Photo

[Bugs report] Couronne de Cuivre

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:16 AM

Bugs found by the french community from the "Couronne de Cuivre" will be reported here. An exhaustive list, in french, could be found here. I will translate a bug only if two people have had the same bug; I'll keep the same numbering as CC. Fixes in progress can be found on Seanas's topic.

This post will be regularly edited, and don't hesitate to ask if a bug is not clear, or even to confirm a bug.

1) mod? - Underdark, Ust Natha - Lesaonar don't go hostile when he fights 4 elves, taking dammages without dying.

Fixing on progress.

3) mod? - Underdark - Coming back from east passage, every Githyanki but Symiaz don't go hostile.

Fixing on progress.

4) SoS, Umar hill - Depending the team formation, kid Wallet from the tavern is stuck and cannot put out the people; game get stuck as well.

Fixing on progress.

8) SoS, Soubar - weapons taken by the mayor are not given back.

The same problem as at Spellhold; one can bypass the bug putting away his weapons before the mission (as well as Spellhold), but you have to be aware of that bug BEFORE. IMHO, it's a critical bug, wich doesn't improve the game immersion...

Fixing on progress.

9) SoS, Sureblade castle - Rolf's bug, if you kill him immediatly, you won't be able to go through up to stairs.

There is a workshop thread talking about how fixing it here.

11) Casting cleric spell "Air pocket" give a nice crash to desktop.

Fixing on progress.

14) SoS, Sureblade castle - A damn trap is activated when Rolf flees, locking a door, impeding everyone to open it.

There is a workshop thread talking about how fixing it here.

15) TS -  Yoshimo leaves when going to Thetyr woods; at this point, removing Kachiko is one-way, you cannot engage here again, she stoods mute.

Fixing on progress.

16) TDD, Purskal - When you save the game in Purskal mines, reloading the game spawn undeads again. It becomes pretty difficult, since if you save before the liches (yep, I got 5 liches, not one...), and die trying to kill them, you'll have to face again the monsters before hopping to fight the liches.

Fixing on progress.
(yahoooo !)

17) TS - rings of freedom don't go well with rapidity boots. It'll slow down the character.

Temporary solution : withdraw RING09.ITM from override.

18) TDD - Orgroth's tower, when team go back to Riatavin. Seanas's fix was intended to avoid the crash, and actually, it doesn't crash anymore. But two mages (abraza-something) spawn, and sometimes, I do not find demons. Even worst, sometimes, after the fight between the "good" and "bad" mages, I can't kill the bad one since the "good" one doesn't come back.

Pretty difficult to reproduce, some people say they had it, some not. More infos here and here.

20) Watcher keep - When fighting Asgaereth (end of third level), his lieutenants don't turn hostile.

24) SoS, Soubar - Refuse to be mayor, and all the team will have the same kit's name as PC.

Well, I think accepting mayor is not a admissible solution, Seanas :lol:

25) TS - Sime, when you resurrect her, she has jerky moves.

Vlad advices to reload every time she dies, instead of resurrecting her.

26) Watchers keep, third level - when fighting Aranthis, a Tiefling (on the right) doesn't turn hostile.

29) Watchers keep - if i try to get the 4th blue one a certain mage should be spanned (i think FSMage04). but then the game crashes

More informations here.

Transmitted.

31) Some dragons can be backstabbed, can be charmed, and can fall unconscious

More infos here

Edited by Psykotik, 01 October 2004 - 04:28 AM.

#2 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:58 AM

good to see this list translated psykotik. as i never stop telling people, i'm australian: we barely speak english, let alone a second language :P. and babelfish can only do so much...

3) mod? - Underdark - Coming back from east passage, every Githyanki but Symiaz don't go hostile.

yep, i've had this one too, several times. i'll look into it.

4) SoS, Umar hill - Depending the team formation, kid Wallet from the tavern is stuck and cannot put out the people; game get stuck as well.

the poor kid has trouble getting around all of those beefy adventurers in their full armour! not much to be done if you get this other than reload - i'd hope it was a rare problem though: i've *almost* been caught by it a few times, but he's found a way between the tables eventually.

there's not really much point in trying to fix this (or the similar situation in Spellhold). the way the script works, evry single item to be taken and returned has to be listed. an extremely long list of items *are* listed, but there is always going to be some - the rare and unusual ones, unfortunately - that aren't listed in the relevant scripts. we could spend weeks adding every single last item from every single last mod, and then another will be released with a new, you-beaut item, and we'll be back with the 'what happened to my item?' problem.

