Monk using katana....

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:14 AM

Is Yikari still limited to 1 attack per round while using CF like most monks?

I remember the days before the first BGII offical patch when monks got the same number of attacks while armed or unarmed.  It seems to me that it would be appropriate for Yikari to have this for the katana at least.

#2 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:11 AM

Yikari has two proficiency slots in katana atm.

Actually I am unfamiliar with monks in general :). Monks use thief proficiencies - can they only have one attack/round?

What I could do is make the katana that only he can wield give him extra attacks/round <_<. Sound like a good idea?

Thx for taking an interest, Rathwellin ^_^

#3 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:31 AM

Yep. When armed Monks get only 1 attack per round.

Now the second proficiency star *might* add and extra 1/2 attack but I doubt it since it doesn?t work for non-warriors like Swashbucklers.

My suggestion would be the following:

If the player gives Yikari CF, have Yikari tell the PC that he will remove the binding wards that were placed on the weapon but that he suggests that no one but himself use the weapon after this.

Then, via script, replace the standard CF with a version that adds 2 attacks but is only useable by monks. This is very similar to what Sarevok does with the Sword of Chaos in Ascension.

You could have ?non-warded? versions of the +3 CF and the +5 CF. However just FYI I never play BG with Item Upgrade. Tried it twice and felt that it was too overpowered.

#4 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:41 AM

Hmm, it would be far simpler just to have the attacks/round bonus invisible. However, if you give CF to Yikari, only he can use it anyway, so it won't matter.

#5 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:25 AM

True Enough.

#6 Faye

Faye
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:38 AM

So you're saying all those thieves and bards out there can look forward to having a +2 attacks/round celestial fury (thanks to use any item ability) ? Or are you going to make it a cursed item, and immune to remove curse?

#7 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:25 PM

No, you misunderstand.

I have made new items which seem the same as the originals except in the following respect:

They can only be used by LN human monks with a DEX of 18 and a WIS of 19. I reckon that narrows it down a bit ;).

EDIT:
*Rereads- Use Any Item* :o didn't think of that. OK, any suggestions? :huh:

#8 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:04 PM

Let Yikari have exra attacks per round as a special ability tied to an undropable invisible item. Make him pay for it with an XP penalty, or by nerfing some other monk ability. He gets the ability to properly use CF that you want him to have, or any other bladed weapon. Change his sheet to reflect the fact that he studied Empty-Time-technique in Kara Tur, which granted him greater skill with weapons than most Monks.

His teacher was a Shidogen (史道元 ), a History Monk.

(Note: The above is joke Nihongo)

(Also, not sure it will display in all browsers)

#9 Faye

Faye
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:54 PM

That reminds of something i wanted to know...

Items, and their abilities. Is it possible to link an item's abilities to character attributes, so IF the character as 18 strength or more then weapon could have an additional effect. The real reason i wanted to know is because i thought it would be nice to steal IWD2's double strength bonus for 2 handed weapons.

(so you could add the aditional attacks only if the weilder was a monk)

but i don't think it's possible or someone would have done it already... :(

#10 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:01 AM

Unfortunately something like this can only be done by scripting or character level, not attributes.

So if any rogue has DEX 18, WIS 19, and Use Any Item, they may be able to use his CF, but this is unlikely. I could also script Yikari to turn hostile and leave the party if anyone equips his CF apart from him.

#11 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:21 AM

UAI doesn't bypass attribute requirements. If you set the wis & dex requirement then UAI will not help the NPCs that can get it.

Now if a PC wanted to cheese this way then that's their own business IMO. I would vote against a script.

#12 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:31 AM

UAI doesn't bypass attribute requirements. If you set the wis & dex requirement then UAI will not help the NPCs that can get it.

Now if a PC wanted to cheese this way then that's their own business IMO. I would vote against a script.

I quite agree. Y's CF will therefore give him an attack/round bonus, but be only usable by him.

In any case, if he is told to leave the party without holding/having his sword, he turns hostile.

#13 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

Yikari's CF is meant to be a viable, if not preferential, alternative to his fists.

Since those fists become +2 1D20 weapons, I have also decided that Yikari's CF will aceive a critical hit on a 18-20, as well as giving him +2 to his attacks/round (bringing it up to 3 normally).

#14 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:24 AM

Whould not a * in the Single Weapon Fighting prof do the same?

#15 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:00 PM

Single Weapon Fighting proficiency only adds an AC bonus when one weapon is equipped. Also the proficiency bonuses change for different classes, so I don't know if I can just slap on Grand Mastery on his CF.

#16 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:51 AM

Single Weapon Fighting proficiency only adds an AC bonus when one weapon is equipped

No, it changes criticals to 19-20 as well.

Since those fists become +2 1D20 weapons, I have also decided that Yikari's CF will aceive a critical hit on a 18-20, as well as giving him +2 to his attacks/round (bringing it up to 3 normally).

Sorry, but this gets a bit too powerful here. First, a critical on 18-20 means a x3 Critical bonus, which is crazy IMO. MAYBE 19-20 (it's still a doubled chance), but I feel to see the reasons for this too. Kensai's should ALWAYS be better with a katana than a monk, no matter the training - and they don't get any Critical bonuses at all.
The attack number bonus is acceptable, but only at a high level, for example at the 20th.
Another issues are his fists. If we assume that he concentrates on the sword techniques, it sounds rather unbelieveable that his fists get just as powerful as those of a normal "unarmed" monk. For Yikari, those better monk fists should be removed, and his fists progression should stop at +1.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#17 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:47 AM

Hmm. I realise the bonuses I have proposed are powerful, but this is because an uncharismatic char will have to give Yikari CF, as opposed to his Grand Master Kensai (or whatever), and I want the Player to have a good reason to use Yikari with the sword as opposed to his fists. I might stop his fist progression before the last upgrade, though.

Perhaps x2 critical threat is enough.

Edited by Shed, 20 August 2004 - 03:47 AM.

#18 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:00 AM

Don't forget too that CF is one of the most powerful weapons in the game. Even if Fists do more damage on average that sword is nasty.

* or ** in Single Weapon Style and ** in Katana should do it IMO.

#19 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:33 AM

Again, any chance that these nasty bonuses will be lowered somewhat? Really, that +2 attacks should be more than enough, that insane 18+ critical modifier sounds rather unbalanced.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#20 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:41 AM

Again, any chance that these nasty bonuses will be lowered somewhat? Really, that +2 attacks should be more than enough, that insane 18+ critical modifier sounds rather unbalanced.

TG, you forgot that Shed wants to make Yikari to be better with Celestial Fury than with his fists.