;)

Sillara

Edited by Sillara of the Tamari, 23 June 2004 - 02:38 AM.

Check out my RPG forum!

#32 neriana

neriana
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:24 AM

Why not just create another middle-aged male paladin to romance? The person you're talking about is not Keldorn as far as I can tell, and it sounds like way too much work and not a very good idea to change his family.

#33 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:38 AM

Because creating a new NPC and trying to expand on the existing one are two different venues. Some people are more interested in the second approach. I do agree, however, that swaping Keldorn's family is a radical change to the character and will stick out as badly as Imoen=Bhaalspawn.

#34 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

Incredible, unstoppable titan of terror!

• 1123 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:22 AM

Seifer:
Keldorn takes pride in his role as an inquisitor and this fuels his passion as a paladin but draws strength from his marraige as a different entity entirely, as a MAN not a paladin.

Domi:
Erm... I do not think so. If he did, Maria would not be seeing him once in a few months. Men who draw their strength from a family just do not do that.

So overall I do not find your argument convincing enough 

Seifer:
Just as you questioned how I see Keldorn, now I do so for you. You maybe looking at Keldorn through feminine eyes which is of course all that you can do but I also believe that you are looking at the right traits in the wrong manner. If you answer honestly, and again, no insult is meant in this, is there any argument that I can place forward that you would see as acceptable which doesn't result in my agreeing to how possible it is to romance him?

With all respect, Seifer, I have to say that what you told Domi here comes across as very patronizing. Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but what you have basically told her is that seeing Keldorn through feminine eyes makes it impossible to view his actions and intentions correctly, maybe even objectively. More than that, you are implying (indirectly or directly, as you will) that feminine eyes view Keldorn's lack of time at home as a fault because feminine eyes ... what? Are you trying to say that feminine eyes can only view issues through the abjectly maternal? Are you trying to say that women can't understand devotion to one's career?

With this comment you not only do disservice to women who are not so "domesticated," or who are more inclined to be logically minded. You also do disservice to those men who sacrifice aspects of their careers, or their careers altogether for the sake of spending time with their family. (Case in point, a stay-at-home Dad I know personally)

The real problem is that there are two polarized views of Keldorn in this thread, neither of which accurately reflects the whole picture.

Keldorn can be a strong, honorable paladin without being in love with his wife. Torm is not a god of love, he's a god of duty. The performance of duty doesn't necessarily have to have heart behind it. It's more meaningful when it does so, however there are times when duty is performed *in spite of* how you feel. Irl ppl who do that are admired for their strength character and self-discipline. I doubt that Faerum would view it another way, and it's entirely conceivable that Torm would honor that kind of self-sacrifice as well.

Was Keldorn a good husband? Well, probably not in our modern definition of the concept. That doesn't mean he's a bad or evil man, or a dishonorable priest of Torm. That just means that he & Maria have lost the ability & perhaps even the desire to communicate what the other needs. Maria could have been asking him to spend more time at home for years. Keldorn could have started staying at the Radiant Heart because he grew tired of his wife nagging him about his job & duties.

But let's face a salient fact, here. Keldorn was staying well within commuting distance from home. Just a short walk. He could have been residing at home & still been "on the spot" for whatever duties required him to be at the RH.

But here he was living in the adjacent district, and Maria hadn't seen him in two months before the time you & your party went with him to see his family the first time in game?

They couldn't even have sent someone with a note to find out what was up with the other? ... Please.

His children spend lesspellholdstudios.nets than two minutes in his company, and their reactions were not what you would expect toward a parent they had any bond or affection toward. They referred to their "uncle" with more affection than Keldorn.

In most circumstances, when a (minor) child loses affection for a parent, it's not the child's fault for having disconnected that bond. Would you say that's because Keldorn was too busy to have established that bond? Well, I have a brother in the military ... he was gong to both Bosnia & Kosovo as well as on various non-deployed training missions while stationed in Germany. He was often away from home, but his daughter managed to retain her active well ... in his case ... adoration of him. Recently, he has begun to lose that even though he's not been deployed on any training missions. Why? Because his daughter knows when Dad is away because he has to be & when Dad is away because he is unhappy. And they don't need to be told the difference.

Regarding Keldon's verbal affirmations of his affection for his family ... well, actions speak louder than words. I believe that he has convinced himself of what he tells others because he wants to believe it for himself. But sometimes ppl lie to themselves in order to get by, or get through.

Does this make Keldorn evil? Does this make Keldorn a bad knight?

No, I believe this is just proof of Seifer's point that he is a MAN ... that is, he's HUMAN. He has faults. His god favors him because he fulfills his duties, but no god expects their follows to be what they cannot -- that is, perfect.

I think Keldorn took the easy way out of dealing with this family problems, whatever they were, by residing a district away rather than have to figure out the complications happening at home.

But I also believe that he is an honorable paladin of Torm who believes in his god and who genuinely works very hard to uphold his duties and his assignments.

Where does a romance fit in that? *shrug*

I don't know. But Keldorn wouldn't be the only "good" man or woman whose family life (s/he assumes) is stable, but who is bored or in some way even mildly dissatisfied, to have been bowled over by an extraordinary new person in his/her life (as the PC, if nothing more than just coping with being Bhaalspawn would be). There?s a reason that the line ?my <insert gf/bf or husband/wife> doesn?t understand me? is a cliché, and Keldorn has more reason than most to rationalize to himself that the PC would understand him more than his wife.

