Under-used Ideas in BG-series

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:06 AM

We can start an opposite topic of the "Over-used Ideas in the BG-series" topic. I wonder what other people have in mind. Let's not post silly ideas, such as the Sewage Golem Romance. ;)

I'll post mine:
- Extraplanar travel
- A non-humanoid NPC

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#2 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:15 AM

ok then here's mine,

1) New spells (?)
2) A normal dungeon (no quest links, just go in, kill monster's and loot)
3) A NPC that's blind, deaf or mute
4) Meeting character's from other games (should be possible due to planar travel)
Magus: "If history is to change, let it change! If their world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!"

Vash: "Normally when you buy an old, used bike, you're supposed to repair it before riding it!"
Wolfwood: "Are you dissing my beautiful shiny Angelina II?!?"
Vash: "I'm dissing YOU, not your stupid broken bike!"

It's all happening here

#3 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:19 AM

The world does not react nearly enough in response to CHARNAME's actions, a problem in most CRPGs.

An explanation for why a city needs all those weapons dealers, and why almost all of them stock magic weapons.

Non-joinable NPCs with their own lives. There are a few, there should be more.

More extensive and meaningful NPC agendas.

#4 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:40 AM

The shops all carying magic items always bothered the hell out of me. THat's why I was putting in a mage/smith guild into the mod I abandoned. I fealt the need to justify the abundance of magic items..

Ragnar; I was just thinking about it, and a nethack type of straight up dungeon crawl where the character s can go to explore without it being plot related - just to get experience or because it's there might not be that bad an idea..

I tell, if you want, you what I'll make up graphics for about 20 maps that look alike except for one or two room, and different floor plans. And you can make your dungeon crawl :).. I like that.

Edited by Chevar, 25 July 2004 - 08:47 AM.

"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#5 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:40 AM

- Empty wilderness areas between quest locations like there was in BG1. That was one of the biggest disappointments for me in BG2.
- Being able to generate a random familiar instead of being assigned one by alignment.
- The spelljammer ships should've been more than decorative. ie) I agree with the lack of extraplanar travel.
- Psionic system.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#6 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:56 AM

Funny, I thought extraplanar travel to be a bit over-used with two of the early quests focusing on it. Extraplanar travel should be extremely rare. Two events in the same city in a short period of time beggars the imagination.

#7 Ellderon

Ellderon

Lightbringer

• 78 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:04 PM

Non-joinable NPCs with their own lives. There are a few, there should be more.

More extensive and meaningful NPC agendas.

I second that!
- Tolkien fan
- Vision of Escaflowne fan
- Modeler and modder

#8 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:08 PM

1: politicking and research. Especially in SoA and ToB where your only encounter with the current political situation involves either killing public officials (Gromnir) or running errands for them. The Nalia kidnapping subquest is rather weak. These are the kinds of scenarios that bards and rogues

2: infiltration and subversion as tactics. It is a major theme of BGI but gets lost in SoA.

3: places where you should not poke the monster with a big stick. Just about all of the critters in the BG series can be defeated with the right combination of power and tactics. It would be nice to have a situation that is unwinable using battle tactics. Or even a situation where the best you can hope for is a stalemate.

#9 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:13 AM

- Empty wilderness areas between quest locations like there was in BG1. That was one of the biggest disappointments for me in BG2.
- The spelljammer ships should've been more than decorative. ie) I agree with the lack of extraplanar travel.

100% agreed.

Most under-used idea: a non-mage opponent(!!!!!)

崇高滑稽
·

#10 Ellderon

Ellderon

Lightbringer

• 78 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:16 PM

NPC's that have a FULL life on their own.

That means that they can have roomances with other party NPC's or charachters (Imagine Cerned or Anomen stealing Jaheira from you:D)
So, if you treat her wrong, you'll lose the girl.

And for NPC's to have their own agenda. Sometimes they should leave for a more extended period. If they tell you where the are going, if you go there you should see them there doing something.
Imagine Keldorn saying he has been called ot deal with some murder problems in the slums district and he leaves.
A bit later you go to the slums and see him chasing or fighting somone (as an in-game animation) and he either goes away(if his mission is still not finished you just see him running into some house) or stays and joins with you again
- Tolkien fan
- Vision of Escaflowne fan
- Modeler and modder

#11 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:35 PM

An actual NPC interested in the PC's taint _WITHOUT_ trying to kill him for it,
and who poses some philosophical questions
Engagement gifts for the romance-able characters... not just Jaheira.
Hell-bent baddies who knew they were going to die but attack you nonetheless
(Reminds me of lines from Full Spectrum Warrior: Hey, look over there! Those guys have c*jones!
Bravo Team Leader: That's not bravery. That's stupidity
(Spoken about infantrymen with RPGs against some heavy tanks)

#12 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:44 PM

NPC's that have a FULL life on their own.

