23 replies to this topic

#1 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures

Description
This EXE patch allows the player to speak to creatures that are under the effect of the charm creature opcode (used by charm, dire charm, and domination spells and abilities) in Baldur's Gate II. The normal behaviour in Baldur's Gate II is that talking to charmed creatures would be suppressed, and a string displayed in the text area reading "A mind controlled creature cannot speak to you." This behaviour is hard-coded into the BGMain.exe, with the relevant code shown below.

Conversing with charmed NPCs was a specific feature in Baldur's Gate I, since BioWare created dialogue that was uttered only when an NPC was spoken to when charmed. In Baldur's Gate II, this feature appears to have been disabled by the developers deliberately. The immediate ramification to this is that playing Baldur's Gate I using the Baldur's Gate II engine, as occurs in the case of using the modifications BG1Tutu, EasyTutu, and BGT-WeiDU, prevents the realisation of all dialogue uttered specifically by charmed creatures.

This EXE patch was created to remove the suppression of dialogue on charmed creatures, allowing charmed creature dialogues to occur in BG1Tutu, EasyTutu, and BGT-WeiDU. Additionally, this patch may open new possibilities for other Baldur's Gate II modifications.

The patch is installed through WeiDU, facilitating easy uninstallation and restoration of a backup copy in the case that glitches occur.

Installation Instructions
Extract 'A6CharmPatch_v1.rar' to your Baldur's Gate II installation directory.
Run the file 'Setup-A6CharmPatch.exe' that was created in the directory you nominated for extraction above.
Follow the on-screen prompts.
If the installation reports "Patched BGMain.exe at address <some number>", then BGMain.exe was patched successfully.
If the installation reports that "No patches made to BGMain.exe.", no changes were made to BGMain.exe. Please report it if this occurs, and give details as to your Baldur's Gate II version, distribution, and locale.

To uninstall this patch, run the file 'Setup-A6CharmPatch.exe' again, and follow the on-screen prompts.

Disclaimer
USE THIS EXE PATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK. The author is not responsible for any damage to your game, computer, or livelihood that may be caused by this patch.

This EXE patch has been tested to function correctly and without increasing the frequency of crash-to-desktops, but only on a limited number of differing BGMain.exe executables. Hence, it is not guaranteed that the patch will work correctly on your specific Baldur's Gate II version, distribution, and/or locale. If you find that this is the case, please report that the patch did not work or produced problems and give details as to your Baldur's Gate II version, distribution, and locale, so that the matter can be investigated.

Download

Edited by Ascension64, 30 November 2007 - 04:45 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:36 AM

Let me just be the first to say uNF uNF baby!

No, serioulsy. That's awesome. (But shouldn't it be in misc released mods?)

#3 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

(But shouldn't it be in misc released mods?)

Oh yeah, probably. I don't know if this can really be called a 'mod', though.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#4 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:59 AM

Awesome work mate! :new_thumbs:

#5 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:16 AM

:woot:

This is so cool! I've got a load of dialogues I had to scrap because they'd never be seen. Coolness!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:50 AM

What about the Ctrl+K:ld chars? 8)

And now we only need a speech option on going to the creaturess inventory and char tables :whistling: , so we'll have the 16 character party. :devil:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

I take it this should be installed before all other mods?

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

I take it this should be installed before all other mods?

Goes anywhere, anytime.

--------------
Retired Modder

#9 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

Brilliant move. Um.... this means I have to go back and add charmed conversations to my mod... maybe not-so-brilliant after all... :whistling: :lol: :Bow:

-Y-

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

Brilliant move. Um.... this means I have to go back and add charmed conversations to my mod... maybe not-so-brilliant after all... :whistling: :lol: :Bow:

-Y-

Well, no one said that you have to. :)

--------------
Retired Modder

#11 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

You mention it works for easututu, so should i still install it in the bg 2 directory?

The readme/this thread makes no mention of installing it in the tutu directory...it seems obvious, but if it could be confirmed.

Thanks, and looking forward to using it!

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:39 AM

The patch patches the BG2 executable, so it will work with anything that uses a BG2 executable to run.

--------------
Retired Modder

#13 Mayaserana

Mayaserana
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:45 AM

Just curious...is there any known reason this is not included in the Big World Project? Or should I ask THEM that?

Is it compatible with other exe-patches such as NoCD (from NEJ)?

#14 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:15 AM

Just curious...is there any known reason this is not included in the Big World Project? Or should I ask THEM that?

It should work. Ask Leonardo Watson about the BWP question.

--------------
Retired Modder

#15 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

You should be OK if you crack your game early before a lot installations especially with the A64 charm patch which alters your BGMain. I use it in that fashion and it is OK. It may work if you crack later on because the crack copies the BGMain anyway and gets rid of the ToB CD check. I have not tried any other cracks yet but there are a couple out there.

Installing the charm patch was tricky for me in a largely based BWP install. I should really document these things more because I can't remember what I did. Something like removing a stafxx.itm from the override because it made an error with the patch. Then the patch installed and I put the file back. Something along those lines.

Edited by Hoppy, 09 October 2008 - 12:58 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#16 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

We have found this patch and the XP patch of Ascension64 very late, because it was buried in this discussion thread. A link of Ascension64 signature has given us the clue, that these patches exists. Now, we try to include both patches in one of our next BWP versions.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#17 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:29 AM

Updated patch to version 3. Thanks to all those involved.
- Traified the mod
- Added German, Spanish, Italian and French translations
- Added VERSION flag

Download: http://www.shsforums...m...&showcat=73

--------------
Retired Modder

#18 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

I wonder if anyone tried this .exe mod with no-cd'ed bgmain.exe? If so, did it worked?

P.S. It really belongs to "miscellanious released mods" :)

Edited by Creepin, 04 December 2009 - 07:17 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#19 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

LOL :lol: The answer to your first question is right just 4 posts above yours ;)

It should work.

You should probably know that this patch searches for a particular 'code' in the .exe (which your noCD'ed one should also have) and makes changes to it :P

But you could also have made a backup of your BGMAin.exe and then run the patch to check ... if it fails, you could just restore the backup ;)

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 04 December 2009 - 09:27 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#20 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

LOL :lol: The answer to your first question is right just 4 posts above yours ;)

Crap, what a shame! I usually read topics before posting but this time I was sure none but me would've come up with this question :whistling:
Anyways, thanks for the hint! :)

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)