*edited to make the above paragraph apply to both genders, coz it?s true either way*

To remain a paladin, this relationship would never be able to be consummated physically. However, sometimes the most heartfelt loves are those you can never fully attain.

Such is the medieval concept of "chivalry" btw. The romantic love in a truly medieval romance was between a knight and & lady who could never sully the perfection of their feelings with physical expression. Either he would be married, or she would be married. Or there would be some other insurmountable obstacle in their way. But marriages between the genteel, or the noble, were invariably arranged, and therefore it was widely assumed that your love match would most likely not be who you were married to. Being a good spouse had nothing to do with that kind of romantic concept. Only the very poor had that kind of luxury ... if their parents allowed & hadn't made plans themselves.

Just a bit of trivia from an old English lit. major.

That's my 2 cents ... er, maybe a quarter by now, though. ;)

Edited by Plasmocat, 13 July 2004 - 12:06 PM.

All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#35 Thrain

Thrain
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:59 PM

with all due respect, merely being female and growing up in a society where social influence plays a big factor will affect the way a lot of women see Keldorn. But that's psychology and we don't want to get into that.

The fact remains that Keldorn IS a man of duty. He is noble and loyal, we see that in his actions throughout the game. I believe that, even though Maria leaves him (or is put in prison), Keldorn's character and personal experience do not lend to a romance mod at all.

Look at the other romance's available in the vanilla game:
  • Aerie: helpless. you are like a knight in shining armour. Her reliance on you leads to love (something which she has NOT experienced before)
  • Jaheira: a perhaps unfeasible romance pushed by bioware but regardless, she has lost a loved one and turns to you for support, using you as an emotional crutch if you will. Yes she is still strong and independant, but the support you give her develops into feelings.
  • Viconia: regardless of how you look at it, Viconia's romance shows the breakdown of a woman used to strength and being dominant. In a society where she is alone, isolated and reviled, she cannot handle the pressure and breaks down when compassion is shown at the right time by CHARNAME. She is shown how to be strong.
  • Anomen: he may be arrogant, pompous and self-righteous but looking at the dialogues, you find a man who is insecure about himself and requires you to propel him towards the test, you even have to make the choice for him. He cannot decide which course of action to take over his sister without you.
This is not Keldorn
Keldorn believes in his loyalty and his duty. He doesn't need you as an emotional crutch, he follows you in the course of his duty and the oath he makes to you. Because of his faith in Torm and his duties, he will consider his marriage vows as sacred, whether Maria has left him or not. Perhaps this is my interpretation of his honour coming through but i simply cannot see how you can make Keldorn a romanceable character without changing the family situation (which, in my opinion, detracts from both the quest and his character).

#36 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:15 PM

I don't particularly care if Keldorn is romancable or not. You misunderstand my point of view *assuming* that was the goal of my answer because all you saw was the perspective of my sex.

My point is that Keldorn is a paladin, not a saint. Unless you want to restrict him into the 2-dimensional function of a Marty-Stu, then given a properly written, well-characterized story ... anything could plausibly happen.

Why?

Because at the end of the day, he's human.

Does that mean I think he's dishonorable? No. That actually gives him credit for maintaining his honor despite the circumstances he finds himself in.

Like Domi, I see no difference in assigning him a romance any more than, say, Cernd. With Cernd, if you write the mod in canon, you have to make him the kind of man who would abandon his small child in order to traispe about the countryside with you. Is that honorable?

I guess that depends on your definition of "honor." But my point is that no matter whose character you change for whatever mod ... you're changing the canon. You're changing the story. To complain about it not being "faithful" to the story is at least ironic, if not hypocritical.

Edited by Plasmocat, 13 July 2004 - 02:17 PM.

All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#37 Thrain

Thrain
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:27 PM

To complain about it not being "faithful" to the story is at least ironic, if not hypocritical.

if this was aimed at me, i do apologise for not putting my point across correctly. in my opinion, in order to change Keldorn into a romanceable character, you would have to change his character, perhaps even how he views things, which is more than simply changing the canon, it is making Keldorn.......not Keldorn

#38 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:37 PM

And my point is that to ignore the facts as they are written in the story regarding Keldorn's family situation and to assign him more immunity to fault than he really has (as an imperfect human being) is just another version of the kind of subjective character skewing that those wanting to romance him are accused of doing.

This is my opinion as a writer, and I would say it's not a secret that I'm not one who is particularly tied to the laws of canon writing for fan fiction (not just with BG, but in general. But that's another discussion ... )

(aside: I don't mean to come across as all agressive or anything, btw. I'm a strong-minded person who's used to putting things out there in a very straight-forward manner. While I believe what I said in the most basic sense, I certainly meant no offense & apologize if any was taken.)

#39 Zanari

Zanari
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:31 AM

When I am playing BG or BG2 it is hard not to get wraped up into the story and the Characters of this game and I say again GAME....
It is just a game people.Now having said this I think that you should do and feel whatever you want about whatever Character you want including Romance with anyone....IE (Drizzt,Khalid,Keldorn,Jaheria etc....

Having said that I will also say.
THANKYOU to all the wonderful modders who make these GAMES very enjoyable and worth playing over and over again(its like playing something new each time,the load screen pops up)

Edited by Zanari, 30 October 2005 - 12:07 PM.