Photo

Cartoon, Cinematic, or Real Evil?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you want in a mod: Cartoon, Cinematic, or Real Evil? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you want in a mod: Cartoon, Cinematic, or Real Evil?

1. Cartoon Evil: Evil is Cool Clothes and Snide Comments! (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. Cinematic Evil: Evil Is High Melodrama! (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. Real Evil: Evil is the pursuit of desires regardless of costs. (18 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 30 June 2004 - 05:23 PM

I think BG sometimes try to reach for more mundane non-heroic consepts - Viconia prostituting herself for food, Cernd walking out on his wife, Keldorn putting his wife in prison, Anomen being raised by an alcaholoic father coexist with Aerie's high tragedy and Irenicus' pickled collaborators :)

#22 Briannandoah

Briannandoah

Back to business

• 231 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:28 PM

So, I didn't vote, because I don't know. It depends, how do you define real evil. Of course the way this question puts it, it is defined in here. But because to me nothing is so black and white, I find it hard to answer questions like this.

But I really do not need epic battles in a game (especially in a table top game) to enjoy it. In fact I kind of dislike them. And I dislike the pompous evil that boasts how evil and strong he/she really is. When I run a game, I tend to make my villains more realistic, they aren't entirely evil but when they do evil things, the things are really evil. But my villains never explain themselves. Their motives are their own, and how would the pc know them?

In movies I like cinematic evil. I don't usually see the real evil movies, because I think I get enough real evil (if you define it real evil) from the news :( .

Though I think that when it comes to BG series, they are set in a world that is already defined with existing rules. Of course you can make any kind of mod or game you like, but is it anymore AD&D game then? I don't really know that much about AD&D world, because I soon changed to other games after I began RPG (because of many reasons), and I play BG because it is good RPG for computer. I don't expect it to be as good as table top gaming though.
Member of Sol Ek Sa.

I WILL get a life, I promise! ...Someday :P

Posted Image

#23 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:55 AM

Kill the heroes rather than telling them your plans and then dropping them into an easily escapable death trap, murder the hostage, organise a series of brutal ethnic cleansings for political gain, blow up shops and buildings killing dozens / hundreds / thousands to terrify a populace . . .

I think the last case of the villain killing hostages was in Icewind Dale. ( That drow mage who had blinded all his slaves because he worked with umberhulks)
Then she saw his eyes, red and mad as hell. And in that moment she knew that he could kill anyone, no matter how strong. Madness, true madness could put a fist through a plank.

#24 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:29 AM

I think BG sometimes try to reach for more mundane non-heroic consepts - Viconia prostituting herself for food, Cernd walking out on his wife, Keldorn putting his wife in prison, Anomen being raised by an alcaholoic father coexist with Aerie's high tragedy and Irenicus' pickled collaborators :)

While this is true, each instance seems to lead on to something extravagant or heroic or otherwise dramatic. Viconia's story leads on to tell of her Drowesque revenge against some typical yokels, Cernd gets to battle an evil wizard to save his son, Keldorn's sacrifice is an extreme act of law on his part, and Anomen finally rejecting his father's anger leads to his becoming a knight of the Order.

Had, for example, Viconia never managed to settle down at all and had remained a fugitive and casual murderess, or Cernd's son already been killed a few months or so hence in an accident, or Keldorn had become angry and killed his wife himself, or Anomen just blindly followed his father's wishes - then, that's what I call 'real life' intruding into the game - injustices that are never righted nor even acknowledged, humans being nothing more than humans; basically, stories without any closure, either good or bad. That's what real life is.