Photo

Anyone want to make a community campaign setting?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 bardsidhe

bardsidhe
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:17 PM

I know I am new here (this being my first day) but I love the ideas in this site
and I want to add my 2 cents worth.

in relation to the Magic systems, I have played in my campaigns, a wizard with a Kit (as it were) from the official magazines called a path wizard. I wont reprint the exact info, but it is avaible on the CD-Rom archive released some time back.

basicly the wizards spells are all related, to progress to the next level, he must learn a spell based on a spell he already has learned, while this has limitation in the core rules system, in an open system of magic (remember the DMG does allow for one to make custom spells) it works great, this system can be
Mana based or book based, it can even apply to Psionics and Deity Given Magic.

also this promotes a player to come up with thier own spells, instead of really being a BOOK mage.

(why use only the spells given when the rules allow for so much more ?)

#42 Shadow Angel

Shadow Angel
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:08 PM

On the topic of an antimagic group, I present the Primistal

This regious cult promotes the idea that civilization is harmful to all speices. As a result, they take an active hand in trying to roll back the spread of civilization. Their efforts range form arrow attacks on woodcutters to the rare massive attacks of wild animals that sweep from the unclaimed jungles and overrun villages and even some small towns.

As a reward, their gods grant them resistance to arcane magic, about 5% every two levels, this works against spells they cast also. At higher levels, they engage in mystic rituals to awaken the beast within, effectively becoming lycanthropes of whatever animals live in the local terrain. In turn this makes the cultists targets for powerful magic-users for spell componets and research. And in turn, the cult attepts to drive off or kill all such spell casters as an example of the true evils of civilization.

Due to a lack of perminent reteats, most of their weapons are of wood and stone, where they can find it, with the occasional stolen weapons crafted by the various cultures. This lack of offisive might has resulted in most members to take up divine spellcasting in order to return the world to holy nature.

Edited by Shadow Angel, 04 July 2004 - 10:56 PM.

#43 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 04:08 AM

I suppose some new spells would be in order for this new world? ^_^
here's one off the top of my head,
Astral Flash
The caster concentrates the raw power in the area above his head into a sphere of light, when the caster has collected enough of the raw power he releases it all in one blinding flash. All creatures in the area around the caster looking at the sphere or caster are instantly blinded for one turn (no saving throw) and have 50% spell casting failure for one turn (no saving throw). :edwin:

Basic, yes, but when all the races are made unique spells for each could be made (even if only one)
Magus: "If history is to change, let it change! If their world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!"

Vash: "Normally when you buy an old, used bike, you're supposed to repair it before riding it!"
Wolfwood: "Are you dissing my beautiful shiny Angelina II?!?"
Vash: "I'm dissing YOU, not your stupid broken bike!"

It's all happening here

#44 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:25 AM

Trags
Description : Large hairy sloth like beasts. Intellegent and strong but very slow. They are blind but see using soundwaves. One ear higher than the other (usually right but everytime a child is born with a left ear higher than the right... they become a priest)

+1 str
+2 int
-2 dex
-1 cha

Can be fighters, mages, priests, martial artists and can multiclass like this
IE fighter/priest, fighter/mage, priest/martial artist, mage/martial artist,

special abilities: Sonar (like infravision except)
rendered completely blind when deafness is used on them
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#45 cmyster

cmyster
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 12:13 PM

Maybe some futuristic races?

Imagine a platoon of Drow elves armed with magical weapons and clerics against a platoon of Borg in a battle to the death (they will be assimilated, resistance is futile?)
[FONT=Times][SIZE=1]
Thus it was that Rincewind,hurrying through the crowded, flare-lit evening bazaars of Morpork with the Luggage trundling behind him, jostled a tall dark figure, turned to deliver a few suitable curses, and beheld Death.
It had to be Death. No-one else went around with empty eye sockets and, of course, the scythe over one shoulder was another clue.

#46 Ziggy

Ziggy

Messiah for the animals.

• 313 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:17 PM

hehe, there should be alot of new races and other plane races should be extended.
Power corupts, Absolute power corupts absolutly.

#47 Shadow Angel

Shadow Angel
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:10 PM

Has anyone given any thought to basic shape and size of our world?

So far it seems that the basic idea is an undefined jungle world.

Some other ideas. :wacko:
1) normal sphere
2) a ring world
3) a cube or other shape with each side a different climate type
4) the inside of a geometrical shape
5) the inside of a large colony ship cylinder, say a thousand miles dia.
6) a mobius strip on edge sliding to one side of the sun
7) something else.
8) a disc

Any ideas for a good undergroud race?

