Making a new NPC..need ideas~!

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:20 AM

Hey you people,
I'm thinking of making a new NPC but I don't really know how and I dont know what it will be like!

I was thinking a human assasin or other thief class. It's gonna be a girl by the way. It might be a romance option but I need to know how to do that first!

The name is right now Kaiyu but it might change later on..she is half japanese and when she meets the PC then she is escaping from people who are looking for her because she was framed for murder. That's about all I know for now.

I need help here!! Please give me ideas and opinions or whatever..
-Yasu-
"The problem with being a god is that you've got no one to pray to"
Member of Sol Ek Sa, specializing portraits.
=======================

Currently working on Kaiyu Hanamoto, a half Kara-Turan swashbuckler.

#2 Ismail

Ismail

Squirrel Pride Worldwide!

• 423 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:49 AM

hm... for starters, have you done NPC mods before in the first place?
Lahinguväljal joome, raisk!

#3 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 02:45 AM

umm..not really...im still learning!
-Yasu-
=======================

#4 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:30 AM

If you want technical advice and help, you might want to do some work for one of the NPC mods that are already up and running. Most of the folks involved would be very happy to teach you the basics of dialogs, etc. in exchange for assistance. For tools, I like NI and DLTCEP, both of which you can find here. You'll eventually want to learn WEIDU, but you don't have to jump right into it.

Half Japanese would be Half-Karaturan in the realms; Yoshimo is from Kara-Tura.

#5 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

you meen half Kara-Tur... japan doesnt exist in toril...
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#6 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:17 PM

Right, half Kara-Tur..lol..i ll have to remember that.

If you want technical advice and help, you might want to do some work for one of the NPC mods that are already up and running. Most of the folks involved would be very happy to teach you the basics of dialogs, etc. in exchange for assistance. For tools, I like NI and DLTCEP, both of which you can find here. You'll eventually want to learn WEIDU, but you don't have to jump right into it.

So I should work for the people that are working on NPC mods right now? Ok, I'll try that. What's DLTCEP??

#7 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:28 PM

DLTSEP stands for (iirc) DragonLanceTotalConversionEditorProgram and is a newest Item/Creature editing tool used in the modding community.

There is a pinned thread here which maybe useful to finding your bearings when starting your own project.

As for helping out someone else - that is always a good start, but on the downside it may give you a "patchwork" experience.

#8 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:43 PM

Right, half Kara-Tur..lol..i ll have to remember that.

So I should work for the people that are working on NPC mods right now? Ok, I'll try that. What's DLTCEP??

Domi gave you the answer, and you'll find a link to DLTCEP by clicking here.

#9 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:53 PM

wow...thanks...people here are so nice!! I don't understand how to use near infinity and it won't let me load chr files. I'll have to look for instructions and tutorials somewhere..

#10 Xaositect_Crayon

Xaositect_Crayon
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:31 AM

hehe throw your chr file in the override folder
have Cheats=1 right under game options in Baldur.ini
press Ctrl+Space to bring up the council
type
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("CHREATURESFILENAME") remember caps are important and dont use the extensions
oh and you HAVE to have the quotation marks
Crayons are the most chaotic bananas there never will be....

#11 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:33 AM

Thank you so much!!! argh...this scripting stuff is killing me!!! so since I know i will NEVER be able to finish this (even though i really want to!!) I want to put together a work group to work on this together! So here is the information right now on the Kaiyu NPC:

I kind of saw that there weren't many asian people in BGII and besides Yoshimo theres no other asian(or watever) not to say female
:)
Full Name: Kaiyu Hanamoto
blabla ^_^

STR: 18/00
DEX: 15
CON: 14
INT: 16
WIS: 16
CHA: 18

Alignment: Chaotic Good

little bit of history:

Kaiyu is half Kara-Tur and was abandoned by her mother after her father died. Her mother was from Kara-Tur. So she made her living on the streets pick pocketing from pretty much anyone who passed by. Growing up, she found that the only person she could trust was herself so she is as mysterious as the most mysterious of things..lol..and she does this to protect herself. She is scared that if she gets close to anyone then that person will leave her one day. This is why she refuses to love anyone, even if it means being alone.

