Photo

The Blood War

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win the Blood War? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the Blood War?

1. Demons (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

2. Devils (22 votes [81.48%])

Percentage of vote: 81.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MERLANCE

MERLANCE
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:37 AM

Neglecting the fact that the Blood War is eternal, and shows no sign of stopping, who would you bet on to win?

Demons have the significant advantage in numbers (Infinite Layers of the Abyss) against the devils (The Nine Hells).

Devils are highly trained and organized against mobs of demons.

There a large number of Demon Lords (infinite?), but only 9 Archdevils, several deposed Archdevils, and the Dark Eight (generals of hell) as major players.

#2 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:07 AM

By the way, when the Blood War started and why ?

The Devils win because they are well organised. The Demon Lords are too busy fighting each other for power, while, in the Hells, Asmodeus manages to control the other lords.

#3 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:11 AM

However not all demons fight against the devils. Not all demons are Tana'ri and not all Devils are Baatezu.

However the demons that are not Baatezu do not necessarily attack Baatezu.

The demons that are not Tana'ri however do attack Tana'ri, some even prefer them as their meal (like bebilith).

There is a myth and I quote Manual of The Planes:

The Crawling City has never directly involved itself in the Blood War, but it is said once it does the Blood War will end.

The Crawling City is owned by a general of the Yugoloth (the race of NE outsiders). These Yugoloth ar mercenaries for hire and the Baatezu are the better ones to make a fine contract. So I reckon the Baatezu one day will get The Crawling City in to the Blood War and the Baatezu will win.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#4 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:15 AM

By the way, when the Blood War started and why ?

The Devils win because they are well organised. The Devil Lords are too busy fighting each other for power, while, in the Hells, Asmodeus manages to control the other lords.

Not really true Asmodeus had one time to do with the Great Revolt. Some of the Demon Lords rised against him, but it did not succeed, and some leaders where banished, others were misformed, like Baalzebul (formely a Deva).

When it started no one knows, it has raged and will rage for eons. Why? Because the Baatezu and Tana'ri have a dispute what is the ultimate evil.

Tana'ri believe this to be the mayhem and slaughter they cause, while the Baatezu believe in fine torture and rule from above.

Edited by Deathsangel, 24 June 2004 - 03:34 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.

Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly

#5 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:19 AM

Law and order will beat chaos
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#6 Cyric

Cyric

Mystery is a Lifestyle

• 169 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:54 AM

I'm sure if one side would gain a greater advantage and start to win the celestials would intervent. The Blood War is the only barrier hindering the armies of Evil before invading the Higher Planes and because of that the celestials need the war to continue as long as possible.
I am the whispers in your head
Letting you know you're the next one dead
I am the blade that cuts your skin
That forgives yourself for all your sin
I am the guilt that gnaws your soul
Corrodes the heart to a gaping hole
The hammers pounding all around
So you beat the walls to rid the sound
I am your memories, distorted and loud
That make you scream and shreik aloud
Yes, I make you crazy, it's all my fault
That we're here alone in this cushoined vault

#7 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:57 AM

I'm sure if one side would gain a greater advantage and start to win the celestials would intervent. The Blood War is the only barrier hindering the armies of Evil before invading the Higher Planes and because of that the celestials need the war to continue as long as possible.

yep, i think so, too. nothing could stop them if they were "allied".
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#8 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:14 AM

yep, i think so, too. nothing could stop them if they were "allied".

Except Lord Ao.

#9 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:22 AM

Does his power extend to their realms, maybe they could leave his realmspace/crystal sphere :P

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#10 MERLANCE

MERLANCE
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:10 AM

Does his power extend to their realms, maybe they could leave his realmspace/crystal sphere :P

His power must, how else would he have forced the gods into avatar form in the Time of Troubles? The gods all have a hoome on other planes, therefore his power must extend to those planes, at least the ones in the Realms Cosmology.

Yup. Yugoloths will be the deciding factor

Im pretty sure Celestials have sent armies to kill a bunch of demons or devils in the past, just to even things out if one side gains an advantage. I think it must have been a 2e thing I read it in maybe something Planescape.

