Monk using katana....

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:27 AM

you forgot that Shed wants to make Yikari to be better with Celestial Fury than with his fists

Hmm?! :blink: Better? Gods, a monk's fist is clearly one of the best weapons in the game at HIGH levels. And don't forget, you have to pay for the great damage - you won't have any special bonuses like elemental damage or stun attacks. CF on the other hand is one of the best weapons in the game WITHOUT any buffs - it stuns targets at failed save, deals electrical damage... now you'd impove this further by increasing the Criticals to x3(!!!) and adding more attacks/round..? :huh:
Frankly, you are right - this will be much better than any normal (legal!) monk using fists. Is this a good thing? You decide. <_<
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#22 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:26 AM

I actually don't have a problem with CF adding +2 attacks, ** in Katana and * or ** in Single Weapon Style.

That would net Yikari 3 attacks and slightly improved criticals, THACO, & Damage. Oh, and +1 AC. :)

CF would still only stun & grant electrical damage 5% of the time. That's not too crazy IMO as you would still be better off having a Kensai or Fighter/Mage wielding it.

This would also be vs monk fists that have 4 attacks per round, do more damage, and that can get to be +4 vs CF's unmodded +3.

Once the crit % starts changing on the base weapon though I too get worried. It would be easy to go too far in making CF 'better' for Yik man.

#23 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:09 AM

Woah! Completely failed to notice all posts after Rathwellin's one on Aug 20th! Sorry!

I have taken out the x3 Critical hit bonus from Yikari (released woohoo :D !). all other bonuses I believe to be justified.

#24 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 10:34 PM

*Bows down before Shed*
Many thanks, this seems much better now! ^_^ :)
I'm going to download him as soon as I find some time to play BG2 again.
Posted Image

#25 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:00 AM

*Bows down before Shed*

Careful... pride is a terrible thing. ;)

#26 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:21 AM

Careful... pride is a terrible thing

Heh, who'd know this better than myself... :rolleyes: ;)
Posted Image

#27 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 01:25 AM

Actually, don't create a new, unusable weapon. Instead, edit the original CF and add a pair of UsedEFF Effects to it, since this way you can have the bonus attack effects happen only on the monk. Rogue Re-balancing (well, the mod by aVenger, I don't remeber which component) does a similar thing with the Backstabbing Sword.
If you don't have the aforementioned mod and want me to send you the needed files as an example, PM me your e-mail address.

Edited by the bigg, 04 September 2004 - 01:26 AM.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#28 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 02:59 AM

Actually, don't create a new, unusable weapon. Instead, edit the original CF and add a pair of UsedEFF Effects to it, since this way you can have the bonus attack effects happen only on the monk. Rogue Re-balancing (well, the mod by aVenger, I don't remeber which component) does a similar thing with the Backstabbing Sword.
If you don't have the aforementioned mod and want me to send you the needed files as an example, PM me your e-mail address.

Another concern is that once he has been given Celestial Fury, he wants to hang on to it. The bonuses are a question of balance.

#29 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

For the next version it would be nice to implement some drawbacks on his natural "fist-progression" as a monk. For example his fists shouldn't become more powerful than +2 (in other words, he shouldn't get the more powerful monk fist .itms as he levels up). I'm not sure how this is doable, but at least it would be nice to try.
Also, since he is focusing on katanas, it would be an interesting and logical decision to remove his Quivering Palm ability and add Kai instead.

All other monk bonuses and effects should remain unchanged IMHO.
Posted Image

#30 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:14 PM

For the next version it would be nice to implement some drawbacks on his natural "fist-progression" as a monk. For example his fists shouldn't become more powerful than +2 (in other words, he shouldn't get the more powerful monk fist .itms as he levels up). I'm not sure how this is doable, but at least it would be nice to try.
Also, since he is focusing on katanas, it would be an interesting and logical decision to remove his Quivering Palm ability and add Kai instead.

View Post

That's such an awesome idea :D! Thanks, TG. OK, I'll have to investigate kits...

#31 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:09 PM

Instead of mucking around with kits, I'd just script in his restrictions/bonus changes. Since he's an NPC with a custom script, this wouldn't be much of a task.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#32 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:53 AM

Instead of mucking around with kits, I'd just script in his restrictions/bonus changes. Since he's an NPC with a custom script, this wouldn't be much of a task.

View Post

You mean that he is given an innate ability when he reaches a certain level? Ooh, clever :).

#33 Gothic Rose

Gothic Rose

Sexkitten

• 231 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 03:28 AM

View Post

Why not just toss in scripting that allows him to dual into another kit? I know it's possible. THen, just have him be a dualled Monk/Kensai?
Posted Image

#34 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:55 AM

Well, I could actually change his kit to Kensai altogether, but this would probably not work and in any case require further re-balancing.

I don't really want him to be a kensai, just to have a hint of kensai. I think one kai ability is quite adequate, and the fist reduction makes sense too.

I have written a script which should replace Quivering Palm with Kai, but I haven't tested it yet. Will do so asap.

#35 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:42 AM

Is there a .2da which determines monk fist progression?

I'm looking but can't find how it's done :unsure:.

#36 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:45 AM

Is there a .2da which determines monk fist progression?

I'm looking but can't find how it's done :unsure:.