When the uber update is made...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:41 AM

Could we add a Bodhi adbuction? I know it originally wasn't included because Tashia already gets swiped by someone else but really she should get adbucted by Bodhi as well (its something of a standard).
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#2 Arian

Arian

One of Tashia's personal pets

• Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:21 AM

Standard or not, she already gets "taken" by someone else. :P

P.S. Would be very odd if she left the party twice, don't you think?

Edited by Arian, 12 July 2004 - 05:21 AM.

"The very identity of every reasoning being is defined by the language, the communication between that being and others around it." -- Drizzt Do'Urden (R.A. Salvatore, "Exile")

#3 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:32 AM

Well, Jaheira and Anomen both leave the party twice... ;)

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 12 July 2004 - 05:41 AM.

#4 Arian

Arian

• Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:47 AM

Well, Jaheira and Anomen both leave the party twice... ;)

But not in the 6th chapter. :P

"The very identity of every reasoning being is defined by the language, the communication between that being and others around it." -- Drizzt Do'Urden (R.A. Salvatore, "Exile")

#5 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:10 PM

Standard or not, she already gets "taken" by someone else. :P

Yeah, but Bodhi doesn't know that...

#6 Mr Ennigma

Mr Ennigma
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:44 PM

I wouldn't mind personally. Like Grim said, it's a standard. If there isn't one there should be a damn good reason why not. Her already being abducted once isn't good enough.
Noble ends are not always reached by noble means...

If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable.

Fade Dlardrageth Mod; some thievin' and some lovin' all rolled into one...
Discover her here.

#7 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:53 AM

It's not a bad idea, really. Neither of the arguments ("It's a standard" or "She already gets taken") makes much sense, but who could be against putting more content into the mod. Other than the fact it means more work, obviously. Seeing as she sort of voluntarily leaves the party when she leaves the first time, it's not really an abduction. It would mean bringing her back from the dead twice, however, but that could give some good or funny dialogues.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#8 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:11 AM

it's an abduction: she goes under false pretences, and when she realises said false pretences, arilistan prevents her from leaving (by turning her into undead). not every NPC is kidnapped by bodhi: imoen and chloe spring to mind. they're not bioware npcs, but that's neither here nor there.

as it happens, i *like* the fact that tashia a: doesnt get taken by bodhi; b: doesnt get fooled by the woodcutter outside sendai's lair; c: doesnt get suckered by the master wraith. i also like the fact that sola becomes an uber-vamp when he gets taken. none of it is 'canon', whatever that might mean, but all of it adds diversity to the game.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#9 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:49 AM

Admitedly the argument of 'its a standard' is utter crap. What I should have said is 'is there a reason why Bodhi wouldn't abduct Tashia, given that she has a fetish for abducting loved ones?'

Stuff like not being fooled by the wraith or woodcutter is fair enough as Tashia could just be quite clever and see through the deception. The abduction on the otherhand is a choice by Bodhi not to abduct her, and I see no reason why she'd do that.

#10 Arian

Arian

• Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:11 AM

Tashia doesn't become that "involved" in the relationship until later than BioWare NPCs, however. Keep in mind that she doesn't even say anything definite until after you save her in the end. As I recall when I was making the mod, the two were just too close together to release them like that. I mean -- as I exited the underdark, Tashia left. I rescued her, went to town, and she gets ninja'd yet again? I just didn't like the way it was. Once was enough for the poor elf. :blink:

If I was to do some changes to the mod though, I'd make Bodhi try to take Tashia, and Tashia would say something like "oh hell no, not this again!" and figure out a way to stay. B)

Edited by Arian, 13 July 2004 - 05:12 AM.

#11 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:46 AM

These days I tend to do between 10% and 45% of the sidequests in chapter 2. The rest I finish in 6. With my playstyle the two abductions would be unlikely to occur very near each other ... and even if they did it wouldn't bother me much.

I would vote for a Bodhi abduction.

Honestly I would be more likely to change the first 'abduction' rather than the Bodhi one. I really never saw a reason for her to die. Dire Charming Tashia would have made more sense to me than the current effort to make her undead or whatever.

#12 Mr Ennigma

Mr Ennigma
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:59 AM

If I was to do some changes to the mod though, I'd make Bodhi try to take Tashia, and Tashia would say something like "oh hell no, not this again!" and figure out a way to stay.  Posted Image

Protection from undead scroll maybe?
Some bauble you've picked up flares to life and repels Bodhi? Something of elven religious significance maybe?
A prepared contingency spell.

I don't mind at all if Bodhi doesn't take her just so long as there's a reason.
Noble ends are not always reached by noble means...

If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable.

Fade Dlardrageth Mod; some thievin' and some lovin' all rolled into one...
Discover her here.

#13 Arian

Arian

• Modder
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:10 AM

I don't mind at all if Bodhi doesn't take her just so long as there's a reason.

Why... heroic space hampsters coming from space to save her sounds believable! :lol:

I can think of Tashia porting around the room with Bodhi chasing her around screaming "stand still so I can abduct you!". Hehehe... I'm in a funny mood today.

#14 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:35 PM

If you do your protection from undead nonsense just before you reach Bodhi, and then go to the Graveyard:
Your loved one gets charmed anyway, doesn't get teleported into the catacombs, turns hostile against you.
When you kill them, they _CAN'T_ be resurrected (tried this with Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia).
Just be warned. You're not supposed to break the almighty Bioware script...

#15 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:36 PM

By can't be resurrected I mean: 1) Can't be raised in any way 2)Not even by the Amaunator shrine.

#16 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:42 PM

Well, we could try and address this. I would be more apt to either do the "Oh no, not again" idea by Arian, or else have Tahisa's first abduction happen earlier in the game.

"I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave it up." "You gave up drinking?" "No, I gave up reading..."

#17 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:36 AM

I personally like Arian's idea. Tashia has a habit of being more independent and somewhat more clever than the Bioware NPC's, so having her stop Bodhi from kindnapping her would be a good idea. It would solve the matter that Bodhi tends to try and kidnap the beloved ones of the PC, and it would mean you needn't raise her twice. Plus, it's a possibility for some good, perhaps funny, dialogue (at least that's what I think).

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#18 Bri

Bri
  • Modder
  • 1734 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:43 AM

Truth be known, I would prefer not to do two abductions myself. I know, the standard in BG II is to have Bodhi put the bite on someone, but I kinda like Tashia not being subjected to it.

"I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave it up." "You gave up drinking?" "No, I gave up reading..."

#19 Briannandoah

Briannandoah

Back to business

• 231 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:27 PM

I really don't see the reason why every love interest should be abducted by Bodhi. Of course everyone who plays mods has played the original game already at least once (or so we presume), but still if the game would be real life, there wouldn't be any standard, and the pc certainly wouldn't know that Bodhi has this habit of kidnapping his beloved, now would he.

If BG would be a table top RPG, you would finish it only once (normally), and there would be these things that happen and those that don't. You wouldn't know if there should happen something else instead. I like to play every game of BGII like it was the first time (though it is a bit difficult of course), but I like to think of all my pcs that they are on this the first time, and then there is no standard to follow :D .
Member of Sol Ek Sa.

I WILL get a life, I promise! ...Someday :P

Posted Image

#20 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:59 AM

Perhaps, but the point is not really that it's a standard thing for Bodhi to kidnap the PC's love interest, but rather that it's in her character to at least try to do so. Having Tashia stop Bodhi from taking her away could be quite interesting, I believe.