#11 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:13 AM

He forced gods to walk Toril but I didn't see any mention of any of the demon/devil lords

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#12 MERLANCE

MERLANCE
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:17 AM

He forced gods to walk Toril but I didn't see any mention of any of the demon/devil lords

They arent gods, thus he did not force them to. If he could force the gods to, he must be able to do so with demons and devils?

The only one I think was a true deity was Orcus, but I think he was already dead in the Realms.

Edited by MERLANCE, 24 June 2004 - 07:17 AM.

#13 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:58 AM

Even if the Celestials intervene, it would be difficult for them, cause I can imagine them fighting of either Baatezu or Tana'ri, but as I stated before (and Merlance agreed) there are still the Yugoloth. They are the ones who are going to decide, what the outcome will be.

Have any of you given any thoughs about Mechanus by the way? Who will win when the formians finally do hit upon the cogs of the modrons and the inevitables?

#14 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:14 AM

Ao could force the gods to walk Faerun because they have a permanent "divine link" to Faerun (or more precisely Realmspace). He could not have forced deities who're unconnected to Realmspace (f.ex the Greyhawk gods Hextor and Trithereon, or the Dragonlance gods Paladine and Sargonnas) to walk the Realms even if he wanted to.

Also, in the case of deities who're worshipped on multiple spheres, Ao didn't manage to bring the entirety of that deity to Faerun, only some of it. Hence worshippers of Lloth, Clangdeddin, Sehanine Moonbow, etc on other worlds still recieved their spells during the Time of Troubles.

Ao is all powerful, but only in Realmspace. Elsewhere there are other deities/beings who're just as powerful if not even more powerful - e.g. the Lady of Pain.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 24 June 2004 - 08:18 AM.

#15 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:47 AM

so where is the Ldy of Pain more powerful, Sigil? (is she evil, I am guessing yes)

who has the real power to control Lolth then and who is the leader of the dragonlance gods (who is their overgod?)

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#16 MERLANCE

MERLANCE
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:51 AM

Have any of you given any thoughs about Mechanus by the way? Who will win when the formians finally do hit upon the cogs of the modrons and the inevitables?

The Modrons, Definitely the Modrons.

Really, modrons rock. Inevitables probably wouldnt do anything.

#17 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:08 AM

so where is the Ldy of Pain more powerful, Sigil? (is she evil, I am guessing yes)

who has the real power to control Lolth then and who is the leader of the dragonlance gods (who is their overgod?)

Sigil is the centre of all balance in the D&Dverse, and the Lady of Pain is effectively a part of the city, the same way Ao is part of Realmspace. So in other words, she's true neutral (but with evil tendencies).

The Lady and Pain and Ao are the only D&D beings I've ever heard of who have power over gods, but each of them only has that power if the god enters/is connected with their realm of influence. As far as I know none of the other worlds or planes in the D&Dverse have overgods - at least none that we've been told about.

Some of the non-Realms pantheons of deities do have leaders, but they in no way have the sort of power over their fellow gods as Ao does.

#18 Xander77

Xander77

Freak Boy

• 436 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:08 PM

Dragonlance has an Overgod... or not... or does... it's all very confusing :(
Мы должны как раз дать эту хромающую страну к русским. Они awesome! Идет Nader! Кустик и Kerry имеют придурковатые weasels в их кальсонах!

#19 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:17 PM

If there is a Dragonlance Overgod, I don't think he's been mentioned in any Dragonlance products yet. I could be wrong though.

#20 Xander77

Xander77

Freak Boy

• 436 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:51 PM

Chaos.

That is, Ionthas.

That is, the Highlord.

That is, Takhsis.

That is... whatever.

Edited by Xander77, 24 June 2004 - 12:51 PM.

Мы должны как раз дать эту хромающую страну к русским. Они awesome! Идет Nader! Кустик и Kerry имеют придурковатые weasels в их кальсонах!