Jump to content


Photo

creating an area


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shinook

Shinook
  • Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:15 AM

To create walls, etc... I use IETME, that's ok. But if I want to create the complete map, how must I do it ? ( drawing it, and coloring with Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro ? )

Because IETME is good, but we are limitated in the creation of maps ( for the walls and the decoration especially )

Edited by Shinook, 23 June 2005 - 03:16 AM.


#2 -Guest-

-Guest-
  • Guest

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:28 AM

First of all, a lot of people replying to this post are going to tell you to stop using IETME and start using DLTCEP. It is what I was told when I posted I used IETME for area creation, and for good reason. Once you have learned how to create an area from an existing .bmp file using IETME it is a good idea to read a few tutorials on using DLTCEP to create areas and see how it i done in that program - it is generally more powerful but less user friendly than almost every other program used for IE modding. Once you begin to understand how an area file is put together you are ready to "graduate" up to the more versatile program :).

However, you were asking about creating a .bmp file. The preferred method is to use either Photoshop or Paint Shop to modify an existing area. Using the clone, layering and other functions of these programs it is possible to modify an area beyond all recognition, adding buildings from other areas and changing pretty much every aspect of the map. Have a look at www.blackwyrmlair.net for some examples of user-made maps and a few nifty downloads.

The_Swordalizer

#3 Shed

Shed

    -Shed-

  • Modder
  • 2638 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:35 AM

*Opens mouth*

First of all, a lot of people replying to this post are going to tell you to stop using IETME and start using DLTCEP.

View Post

*Closes it again*

#4 Lord-Jyssev

Lord-Jyssev

    LĪJ

  • Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

yovaneth has many dltcep area creation tutorials... look in the tutorial board... :)

#5 Shinook

Shinook
  • Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:36 AM

Ok, thank you all. But even if it's quite difficult, I think it is possible to create a .bmp for a map in IETME, if you have the different elements to insert ( trees, houses ), that I picked up from other official maps of BG1 and 2, IWD1 and 2, and PST.

#6 Rabain

Rabain

    God

  • Member
  • 653 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:14 AM

Yes it is possible to create a bmp in IETME but it is very time consuming. You need tiles for all the things you want: grass, rocks, tree's, shrubs, houses, fences, signposts, barrells, crates etc

There are a lot of tiles floating around for use, however Paintshop or Photshops ability to clone these directly from existing images far outweighs the use of tiles. I thinks tiles will begin to die a slow death from here on out, except perhaps for new unique buildings. Take a look at Blackwyrms WTP Community Assets for more details:

http://www.blackwyrm.../community.html
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#7 Shinook

Shinook
  • Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:20 AM

Yeah, I know this link, and I'm using it to pick up some areas which interest me ( I'm thinking of BG1's areas ). And in IETME, I take the tile I need, like buildings, floors...