BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:12 PM

Post it here.

#2 Imrahil

Imrahil
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:56 PM

It took me a while to figure out what I felt was "missing" from Hubelpot, until I finally realized it was a lack of reaction to events (like when you first talk to Jan - although I should point out that during that one he says he's "in a fix" even if you've already solved his quest). For example, some places where it seems like he should interject, but doesn't are...

- when talking to Flydian about the Druid problem in Trademeet
- when talking to the Mayor of Trademeet (you could even have him force the "...or have they condemned him for being a Druid?" choice & it'd seem appropriate)
- when meeting Cernd & when meeting Faldorn
- in the Tanner's basement (several NPC's speak up there)
- when meeting Valygar (he lives in a cabin - he must have a garden, after all... :) )
- somewhere in the Circus (it's right outside his shop - he must have noticed)
- maybe even meeting Aran Linvail or Bodhi - several NPC's express distaste with working with one or even both (Linvail seems more appropriate for a comment, as he's probably more aware of the Shadow Thieves & their practices)

There's probably other good places I didn't think of, but I was kind of expecting something from him in those & was disappointed that he had nothing to say.

- Imrahil

#3 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 07:04 PM

Thanks. Interjections are a high priority item for the Beta 2.

Currently he does have a Tree of Life dialog, a hell speech and taunt, a fate spirit dialog, a Volo dialog, and and Godhood advice.

While many of those suggestion are appropriate, one rule of the mod is that Hubelpot is intimidated by powerful figures, and that they in turn ignore him. Talking about Trademeet must go in; speaking in front of Linveil is something that would scare the life out of Hubelpot, at least until he'd spent a lot of time with CHARNAME.

Thanks again for the feedback. :)

#4 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:38 AM

Yes, as Bob said, interjections are top priority.

I just want to clarify what Bob said: Hubelpot is a regular commoner. People with power and authority scares him. We consider it very unlikely that he would even dare to speak to someone like Aran Linvail, Tolgeiras or even Cheif Inspector Brega. He might object to the mayor of Trademeet because of the strong druid-fixation of that conversation, but if it wasn't for that, he'd be quiet there as well.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#5 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:49 AM

I don't see him speaking to the Mayor od Trademeet, but he would speak up to CHARNAME when they found Cernd, and when the Druids spoke in the grove.

#6 Imrahil

Imrahil
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:05 AM

That's how I pictured his interjections as well - more of a comment to CHARNAME ("Ah've heard of this Linvail fella, CHARNAME... etc., etc.", "Ah was wondering what happened to the Circus all the sudden..." rather than addressing the person, although I could see him addressing the Mayor of Trademeet directly - a bit of outrage overwhelming his normal intimidation.

From the keeping him alive thread... the first time he sees a Dragon should get some response, particularly the shock at discovering what Lord Jierden really is ("That's Lord Jierden?!? A bleedin' Dragon?! I don't know if Ah'm up fer this, CHARNAME." plus your line about the missus not believing this) - everyone seems to take this too much in stride ("Oh, that guy's a Dragon... huh... go figure..."), but I could see Hubelpot having a strong reaction.

- Imrahil

#7 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:13 AM

I can see him reacting to the shift to dragon form. :)

He wouldn't say he wasn't up to it, but he might say something like. "He's a bloody dragon! Oh hell. We're gonna get ate."

#8 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:56 AM

:lol: Excellent! Glad to see this project moving along.

#9 Beyshaliban

Beyshaliban

With A Vengeance

• 738 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:36 AM

Wanted to let you guys know that Hublepot is a wonderful addition to the party. :D

I refrained from peaking at the posted banters beforehand so my PC was very surprised and touched by a nice dinner with Anomen. Cute idea. :lol:

And since I know that there are a few token problems my PC didn't mind to be adressed as 'lord'. ;)

#10 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:44 AM

And since I know that there are a few token problems my PC didn't mind to be adressed as 'lord'. ;)

Thank you Bey. :) We will try to take care of that in Beta2.

#11 -Kal-

-Kal-

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:11 AM

Just got him in my party and almost died laughing (the bear song :D )
This guy is on his way to become my favourite NPC ever! :thumb:

#12 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:23 AM

Just dont take any ideas home form the hedghog song kids ;)

#13 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:27 AM

Glad to hear that!

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#14 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:50 AM

Glad to hear that!

I just love it when a plan comes together

#15 Diana

Diana
  • Modder
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:52 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posters -- I've now had him in my party for a while and he really does need interjections, especially if CHARNAME is contemplating doing an evil act to make him a well rounded NPC.

#16 -Guest_Sophia_*-

-Guest_Sophia_*-

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:41 PM

I just installed this mod and I wanted to say how much I am enjoying it, and how well done it is. Hubelpot feels both original and like a character that my PC would *like* to have around. :) Thank you very much, great work!

Sophia

#17 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:20 PM

I just installed this mod and I wanted to say how much I am enjoying it, and how well done it is.  Hubelpot feels both original and like a character that my PC would *like* to have around. :)  Thank you very much, great work!

Sophia

Thank you very much for the positive response! :)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#18 -UsagiRyu-

-UsagiRyu-

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:08 PM

I just installed this mod and I wanted to say how much I am enjoying it, and how well done it is.  Hubelpot feels both original and like a character that my PC would *like* to have around. :)  Thank you very much, great work!

Sophia

Thank you very much for the positive response! :)

View Post

I have to agree * :thumb: * Hubelpot is like a great fatherly figure to my Charname and she needs it really what with Gorion gone and all... I like him. And i can't wait for release two :D

#19 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:19 AM

Thank you. :)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#20 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:29 AM

I have used Hubelpot in a party on a couple of occasions and would recommend to anyone to try the NPC out. The song is very funny (depends on your sense of humour), the scene in the kitchen is very well written (got a reaction from me) and the interjections are in character. The NPC is not a hero in the traditional sense but some-one trying to pay a debt off and not scared of showing his fear. The NPC stats and the equipment make sense for the situation described. It got to the stage that H is my preferred healer though I miss some of those cleric only spells.

Improvments - well the interaction with Bioware NPC is fine but there is probably a core of us that use few or none in our parties (mine only includes Nalia by Chapter 3) so the idea above of more interaction with the PC or in the quest giving/ finishing bits sounds good to me. [Can you also remove the Merchant Guild's gold from the inventory as well once you get to the appropriate point?]

Overall a very good mod.

regards

SleepingDog