So a few years later after working as a private thief (like, she steals stuff for him and stuff) for a man named Dashka one day she walks in and sees him dead on the floor. A dagger thru his chest and blood everywhere. Worried, she kneels down next to him and pulls out the dagger, hoping that there might still be a way to save him, at that moment a person walks in and screams at the sight of them 2. After that she's been on the run because she knows that someone did this to frame her for murdering Dashka.

Later on she sees the PC in battle and knows that this might be the only hope she gets to clear her name. If you let her join up, then you made the decision to help her. This might be kind of detective work :lol: at the end since she has nothing to do she asks if she can stay with you or else she will continue her life as a pickpocket.

Hehe if I can get someone to do it then she will be able to romance the PC if the PC is male. She will learn that she can depend on the Pc and that she can trust people again and there will be no need to be alone if there are people around you that will always be there.

I might make a story out of this..I duno..

Ok so if you're interested or can help me with making this NPC mod then please please please let me know ASAP!!!!!! :) :) :)

#12 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:34 AM

oh yea, and...I talked too much so I forgot. She's a human swashbuckler at the moment..this can change though!!
-Yasu-
=======================

#13 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:09 AM

Well I've got the beginnings of a story (that if I finish I think will be quite good) idf you want to read it for ideas it is copywrited (yeah right)
http://chosenofmystr...forum/index.php

when you get there go to "Ye Dwarven Hammer" and then
"Trying to write a story. Ideas welcome, wanted and needed"

it may help though mind that she is an assassin and is (to keep it simple) english (Fogotten realms version of english. Reason being, I am english)
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#14 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:13 PM

Full Name: Kaiyu Hanamoto
blabla ^_^

STR: 18/00
DEX: 15
CON: 14
INT: 16
WIS: 16
CHA: 18

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Sorry but the stats are way overpowered! Keep your total near 80 or else the character becomes almost better than the player. This should not happen.

Will give you help on technical stuff if you need it. Just finished my first NPC's alpha version

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#15 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:59 PM

ok fine!!! i admit it!!! :lol:

im not good at choosing stats!!! if someone could help me with this...and remember im putting together a workgroup!!!

Dalis: I think your story thing is great. Being a write myself, ( i wrote 2 novels and am geting them published!!) I think you have talent and a great imagination!!! As a mod it would be great too...please..just..change the name..lol..
-Yasu-
=======================

#16 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

Did-a-chick? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

• 388 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:12 PM

Maybe

STR 14 - Wielding Daggers not swords
DEX 17 - Thief natch
CON - 15 - Been on the run for a while
INT 15 - Thief natch
WIS 13 - Not very wise to go on the run
CHA 12 - Not wanting to love etc.

Total of 86

#17 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

hmmm...maybe..but wouldn't she have to have a bit higher CHA because she's a swashbuckler?? in the description it says:This rogue is part acrobat, part swordsman and part wit: the epitome of charm and grace ;)
-Yasu-
=======================

#18 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:22 PM

Well Cha 12 isn't that low really - yes it's lower than romancable Bioware females, but I always felt that their charisma scores were a bit more than they should have been, if you consider what kind of person's they are. 12 is still top end of average person.

But if you want a higher cha perhaps the following:

STR 14
DEX 17
CON 15
INT 14 (still very intelligent)
WIS 12 (top end of average, especially if she's still young)
CHA 14 (better?)
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#19 yasu

yasu
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:44 PM

ok thanks! that's decided now..

:blink:

AAAHH!!! isn't anyone brave and patient enough to join the workgroup!!!
-Yasu-
=======================

#20 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:58 AM

Cheers for the compliment and yes I know about the names thing, that I do have a problem with, most of the time I just give them easy to remember names and change 'em at the end of the story
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me