Hlid's solution is a role-playing one: imagine Irenicus in Spellhold and the Major in Soubar are distributing your really good stuff to their underlings... My solution is typically game-breaking: put everything in a bag of holding before each event - true, it breaks immersion, but it's a lot more elegant to code :D than an enormous laundry-list of items which will *always* miss something. In Soubar you can pick your stuff up off the ground as soon as you've been kitted out with uniforms, in Spellhold you can either put the bag of holding on a table or lower the difficulty setting to 'easiest' for that one scene.

24) SoS, Soubar - Refuse to be mayor, and all the team will have the same kit's name as PC.

hey, you've got a situation where you a given a choice between two options, neither of which will have any effect on the story. option one is a bit broken, option two works fine *and* gives a whole heap more XP than option one. where's the bug? :P

you didn't list the problem with the cleric spell 'air pocket'. has anyone else tried this spell, and if so, did it cause a CTD? there have been a number of reports, both on La Couronne de Cuivre and on plaguezone, that this spell is buggy. can anyone confirm this?

Edited by seanas, 27 September 2004 - 07:00 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#3 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:28 AM

good to see this list translated psykotik. as i never stop telling people, i'm australian: we barely speak english, let alone a second language :P. and babelfish can only do so much...

Well, it seems to me you understood pretty well french, since you fix or are going to fix some bugs BEFORE I translated them... you liar ! :P

bug 4) Maybe you could re-arrange the scene ?

bug 8) I understand the problem, but we have to find a solution. Hlid's solution is frustrating, and your's need the player knows what's going to happen. In Spellhold, as I wasn't aware of the bug, and I didn't want to make it through again, I spend more than two hours to puting back the items to caracters. Yes, I know, I would have been better to make the hunting of Body again, it would have need less time. But I didn't knew I was going to spend an evening on it :o

As I like so much the way Horred coded this part (even with my high level party, fights were challenging with weapons so commons), could we find a solution ? Let's say, imagine all items falling down by an John's spell... would that be easier to code ?

bug 24) Well, what about removing second choice ? Is it doable ?

you didn't list the problem with the cleric spell 'air pocket'. has anyone else tried this spell, and if so, did it cause a CTD? there have been a number of reports, both on La Couronne de Cuivre and on plaguezone, that this spell is buggy. can anyone confirm this?

No one has confirmed it before; I thought I tried it, but I was wrong, it was the wrong spell... I tried it right now, and... crash. Very strange bug ! It's going to be added immediately to the list.

Edited by Psykotik, 27 September 2004 - 07:36 AM.

#4 Ferrumach

Ferrumach
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:25 AM

The same problem as at Spellhold; one can bypass the bug putting away his weapons before the mission (as well as Spellhold), but you have to be aware of that bug BEFORE. IMHO, it's a critical bug, wich doesn't improve the game immersion...

For a newbie who discovers BP, some ligns of dialog could be added:

*Spellhold: at saemon's or Aran's dialog just when the group arrives in brynlaw :
"hem ...i think you should better hide all your items in a trunk just before entering in spellhold... "

*SOS: replace the lign of dialog of the soldiers ( sergent) who says that it is impossible to hide our equipment ;)

( for example )
" to avoid all futures recriminations we strongly advise you to deposit the major part of your equipment in a trunk "
I remember there is a trunk or other place ... to put it and after a script could lock it ...

or create notes ( maybe more simple !? ) gave by the mayor of soubar or by saemon or the contact ( the man who is killed in the tavern ) and perth ( his corpse) : the 2 ways to go in spellhold.

-is this a complicated "solution" ( there is better of course as psykotik says it...) ?

Edited by Ferrumach, 27 September 2004 - 08:28 AM.

#5 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:57 AM

Always plenty of ideas, ferru... I think you solution would be more "elegant", and has the great advantage of beeing easier (at least, I think, with my coding knowledge as high as a dwarf).

But in that way, it HAS to be very very clear to the player he HAS to put down his stuff.

Nice idea, really. Even if having a chat in english looks pretty strange :P

Edited by Psykotik, 27 September 2004 - 08:59 AM.

#6 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:59 AM

I also noticed and confirm the following bugs :

1) mod? - Underdark, Ust Natha - Lesaonar don't go hostile when he fights 4 elves, taking dammages without dying.

3) mod? - Underdark - Coming back from east passage, every Githyanki but Symiaz don't go hostile

8) SoS, Soubar - weapons taken by the mayor are not given back

16) TDD, Purskal - When you save the game in Purskal mines, reloading the game spawn undeads again. It becomes pretty difficult, since if you save before the liches (yep, I got 5 liches, not one...), and die trying to kill them, you'll have to face again the monsters before hopping to fight the liches.

18) TDD - Orgroth's tower, when team go back to Riatavin. Seanas's fix was intended to avoid the crash, and actually, it doesn't crash anymore. But two mages (abraza-something) spawn, and sometimes, I do not find demons.(I also get teleported to mage district every time i go to DD3300.)

PS : actually the 16 bug WAS REALLY FRUSTRATING....i happened to have to fight 5 or 6 times the same lich meaning an impossible battle (imprisonment by all liches, symbols etc) SO CHEAT-CTRLY WAS ESSENTIAL...i hate to cheat but i was forced to...not to mention the 50 skeleton warriors and ghostlike drain stat monsters....man this REALLY sucked... most frustrating bug ever found....

Edited by Radagast-The-Brown, 27 September 2004 - 09:00 AM.

Ignorance Is Bliss

#7 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:14 AM

I also noticed and confirm the following bugs :

1) 3) 8) 16) 18)

Thanks for sharing your experience, Radagast ;)

PS : actually the 16 bug WAS REALLY FRUSTRATING....i happened to have to fight 5 or 6 times the same lich meaning an impossible battle (imprisonment by all liches, symbols etc) SO CHEAT-CTRLY WAS ESSENTIAL...i hate to cheat but i was forced to...not to mention the 50 skeleton warriors and ghostlike drain stat monsters....man this REALLY sucked... most frustrating bug ever found....

Say... would you mind lobbying Seanas, please ? Do not hesitate to plague him continuously, sending a lot of PM. I want to see this bug fixed too, but Seanas has some strong arguments against the fixing. Maybe if he receives 3 or 4 hundreds PM by day, he will change his mind.

(I'm going to have an additional enemy in this forum... :ph34r: )

Furthermore, I remember Ferrumach (if I'm right) saying he met 1 liche in Purskal, when I met 5...

#8 Ferrumach

Ferrumach
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:09 AM

16)maybe i will make provocation... but this quest is very easy (for example the first floor of purskall is empty ) and at the end we find a terrific belt ( 24 in strenght !!! )and have it chapter 2 is possible.... ;) ).
-I like the idea to have more undeads when you load ^_^ ( undeads are like a cancer...) ( there is an item of dark ritual which uses too the load: a cursed ring , immune to time stop but each time you load you loose 20 HP: good idea i think...)
-Psykotik, I understand the problem if you had 5 lichs :ph34r: :D
-But in fact i cannot say i haven't this "bug" on my installation.

Other opinion ?

Edited by Ferrumach, 27 September 2004 - 11:59 AM.

#9 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:58 PM

Say... would you mind lobbying Seanas, please ? Do not hesitate to plague him continuously, sending a lot of PM. I want to see this bug fixed too, but Seanas has some strong arguments against the fixing. Maybe if he receives 3 or 4 hundreds PM by day, he will change his mind.

(I'm going to have an additional enemy in this forum... :ph34r: )

As much as I'd like to do what u suggest and as much as I'd like this bug fixed, sorry to tell you that I WON'T make seanas's life harder...
Look i really respect seanas and hlid and appreciate mostly their work till far, and they r NOT really obliged to do anything...besides they don't get paid...I wouldn't ever like to make their life hardest...cause all the annoying pms will do nothing more than pester them...
The truth is : this bugfix should INDEED be fixed for many reasons but if they cant understand or are bored to do it, I won't blame them...I CAN live with this bug... I know it would be better if it was solved but it's not like I will die or something...
It is in their choosing if this bug remains or not...not ours...

PS: life sucks...live with it...

(Btw I'd like to know Seanas's opinion on why this bug should stay....)

Edited by Radagast-The-Brown, 27 September 2004 - 03:01 PM.

Ignorance Is Bliss

#10 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:23 PM

re: 8.

For a newbie who discovers BP, some lines of dialog could be added:
*Spellhold: at saemon's or Aran's dialog just when the group arrives in brynlaw :
"hem ...i think you should better hide all your items in a trunk just before entering in spellhold... "
*SOS: replace the line of dialog of the soldiers ( sergent) who says that it is impossible to hide our equipment
( for example )
" to avoid all futures recriminations we strongly advise you to deposit the major part of your equipment in a trunk "
I remember there is a trunk or other place ... to put it and after a script could lock it ...

i really like this idea. i'm always hesistant to change things that are working the way they were intended, as anyone who liked the game the way it was would be within their rights to be cranky about 'unnecessary' changes. and it means i have to actually be creative :blink: - editing is *so* much easier! and i was also hoping to avoid having to learn how to patch dialogue :unsure: . but yeah, i think we can work with that suggestion - find a way to give the PC an on-screen warning before each item taking.

re: 16. as i said in a PM, i know the script is not supposed to work this way (infinite re-spawns). however, with the exception of the vale of shadows, undead just *aren't* a threat in a BP game: there are simply too many undead-killing items and spells in a BP game for them to be a problem.

the only reasons why the vale of shadows is different are a: the creatures there had unique, ridiculously strong powers; and b: you can only go there at the start of the game, when you have no access to the undead-killing weapons or spells.

purskal though, is somewhere you can't get to without being a decent distance into Chapter 2. so you can load up on 'searing light' (3rd level cleric spell), 'sunray' and the like, you can equip the daystar (you have to pass by the crypt the daystar is in to *get* to Purskal for the first time), st. cuthbert's mace, molytyr, etc, and the undead will fall like flies, even the lich. so making it easier is not a priority. and hey, they only respawn if you die, or if you run away and come back again - i think a penalty for being cheesy is a *good* thing :) . it *can* be difficult the first time through, but *every* battle in vanilla BGII can be difficult the first time through, so that's not much of a criticism.

on the other hand, if someone else wanted to re-code that script, i'd have no problem with including it in the 'optional nerfs' component of the next patch version...

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#11 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:50 PM

i really like this idea. i'm always hesistant to change things that are working the way they were intended, as anyone who liked the game the way it was would be within their rights to be cranky about 'unnecessary' changes.

I totally agree with you, we have to respect the artistic vision. On the other hand, no mod maker intended the bug... adding a few lines to bypass it would not anger makers (or I hope so), nor broke artistic vision.

and it means i have to actually be creative :blink: - editing is *so* much easier! and i was also hoping to avoid having to learn how to patch dialogue :unsure: . but yeah, i think we can work with that suggestion - find a way to give the PC an on-screen warning before each item taking.

Couldn't Hlid help you ?

#12 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:23 PM

and it means i have to actually be creative :blink: - editing is *so* much easier! and i was also hoping to avoid having to learn how to patch dialogue :unsure: . but yeah, i think we can work with that suggestion - find a way to give the PC an on-screen warning before each item taking.

Couldn't Hlid help you ?

Thanks a lot. <_<

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#13 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:50 PM

LOL! :lol:

#14 -Chev_at_Work-

-Chev_at_Work-

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:51 PM

How much work do you want Hlid to do??

#15 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:55 PM

Ya know, if we're just going to sign Hlid up for stuff I can think of a few things... ;)

#16 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:05 PM

*Opens two windows on his desktop. One is titled "Delete Forums" the other "Ban Users"...* :fish:

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#17 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:16 PM

Geez, just a little teasing and he whips out the fish. :o

;)

#18 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:55 AM

c'mon, hlid, do you remember how do you begin a good party ? One beer, two beers, and so on until you feel better. Let's say, bugs are exactly the same thing; you begin with the first one, and cannot stop anymore, and the more you fix, the better you feel ;)

Anyway, I wasn't aware you were so busy :ph34r: , neither I mean to be rude... was just looking for some help. B)

#19 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:52 AM

purskal though, is somewhere you can't get to without being a decent distance into Chapter 2. so you can load up on 'searing light' (3rd level cleric spell), 'sunray' and the like, you can equip the daystar (you have to pass by the crypt the daystar is in to *get* to Purskal for the first time), st. cuthbert's mace, molytyr, etc, and the undead will fall like flies, even the lich. so making it easier is not a priority. and hey, they only respawn if you die, or if you run away and come back again - i think a penalty for being cheesy is a *good* thing . it *can* be difficult the first time through, but *every* battle in vanilla BGII can be difficult the first time through, so that's not much of a criticism.

I actually happened to go to purskal at VERY low lvl....u see the lich with the daystar died incredibly easy...(it just cast black blade of disaster, never attacked and had no real protections...ultra easy)...so I happened to go to purskal at such a low lvl, that i didnt have any high lvl spell or any good weapon except daystar...(noone had a proficiency in it by the way)...so it was just searing light...i could neither turn any of the undead so the battle was difficult for me even without the spawning...and each load i did or once that i got out...its like the 50 undead keeped doubling...they were about 150 when i saw this and i could do nothing but cheat...(no earlier save...)even if this DOES seem logical to u the 5 times the same lich surely cant seem logical to anyone...it also is an impossible battle the 5 liches(=unlimited high lvl memorized spells)...I was about 12-13 lvl by the way at that time...just impossible...

PS : its not like I expect something I just said my experience...(I was playing with a friend btw and he couldnt stop "calling names" & cursing the game)
Ignorance Is Bliss

#20 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:44 AM

So it sounds like the best (easy) answer is to not let you go there until you have leveled up some more.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website