What would I use to edit a kit?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 -David-

-David-

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:33 PM

Well I downloaded The Darkest Day and I want to edit the ninja kit. I wanna remove the feat that doesn't allow you to wear armor. How would I got about doing this(Ie. tools, and area to open to edit). Thanks

#2 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:36 PM

forgot to log in, here i am

#3 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:22 PM

there's actually a tutorial on how to do this at the TeamBG site using WeiDU. looks pretty straightforward and will do what you want it to. note that the japeth's tutorial it references can now be foundhere. the good news is that all yr going to need is a text editor - ie, notepad - and weidu, which you've already got. you'll be needing to learn some basic weidu programming - which is what the tutorials will teach - and you'll probably want to download this, but it shouldnt be too hard.

alternatively, you could change the usability of every item you want yr ninja to be able to use via DLTCEP or NI, but that's going to be a lot of tedious work.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#4 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:38 PM

alternatively, you could change the usability of every item you want yr ninja to be able to use via DLTCEP or NI, but that's going to be a lot of tedious work.

Actually, you can't. There are only 32 itemflags for diffrent kits in BGII, and they are all taken by the already existing. It's because of the modding-unfriendly structure of BGII.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#5 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

Change the kit unusability value from whatever it is to one that can wear armour. :) I don't know which the Ninja uses offhand, but it's a simple way. No editing of item files needed, just replace one number with another.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#6 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:13 PM

Change the kit unusability value from whatever it is to one that can wear armour. :) I don't know which the Ninja uses offhand, but it's a simple way. No editing of item files needed, just replace one number with another.

Andyr how do I do this? What file is it and where is it located. Which tools do i us to open it???

seanas the link u sent to team bg is not working....

Edited by Darkmist, 14 July 2004 - 07:15 PM.

#7 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:33 PM

Open the kitlist.2da from the override folder with notepad. Scroll down until you see the ninja. (Should be number 33ish) On the second to far right column, you will see a number: 0X00040000
This is the "Usability" code assigned to that kit. You'll see one like it next to all of the kits. Choose which type of usability you want to change to, such as a bard kit or whatever. Replace the new number with the old. You can also add the numbers together to get "custom" alloyed usabilities. That's detailed on the tutorials for kitmaking if you wish to go so far.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#8 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:43 PM

Open the kitlist.2da from the override folder with notepad. Scroll down until you see the ninja. (Should be number 33ish) On the second to far right column, you will see a number: 0X00040000
This is the "Usability" code assigned to that kit. You'll see one like it next to all of the kits. Choose which type of usability you want to change to, such as a bard kit or whatever. Replace the new number with the old. You can also add the numbers together to get "custom" alloyed usabilities. That's detailed on the tutorials for kitmaking if you wish to go so far.

There is no kitlist.2da in my soa/override folder? Also leave the tutorial link

Edited by Darkmist, 14 July 2004 - 07:44 PM.

#9 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:57 PM

tutorials

tools
Live Free Or Die

#10 Darkmist

Darkmist
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:23 PM

thanks i found kitlist by using near infinity. Hey guys is http://tutorials.teambg.net/ working for you? Can anyone confirm its down? The site's not working for me?

Does anyone know the code unsuable code that makes any item usable? The Nija code I want to edit is 0X00040000

Edited by Darkmist, 14 July 2004 - 08:27 PM.

#11 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:30 PM

no but it will be back
Live Free Or Die

#12 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:35 AM

all of camdawg's tutorials can also be found at the gibberlings3 tutorial site. they don't have any links to IESDP there, though :( .

btw, according to camdawg's kitmaking tutorial, 0x00040000 means the kit has the same restrictions as the parent class - ie the thief class, in the ninja's case.

UNUSABLE is a hex value that matches the kit to the proper unusable flag in item files. Item files have a series of flags that determine which classes and kits can use them. One value not listed is 0x00004000, which will give the kit the exact same restrictions as its parent class, i.e. a fighter kit will use the same restrictions as a vanilla fighter.

i thought about suggesting the unusable flag, but if you change that, the ninja won't be able to use aby ninja-specific items in TDD - although admittedly, there arent very many of these. and as far as i know, there's no 'unusable by none' value.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling

#13 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:36 AM

all of camdawg's tutorials can also be found at the gibberlings3 tutorial site. they don't have any links to IESDP there, though :( .

No links to IESDP? I take it you missed the big sticky right below the one you link to then?

#14 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (seanas)
all of camdawg's tutorials can also be found at the gibberlings3 tutorial site. they don't have any links to IESDP there, though  .

No links to IESDP? I take it you missed the big sticky right below the one you link to then?

err... if i were to revise that statement to 'no links to IESDP that dont link to teambg which is currently down' would i look like less of an idiot? it's what i meant, honest... :blink:

#15 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:12 AM

all of camdawg's tutorials can also be found at the gibberlings3 tutorial site. they don't have any links to IESDP there, though  :( .

btw, according to camdawg's kitmaking tutorial, 0x00040000 means the kit has the same restrictions as the parent class - ie the thief class, in the ninja's case.

UNUSABLE is a hex value that matches the kit to the proper unusable flag in item files. Item files have a series of flags that determine which classes and kits can use them. One value not listed is 0x00004000, which will give the kit the exact same restrictions as its parent class, i.e. a fighter kit will use the same restrictions as a vanilla fighter.

i thought about suggesting the unusable flag, but if you change that, the ninja won't be able to use aby ninja-specific items in TDD - although admittedly, there arent very many of these. and as far as i know, there's no 'unusable by none' value.

Just a quick clarification... 0x00004000 is true class (in this case Thief) usability; 0x00040000 is not. I haven't looked at the Ninja kit, but I would doubt that you'll lose access to Ninja-only items. It's impossible without scripting to make an item unusable by a kit but not by the parent class. If the item is disallowed by a scripting solution, it should still be usable by the kit--a script would likely check against the kit of the character and not the usability flag.

A quick note about the IESDP... download it! There's a link on the home page that includes a zip of the entire site so you can browse it on your local hard drive sans Internet connection.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#16 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:01 AM

Yea, I've relized the ninja can only wear leather type armors. I've read through cam's tut but dont see any list of the 00000x0 codes. And team BG is still down. Is there any class which can use all armors and wepons? If so thats what I'm gonna chane the value to...

#17 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:18 AM

No class can use everything. If that's what you're looking for, then you should just alter the CLAB to apply Use Any Item to the kit and be done with it. There's a way to apply UAI via Shadowkeeper, but you would need to summon Userunfriendly for that tidbit.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#18 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:29 AM

there's also a UAI script of hlid's kicking around somewhere: definitely on teambg, might also be at plaguezone.

#19 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:35 PM

TeamBG is down right now but the link was already given by Seanas.
As for the Kitlist.2da it should be in your game's override folder if you've been sure to install the v1.03A patch. If you haven't, then definately install the patch before modding your game.

Edit: Here's the script. Drop it in your game's script folder. (After unraring it.) Assign it to your character and hit the 'E' key.

Attached Files

• Attached File  UAI.rar   0bytes   2 downloads

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#20 -David-

-David-

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:13 PM

TeamBG is down right now but the link was already given by Seanas.
As for the Kitlist.2da it should be in your game's override folder if you've been sure to install the v1.03A patch. If you haven't, then definately install the patch before modding your game.

Edit: Here's the script. Drop it in your game's script folder. (After unraring it.) Assign it to your character and hit the 'E' key.

Ok I did what you said, assigned it, and pressed E. nothing happened... is this supposed to make me be able to use all items?? How could a script do this?Hmmm.....