Edited by Shadow Angel, 05 July 2004 - 09:49 PM.

#48 Spawn Of Shadows

Spawn Of Shadows

Is it slavery if you get what you want?

• 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:15 AM

Hey how about a ring shaped world. if this were 2 be done then the inner section (or outer depending on where the universes light source is) would be a place of good+civiliation and the outer section would be in shadow, a place of evil and darkness? the idea of Shadow Angel inspired this thought. ive searched for latin translations of Ring to give u some ideas for names.
RING
anellus -i m. [a little ring].
anularius -a -um [of a ring]; m. as subst. [a ring-maker].
anulus -i m. [a ring]; 'anulus equestris' , [the badge of knighthood at Rome].
aurum -i n. [gold; anything made of gold , gold plate, coin, a cup, ring, etc.; the golden age].
chorea -ae f. [a dance in a ring].
circus -i m. [a ring , circle, orbit]; 'candens', [the milky way]; also [an oval course for races].
cirrus -i m. [a lock , or ringlet of hair; the fringe of a garment].
dactyliotheca -ae f. [a casket for rings].
Gyges -is and -ae m. [a king of Lydia , famous for his ring]; adj. Gygaeus -a -um.
gyrus -i m. [a circle , ring]; esp. [a course for training horses]; in gen. [orbit, circuit].
orbis -is m. [a circle , ring, disk; orbit, coil]; 'orbis signifer', [the Zodiac]; 'orbis lacteus', [the Milky Way]; 'orbis terrae, terrarum', [the world]. Transf. [rotation, round]; of style, [roundness].
pala -ae f. [a spade; the bezel of a ring].
palumbes -is m. and f. [a wood pigeon , ring dove].
percrepo -crepare -crepui -crepitum [to resound , ring].
retinnio -ire [to resound , ring again].
tinnio -ire [to ring , tinkle; to talk shrilly; to make to chink]; hence [to pay money].
tinnitus -us m. [ringing , tinkling, jingling].
tinnulus -a -um [ringing , tinkling, jingling].
tintinno (tintino) -are [to ring , tinkle].
torquis (torques) -is m. and f. [a twisted collar or necklace; a ring , wreath, chaplet].