That means that they can have roomances with other party NPC's or charachters (Imagine Cerned or Anomen stealing Jaheira from you:D)
So, if you treat her wrong, you'll lose the girl.

Ohh, I've toyed with the idea of an alternative romance for Forrest Fentan but I've not quite figured out which male NPC would be possibly gay or bisexual.

#13 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:56 PM

Heh, a lot of this stuff will be included in Lands of Intrigue ;).

-  A non-humanoid NPC

Well, one of the NPCs is a weretiger, so he's only humanoid some of the time ;). Also, see Andyr's recent one-day NPC Mur'Neth.

- New spells

There'll be a fair few (especially for divine spellcasters), but really you'll want to watch out for Galactygon's Lost Crossroads mod.

- A normal dungeon (no quest links, just go in, kill monster's and loot)

There'll be a bloody huge one! :D It's in ToB, so it'll be high-level to boot :P.

- Meeting character's from other games

There'll be a few characters who fans of a certain series of books will find extremely familiar. I know you said games, not books, but there are several computer games based on the series so the criteria is fulfilled ;).

- Non-joinable NPCs with their own lives. There are a few, there should be more.

There are a few characters who you'll keep bumping into in different locations...

- Empty wilderness areas between quest locations like there was in BG1

You'll be able to explore several areas in the Cloudpeaks mountains, and there'll be a couple more forest locations too. Also, there'll be random encounter areas added to ToB!

-  politicking and research

There's not so much research, but with the Council of Six and the Knights of the Shield involved in parts of LoI you can expect plenty of extra politicking...

At least one other thing mentioned in this thread will also be in LoI, but right now it's an OMG SECRIT!!!111

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 26 July 2004 - 01:56 PM.

#14 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:11 PM

Heh, a lot of this stuff will be included in Lands of Intrigue ;).

- New spells

There'll be a fair few (especially for divine spellcasters), but really you'll want to watch out for Galactygon's Lost Crossroads mod.

- A normal dungeon (no quest links, just go in, kill monster's and loot)

There'll be a bloody huge one! :D It's in ToB, so it'll be high-level to boot :P.

- Meeting character's from other games

There'll be a few characters who fans of a certain series of books will find extremely familiar. I know you said games, not books, but there are several computer games based on the series so the criteria is fulfilled ;).

At least one other thing mentioned in this thread will also be in LoI, but right now it's an OMG SECRIT!!!111

1) Excellent......... (on both accounts)

2) Sounding good

3) Close enough (I'm not going to complain ^_^ )

4)Secret eh? Would a bribe loosen your tongue? (If not point me to someone who will except it :P )
Magus: "If history is to change, let it change! If their world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!"

Vash: "Normally when you buy an old, used bike, you're supposed to repair it before riding it!"
Wolfwood: "Are you dissing my beautiful shiny Angelina II?!?"
Vash: "I'm dissing YOU, not your stupid broken bike!"

It's all happening here

#15 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:53 PM

Philosphical difference the point of throwing in a Hack&Slash dungeon in a game is to help the less experienced characters get a foot up before getting into the real meat of the adventure..

In AD&D a high level fighter can kill a whole bunch of kobolds in a single stroke.. unless they changed that since the last edition I actually played.. that's what I'd like to see!

Peasant, "Oh now we're sorrounded!"

Fighter, "Who care's? They're only kobolds!"

Peasant, "But there has to be at least thirty of them!"

Fighter, "True, it might take three of four swings. Just stay behind me."
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#16 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:01 PM

"Oooh that one looked bad! I'll probably have to polish that shield now!"
Here's an under used idea: Drow TC, taking place solely in the underdark. Any good characters attempting to RP have huge difficulties, or get laughed at. Or both.

#17 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:10 PM

A villain who avoids combat. ;)

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#18 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:19 PM

A turnip golem! Ha, what a ridiculous idea!

... Wait a minute. :|

#19 Arachnos

Arachnos
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 03:12 AM

The under-used Waukeen plot. You go to Trademeet, hear some blab about Waukeen being missing, and nothing after that.

I mean Goldspires, the largest temple of Waukeen in all of the realms just happens to be about 1 mile north of Athkala.

In fact, come on guys, some super modder should download 'For Duty & Deity' off the WOTC website, and code up a rescue Waukeen from the Abyss mod....

#20 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:16 AM

That actually would have made a semi-OK BGIII.

:turnip2: