Photo

The Docks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beefstu

beefstu
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:13 PM

So I first mentioned this in a previous topic of mine, but i didn't want to post a new topic till i got a bit more information about it.

My progression into SoA so far is that I've accepted Gaelan Bayle's offer to raise money to free Immy and I've visited the copper coronet. That's it.

Now whenever i try to enter the docks (either through conventional or console means) the game will CTD in the loading screen. The game manages to save first.

Using the various tools I recently downloaded (in the hope of learning to mod perhaps, despite little to no prior experience) I thought I had traced the problem to the TIS files for the docks - AR0300(N).TIS. These 2 files could not be opened in NearInfinity and when i opened them in IETME they would show corrupted maps.

Hoping to find a fix for this myself I tried to copy the tis files from the cd (using WinBiff). These aren't corrupt, but after placing them in the override folder, i still can't enter the docks so i figure the problem lies elsewhere too. My next plan was to move the entire AREA0300.bif from the cd into the cd2/data/ folder (to replace the old one). I was worried about doing this as i don't know if the BP-BGT install process alters any of the existing biffs, but I thought, what have i got to lose (of course I made a backup of the old biff, though i'm worried i've fubared it after some crashes with WinBiff).

So now i've got a non-corrupt biff replacing my old one, but i still can't enter the docks and thats as far as my limited IE knowledge goes (and probably further than it goes too :wacko: )

Anyone's help would be kindly appreciated

Stu

#2 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:22 PM

You are the first I know of, from 100's of players, to report a problem with the docks at this stage of the game. Not sure of what the problem could be, because I nor anybody else I know has ever experienced it. My alterations of this area were very small indeed.

Putting tis from your bif's into the override is a no-no. Override TIS require a 24-bit header, the tis in the bif's require NOT having it.

BP nor BP-BGT alter any bif's. The alterations are in theKEY file, which directs what files to grab from which biff's. That's it.

#3 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

You are the first I know of, from 100's of players, to report a problem with the docks at this stage of the game. Not sure of what the problem could be, because I nor anybody else I know has ever experienced it. My alterations of this area were very small indeed.

Putting tis from your bif's into the override is a no-no. Override TIS require a 24-bit header, the tis in the bif's require NOT having it.

BP nor BP-BGT alter any bif's. The alterations are in theKEY file, which directs what files to grab from which biff's. That's it.

View Post

The problem is Check the Bodies. It patches hex-ly AR0300.ARE and somehow destroys the file. This may be that it is not able to account for the changes BP-BGT has made to AR0300.ARE, whatever they are. The best thing to do at the moment is to delete AR0300.ARE and play. It should work fine, but it is missing one NPC. Take your party close to Rylock and CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("CBSEACPT"). Then everything is as CtB should be.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#4 beefstu

beefstu
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

Ah right. Well CtB has never touched my computer. So it can't be that. Any other ideas?

#5 beefstu

beefstu
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:31 AM

View Post

Well to be precise i actually had TIS, WED, ARE, MOS and BCS files in my override folder by the time I'd given up. Considering what you said about the TIS files in the override i promptly deleted them (just the TIS). Hey presto, I'm in the docks.

Its strange how the biff got corrupted, but hey, its working now. I'm sure i can delete those extra AR0300 files in the overrdie but i always figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Anyway thanks for the help guys.

Stu