I will find the world ones and post them later

#49 Spawn Of Shadows

Spawn Of Shadows

• 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:16 AM

These are Latin for world. read them and check out what you think.
WORLD
Acheron -ontis m. (older form Acheruns -untis) [mythol. river in the lower world; the lower world itself].
aether -eris acc. -era , m. [the upper air]; poet., [heaven, or the upper world].
aetherius -a -um [of the air or upper air]; 'aqua' , [rain]; poet., [heavenly, or belonging to the upper world].
barathrum -i n. [a pit , abyss; esp. of the lower world].
Catonium -i n. [the lower world] (with a play on the word Cato).
Chaos acc. Chaos , abl. Chao, n. [boundless empty space]. Hence [the lower world]; personified, [Chaos, the father of Night and Erebus; the shapeless mass out of which the universe was made].
Cocytus and -os -i , m. [a river of the lower world].2
cosmicos -a -um [of the world]; m. as subst. [a citizen of the world].
Dis Ditis m. [a name of Pluto , god of the Lower world].
edo (2) -dere -didi -ditum [to put forth , give out];'animam', [to breathe one's last, die]; 'clamorem', [to utter]. Esp. (1) [to bring into the world, to bring forth, give birth to]; of things, [to produce]. (2) [to make known]: of writings, [to publish]; of ideas and information, [to divulge, spread]; officially, [to proclaim]; as legal t.t., [to fix, determine, nominate]. (3) [to bring about, cause, produce]; of magistrates, [to provide games for the people]. Hence partic. editus -a -um, [raised, high, lofty]; n. as subst. [a high place, eminence].
Erebus -i m. [a god of the lower world]; hence [the lower world]. Adj. Erebeus -a -um.
gens gentis f. [a clan , stock, people, tribe, nation]. Transf., [an offspring, descendant; a district, country]; esp. in partitive genit.: 'ubi gentium', [where in the world?]; plur., 'gentes', [foreigners].
homo -inis c. [a human being , man, mortal]; in pl., [men, people, the world]; used like a pronoun, [he, him]; milit., in pl., [infantry].
infernus -a -um [below , coming from below; of the lower world, infernal]. As subst., m. pl. inferni, [the shades]; n. pl. inferna, [the lower world].
inferus -a -um [below , lower, southern; of the lower world].M. pl. as subst. inferi -orum, [the dead, the lower world]. Compar. inferior -ius, [lower] 'ex inferiore loco dicere', [to speak from the body of the court]; of time, [later, junior]; of number, rank, etc. [lower, inferior]. Superl. (1) infimus (infumus) -a -um, [lowest]; 'ab infima ara', [from the bottom of the altar]; of rank, etc. [lowest, meanest].Superl.(2) imus -a -um, [lowest] n. as subst. [the bottom]; of tone, [deepest, lowest]; of time, [last]; n. as subst., [the end].
infra Prep. with acc. , [below, under], in position, size, or rank; in time, [later than]. Adv. [below, underneath; in the lower world; to the south]; in rank, [lower]. Compar. inferius, [lower down].
intermundia -orum n. pl. [spaces between the worlds].
manes -ium m. pl. [the shades of the departed , spirits of the dead]; poet., [the lower world, infernal regions; corpse, ashes, remains].
mundanus -i m. [a citizen of the world].
mundus (2) -i m. (1) [toilet things , adornment]. (2) [the universe, world; mankind].
natura -ae f. [birth; nature , natural qualities or disposition, character; an element, substance, essence]; 'rerum natura', [nature, the world or universe].
orbis -is m. [a circle , ring, disk; orbit, coil]; 'orbis signifer', [the Zodiac]; 'orbis lacteus', [the Milky Way]; 'orbis terrae, terrarum', [the world]. Transf. [rotation, round]; of style, [roundness].
Orcus -i m. [Orcus , the infernal regions]. Transf. [the god of the lower world; death].
Proserpina -ae f. [the daughter of Ceres , carried off by Pluto to the lower world].
res rei f. [a thing , object, matter, affair, circumstance]; 'natura rerum', [the world, the universe, nature]; 'pro re', [according to circumstance]; esp. [the real thing, fact, truth, reality]; 're vera', [in truth]; [possessions, property, wealth; interest, advantage, benefit]; 'in rem', [to one's advantage]; [cause, ground, reason]; 'qua re, quam ob rem', [wherefore]; [a matter of business; a law suit, action]; 'res publica' or 'respublica', [the republic, state, commonwealth]; 'e republica', [in the public interest].
Rhadamanthus -i m. [brother of Minos , a judge in the lower world].
Sisyphus -i m. [a robber , condemned in the lower world to roll a stone uphill for ever].
tellus -uris f. [earth , soil, land; a country; the world].
terra -ae f. [earth , land, ground, soil; a country, land, region]; 'orbis terrarum', [the whole world].
universitas -atis f. [the whole , total; the universe, the world].
universus (archaic univorsus) -a -um [combined in one , whole, entire]; plur. universi -ae -a, [all together]; n. as subst. universum -i, [the whole; the world, the universe]; phrase, 'in universum', and adv. universe, [generally, in general]

#50 Spawn Of Shadows

Spawn Of Shadows

• 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:17 AM

P.s i would like to thank RAGNAR for his aid, we both have this ideal in mind so ask him or me if you have some queries. cheers

#51 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:31 AM

Has anyone given any thought to basic shape and size of our world?

So far it seems that the basic idea is an undefined jungle world.

Some other ideas. :wacko:
1) normal sphere
2) a ring world
3) a cube or other shape with each side a different climate type
4) the inside of a geometrical shape
5) the inside of a large colony ship cylinder, say a thousand miles dia.
6) a mobius strip on edge sliding to one side of the sun
7) something else.
8) a disc

Any ideas for a good undergroud race?

why dont we have a normal sphere surrounded by a Torus
the jungle is on the torus and the sphere be a huge mountainy place with volcanos and deserts. The torus is connected with the sphere by jumping (if you jump from certain parts of the torus you will fly into a zero gravity expanse an gently land on the sphere.

or we could make a 3 ring world where the top ring is a jungle world the middle ring is a desert world and the bottum ring is a world of ash... and have waterfalls fall over the side onto other worlds and back into the plane of water (and have a portal on top to return the water)

#52 Ziggy

Ziggy

Messiah for the animals.

• 313 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

The latin names are good, i like little ring.
Power corupts, Absolute power corupts absolutly.

#53 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:29 AM

why dont we have a normal sphere surrounded by a Torus
the jungle is on the torus and the sphere be a huge mountainy place with volcanos and deserts. The torus is connected with the sphere by jumping (if you jump from certain parts of the torus you will fly into a zero gravity expanse an gently land on the sphere.

I suppose the torus could be called Anellus.
The world could be called Acheron.
The space between these two where zero gravity expanse is could be called the Intermundia.
Unless other names for them are prefered.
Magus: "If history is to change, let it change! If their world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!"

Vash: "Normally when you buy an old, used bike, you're supposed to repair it before riding it!"

It's all happening here

#54 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:58 PM

Acheron is a plane in the planescape campaign.... why'd you choose those names they are good but what is the story behind them?

#55 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:57 PM

Acheron is a plane in the planescape campaign

bugger didn't know that ;) (have to chose a different name to save confusion)
I'll call it Orcus for Anellus' name history.

Anellus is a place of mystery and adventure. It is where many scholars of nature go to reasearch and discover the many different plants that grow there, it is also where adventurers go in search of magical treasure. All people of different walks of life (that are known so far) call this strange ring planet by Anellus, although for different reasons. Those of religious beliefs name it this due to beliving that the gods created this little paradise to live on and to watch the creation of Orcus. Philosophers call it this due to their belief that it symbolizes the "ring of life". Sages say that Anellus has been it's name for as long as any being can remember and that in the old tongue it is translated to 'little ring', a strange name that is truely as mysterious as the planet.

I'll do the other two later (too tired now).

P.S. I have a image of what I think this planet and it's ring would look like from space so how would I post it? (would I need to start a new thread to post it or would I need to post it in FanArt forum)

It's all happening here

#56 cmyster

cmyster
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:28 PM

Chorea (dance in a ring), sounds good, and as for the world, maybe a huge sphere that surrounds a sun that was built by a long dead race? To have so many races one most consider that they would need a huge space to feed themselves without trespassing into some other race's territory.
[FONT=Times][SIZE=1]
Thus it was that Rincewind,hurrying through the crowded, flare-lit evening bazaars of Morpork with the Luggage trundling behind him, jostled a tall dark figure, turned to deliver a few suitable curses, and beheld Death.
It had to be Death. No-one else went around with empty eye sockets and, of course, the scythe over one shoulder was another clue.

#57 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:15 PM

Acheron is a plane in the planescape campaign

bugger didn't know that ;) (have to chose a different name to save confusion)
I'll call it Orcus for Anellus' name history.

Anellus is a place of mystery and adventure. It is where many scholars of nature go to reasearch and discover the many different plants that grow there, it is also where adventurers go in search of magical treasure. All people of different walks of life (that are known so far) call this strange ring planet by Anellus, although for different reasons. Those of religious beliefs name it this due to beliving that the gods created this little paradise to live on and to watch the creation of Orcus. Philosophers call it this due to their belief that it symbolizes the "ring of life". Sages say that Anellus has been it's name for as long as any being can remember and that in the old tongue it is translated to 'little ring', a strange name that is truely as mysterious as the planet.

I'll do the other two later (too tired now).

P.S. I have a image of what I think this planet and it's ring would look like from space so how would I post it? (would I need to start a new thread to post it or would I need to post it in FanArt forum)

sounds cool

why not call the sphere Gebrannter Felsen (german for burnt rock)

#58 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:53 AM

Gebrannter Felsen (german for burnt rock)

ok we'll call it that (unless a different name is prefered) but I need to know, will this planet have many sea's or lakes (ie mostly mountains and desert with one ocean on the planet or like earth but with desert's instead of fields)?

It's all happening here

#59 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 12:27 PM

hmmmm what about the torus around the planet have lots of rivers running through it like spider webs... but the planet haveing no surface water but huge amounts of underground resevoirs

#60 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:25 PM

the planet haveing no surface water but huge amounts of underground resevoirs

OK then where's a bit on Gebrannter Felson,

While Anellus could be called heaven with tropical climates and spectacular sparkling rivers Gebrannter Felson would deffinantly be called hell. Gebrannter Felson's surface is inhospitable in the most extreme terms with only the most strongest races surviving the temperature and vicious animals. This planets name originates from the language spoken by the longest surviving race, the Ta Sai. The only way races without the ability to survive scorching weather is because of the underground reservoirs. The five major cities of this world are built above the five largest reservoirs and constaint power struggles emit in these cities. Altogether, corrupted cities, unbearable weather, horrid landscapes, deadly animals and races make Gebrannter Felson an unfriendly place.

I'll do Intermundia later.

It's all happening here